Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Happy Hedonist posted:

The game runs like poo poo on my ps4 since the last patch.

Been running a bit worse on my PC as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Mogomra posted:

I wanna give that one a whirl, but I haven't come across an instance where I want more mid air maneuverability yet.

Once you get the double jump it's a godsend.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Has there been any word about the inclusion of a main story coop mode? I'll keep coming back regardless, but for me coop was always a huge part of OG doom, and snapmap just doesn't fill that void.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 22, 2016

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Add a way to skip the few bits where you have to wait for people to shut the gently caress up and I'm so loving in.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

SneakyFrog posted:

Out of sheer morbid curiosity how did a kitten get IN your computer case?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wco2uE6vyQ&t=17s

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

jonathan posted:

Found a neat glitch. Those floating bot things that unlock your weapon and then you punch it. Well in one level it takes off and then you find it as a secret by using a crane to move a platform to get to it.

Ok well I ran up to it at the beginning before It floated off, I managed to double jump to it and hit the button. I got stuck to it and it carried me all the way up to the secret area.

I've never not done this, I'm surprised they didn't catch it in testing.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

I've noticed Doom 2016 has this weird ebb and flow to some encounters where at times the action is insanely furious and my every move is on the threshold of giving me whiplash, and some other times where I'm roaming and looking back and forth for targets and they're either way out of range or just plain out of sight. It's usually Mancubi or Imps set to kite you that are the culprits for the latter feeling.

Turbo Mode would be nice, but I don't think I want it to apply to every monster. Turbo would be great for Revenants, Mancubi, Barons, and the zombies, but giving it to monsters that are already aggressive enough like melee Imps, Pinkies, and Knights would probably be a disaster to play.

Fast monsters + permahaste?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Real sad it took this long to get deathmatch in a doom game, but better late than never!

You aint kidding, jeez. At least this gives me a reason to finally give the multi a real go.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Bethesda actually got a couple of guys from id to come in and do the gun mechanics in Fallout 4. Which is why the shooting in 4 is lightyears ahead of 3. Still not amazing but far better than the stodgy awful bollocks 3 had. At least in 4 you can competently fight without VATS.

No poo poo? I was wondering about that.

So who are they going to turn to in order to make the combat in the next Elder Scrolls not hot garbage, I wonder.

Morter posted:

The guys from Dying Light, I hope.

I want to dropkick kings. :q:

That would be great, or at the very least a significant improvement.

w00tmonger posted:

The newest Wolfenstein punched way above what I expected when I finally got around to playing it

I really like all of the Wolf games from 3D onwards, though 3D gives me insane motion sickness these days. They've always been really solid single player experiences. The newest two were really cool but they need to bring back the particle cannon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCWj5PAyFfs. That noise, so good.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 15, 2016

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I saw a friend luck into that on his first playthrough and he was confused as hell. It looks super glitchy so i still don't know if its intentional.

Pretty sure its a glitch, happened to me my first time through as well.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Can you play snap maps made by players from other platforms? I don't want to miss out on good maps once I have a better pc.

I think that was one of the big selling points of snapmap, iirc.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

JBP posted:

I want to see the human resistance on earth desperately launch an ICBM into the middle of demon town. It duds out and just sits there while the demons laugh, then doom guy bursts out of the nose cone and they all poo poo their pants.

This is a really ridiculous and great idea.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I'm guessing the animation tech for the imps drew from the dudes in RAGE as well, given how mobile and responsive they could be. I also really liked some of the car handling - not nearly as fun as the halo warthog but a million times better than the POS vehicles you have in the borderlands games.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Agoat posted:

Where did the Retard 4 thing come from again

I'm really happy with blt division

Prior to DOOM's release posters ITT were ragging on how dumb the game was going to be. Not that Bethesda's marketing the multiplayer so much helped, but of course it turned out to be a really dumb call.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

The loot shooter genre does nothing for me, it feels super goofy that my ability to do damage with a gun is based on the rare socks I’m wearing and not, you know, my ability to aim and shoot the gun.

The Division pissed me off because it’s the antithesis of the Tom Clancy “brand”. Yeah I know the Clancy games abandoned true “tactical realism” long ago, but when multiple headshots don’t down an enemy because my gun’s DMG rating is too low, I roll my eyes so hard that they fall out of my head.

