Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ruffian Price posted:

The guy keeps underestimating simple tasks, he'll go "ughhh nevermind" the second he sees a queue of more than ten requests

Some people will just ignore him, especially if they don't work in the same build he's showing up to (if he's even showing up to one). What'll he do, fire them? He'd have to take a break from killing Twitter to do that and it's not like their job's secure even if they do as he says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

fool of sound posted:

Got to say I didn't really expect Musk's incompetence to ruin the valuations of companies other than his own

Perhaps Elon Musk really is the Captain of Industry that we need.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

This is more of a civil lawsuit/class action thing.

Depending on the stuff he does that pisses off the FTC, I'm pretty sure jail can be on the table, even if unlikely.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Man they really need to work on their cars before they start adding all this auto drive bullshit that keeps getting people killed. Like take it easy and teach the car to parallel park first, then when it has that down add finding its own parking space instead of this no hands on the wheel on turbo mode nonsense.

I just remembered that the Tesla has a last second disable autopilot feature so the driver is always responsible for all crashes.

"Go fast and break things" is athe worst kind of development mantra. Especially when it comes to cars and in Tesla's case, is taken a bit too literal.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

boring company has pitched numerous proposals to different civic authorities and every proposal has been quietly shuttered with no further updates. its likely that the governments get to the public safety section of the review and realize that what musk is proposing is a massive fire hazard, consequent insurance risk, and further isn't at all ADA-compatible

My favorite was Miami . A city that is already dealing with increased flooding above ground and and is being slowly reclaimed by the sea. They're also pushing to expedite the permitting process, because of course they are. Due diligence is for suckers.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Congrats to everyone who wasn't fired and wished they had been on the 3 months severance they're about to receive when they ignore this insane pledge.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Realistic I don't see Twitter going bankrupt for at least another two year at the earliest.

Now in that two years it may and probably will stumble along like a drunken toddler, hemorrhaging money everywhere, but just with how much money was put into it and Musk not being the only investor, I can see more money shoveled into the garbage fire, if only to save face.

But yeah 100% would not want to be someone working there at that time.

drat it's been almost 2 years since this post? Feels like it was made only yesterday.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

As a DevOps engineer, this is hilarious. We'll get to see how well Twitter engineers built their systems at least.

Does it make the weekend?

This weekend is the start of the World Cup, so lol gently caress no. It'd be less likely than Amazon making it through Black Friday sales with nobody watching things.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The software also had a setting for slow rolling didn’t it? Like a literal “how much do you want to break the law by?” option.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Neito posted:

I mean, isn't this just a gambling-addiction-replay of when a bunch of colleges would really push credit cards with super skeevy terms on their students?

"If you sign up for this CC we give you a free T-Shirt too!"

I wonder how many applications were filled out with complete bullshit info by students looking for freebies. If it's less than 50% I'd be amazed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

follow that camel!! posted:

Nobody sane, but I find it plausible that the same type of randoms who tweet at Elon about how they'll show up and fix Twitter's codebase were able to sell him on the idea of getting paid to do code review via email attachments. I feel like he would grasp at any kind of life preserver at this point, even if it's made of lead.

I hope someone sends him the same email with the same code every week and sees how long it takes Elon to notice, if ever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Is he aware of

No. No he is not.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

He'll crowdfund a chudphone.

Does the FreedomPhone still exist? Because I see a Musk phone as basically that but worse.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not inclined to be that charitable to the founder of Post. Here he is in early 2021 complaining about how Google's corporate culture was too politically correct and the employees were too entitled:

Incidentally, he spends another chunk of the article complaining about spending time on legal, policy, and privacy requirements - all things that are very important for social media sites.

Oh boy a social media site founded by someone who still lives in a 90s techbro mindset. What a joy of a person he must be to work for.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Once again a big thank you to Grimes for shattering this rich shithead’s brain.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

lol if they don't have a freeze on shipping new features during that time of year, why do they need people in

Elon neglects his kids around the holidays (and the rest of the year) so clearly his employees should too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Zachack posted:

As a Volt owner I do in fact have that but it still requires some form of carbon cost due to electricity coming from somewhere and, thread relevant, after 5 years the free onstar service that let me remote lock/precondition/honk my car ended and went to a paid service, forcing me to turn on my car to defrost while scraping ice like a chump.

And no I'm not going to keep my windshield clean, I'm a goon. And I don't know about any treatments but where I live there's no snow so a lot of cold weather stuff (eg chains) aren't easily available.

