Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

(edit: Remember when I said I wouldn't play the beta? I LIED. (John Matrix, Commando 1985) How does one not click on a free steam game.)

Somebody gave me a free copy of Klingon: Honor Guard and then like three weeks later 9/11 happened soooooo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Bethesda Execs Weigh in on Doom Rep

quote:

...and like Microsoft's reaction to the Xbox One (which was to virtually plead with the public to call it "The One" over the popular "X-bone") or George Broussard's attempts to dismantle DNF's "Duke Nukem For-Never" nickname, Bethesda is finding itself at odds with a community polarized by the upcoming Doom game.

"Unforgivable," Bethesda exec T. Howard weighed in on his personal Twitter. "There's no reason why anybody should be calling this 'Retard 4'."

Yet other figureheads seem to have cooler opinions about Doom's growing reputation. Doom brainchild and former-iD CEO John Carmack was quick to criticize Bethesda's first foray into the Doom universe: "The whole thing [Doom] has clearly regressed. We tried to re-imagine it seven or eight years ago and it didn't work then...it's not going to work now. No amount of technology is going to save it from itself."

"These people should be embarrassed over this whole thing," Howard later commented. "Doom is going to be a polished triple-A title, and for somebody to give it associate a word like 'Retard'? 'Retard' is the worst word in the world. It's worse than the n-word, and it doesn't belong on a Bethesda product."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 21, 2016

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

PrincessWuffles posted:

Yeah. Wow. That would be awful. The closest I could stomach for a sidekick would be a way-too-psyched murderbro buddy like in Brutal Doom. Doom Guy should absolutely be Gordon Freeman silent apart from grunts and a death rattle. At the same time, there was something in the SnapMap stream about demon allies.

I'm not saying we should definitely have a wise-cracking lost soul or imp buddy who tugs at our heartstrings when he inevitably dies, but I'm not saying I wouldn't play the poo poo out of that map.

Oh, we actually already know that there will be (at least) one NPC partner, possibly two. The primary teammate is named "Virgil" and is described as a "squat, bird-like monster"--remember this dude from Doom 3 preview trailers?

The other NPC is supposedly a fellow super-soldier named "Norman" who is tasked with protecting the "mighty one" (assumed to be the player).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Stuntman posted:

I almost forgot about the part of that stream where even id loving Software got gaslighted into believing that locking off an arena and filling it with monsters you need to kill before progressing is "Doomy." They honestly should have just made DOOM4.WAD, would've been miles above this crock of poo poo.

One Room at a Time: Doom and the Zeigeist of the Classic FPS

T. Howard posted:

"I think one of my fondest gaming memories is playing Doom on a 386--you had to launch everything in DOS, which was like Evil Windows. And I can't remember the exact level, but there's this part where you find a Yellow Key sitting in the middle of a large warehouse. Trap. You pick it up, the doors lock, and monsters just start spawning in. You must've needed to kill a hundred of them before the room unlocks and you can progress, and I remember thinking, I made it, I'm in the clear! But then there's this long hallway and you can just tell from the layout that you're going to need to exterminate six or seven waves of Demons before you can move on.

"That's probably the defining Doom memory for me: A constant series of hurdles to overcome, room by room. And every time, that reptile part of your brain thinks, I've made it! only to be rebuffed by additional challenges. I don't really think Doom would have been special without that constant emotional rollercoaster."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 28, 2016

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Clevermuldoon posted:

Retard 4 is loving doomed.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 29, 2016

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"Made"? Can anything like that really, truly be "made"? Who made dinosaur bones? They've always been. When the world needs something like this or Retard 4, it simply comes to be.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah it's easy to put 80 demons made of 8 frames of JPEGS on a single screen than it is to put the same number of enemies but each with hundreds of thousands of polygons/texturemaps/rigs/lighting/rendering/ambientocclusion/normal-bumpmapping/animation and AI in the same area, no decent computer would be able to handle that much, and as it is it still seems like your being attacked relentlessly so I dont mind the numbers about right now.

Serious Sam HD did it and that's the best Doom killer out there.

