Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

It should be no suprise that we're selecting for researchers who are good at getting grants funded, not those who are necessary good at science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The sf trains and busses are always failing in minor ways. The driver will just come and do some minor fix. Without people to do that the system would poo poo a brick.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Radbot posted:

I still find it pretty weird how Elizabeth Holmes became a business goddess and a (near-?)billionaire when the only product she ever presided over was a complete failure. That's America for you, I guess.

She's probably not a billionaire. She owns what was asserted to be worth 1b of theranos stock.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Radbot posted:

I get that you didn't personally decide to make her rich. I'm just shaking my head in awe of a system that allows a person who has never made a working product to become richer than most people's wildest fantasies.

That stock is only of theoretical value until she is able to sell it. Maybe she was able to offload it to cash somehow at some point, but if not then :lol:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

As does rent control.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

It was better when it was call Knight Rider.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

NLJP posted:

Dude seems to basically be a libertarian and never seen a regulation he didn't want gone from what I see. Oh excuse me, disrupted. Whateverfire, what kind of regulations are sacrosanct and need to be kept safe from disruptors?

I'm not going to go to bat for removing food regulations, but there are plenty of dumb laws that should be tossed out (such as urban form laws). It isn't unreasonable to have some level of skepticism towards over/mis regulation.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

archangelwar posted:

Reasonable skepticism involves examining the history of a law, what it was meant to prevent, why it was created, how it impacted/impacts an industry, and then demonstrating the positive impact of removing the law or why the return of what the law removed would be welcome. It isn't "gently caress laws that get in the way of profits."

Somewhat, sure. But on this forum especially there is a strong bias towards existing/proposed law, with little regard towards actual demonstration of cost benefit analysis. If somewhere tried to make it illegal to cook at home, people here would come out of the woodwork to defend that law.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

It always strikes me as funny when people decry SFs high gini coefficient. Thats basically proof we haven't evicted all the poors.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Pokemon go for food delivery

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Gail Wynand posted:

What's next, Big McLargeHuge?

Other articles have said he changed his name to that when he got married.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I occasionally get linkedin spam about theranos positions. Maybe I should interview out of curiosity.

My tech said she a while back did and got interviewed by Holmes.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Jumpingmanjim posted:

SpaceX blew up Facebook's satellite and now Mark Zuckerberg is mad.

Mark Zuckerberg sighed as he put on his occulus rift.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Doesn't the NSA have a front company they can buy twitter with?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I used to be a member of biocurious. They are basically structurally unable to ever accomplish anything. Good at PR and nothing else.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

As far as "biohacking" goes, I don't see a problem with goofy quantified self poo poo as long as you're your own guinea pig and are willing to live with the consequences, i.e. eating nothing but cheese for macronutrient purposes only to end up on the throne for hours with horrendous constipation.

I do have a problem with the undeserved arrogance exhibited by software engineers who think programming skills equate to a medical doctorate in their field of choice and the VC money sacks who fall for this and fund their potentially harmful medical ambitions that are little better than "hold my beer and watch this" performed in a semi-clinical setting.

No one is really funding this. At best there is minimal Kickstarter money. There is nothing but hype.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

fishmech posted:

Worth remembering that the average car on the road right now is 12 years old. Even if every car that was sold from tomorrow onward was fully autonomous, it would be likely to take at least 12 years for normal processes of car buying and junking to get us to a majority of cars on the road having the functionality.

What is the average age of a passenger railcar?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

fishmech posted:

That's not who matters, who matters are the people who would be providing this year's $3 billion to light on fire. Since nearly every ride incurs massive losses for Uber and all.

Does uber actually lose money on rides, or is their take insufficient to cover their bloated overhead?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

This thread claims that uber takes 20% of the fare as fees and simultaneously gives the driver an extra ~100% of the fare as an anticompetitive VC subsidy.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Switzerland posted:

We should start doing what the UAE did with their islands of the world thing... build straight out from ocean beach, sorted.

The california coast hates everyone and will crush your poo poo to sand.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

A VR company encouraging employees to have real life sexual encounters sounds like they don't have confidence in their industry.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

curufinor posted:

we've only had the one thing to talk about in tech :biotruths: land for this past few days

*whipcrack*

Welcome to a world known as Google.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

A non commercial matlab license is like 200 + 50 per toolbox. Python is probably preferable due to cost, but I have one because I use it so much at work that it helps to have personal access.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The least significant bit of images, especially if it is 12 bits or more is probably essentially ramdom due to counting and readout noise. You may be able to use it as a one time pad

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Short sellers do God's work.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I'm not even sure a modern cmos image sensor could work with a flash.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

fishmech posted:

They do, but they don't need to be quite as powerful. Because the sensors have gotten better.