If you have a remote starter your key fob should still let you remote start even without onstar, SiriusXM, or whatever other freebie service you had. :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

lmao Katie Nopoulos just brought up Something Awful moderation policy

Elon's gone from Trump vanity to Howard Hughes paranoia.

How low(tax) will he eventually go?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

I mean, he isn't wrong about it being discrimination, I'd say he is wrong to say "discriminate wisely" (unless it's sardonic.)

Edit: I read the quote wrong at first.

Libertarianism is generally pro-immigration, or was when I was one. It's one of the few things I still agree with the philosophy on.

It has always been pro "the right king of immigrant" immigration.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

HopperUK posted:

There prooobably isn't going to be an official SA one or anything. It gets discussed sometimes in the mod/admin forums but nobody thinks it's a particularly good idea.

Mastodon's a mess and I'm baffled at how that seems to be the not-Twitter thing getting pushed the most. Cohost and other stuff isn't great either but I think those are at least nominally secure and have a DM system that isn't pants on head stupid.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Isn't this only if you put in the full @[name]@[server]? If I pop in "@[name]" on Facebook Messenger or almost any other thing it has a pop up to add the person too or anything else so I'm not sure why this was considered some weird thing on Mastodon that adding a username will add someone to it.

IIRC, Mastodon adds them automatically and without warning when you mention them. Or did, maybe they've fixed it since it first came up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Funny thing about that idea is that banking comes with a LOT of regulation and scrutiny. Seeing as how they seem to be YOLOing the existing consent decree, I could see that one actually causing direct, personal damage to Musk since the "gently caress around" was clearly acknowledged as being past.

If you want an idea of what any sort of Twitter Banking would end up like, look at the Paypal credit card Musk pushed back during his brief tenure there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Szmitten posted:

I've minimised spam really well but I also did this and the moment I used the second one for work stuff (a local goverment council job too) it got inundated. It's inescapable, except for when it isn't.

I had a hotmail account that never got spam for close to a decade and within an hour of creating a battle.net account it got hit with spam and phishing mails. The first few mails were all about my non-existent WoW account too which just further drove home "this is not a coincidence" and that Blizzards poo poo was just that compromised.

Mister Facetious posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm loving gobsmacked that after firing them, Musk didn't hire an outsourcing company.

I like how he stopped paying rent and the media is all "a reasonable cost cutting measure."

What else could the media do? Criticize capitalism??

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

duz posted:

When he fired the lunch staff, he switched to giving a meal allowance that was less than what any meal nearby cost.

I wonder if it was more than it cost to just keep the lunch staff on board even without counting extra productivity from people taking a shorter lunch in office. In office lunch is a nice perk but a lot of places offer it because if people are taking 30-45 minutes (or less) for lunch instead of a 1 hour lunch then the company's getting some extra work out of it with can further offset the expense for them which still being a net positive for employees who don't need to go out and find a place to buy their own lunch.

PhazonLink posted:

California/Texas doesnt have snow

:thunk:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I worked in at least one tech company where we had the options of getting catered lunches from an outside provider on the house, I think it worked out for the company because it was cheaper to effectively buy in bulk and also kept people in office longer.

This is exactly it. Musk is a massive dipshit and literal slave driver, so he sees "we spend money on X" and decides "if we remove X, we save money" when the reality is that companies provide this sort of benefit because it's an overall net gain for them. Spend maybe $10 per person on a catered lunch and get an extra hour of work out of them (and those employees' work is worth far more than that cost)? You'd have to be an idiot to not see that as a benefit to your company as well. Toss in the occasional catered dinner, especially later at 6-7pm, and you'll have people stick around an extra hour or two, or more, as well.

Musk doesn't care, because he's just abusing his employees since it's all he knows or cares to do.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's what it always comes back to. If people are in the habit of working through lunch, that's an hour to an hour-and-a-half a day of reading Twitter productive time you get back. The problem, it's a visible expense with invisible benefits, so high up on the cost-cutting board.

It's only invisible if nobody in the company puts together data showing the difference and time (free additional work) loss that not having it causes.Canceling it is one of those short-sighted "easy wins" that falls apart if you take more than even a cursory glance at the impact. Average salary of your tech employees is six figures, or high 5 figures? Even $20 per person per lunch is going to be a gain for you if you get only 30 minutes of extra work out of them by doing so.