Better than Doom, even.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Buca di Bepis posted:

the Doomworld community is just flippin out over the lighting in the secret levels

When I was a kid, I wanted a bagel but I didn't want any cream cheese on it. I told my babysitter this--I said I wanted a bagel, but hold the cream cheese--yet when he grabbed me a bagel, he stared straight into my eyes as he smeared a ridiculous amount of cream cheese on it.

That's what Marty Stratton's doing with these Doom "easter eggs".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

If I remember correctly, this is the same interview where he alluded to triangles being used to build 3D geometry because of the pyramids. Somebody asks him if he's a fan of Egypt and he humorlessly replies, "no, the Nubian pyramids."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 3, 2016

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

You missed the best part

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Everyone knows Doomguy is Flynn Taggart, and if you want to understand his character, you read the books :colbert:

One of the Doom Books posted:

"Twenty-three ska-DOO!"

Demon-killer extraordinaire Flynn Taggart drop-kicked the flaming skull like a football; it rocketed off into an echelon of imps and exploded. KER-BLAM! The thunderclap was deafening.

Flynn caught a smoldering limb as it sailed overhead--it was the browned forearm of a hellspawn. He held it up to his lips and pantomimed playing a flute with it.

"I'm Yankee Doodle DANDY!"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Albert imagined Arlene nude, with a babe in her arms. This was what the prophecies foretold: Epic battle with hellspawn, and a desperate race to repopulate the earth thereafter. He studied her hips sensually. They were not yet accustomed to the duty of child-bearing, yet they were broad, as a woman's should be. He smiled faintly.

"Who would'a thought the mormons'd be right?" Arlene snarled and shook her head in disbelief. She tongued something tucked behind her lips. A secret? Albert wondered. But then a thick rivulet of brown drool oozed free of her lips and dripped to the ground; she pried loose the remaining chaw and her tongue forced it out, dejected, onto the floor of his bedroom.

Would he suffer the same fate at the hands of this U.S. Marine?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

Don't kiss a girl who dips

Tony Montana posted:

You are having a discussion with people that read Doom themed booked. Keep this in mind.

He stepped into the spaceship. Or, perhaps more accurately, they: A creature that bore a passing resemblance to a Captain Caveman, except with two heads.

"Sears and Roebuck," Flynn snarled. Was this what it had come to? Untold billions dead and they were left working with the enemy?

Sears and Roebuck spun around, visibly startled by Flynn. "Mr. Taggart! The Stardrive is fully charged and ready for interface! All it requires is your verbage!"

"Verbage? You drat demon scum can't even speak English properly." For a brief moment he felt the ping of an unfamiliar emotion...pity? But then the adrenaline was pumping again--God's fuel injection for his lean, mean, Marine machine--and the weaker emotion quickly retreated. "Let's go back to hell."

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Sears_and_Roebuck_(the_Klave)

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 4, 2016

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Every few years I go back to them and read them, because I have such fond memories of them from when I was a kid. Not at all ashamed about it; the last two books are just weird and I wonder why they were written, but overall I can't not enjoy them.

The Freddies seemed to be deliberately engineered to prey on common fears: Bloated, fleshy jack-o-lantern heads atop the emaciated and impossibly frail bodies of holocaust survivors...skin like a waterlogged corpse...a smell that singed the hairs in his nostrils. It poked through his helmet with a single slender finger--a finger terminating in something that shared more in common with a chopstick than a fingernail--and the nail punched a neat hole through the side of his cheek.

"AHHHHHHHHH!" Taggart screamed. Then he found himself biting down on the nail, molars grinding bone to dust, and suddenly felt the nail snapping off in his mouth. "poo poo!" A word built for clenched teeth.

He blew the nail out of his mouth and the vacuum of his suit's breach did the rest of the work; it shot out like a railgun and punched through the Freddy's head, collapsing it. Crimson pulp and orange flesh flopped around weightlessly. "YOUR HEADS REALLY ARE MADE OF PUMPKINS, HUH?"

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 4, 2016

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

There's this interview where Trent Reznor says it was hard for him to see Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" eclipse the original song, which was one of Reznor's most intimate and personal songs. He suggested it was like, "seeing somebody else dating your girlfriend."

