Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

styls trill epic posted:

What I mean is I want to feel like I'm really in a car going fast as heck and seeing stuff whip past the window and steering etc. I dont want to like, be brutally punished for braking too late and stuff like that. Is it wrong to play a fun arcade style thing but have a wheel and a monitor?

From my own experience (getting into RBR for like 3 weeks now), the absolute best feeling of going fast needs you to have that sword above your head. I probably will never play these track sims because im sorta in the same zone you are. I don't want to put up good times per se, know a track and so on. I want to throw a fuckin vehicle around and go fast/to the edge and that requires me not to know whats coming. Driving a quattro on some small road where theres no guardrail and you are steering a rocket is very hard to beat once you try it out lol. I'm not even good, mind you, but you can just retire/do diff races p easily in RBR so idgaf. Competency will come naturally with time. It loving kicks rear end sliding your car around, fighting your wheel, etc.

SwissDonkey posted:

Truth. And bass shakers and a wind sim. And a motion platform. The immersion rabbit hole is deep and expensive. Source: my wallet

Thank god I do not have the space for most of the extreme poo poo. I was looking up the buttkicker then realized how easy the bass shaker setup is. Since I'm loading all my poo poo onto a playseat I have a hard physical limit on what I can do before it explodes like some sort of gmod prop explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
randomly checking fanatec site and the static paddles being 60 dollars for no reason.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Squiggle posted:

Christ, this is like discovering weed all over again.

Bored and two thousand miles from my only friend who drives stick, I thought it'd be fun to buy a G923 and the H-shifter and use BeamNG to learn the principles myself. For fun! Just a little bit, on weekends.
Then I realized I owned Dirt Rally 2.0 from an old bundle, and oh drat, it's a lot of fun to slam through the gears and ride the rollercoaster. It's a really fun rush. I really like this high.

Then I come into this thread and find out there's fuckin'...vaporizers and giant techno-bongs and hypobaric chambers I can cocoon myself into for thousands of dollars to fully envelop myself in weed-smoke 24/7 like a Spacing Guild navigator.

For now I've picked up Assetto Corsa on mega-deal from Humble, and we'll just...see how this all develops.

I love your setup but good god does the density of your calendar stress me out.

All these nerds are playing track racers, multiplayer... having friends. It's time to become the lone motherfuckin' wolf. How about a PS2 game that incites you to spend untold hundreds n hundreds of dollars on a handbrakes, sequentials, big 350mm steering wheels...

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

njsykora posted:

The continued development and expansion of Richard Burns Rally is truly terrifying to behold at times.

i just noticed it got an update after going afk and they finally saved per car specific vr position... good god

also i changed my heusinkveld shifter/handbrake usbs to L connectors and while looking at the wires that came with them i noticed they are theyre made by the god drat assmann.com...

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 20, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Finally got around to setting up my CSL load cell pedals.

I learned a few things right away:
- I need to hard mount the pedals and my seat. Not sure how I'm going to do this yet. I use this computer and desk for everything so whatever I do needs to fit underneath and also be movable so I can go back to my normal chair. The desk is very solid and the wheel doesn't cause any issues.

- Even assuming I get a solid seat-pedal connection, the brake elastomers are still absurdly stiff. I can put practically my whole bodyweight into it and it only moves ~10-15mm. With the brake force set to even 50% I'd wear out my braking leg in a couple laps. I've read they soften with use but I'm already looking at alternatives.

welcome to do not hurt your foot mode. I'm slightly different since i basically took what was meant for chairs and just replaced the connector with a bike tube mount for my playseat but this thing is supposed to be for computer chairs. Really you just have to dial in the distance/angle over time to find out what is comfortable, its annoying af but since every leg is different you just have to find that sweetspot. Also wear shoes on your braking foot. the brake crap definitely comes off as overhype but I do like the pressure based more than the floating lever mode. You get used to the change from travel to pressure pretty quick, just do a map with a lot of straights-> sharp turns. I ended up just getting an actual puma motorsport shoes because my wide foot is hell with pedals since regular shoes tend to keep it wider going downward whereas motorsport shoes are basically lil evil goblin shoes. suffice to say I'm glad nobody can see me putting those shoes on for the computer because it'd land a critical hit to my self respect. i comfort myself by thinking that i Haven't debased myself by using gloves at least