I don't mind the lunch thing because for a lot of places the convenience is just worth it from an employee perspective but the "we're catering dinner on these days at 6-7pm" stuff is pretty blatant.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 5, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Yes that was my point.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Back when he was shutting the cafeteria, Musk posted about how it was costing $300 per employee per meal. Even Nazi Jack weighed in to call bullshit, but Elon just posted some bullshit figures "justifying" his stance, noped out of the thread and hasn't said a word about it since.

$300 per person per meal is such a comically high bullshit number too. Spending that much per person would be, like, waygu steaks and caviar prepared by Michelin star chefs levels of expense. The total cost when all was said and done was probably not even $30 per employee. Even if it was, if he said "it was $30 per employee" Musk would've been called out immediately and repeatedly by people pointing out that'd be a bargain for the amount of extra work Twitter would be getting out of its six-figure-salaried workforce.

Musk is just an incredibly stupid man who unfortunately has millions of even stupider people who hang on his every word.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Foxfire_ posted:

Was he trying to claim that it was $300/meal in direct costs? There's maybe a reasonable argument that a cafeteria sized and staffed for feeding pre-pandemic-everybody-in-office is bigger than work-from-home twitter needs, but even that's an argument for laying off some of the cooks, not getting rid of the cafeteria entirely (and ignoring that he was also trying to end WFH)

idiotsavant posted:

Iirc he included extra stuff like estimated monthly kitchen rent & equipment costs in the number

There is no feasible way to have it cost $300 per person per meal unless Twitter was going through entire kitchens worth of high end equipment every month. After the initial expenditure on equipment, making meals in bulk was probably at most $10 worth of ingredients per person and the operational cost of a cafeteria divided by hundreds (or thousands) of employees would be a pittance of additional cost per meal.

Unless Twitter was spending millions per month renting equipment (which is a lie, since Musk was selling the kitchen equipment) you couldn't come anywhere close to $300 per employee per meal. Musk lied. Badly. Because he sucks as lying as much as he sucks at designing an electric truck.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

So it's basically a more costly train system?

Not even that. It's just a more costly, limited use, highly dangerous car tunnel system.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's literally just to get across the Convention Centre from the parking lot. It's a glorified valet service but in a lovely tunnel.

IIRC the contract also requires Boring Co to move a huge number more people than is even possible with this system, or they have to pay massive penalties. So the only people paying for this are Boring Co itself.

Another success by business genius rocket man Elon Musk!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Perestroika posted:

It would literally be more efficient (and safer) if they'd just let people walk through the tunnel. It's not even two miles long.

That tunnel probably has no airflow aside from the motion of the cars and I sure as poo poo don't expect the lights to be maintained well, if at all.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tech advances will regularly push people out and that's fine when we properly account and plan for it. The end goal of this stuff should be that people need to work fewer and fewer hours while keeping the same or a better QOL. Granted, that isn't how the real world has gone, especially in the US ever since Reagan got into office and productivity:wage ratios went to poo poo.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I was curious about the actual route of this tunnel and lol

It's not even 1 km long, and the entire building is already connected so you can walk it without leaving the building and dealing with the heat.

It's peak techbro bullshit and truly amazing.

Exactly the kind of genius I'd expect from the company that wanted to do this poo poo in Miami, a city that's going to pull an Atlantis over the coming decades and sits atop extremely porous limestone.

Main Paineframe posted:

The people who'll have their lives made worse by ChatGPT'd legal arguments won't be judges and lawyers, it'll be poor people hoping for cheap legal advice.

Hell, how many years do you think it'll be before some Southern state tries to abolish public defenders altogether and tells indigent defendants to use LawGPT-4 instead? Somebody will absolutely try it.

You have the right to an attorney, nobody ever said it had to be a person and not just an AI giving you "advice" :fsmug:

PDs would probably love the ability to punch their excessive workload into a system and have an AI churn out a rough draft for them to read over for a client's case though.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 10, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Blut posted:

Some more good news for Twitter in Europe:

https://www.ft.com/content/44cda247-7f53-4296-abf0-9b7446f5d04f

(non-paywalled archive link: https://archive.is/OmND3)

It sounds like Twitter basically assumed US employment law applied everywhere in the world, that they could completely ignore local requirements (they did the same as this in Ireland too I know). Which I can only presume was because they had already fired their legal department at this stage, its hilariously incompetent for a huge multinational company.

Let's not pretend this was a Twitter decision when it was an Elon Musk The Captain Of Industry decision he made on a whim.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

This amount of micromanagement looks like a giant red flag to me, but I guess he's hoping he can pull a Chris Roberts-level of monetization.