Flash forward a decade, Carmack is being interviewed by Joe Rogan for SpikeTV. Rogan keeps interrupting the interview to scream about Brutal Doom, but Carmack's remaining expressionless the entire time. Finally the iD mastermind admits, "The success of Brutal Doom eclipsing your own masterpiece is akin to watching your ex-wife move on with her life."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

LISA was a way better game.

A bearded, brusque man steps into an adobe-style hut (except the adobe is made of poo poo); he is wearing a tattered trashbag poncho with cutaways for his nipples. In the center of the hut sits a similarly dressed man.

"My bitch wife--god rest her soul--she never could make potato salad," the second man reflects aloud, but to nobody in particular. Not even his bearded guest.

Suddenly the bearded man throws the speaker in a savage headlock. The two struggle for several minutes--oiled, unwashed forms slapping against each other, a torrent of flesh and brawn--until the speaker submits to the bearded assailant.

In a triangle choke, the two lock eyes. There is a bestial rawness in the speaker's gaze one moment, yet the next they are drawn to each other by the same unspeakable animal magnetism; like rough men, they kiss with reckless abandon.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 5, 2016

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Kazvall posted:

They should have bucked the trend and done ultra high res 4k sprites.

Adrian Carmack once claimed that the natural trajectory of graphics towards "photo-realism" was for sprites of near-infinite resolution rendered from "ten thousand different angles" and that, as a result, the average FPS game of the distant future would take decades to make.

"Like Michelangelo, the average game designer of the future will probably only work on only one game in their entire career. Unless life expectancy radically changes, some will not live to see it through to completion."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Deakul posted:

Doom 3 did have an incredibly sexy plasma rifle reload sound, I'll give it that.

In the leaked D3 Alpha, the plasma rifle sound effect was Tom Hall breathing into a recording device played 16 times a second.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

and it actualy had a sex scenes that were pretty tasteful. Some people think thats whats ID will do with DOOM. its obviously not. but i am sure the lore will be sorta interesting.

Flynn was covered in blood and guts. The miasma surrounded him like a warm blanket. Almost...getting sleepy... He searched the satchel for another needle but came up empty. This jarhead's got nothin' but crumbs left in him.

But then he saw Arlene: Fox company's finest for more reasons than one. And his very own inferno started to stir inside of him.

"I'm gonna gently caress you, Arlene," Flynn blurted, suddenly drunk on some inexplicable sensation that wasn't simply hatred or bloodlust. Well, lust, maybe... "I'm gonna gently caress you until the end of days."

Arlene smiled impishly. "I think you're all outta time then, cowboy."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wasn't that written by some weird mormon dude?

Yeah he posts on this website, actually.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Stretch goal, new enemy Taffy from ClayFighter (bout time I shot that maniac)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

MisterBibs got arrested for loitering outside Josh "RopeKid" Sawyer's house a few years ago. In addition to a hand-written manifesto about the failings of Fallout: New Vegas, police found gloves, a mask, and a CS: GO replica knife of some sort that was just sharp enough to be considered a deadly weapon. Somehow he beat the charges but most of Obsidian's staff has a restraining order against him.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I assume everybody knows at this point that the cacodemon was literally stolen from a D&D monster manual

Still pretty cool lookin though

Don't think we've seen any pain elementals in the trailers? Hope they look significantly different as well.

One of the last times this was brought up, I remember somebody arguing that the Cacodemon wasn't taken from this image because it wasn't a perfect tracing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Haha, Retard 4? What a strange moniker

We were going to call it Thief 4 but

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

No Retard Left Behind

I'm gonna be Full Metal Jacket's Willem Dafoe on Doom's launch day. Listen for Adagio for Strings.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You make movie references like old people gently caress, Private Plenty.