That's what ruined The Division for me as well. I actually really enjoyed the setting and general gameplay, but the entire experience was simply ruined by being bulletsponge after bulletsponge. And I played it late in it's lifespan as well, when the game had apparently improved a lot.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

My only negative about D’Eternal is the invasion stuff. MP in my SP games is lame as poo poo but I trust these devs for it to not be bad.

This does bring up something which interests me - the capacity for a coop Doomguy experience. With this we know that Doom is now capable of having other players in the main game, so I wonder if they're holding a real coop experience as a later announcement.

I really hope so.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Chainsaw being a dual-purpose "need ammo" button and "this thing in front of me/coming right at me needs to loving die now" button is extremely cool. Clutch as hell when a pinky is about to slam into you on Nightmare+.

I like lining up pinkies with the siege cannon heavy fire.
Plates on the front? gently caress you I dont care

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
So like a month until release?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Anyone have a rundown on the good and poo poo parts of the new doom 1 and 2 console releases? Specifically I'm after couch coop play

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

BaconCopter posted:

Summary:
-As of now offline gameplay requires you to sign in to BethesdaNet, yes you read that right (this might be a Switch exclusive feature)
-It's in Unity. Yes, Doom of all loving things has been remade, officially nonetheless, in Unity. Full 3d Doom...
-The resolution is janky and doesn't scale properly.
-The framerate is janky and hasn't been scaled properly
-People are saying some of the enemy AI has been changed or is just janky
-It's 370ish MBs. For drat Doom.
-Bethesda took down the backwards compatibility for the Xbox 360 arcade releases

Oh yeah, there's also no way to play any other wads.

Thank you very much.
There is a lot of what the gently caress in there. Wouldn't getting the framerate and resolution be a relatively simple matter in a Unity port? I know the older Doom engine is obviously set to low 4:3 and set at 35(?)fps, but shouldn't this be overcome simply by virtue of a modern engine?

This does seem terrible anyway. Unless they fix this poo poo I think I'll drag my old laptop out and use that as a second player instead.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
The best kills are spinning the blue shield guys, three cutting the tyrants with the crucible, and catching the marauder punch followed by face stab. This is fact.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 11, 2020

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

mcbexx posted:

I am partial to sticking the gun of a cyberzombie in its mouth and blowing its head clean off.

And as mentioned before, the Archvile's look of regret on a left-side glory kill is an instant classic.

poo poo forgot these two, also yes.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Hey now Doom 2 had coop and essentially no one played it

If this is bait you got me

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So I just picked this game up on PS4 on impulse, and honestly, I'm having trouble with it on Hurt Me Plenty, way moreso than I did with Doom 2016. I don't know if I'm not used to all the new mechanics yet, if they just plain cranked up the difficulty of the game, if it plays better with KB/mouse, or if I've just gotten really bad at games in the last 4 years. I usually play games on a difficulty harder than normal, so It kind of feels like giving in to switch to I'm Too Young To Die - did anyone else have this same experience, so I don't feel ashamed of it?

Given how challenging it was for me on PC, I have to give you mad props for being able to make any headway on a controller.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

That Imp force grip one is curious.
Also they really needed to add more caco glory kills from the front in Eternal.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I don't remember if they talked about it/how it works in DOOM but an interesting thing Spectacle Fighters do with difficulty is that on normal difficulty modes the enemies don't attack you at all or attack you way less if you can't see them, but on higher difficulties that system gets turned off which turns the game into a complete nightmare usually.

Yeah I seem to remember being able to cheese certain games by turning the camera away from enemies so they don't attack.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Had an easier time on level 2 nightmare than level 1, let's see where level 3 leaves me...

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Bushmaori posted:

Had an easier time on level 2 nightmare than level 1, let's see where level 3 leaves me...

Overall not too bad except for one point. Had an easier time than with my UV run yesterday probably because yesterday got me back into the groove. About a dozen deaths up until the boss.

and then about 50 deaths on the last phase of the boss fight. Adding one of those yellow pricks there really raised the level from fun to frustrating. That said, I beat him quickly once I remember I had runes and changed them around to saving throw, long stagger state, and slow time in air. That last one made all the difference because getting a headshot on that yellow gently caress suuuuucked.

Can see myself one day completing an UN run on base Eternal, but never on this one.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

He wanted to punish people for complaining about Marauders (which for the record I enjoy).

I'd rather fight 4 Marauders at once than do the boss of blood swamps again.