His monetization and over-inflation of Tesla's stock value (which has is still too high even after the drop over the last year) is so far above and beyond anything Chris Roberts or most other people could dream of doing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

“I was writing C programs in the ’90s,” he said dismissively. “I understand how ­computers work.” Is some top-tier Engineer Brain.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

This thread title will never be surpassed

Merge the titles and unlock Yedolf.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

What I’m more surprised about is that Twitter had 7500 employees according to that article. Like what in the world were all those people doing? It’s not like Twitter is/was a big umbrella company with different distinct divisions and products like Facebook (the website itself, the VR unit, etc) or Google. All they do is run the website? What am I missing?

If that includes contractors, not just FTEs, I could see them having 7500 "employees" if they had properly staffed their T&S, content moderation, support, etc teams (or tried to). A quick look online found an old mention of Facebook having 15,000 content moderators and Twitter had around 1,500 at the time. So that's 20% of the total right there. Then add in customer support, trust and safety, security teams...etc.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 21, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Any legal experts want to chime in on the legality of this asinine plan?

https://twitter.com/jbrowder1/status/1616628244840579074?s=20&t=2y4LZI4NMR5oUuUDnjWOKA

TLDR DoNotPay wants to stick an earpiece in some poor schmuck and have it argue his traffic case for him.

IANAL however courtrooms usually have rules regarding what, if any, electronic devices are allowed. Considering that this is effectively providing legal counsel via a non-licensed party I can't imagine the judge being too happy about if it they aren't told in advance and give their blessing under the understanding of "if you gently caress up your case because you used this AI, that's not ground for an appeal."

I think that Legal-focused AIs could be very useful for helping research arguments for a case since it could theoretically find other relevant cases and flag them to you both for your arguments and to prepare for counter arguments which could be a huge help to the nation's overworked public defenders. That is not what this company is trying to do though because it wouldn't get them the same amount of attention as this stupid stunt will.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You know, you gotta imagine that someone, somewhere, is pitching the idea to venture capitalists of "Twitter, but with an actual content moderation and ad sales team, and without the narcissistic manchild or billion-dollar debt payments".

At this stage you could probably hire back most of the staff too.

Does Facebook have anything like it in the their app? Not the usual wall of update poo poo but a literal, shameless clone of Twitter but accessible to their billion+ daily users? If not, maybe they should've made that instead of set fire to billions of dollars making a VR miiverse but worse.

BiggerBoat posted:

OK fine.

Except MS/Sony already know that I own the game.

They're probably afraid that if they didn't have the always online component, people would just... not go online on their consoles and sell the physical copy while keeping access or something? Companies continue to worry about piracy while forgetting that all those hoops are what drive people to it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Blut posted:

Right, but if the company workers overwhelming support the Dems, and the company executives overwhelming support the Dems,

For fucks sake, Facebook has multiple execs and senior leadership who were part of Republican administrations while people like Musk, Zuckerberg, and Bezos have always been right wing trash. Then you have other tech assholes like literal supervillain Peter Thiel. Or the massive amounts of dark money that is the main way these kinds of people operate politically.

Those people don't "support the Dems" they at most donate to where they see the wind blowing in terms of protecting their smaug-like money hoards. Peter Thiel boosted a senate candidate who, if they had their way, would criminalize Thiel's very existence, because Thiel felt the odds were low that'd happen while the odds were high that the person would help accomplish their other goals.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I guess the AI Lawyer guy isn’t going through with it anymore according to NPR:

Anyway, I was under the impression—based entirely on TV and movies—that one could choose to represent themselves even if they were not a bar certified lawyer. Is this not true? And if it is true what’s the argument for not letting a rando “practice” law with an AI chatbot?

Because the AI Chatbot would presumably meet the threshold for being consider to provide legal services despite not being cleared to do so. It's not "I looked this stuff up on Google" it's "I'm just repeating what my AI lawyer tells me to say."

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 26, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The idea of allowing lawyers to just have laptops open in court so they can google poo poo mid-trial for their argument sounds like an absolute circus. And not even an entertaining and useful circus like if political debates included real-time fact-checking on a big screen behind the candidates when one of them is lying their rear end off.

ianmacdo posted:

So could an ai programmer use their own ai lawbot in court?

No because the necessary equipment to interact with it will not be allowed in the courtroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

When execs say stuff like they take "full responsibility for the decisions that led us here" and continues their usual late stage capitalism bullshit, every employee getting fired should be allowed to take a shot at them consequence-free.