Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm optimistic for it. Carmack himself attributed Doom's success to three key factors: Graphical prowess, multiplayer capability, and flexible modding. Neo-id seems to understand this, and everything we've seen in Doom 2016 is extending the success of the original Doom in these facets.

I'm not hype as gently caress but I'm interested and excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
where's that really bad UE4 remake of Doom

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The Doom Collector's Edition is up for pre-order at Gamespot. $120 gets you the game, a metal case, and the 12" revenant statue. Pre-ordering either the base game or the collector's edition gets you the "Exclusive Demon Multiplayer Pack:"

quote:

Pre-order DOOM and receive the exclusive Demon Multiplayer Pack, which includes one, unique Demon-themed armor set with three skin variations, six Hack Modules - one-time, consumable perks that can give you the edge you need in a multiplayer match - six exclusive metallic paint colors, and three exclusive idŽ logo patterns that can be applied to weapons or armor.

Demon Multiplayer Pack Includes:

Demon-Themed Armor Set
Six Metallic Paints
Three ID Logo Patterns
Six Hack Modules

:gonk:

I'm assuming that there's other ways to get the hack modules but I really dislike the idea of things that give you a straight advantage like that.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 10, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
DOOM - Linguica makes Zaphod his bitch

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

panda clue posted:

lol jesus christ, they literally call it a beta and people argue "nah, theyre lying, its not beta" when they run into a bug :psypop:

There's a big difference between this and, say, qtest.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I've been calling Retard 4 "doom"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I imagine the ammo pickup is a single pickup but can be changed to be specific items, or set to be random on spawn or on pickup.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

GlitchThief posted:

Interesting. Knowing that they'll continue to be distributed through play calms my cynicism.

From what I've gathered the main function of the hack modules is to offer "candy," i.e. constant rewards through playing to entice you to keep playing. It's basic skinner box poo poo really. The effects that they do are minor at best, and all the important ones really do is emulate stuff pro-level CPMA players do in their head.

The vibe I got from MP is that it really feels like a casual, kick-back-and-relax party type of multiplayer, similar to Nintendo games like Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. Honestly, given that the current tone of most online multiplayer shooters is all serious all the time esporks nonsense, I'm glad to see something like this where you're not meant to take poo poo too seriously.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I've been calling this armor Health 2

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Why didn't you rt this on @doom_txt

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I enioyed the MP

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Keiya posted:

Didn't humanity go all but extinct after 2? And he stayed in Hell after 64?

There was a fleet of ships waiting to escape Earth that you need to bail out in MAP11.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Linguica posted:

Deep-cut trivia: the Doom setup program was actually a derivative of the setup program used in Raptor: Call of the Shadows, which also happens to be the only other game to ever use the DMX sound library!!

bullshit, there's no barking or growling in either game

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Listen: it's not what you heard, it's what you're hearing.

:vince:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

There was nothing humorous about John that night. He was... on another level. He wrote some code that made a guy in the audience disappear forever, the guy is scary with code.

The Creator stood on a platform. Grey marble, ten perfect square meters, with one meter of depth. An endless void surrounded the suspended dais, the perfect blank canvas. The Creator, clad in a faded t-shirt and worn jeans, opened his eyes, looked through his glasses, and surveyed the universe.

"Mmm."

The dull grey, exactly #808080 gives way to a pitch black as laws governing light are created. Stars fill the new sky. They form, age, and die, forming quasars, nebulae, and black holes. Gravity's nuances are completed. Asteroids are formed from dust, and planets come together to orbit. Some of these new worlds contain a peculiar mixture of chemicals, coming together to form acids. Natural selection is drafted, and those acids, over the course of millenia, become simple organisms, growing in complexity until they resemble autonomy.

The pseudo-autonomous creatures lean toward curiosity. Eventually, they start to reverse-engineer each and every one of the billions of laws the Creator enacted. They start to manipulate and exploit the world for their benefit. The laws governing electromagnetic emissions, vibrations, and electricity and bent in such a way as to allow the creatures a simplified facsimile of the Creator's own canvas.

He takes an interest in his own laws eventually giving way to beings that start to reverse-engineer themselves. He watches over them, and spies the enactment of one such creation. An environment projected using light and vibrations that can be controlled through the use of switches. Watching from the perspective of a creature, the Creator experiences this... and is ultimately disappointed. He's not sure why, but for some reason he feels as if the creatures can actually do better. For the first time in millenia, he speaks.

"I'm calling this game Retard 4."

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

"Discerning" (:lol:) gamers can be predicted to do four things when it comes to games: complain about trivial things, buy whatever they are complaining about, trash the broader audience out of jealousy, and have very little influence on what happens overall.

Especially when it comes to Bethesda games, who have the art of making fun video games for people who like video games down to a science.

shut up idiot

MisterBibs posted:

It's interesting to note that Bethesda, the aforementioned developer who knows how make fun video games for people who like video games (and are better at franchises than their original developers), has zero design flaws on par with NV's Cazadore Valley.

holy poo poo shut up

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

I don't have comcast/timewarner/dsl, so Downloading stuff isn't bad.

Time Warner recently upgraded the infrastructure where I live so now I get 200 mbps down :hellyeah:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Deakul posted:

They are really banking on nostalgia with those achievement names.

The entire development's been banking on nostalgia.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Keiya posted:

I refuse to believe that anyone could get lost in Dead Simple. Get their rear end handed to them, sure, that's believable. But get lost?