What was it about that boss that gave you trouble?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

So let's talk design first. I actually appreciate that demons take more damage or are inherently designed to be countered by specific weapons. But I feel like in the base game there is enough of a cross section where using "non-meta" weapons against a demon is still completely viable. For instance, the Mancubus will punish you for getting too close and using shotguns optimal range. But there are ways to use the super shotgun against them. Or shield zombie soldiers obviously you want to pop the shield with plasma rifle. But you can just overwhelm the shield in a pinch. Or even other things like meathook or chainsaw on them. Basically you're rewarded for using the right weapons but not overly punished for using the "wrong" weapons either. It's a perfect design frankly. It just feels good to have that reward feedback loop where you use the right gun but it's not oppressive.

The turrets just suck in general. The Marauder is interesting because he is only vulnerable when he is attempting to attack but he has a predictable pattern and a savvy slayer can find ways around his defenses. The marauder can't defend against damage at his back for instance. Turrets are invulnerable until they pop up and they're clearly designed for you to use the sniper shot against them. Other weapons inherently do less damage, significantly so. I can spend an hour shooting rockets and other things at them or just snipe them 5 or so times with my heavy rifle. Which really is 1 or 2 more shots than should be necessary to kill them.

The bossfight itself was tedious, the slow from the turret shot is frustrating and they take too much to kill on top of everything else going on. It doesn't feel epic or engaging or cinematic. It's not like there is a huge demon or fire pits under your feet you have to avoid. It's just running around a big circle away from melee mobs and sniping at eyeballs. That's boring. I'm the Doom Slayer. I should be shooting out the eyeballs of an enormous hellbeast and not magic puzzle boxes. Every other enemy in the game, even a zombie, is significantly more engaging.

I'm enjoying the DLC and the challenge but the blood swamps boss is a huge thumbs down for me.

Oh I thought you had trouble with it and I was wondering why. drat are you right though, just repurposed the push boxes into something not interesting and not fun to fight.

I think you can two shot the regular turrets with the assault sniper mod, which makes them little more than a slight delay devoid of challenge. For me they barely rank above tentacles in terms of how little they add.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Frankly, yes

Doom Eternal lets you skip the longish reload animations by switching to a different weapon. Rotating back and forth between your super shotgun and ballista is much more damage than using one of them individually.

The only real exceptions are the chaingun and plasma rifle, neither of which can stagger.

This is also why rebinds are super important.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot--my favorite moment in all of Eternal so far was when the game teleported in like 15 pinkies at once. Really gave me a strong hit of OG doom nostalgia right there. Wish they did more stuff like that.

I felt quite tricked with that trap.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Cultist base master level still glitched, cool.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm only about 2 levels in and real bad at games and I kinda agree with what you're saying vs. 2016. It plays totally different and I need to keep hitting all of the buttons which I always forget to do, so I never have ammo, armor, etc. Still going to keep going despite this, and I'm playing on the easiest difficulty. :v:

I'm a huge fan of Eternal to the point it's one of my favorite games of all time, but I totally get it. While you do get freedom within the rules, you can't avoid the overall flow, so some people naturally get alienated. Sucks that it's not the right fit for you, but hopefully it at least gets a bit better.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not really finding it hard as much as I'm finding it tedious, and trying to remember to press the armor button more often doesn't make it less tedious.

I also am definitely not seeing what the grappling hook is good for, like it pulls you towards enemies but I don't find that useful at all. I don't even really see how it improves mobility because the movement rate is kinda sluggish and the range isn't very good either. If it could launch you like a jump pad I would get it but it doesn't seem to be able to do that.

I'm not good enough to slingshot with it, but it also acts as a zipline. I don't have any major examples of this but you can see me kind of do it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4x7xiv3z4I&t=11s (poor quality video of last stage, shouldn't be any spoilers)
This also illustrates the shotgun to ballista switch, when you get it. The SSG's hook gets a lot better once mastered, essentially it gives you quick and easy armour.

Also a few fodder enemies in a group = flame belch + grenade

e: I'm not good either but those tips should at least help

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 5, 2020

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Can't fault them for really wanting to like it

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Hugo let me change grenade types while glory killing

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I was guessing a marauder axe as the weapon, but a hammer is much cooler. From what Hugo said it's more than a straight replacement to the crucible, right?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Anyone have a time for when the new DLC comes out? It's 1pm on the 18th already here in NZ, so wondering if this is like an American thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

That was one of the roughest bits in DLC 1 for me too.