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
its a factor of me being in a playseat imo, the angle is all wrong to my leg length and crap. so doing barefooted braking for hours on end made me pay the price afterward, I was on the V3's tho i imagine they're similar. See now my brain understands the gloves, but my heart won't allow it. so, naturally, I instead spent hundreds of dollars on a SRM emu+a big beautiful leather 350mm deep dish.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
every game has people who play forever and are still bad and i just can't comprehend it. i can only pray they are stoned out of their minds

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Fellblade posted:

No matter how good you get at sim racing, there’s always an alien who is way faster.

Obi wan kenobi (padawan helmet sim racing): theres always a faster 14 year old on a 10 year old laptop and g27

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

bUm posted:

Finally did some deeper research and, yeah, seems like I can either wait who knows how long for the CSL DD (without paying an extra $100 for the Gran Turismo branding) or go with the Moza for more budget oriented DD. Kind of annoying that the Moza DD seems well priced and quality-wise on reviews, but without any wheel selection to match--just recently coming out with an affordable one that seems too light on buttons (and only on the official site so far I think which has $165+ shipping to the US) or a $500 good one which makes the combined price a good deal higher than CSL DD w/ boost + ClubSport hub w/ wheel bundle that seemed like a good all-round setup. Also: lol that there's guides on how to make your own boost box for the CSL DD for $30, instead of the $150 upcharge Fanatec has since it's apparently just a 180W power brick with a somewhat weird plug (4 pin like a modular power supply).

Getting closer to going ahead and pulling the trigger on snagging Fanatec CSL pedals w/ LC to at least get that improved braking feel though--still pretty on the fence about $1000 for a DD + wheel.

since you're playing rally crap, if you do go fanatec and really don't care for having every xbox button in the world on your wheel for other games, one possible way to save money is to just get an SRM adapter (tho make sure to have a QR or w/e prefit on there since you'd have to actually do work otherwise to wire them) and throw some moderately cheap knockoff wheel on there. I only play RBR and just ended up buying a programmable 9 keypad and just use that for menus arrow keys+enter+esc.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 17, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

bUm posted:

This cropped up in YT recommendeds and may be neat to people talking about Le Mans recently. An onboard lap guide from 1956: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpRFagIbcPE

1950's streamer technology

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
bought some cheapo aliexpress knockoff in the style of 326power rally wheel and it owns. This thing is comfortable as hell.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Fire up the Richard Burns Rally

that's what i was coming off of lol. did like a 66 mile 13 stage over two hours straight through with no particular fatigue. it was pacenotes audio only too :rip: everybody.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It really depends on how well they’re placed. Some of these notes distance triggers & graphic placements are :thunk:.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It just comes with rallysimfans, just have to push a button in the launcher to set it on.

E: yeah to control it you either have to get a keyboard, keypad ( i just use a 9 keypad) or you could map xinput to keys via some program could also work

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 7, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Been driving the lancia stratos in RBR and thank god for invincible practice mode

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sashimi posted:

The rotary knobs and dials all feel great, although ALL of the front dials fell off during the first night.

Lol

I imagine on asphalt DD is like whatever. May be why I stick to games that have poo poo roads. Jamming your tire into a hole/hitting or landing poo poo wrong owns. Would recommend just inputting ‘(wheel name) (game name) settings’ into Youtube

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bruc posted:

Are there any good guides out there for someone who is like 100% new to sim racing? most of the guides I see are about higher end stuff or what gear to get. I grabbed Asetto Corsa a few months ago to try in vr and ended up grabbing a T300 to play with it and also grabbed dirt 2.0 and Project cars 2 on sales and have been messing with them but I have no idea what I am doing as someone who has only ever played arcade racers and get annihilated by ai on the default difficulties so far.

brake more

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
really you can learn the theory with something like this series which iirc i looked at like once way back but really i just learned mostly by ramming my head directly into RBR, and im still not consistently good lol.

