Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Deakul posted:

I'll never get what people see in FEAR, the environmental destruction was cool but I thought that every single gun felt like total poo poo.

Most of them were really inaccurate and had crazy recoil.

Nevermind the level design was just endless office spaces, industrial basements, and what I think were sewers?

At one point in the game an invisible solder appeared, drop kicked me, then jumped clear up into the ceiling ventilation and ran away.

I guess that's dumb AI or something but it was one of the most simultaneously hilarious and sudden things I've ever remembered in gaming, and I loved the immense pressure that the enemies in that game put on you if you tried to hide in cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Zaphod42 posted:

No. If you were clever maybe you could hack it to let you, but the thing is... VR is not really about VR. Like, the VR part of VR is cool and important, but what lots of people who aren't into VR don't seem to realize is what's really impressive about VR games is that they've finally pushed motion tracking to the level where everybody wanted it to be, and that's AWESOME for gameplay.

So the real problem is you can't play Doom VFR without motion-tracking controllers. If you have those, you probably have a HMD too.

The thing is you don't aim the gun by moving a mouse, you actually wave your arms around. You can fire under your legs, or behind your back. You can shoot straight or you can angle the gun gangster style, and none of that has to be programmed by the developers, its just emergent gameplay from the ability to freely control objects in 3D space by manipulating things in real life in 3D space. It feels fantastic.

All those things they advertised you'd be able to do on Wii, which didn't work right and ended up being lame? In VR, they actually work. You can fire guns with perfect accuracy using point-and-shoot, and you can swing lightsabers around.

Its just gonna take awhile for more games to come out for VR and for the hardware to get cheaper for it to really take off.

This is fine, but I don't want the physical limitations of 1:1 accuracy. That all sounded cool as a kid but once we got anywhere near that I realized I wanted 1:1 mental response, not physical, and mental feedback.

VR lacks force feedback so it feels too airy to me, and feedback is going to be a whole additional equipment and expense hurdle.

It's definitely come a long way and it's way more viable now, and it's great that developers are playing with it and that a market for VR experiences is emerging for people who dig it.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean, you can do both independently. Comparing a mouse shooter to a 1:1 VR shooter is like comparing an RTS with a racing game. They're just... fundamentally different experiences, even if they ape the same theme and setting.

I love that you can actually kneel down in VR behind cover and blind fire your gun above your head without just pushing some button that does it automatically for you. You can feel out how high the cover is and just barely pop your gun over it, its just a totally different experience and level of control.

And there's not really any way to practically give people that level of control on mouse & keyboard, it'd require a million keybinds and you'd have to be a savant to control it all in real time.

Which is why I think its cool there's both Doom 2016 and Doom VFR, two totally different games that deliver wholly different experiences, even though they even use the same assets.

Reminds me of the Police 911 Arcade Games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_911

I played this for an entire night and woke up sore and unable to walk for a day back when I was like 13?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Zzulu posted:

I think it's funny that we never prevent anything as doom guy. The space bases get overrun and everyone die. Earth gets overrun and everyone dies

We're just kind of inserted as the retaliation against the demons after all the bad things already happened

So it's like the modern Godzilla explanation. Doom Guy is just a cosmic force keeping the balance in check.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Barudak posted:

Better than it runs on my PC, with the one that has an actual graphics card in it stuggling to hit 5 fps for reasons that elude me.

You switch to Vulkan from the default?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

From my understanding, Avalanche has two major teams: their New York team, which made Just Cause 3 and their Stockholm team, which created Mad Max.

Rage 2 is developed by their Stockholm team (the Magnus guy on stage at E3/QuakeCon was the Director of Just Cause 2).

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Also in Rage 2, this is real:

https://twitter.com/RAGEgame/status/1112716243646083073?s=19

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

I really, really hope this isn't an april fool's joke.

It isn't. It does require pre-order or delux edition I believe.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

It isn't. It does require pre-order or delux edition I believe.

I was wrong about it requiring a pre order or deluxe edition: https://bethesda.net/en/article/5kPgSt3dGNUHAwZwDkVBOA/rage-2-cheats-wasteland-wizard

You just get this voice over free with a pre order or all cheats automatically with the deluxe edition, but can buy all cheats in the game without paying.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

He's board of directors because he funded Bethesda. There literally wouldn't be a Bethesda without Trump money. But, Robert isn't his brother. I just think it's interesting, not saying it implies anything else.

Bethesda was founded in 1986, formed under Zenimax in 2001 under Robert Altman, and Robert Trump first shows up as a BoD in 2007, I believe.