Cmos sensors don't read out the whole frame at once, so the flash needs to be uniformly bright during the whole frame time.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

While technically true that readback isn't done all at once, exposure generally is so it isn't relevant.

This is incorrect for the devices I'm familiar with. Do you have an example of a global shutter rolling readout chip?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

Edit: My coworker said we are working on a bizarre branch of image sensors.

Spazzle fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 16, 2017

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Just use lyft instead. Uber is like the easiest thing to not use.

My wife was taking a lyft home a couple of weeks ago and was propositioned by the driver.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

gently caress george church and his endless fountain of bullshit

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

quote:

The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory. He's got esprit up to here. Right now, he is preparing to carry out his third mission of the night. His uniform is black as activated charcoal, filtering the very light out of the air. A bullet will bounce off its arachnofiber weave like a wren hitting a patio door, but excess perspiration wafts through it like a breeze through a freshly napalmed forest. Where his body has bony extremities, the suit has sintered armorgel: feels like gritty jello, protects like a stack of telephone books.

When they gave him the job, they gave him a gun. The Deliverator never deals in cash, but someone might come after him anyway-might want his car, or his cargo. The gun is tiny, aero-styled, lightweight, the kind of a gun a fashion designer would carry; it fires teensy darts that fly at five times the velocity of an SR-71 spy plane, and when you get done using it, you have to plug it into the cigarette lighter, because it runs on electricity.

The Deliverator never pulled that gun in anger, or in fear. He pulled it once in Gila Highlands. Some punks in Gila Highlands, a fancy Burbclave, wanted themselves a delivery, and they didn't want to pay for it. Thought they would impress the Deliverator with a baseball bat. The Deliverator took out his gun, centered its laser doohickey on that poised Louisville Slugger, fired it. The recoil was immense, as though the weapon had blown up in his hand. The middle third of the baseball bat turned into a column of burning sawdust accelerating in all directions like a bursting star. Punk ended up holding this bat handle with milky smoke pouring out the end. Stupid look on his face. Didn't get nothing but trouble from the Deliverator.

Since then the Deliverator has kept the gun in the glove compartment and relied, instead, on a matched set of samurai swords, which have always been his weapon of choice anyhow. The punks in Gila Highlands weren't afraid of the gun, so the Deliverator was forced to use it. But swords need no demonstrations.

The Deliverator's car has enough potential energy packed into its batteries to fire a pound of bacon into the asteroid Belt. Unlike a bimbo box or a Burb beater, the Deliverator's car unloads that power through gaping, gleaming, polished sphincters. When the Deiverator puts the hammer down, poo poo happens. You want to talk contact patches? Your car's tires have tiny contact patches, talk to the thee asphalt in four places the size of your tongue. The De liverator's erator's car has big sticky tires with contact patches the size of a fat lady's thighs. The Deliverator is in touch with the road, starts like a bad day, stops on a peseta.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/passantino/status/981275452365946880?s=21

https://twitter.com/tom_winter/status/981271484411899904?s=21

wait when the gently caress did Zuckerberg rename the loving hospital?

the Bay Area is a dystopian hellworld

Well, it is a new facility, right?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

sleep with the vicious posted:

Teslol lolst 700 millol lollars in lol1

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

cheese posted:

Fiscally conservative, socially liberal. The new Democratic party base.

I'm a fiscally conservative socially liberal bay area engineer. I'm fiscally conservative because I believe a generous social welfare state should be funded by heavy taxes on high earners and wealthy people.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

luxury handset posted:

nothing's changed. uber's basic problem is that they spent billions building a huge market and customer base, except the service uber provides is extremely easy to replicate. except uber has higher overhead costs from trying to force a monopoly basically. and their only path to short term profitability is to raise fares, potentially pushing that customer base to any number of competitors and triggering the final death spiral

giving up on self driving trucks (a stupid idea for now) could be a sign of wiser, less frivolous spending, or a sign that the company is headed towards a severe contraction

Lyft has a self driving car program too.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

luxury handset posted:

lyft is using self driving cars developed by a third party company, they aren't trying to do it in house because lyft doesn't have a shitload of investors to impress

https://www.aptiv.com/media/article/aptiv-launches-fleet-of-autonomous-vehicles-on-the-lyft-network

Ok dude, I've met some of them and there are 20+ job openings on their website for it. https://www.lyft.com/jobs.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I know a guy who studies medieval economics in his graduate studies. His claim is that one of the largest problems facing old economies was lack of liquidity. That is, all the money gets tied up in a few hoards, and there is nothing left for people to use.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's legal gambling.

An honest ponzi

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

suck my woke dick posted:

Probably too early for that, but it would be hilarious if a company hyping the novel idea of "what if we rent property and charge other people to use it" pops the tech bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Platystemon posted:

RMS was a computer toucher who hadn’t touched computers in decades.

The signs were all there.

Computers got too old?