Meaning bad and wrong

poo poo you're right. Blackhawk Down.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

I'll make a Mario 64 inspired SnapMap with a lot of jumping on blocks okay everybody happy, also barrels for DK. Everybody settle down now

*read post in flustered southern mayor character voice* (that's a character in the DOOM leaks)

I'm planning on making a huge rectangular room with nothing in it but a Cyberdemon and a chainsaw :black101::unsmigghh::getin:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

For my follow-up, a room in the shape of a swastika filled with 50 Revenants (with their backs to you). :eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The "Pinkie" was 400 kilograms of pure, rippling, pink flesh--most of it teeth and maw, balanced on a pair of legs thick as tree trunks and boasting taut, ripe haunches. Who would have thought you'd find a buttocks in Hell that was as sublime as this (besides on a Succubus or similar she-devil). Like a bull in heat, the infernal ungulate tore ahead passionately, snorting and grunting as it went; each step seemed to shake the earth, and with each stride its buttocks stretched and flexed with impossible leanness. There was no give to its bottom--each flank was fifty pounds of rock-solid muscle you'd sell your soul to the Devil to get on a plate or between two buns. "I want to eat a piece of that rear end," Flynn hooted. "I want to eat that whole goddamned rear end!"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

widespread posted:

If you're buying for Consoles, highly recommend the Xim4, which I know gets touted a bit in the CoD thread for PS4 users. It looks like a controller will gently caress you.

Years ago, I got a copy of CoD: MW for PS3 and I plugged a mouse and keyboard into the console but the game wouldn't work with those peripherals so I hit the PS3 with the keyboard and the board shattered like glass and a piece rocketed into my eye and temporarily blinded me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

I have a very important question:

Can you fire the super shotgun one barrel at a time? Some of the Doom wads I've been playing lately do that and I really like it for some silly reason.

I feel the same way--you're usually able to fire one barrel after the other faster than two shots from the pump shotgun, so it gives you a lot more flexibility and speed with follow-up shots, but you're still limited by the two rounds. It gives the super shotgun a lot more versatility without eclipsing the pump shotgun.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

There are several different themes, and right when you think you've seen everything, they take you to an entirely new area. They even managed to get a snow area in !

"When Hell freezes over," Flynn Taggart chimes in, and cuts a fart so vicious it scorches the seat of his pants.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Still won't unlock. Grr.

Restart Steam.

Orv posted:

Five minutes of watching the first campaign level sold me more than any of the utterly garbage marketing they've done could have, looks good.

I didn't give a poo poo about this game until I saw the one or two unofficial videos of somebody playing with a mouse and keyboard. That was two days ago. But now...

...MASTER CHIEF IS BACK BABY

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

But that's litterally an updated Doomguy helmet.

It's got the vents on the top, the horizontal vents on the mouthpiece and the kinda mandible shaped vents on the side.

I'm currently wearing a Doom t-shirt. I've been staring at those abs since I was seven years old. Don't you think I know that?

I've always known that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

nnnotime posted:

Will I have to do that here: make the enemies' fireballs go faster? I don't care for respawning enemies, just want to make them shoot faster and perhaps tougher to kill.

No, definitely not. An imp or two can completely wreck your poo poo, at least on Nightmare difficulty. As far as respawning enemies goes, I've been playing Nightmare for the past couple of hours and don't believe that enemies respawn like they do in classic Doom 1/2 Nightmare difficulty, so you should be good there.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Is anybody else having an issue with Steam where DOOM doesn't show up in "recently played", you don't get any card drops, and trying to check your achievements just redirects you to your own Steam profile?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

This game is really loving good. It is giving me actual feelings.

You still get feelings?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Demons using human skulls for keys is like Amazons using human penises for keys.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

widespread posted:

Is option placement really gonna make you choose the worse product over this.

I mean, granted BethSoft should have condensed the amount of devs on this to just iD and maybe Ascension but why the gently caress would you give up a better game for that poo poo.

Ambaire is that weird Chinese dude at the beginning of Doom 3 who talks about how they went too far by contacting the Devil, only instead of hip-dialing Satan it's inadvertently installing Doom 3 on his computer. As Doomguy gives him a disparaging look, he loads it up while saying, "It is already too late for me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Carmack described Quake Guy as a "walking totem pole of hyper-masculinity as [the iD offices] perceived masculinity". The headgear, specifically, was directly inspired by "the headgear of boxers, whose sweaty sparring I would sit and parse for hours." In fact, legend has it that when iD first started getting big with Doom, Carmack's mother revealed to the local press sketch books filled with adolescent Carmack's drawings of muscular men in various states of undress, with "tiny heads and giant pecs."