His name is equal billing with Cal Ripken.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Deakul posted:

Probably taking the bait but where is that quote from?

Please don't make me concerned about Doom 5.

Sigh

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

We'll probably know soon but they seem to be all about integrating MP components into SP in a soulsborne way. The biggest problem with doom 2016 MP was it was clearly outsourced and not of ID quality. The team who made the MP became Bethesda Austin and recently launched Fallout 76 so lol

This isn't true. Doom MP was developed by Certain Affinity. BGS Austin was previously Battlecry Studios.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This.

The weapons aren't going to be Quake 3-esque floating pickups in the actual game--they just needed to do that for accessibility in demos. Most of them are going to be unlocked and upgraded in fabricators after you find enough of their relevant schematics.

You monster

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

They didn't mention it a single time during the entire quakecon discussion, so that seems like they dropped it. We'll see, but it sure looks that way.

Here's an article from June this year with Hugo explaining how Invasion fits into the game: https://www.vg247.com/2019/06/17/doom-eternals-invasions-endgame/

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Peewi posted:

That was a limited time thing. If you go to the Steam page for it now the only option is to buy premium currency.

Inside the game there's a bundle to buy all champions for the same price with the currency.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

It's weird that we're having this same discussion that we had a month and a half ago based on the same leak article from a month and a half ago with the same person from a month and a half ago even though from my understanding Hugo denied those leaks in a Facebook post that people shared around a month and a half ago.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I played Doom both on PC and PS4 and while I vastly prefer mouse and keyboard, any player that is used to play with a controller should play better than this, more so if your loving job is related to videogames. If Doomy Turtle filters this kind of players is gonna be hilarious to read/watch complains like the usual Souls/Sekiro ones.

Hugo has also publicly pointed out Sekiro and Spider-Man as games that will straight up fail you until you learn how to play them correctly.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Utnayan posted:

You can purchase XP Boosts with real money - this has already been covered multiple times and confirmed.

No you can't, and no it really wasn't. Boosters does not mean XP boosts.

Utnayan posted:

In other words, yes there is a "hidden" MTX system in which it is two layered and Hugo Martin can state this and still be factually correct.

No, there isn't. You're conflating speculation from sources with a statement from Hugo likely (we can't see the original post he's commenting on) addressing that speculation.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Utnayan posted:

Yes, it does.

https://mp1st.com/news/report-doom-eternal-battle-pass-confirmed-along-with-boosters

Before Hugo's Statement XP Boosts were mentioned all over the internet as being available to help progress through the game quicker. What else would these boosters be needed for?

If this wasn't Bethesda I wouldn't think it would be nefarious. FYI.

I'm going to rent it from Gamefly but we will see soon enough what the ambigious term "Boosters" mean in short order.

All over the internet here is just folks seeing the word Boosters in the Giant Bomb video and calling it XP Boosts. No one has seen XP Boosts, a store, or anything like MTX.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Deakul posted:

What the hell else would boosters mean?

From a Reddit post referencing the Facebook group I'm not in so I can't confirm:

"On Facebook yesterday Hugo explained what boosters are. Boosters allow you to "sponsor" up to four other players and passively gain XP based on how well they do. The better the players you sponsor, the more XP you get. It's something new that hasn't been done in a game before"

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

CampingCarl posted:

Aside from all the other stuff people mentioned, what can be unlocked in the home base that isn't cosmetic?

Oh and literally nothing shown in the home base was unlockable with XP. It was all shown to be unlockable with collectables and unlockables from the main campaign.

The only XP related system shown in any preview footage was the battle pass looking level complete window that had some cosmetic icons and skins.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Artelier posted:

This is possibly a bad idea but I am really looking forward to this game and I am thinking of dropping (a lot of) money for the pre-order. Even though I've never* pre-ordered anything and even if I got it on release, I looked for reviews and early impressions first!!

* The Witcher 2, Witcher 3, and Street Fighter V** are exceptions
** I might regret one of them

If you're interested in playing Master Levels, to my knowledge the only way to receive one of them at launch is to get it from the "Rip and Tear" pre order bonus (that gives you the Doot skin and Doom 64).

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

It says 1050ti and 1060 now instead of 970, I thought those are higher end than 970. Newer at least. (edit: ah, I didn't know that 970 is faster, just looked it up.)

A 970 is more powerful than 1050 ti.

I'd say substantially, but that's up to your definition of the word. It's about 40% more powerful.

Spiderdrake posted:

The requirements for PC games with the proper settings support id is offering are harder to quantify, but I think listing a slower card instead of the 970 would imply lower requirements?