Trying to put some of the basics off the top of my head, you're managing a few things in sim racing that are handwaved away alot in arcade.
You're transferring you're weight, and if you do it wrong you get sent to heaven.
You're managing your tire grip. you can't just go pedal to medal whenever and you also can't brake max power whenever you want.
you're synthesizing the two by throwing the weight of the car around by understanding how you weight is transferred and tires interact with the surface, also you're saving the car by countering forces you didn't intended to apply.
you're looking at a corner and deciding when to brake, how hard to brake and when to accelerate. in rally you might pushing the brake and accelerator at the same time.
with multiple cars you have to keep track of them in order to not get sent to heaven by somebody else since a bump might be able to be corrected but also that requires you to react instantaneously and accurately.
In short prepare to be owned for a bit, a lot of stuff on is simple in theory and completely different when deciding and executing on the spot. Just have to put in the time.

e: oh yeah and pay the :fivecbux: for content manager for assetto corsa. it is so ridiculously easy to mod/start races/change settings/etc. im kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 12, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Selling myself as a fuccboi to afford iracing content

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i was throwing myself at drifting, figured it’d be no problemo. Couldn’t get it for the life of me. Which is weird considering i play rbr. That drat assetto drift e30 has semi slicks on by default lol.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

VelociBacon posted:

I have a really hard time with it also and spent a ton of time drifting in reality. It just seems like they made the friction way too low in sim, to me.

If you never tried to mess with it I’d just swap out the tires, street 90s instantly made it more manageable. Throwing my head at the wall with semi slick ice skates did improve my rbr gravel sliding though lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
SHH Shifter is the one parked in that position. like 115'ish shipped.

e: now that i think about it that aliexpress has h-pattern/seq thingers too. lil rougher looking i'd just compare youtube vids idk. is cheaper tho <100

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 26, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Time to help you lose money again. Fanatec has one, and it has a mount and is probably the one you'd think makes most money sense since typically amazon goes 70'ish->fanatec 130. but then you have to buy their big beautiful usb adapter and table clamp adapter and rail adapter so its actually 200+ dollars lol. at that point you might as well say gently caress it and buy an aiologs brick for 250 and never think about it again. Never used it personally but it was on my list when I was thinking of getting one vs heusinkveld (which I ended up getting and which owns but is impossible to clamp). They're based in russia tho, so dunno if they got their payments sorted but glancing at their site maybe they have. Though they do have resellers around the world you could buy through. There is of course other brands like bj sim racing, vnm and so on but I can't think of a clampable one off the top of my head not to mention its got a small footprint. Dunno about what you're clamping it to vs the forces involved tho.

So for those reason I'd just look around amazon/aliexpress/ebay again unless you want to drop like 100-200 more dollars. You won't be able to make aluminum profile creak or rip your table apart though :colbert:

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 20, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Douchebag posted:

Running a Radeon RX 5700. It is nowhere near top of the GPU food chain at this point. I was getting 59FPS, and my GPU temp was ticking off around 198-200 so I shut it down. This was in a test session. Dropped into an ARCA practice with about 10 cars on track and it still ran smooth but I could hear the fans kicking into jet plane mode.

drat amd cards don't give a gently caress. if its already maxing the fan out, given there is sufficient flow through the case then the fancypants solution is to sacrifice a few percent of performance and undervolt

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
RBR update now has soft lock per car apparently, and a lot of mod tools been coming out or announced for it recently to more easily edit pace notes/create maps. Pretty good. Also I spent money like a good lil piggy and got sprints lol. I think it was fanatecs fundamentally being floor pedals in design that pissed me off forever. Terrible ergonomics for my big rear end feet. An absolutely pain in the rear end baseplate design tho, they should throw whoever designed it into a river.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Any way to run RBR in VR? I don't have a monitor on my rig at the moment and miss the game :sweatdrop:

You can but if you're saying you have no monitor at all I don't think you can boot into it, unless you can somehow pull off some true nerd poo poo. I'd just get a 10 dollar goodwill monitor to boot windows. btw if you have no vr headset to begin with, and you don't mind the wire, there are reverb g2's on ebay that I'm pretty sure are cosmetic defect/refurbs for like 200. i sidegraded to one of those suckers from a OQ2 and it kicks rear end, you can set it to default launch steamvr instead of windows bloated POS launcher.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 9, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
then you're good. only thing you need for menus in VR RSF at least is arrows keys+enter/esc. also controller triggers to position viewpoint/reset position tho I think its possible with keys.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 9, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Space Camp fuckup posted:

How’s the FOV on those? The Rift I’ve been using is neat but it feels like I’m driving with binoculars.

for the low end you'll never escape the low fov, just paying for increasing pixels/better screens I think. most of the low end ones in the 90'ish horizontal fov range, give for take 5 or so. prob why index is popular with goons since if you had compatible base stations its only (lol) 500 dollars. think that one is a bit below 110 fov. then you really have to start shelling out serious cash for increases.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

now they need to design an ActiveShifter and you can feel yourself grinding the poo poo out of your gearbox in high definition

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Space Camp fuckup posted:

About a month ago a few people were talking about the HP Reverb G2. I picked one up, holy poo poo! Huge upgrade over the Oculus. Better image quality, better FOV, significantly more comfortable, and using the built in Windows software is way less of a hassle than the Oculus crap. Super happy with that purchase for sure.

WMR app->settings->startup and desktop and check steamvr if you haven't already. dodge the weird af windows launcher if you haven't already. Then get desktop+ on steam or w/e equivalent

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I'm one of those people and it's the only VR headset I've ever used, I never understand it when people say they get sweaty or uncomfortable, I do hours of driving straight in it no issues. Good product tho the right speaker is starting to be intermittent in mine.

lol with the OQ2 you'd be sweating eventually and be like "drat im driving hard as hell"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Will it press? The laguna seca corkscrew

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Racing line is like dual use. At first its just to learn wtf a braking point is then its sorta useless as, if your hotlapping, its not truly the extremes of the apex then it becomes a convienent marker for braking points. Having a friend to do hotlaps with is probably the most effective way to drill in the fundamentals imo. You see them get further away as you go slow. Like say perfecting the 2nd laguna turn alone would be infuriating as hell by yourself.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The one thing from Forza that i would make a wish to a genie to put in all sims: a rewind key. That poo poo would rock

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

iracing has active reset where you can set a point anywhere on track you like, and with a button you're back at that same point going the same speed and all that. Great for practicing one tricky turn, pit entry, or a sector over and over until you get it right.

Unfortunately for me im a brain addled moron who only plays the ps2 rally game ( which has had some sick map releases recently)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
an absolutely criminally overpriced push pull shifter released right as i do my taxes late as hell and get a refund.... time to get swindled

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
lol i was gonna order a fancy doodle wheel for my podium mount (Hub?) but was like nah at the last second and cancelled & got the refund but they sent it anyway. one neat trick...

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 27, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Personally, never had big problems with mine. only thing i can think of is you can slowly yank out the shaft if you put enough force through the wheel, eventually disconnecting the usb-c that connects the wheel to the base. (mind, this is from pulling it toward you ever so slowly) which is why its got that clamp. pretty easy to fix tho you shove it back in and tighten it. Has happened maybe twice through a year tho I play RBR only so I'm really cranking that POS oft-times.

I'd look around because afaik you can get more powerful bases for equivalent cost nowadays, i think? i mean its all gonna work fine either way because DD ftw. also supposedly theyre redoing their qr system but idk. Also i sold that free wheel and got a mod. drift off ebay, drat suede+gloves is sick lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Things are still going incredibly poorly for Motorsport Games lol

rbr=matrix oatmeal
dozer=me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
one of the RBR map makers made this beautiful map (Legazpi-Gabiri), has pipeline to help make these outdoorsy maps more easily. then immediately started making some urban map that required insane amounts of work virtualizing 40 bajillion buildings. absolutely incredible brain