Misterbibs is DSP's long lost brother.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

One thing he mentions in that video I really do not like, is that the game has a bunch of easy enemies and then you hit a locked off section that spawns waves like a mini arena, and then you move on. That's really lovely and nothing like classic doom at ALL

No. Stop. Stop expecting this game to be anything like classic Doom, because it's not and they're not going for that.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah personally I like this, they're harking back to classic doom style enemy design (baron) as well as doom 3 enemy design (knight) both, kinda acknowledging the whole series. There's a lot of variations of each enemy type and overall way more enemies as a result, which is good. And in classic doom they were just recolors so there's no harm in changing one of them.

Except for all the many ways they are. Like auto-maps and keycards and secrets and including literal doom 1 levels.

No its not a 2.5D FPS but its definitely trying to be more doom than doom 3 was.

Those are little trinkets. You're expecting level design and game mechanics to be similar, which is loving retarded of you

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I got up at midnight and played the single player for 7 solid hours. It's loving great.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I took Doomguy's attitude toward Hayden as more of a "you loving idiot" thing. Like Hayden keeps crying about how tempting fate was Necessary and Doomguy's just like "holy poo poo how can you be this dense"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
"now, carefully remove the Argent lens--" *Doomguy curbstomps the Macguffin* "NOOOOO"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey Segfault remember when you bitched "lol the game is never going to be like classic doom you idiot"

Suck it.

I wasn't bitching, just saying you shouldn't expect classic Doom. For what it's worth I still don't think it's like classic Doom. It's loving great and it feels a lot like how Doom '93 tends to play with modern wads and mods, but that's not what Doom was like back in '93.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Bardeh posted:

How do you use Vulkan? I have no idea what it actually is

It's Nvidia's new graphics API. You can enable it right now with a command line argument. Gonna try it when I get home.

Its funny, John Carmack swore off writing for any API that wasn't OpenGL after a traumatic experience with writing a proprietary graphics API wrapper for Quake, and here we are...

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
That Cyberdemon boss fight though.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Beat the game. All of the boss fights were loving awesome.

Am I the only one who got really into the lore? Doomguy's bros, the old Night Sentinels from Argent D'Nur, are kickass looking, I hope their model is unlockable in Multiplayer. The UAC itself is this amazingly hilarious combination of Corporate America and dubious cult, and it's hard to tell where one stops and the other picks up. I'm really hoping we get to fight Dr. Hayden in some DLC, teasing us with that hell-sword is too much.

Campaign was tons of fun. Now onto multiplayer and snapmap!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Oh my god, the cyberdemon fight is one of the best boss battles in a game easily

This game is so good it's stupid

It's whole story is amazing. "We pulled this huge demon from Hell and put it in a suit of power armor! Why? Why not!"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Morter posted:

I'm only 5 levels in, but if Doomguy is "the demons", I am going to cream myself.

It's implied that Doomguy is a member of an eons old order called the Night Sentinels, who were part of an ancient civilization who did the same exact poo poo the UAC is trying. According to the data logs you find there's at least three other different times this poo poo's happened, and at least one time when an alien race was attempting to harness demonic energy for their use.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Peewi posted:

At first I thought you were gonna give Hayden the VEGA backup at the end, but then he decided to be a huge dick to you.

I suppose he's mad that you stopped him from harvesting hell energy, but he should just be grateful Doom Marine didn't kill him when he had the chance.

VEGA is backed up on a stick that's identical to the Praetor tokens. If we're getting a DLC I'm imagining we're going to get VEGA as our Cortana.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

"if the AI was better like modern games the combat would be more interesting but as is the game gets old fast"

This is complete loving nonsense and I'm astounded at how someone could come to this conclusion.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://twitter.com/PorygonNews/status/731610409715781632

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Sorry, I might've thought that the insufferable annoying poo poo from the comics and the insufferably annoying "hahah see, he punches the robot for upgrades! He kicks the poo poo out of things instead of shutting them down by pressing buttons!" thing would be rather clear.

the only thing that's insufferably annoying is your posting

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Deakul posted:

Those are complete non-issues that last seconds and aren't a direct reference to anything other than the game creator deciding that focusing on the narrative wasn't a big thing and wanted the Doom Guy's disdain for being constrained to narrative tools to be a humorous schtick.

Nice try though.

Also, deluding yourself that most of the old school trappings of the game won't be considered positives.
Interesting that games like Wolfenstein TNO and Shadow Warrior fared so well with critics then.

no see FPS games are objectively better for containing samey enemies that patiently wait for you to attack them at your leisure while you wait underneath a chest-high wall to regenerate your health

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

They're a lot more important on Nightmare, where getting the timing down is important in bursting big stuff down so you don't get overwhelmed

Only time I ever used siphon nades was to keep my health up in boss fights.

I feel like they gave us an incredible toolset, but we rarely have to use it to its full potential to triumph or merely survive

Edit: It's subtle, but when you see it :aaaaa:

I don't get it

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Avalanche posted:

IGN giving Doom a 7.1? What?

O wait...... yea nevermind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrQkEg-Dpvk

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
More FFA modes would be fantastic, it'd also let you show off your colors more in multiplayer.

I have to say, Certain Affinity got me hooked with Doom Barbie. I just wish I could make different saved outfits, I want to make a UAC Barbie and a Demon Barbie and a Robot Barbie and a and a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Also speaking of John Woo, John Woo's Stranglehold was a good game.