I could also be wrong, but I didn't think most games listed their minimum spec as 60 fps/1080p. Usually I expect minimum to be 30 fps/720 or the like but I haven't researched min specs for new releases in a while.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 11, 2020

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

So I have a GTX 960, and am not quite ready to build a new computer. Buying a house is a little bigger priority at the moment. Should I even bother trying to run it?

What's the memory on a 960?

Min reqs (1080p/60fps/low settings) list a 1050 ti which is about equivalent to a 960.

But the game on PC also supports dynamic resolution scaling, so if it gets a little tight you can lock the game to 60 fps still.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

Anyone getting instant crash on start up? I updated to latest amd drivers. Trying to roll back now but i get the id in the system icons and then nothing happens and the game dies.

I was on old 19 drivers before and i decided to upgrade since it told me to and now im regretting it. Tried turning off all overlay type poo poo too.

Cant even seem to fully uninstall the drivers anymore, want to go all the way back to 19 drivers but goddamn this is annoying.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/782330/announcements/detail/1806446683757378310

Any of these issues apply?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Songbearer posted:

The demons blow apart real nicely in this

where's snapmap

In Doom 2016

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Zushio posted:

I preordered the PS4 Deluxe version but don't seem to have the relevant DLC? It's not listed in the store or in my purchase history. Anyone know what's up?

Digital or physical?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

IMJack posted:

Is there an error log or something I can look at to see why this game isn't starting up?

https://steamcommunity.com/games/782330/announcements/detail/1806446683757378310

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Flubby posted:

I played 2016 recently and I don't remember it being this slow. Maybe it's my fault for playing a bunch of original Doom wads leading up to this. That first arachnotron fight was rough when I felt like I was walking through knee high mud. I guess there is no sprint now then? Just the dash? It can't come quick enough.

Just increase your FOV a little. Run speed is same speed, pre-dash as 2016 and enemies move faster.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Crustashio posted:

It was the monsters he spawns that were kicking my rear end (especially in the small arenas), did not realize you could stun him out of summoning. I normally never use the crucible so I will save it for his rear end when I can.

I never really considered it, but does the ice bomb work on them too?

edit ^^ NM, that answers that.

By end game, I'm saving crucibles for Tyrants and Archviles and BFGs for Marauder's and it keeps the encounters in check so far.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

Ironically, I always save the marauders for last since I found that moving full speed around the arena lets you outpace them just barely enough to keep them from attacking. Also trying to get close and bait them into doing their counterable attack tended to open me up to getting hit by everything else on the map.

This is generally my approach too. I'll fire off some rockets or grenades in their direction but a running Marauder is a disabled Marauder

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Katt posted:

Loved the final boss.

Marauders are complete bullshit and the sword should destroy their shields and the BFG should just one shot them.

BFG kills Marauders. Just stagger them.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I've seen a bunch of complaints about some of the weapon mastery trophies being broken so it sounds like there's at least a few issues with that sort of thing.

edit: Also I apparently went through the entire game without realizing that "empowered demons" are a thing or ever noticing that I ran into one.

That system isn't turned on yet.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Mike the TV posted:

Same, tried for the first time just now and could not connect.

Is your computer clock set to Automatic? Some folks can have trouble if it's manually set.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Poasty posted:

Had anyone tried a Hudless run yet? HUDless Nightmare was my favourite way to play 2016. I'm worried that there will be too much information you need in this one

I haven't done Hudless, but I lean heavy on audio cues and everything has one, I think.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

It always had it.

Back on May 8th the update details included implementing Denuvo Anticheat.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

The fact that you can't play offline without Denuvo Anti-Cheat is frankly bullshit, and I can't find any source for it being a bug as someone was claiming earlier either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/gjvug0/is_anyone_else_experiencing_worse_performance/fqnv1vl?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

quote:

For anybody here having frame loss issues - Would you be able to PM me w/ your Dxdiag? Instructions on how to create one [here](https://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/23138/~/how-do-i-create-a-dxdiag-or-msinfo-file%3F).

Also you can elect to uninstall Denuvo anti-cheat manually via Windows add/remove programs and still play the campaign. But you will need Denuvo anti-cheat installed if you want to play BATTLEMODE.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Boxman posted:

Is there a place to submit perfomance issues, though? Like, I just dipped below 30 FPS on the mission summary screen, which definitely hasn't happened before. Throwing them a DxDiag can't hurt, right?

See the post I made earlier that I think has a link to where you can submit it. They were definitely requesting them earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

They're trying to fix that massive performance bug in the same patch. And probably working from home.

It's also a holiday weekend.