Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Heavy Metal posted:

Absolution is great, my other favs are Hitman II and Blood Money. I'll wait for this next one to be fully released to check it out, but Absolution is mega underrated. In general while I dig the ol' sandbox prank kills formula, I hope they're not afraid to venture outside of the box. And I hope we see something like the ninja fortress in Hitman II, aka just some unexpected locations. Not just another classy party to kill at etc.

Absolution had some nice refinements on the existing systems (the shooting/cover was good, contracts mode was a great idea) but the level design was way too constraining. Even the more "open" levels were really tiny, and the various ways to kill your target all felt really forced - Blood Money and earlier games certain had "scripted" options for kills (like say, rigging the pyrotechnic display in the heaven & hell mission in BM), but the way Absolution did it just felt like ticking off boxes for achievements rather than being rewarded for exploring the level and watching the target's routines.

I feel like Absolution's game feel combined with Blood Money quality level design would easily be the best Hitman game, which seems to be what they're going for with the new one, although it will be hard to say for sure how good the levels actually are until they've released enough to get a good sampling (even Blood Money had a few weaker missions).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the beta levels are a good sign for what the final product might look like - they felt a LOT like Blood Money levels, moreso than even the more open Absolution levels. The opportunities do feel a little bit overly-scripted, especially since you generally have to do them in sequence, rather than just setting up something in one part of the level and then waiting for your target to go over there as part of their routine, but there still seems to be lots of interesting ways to manipulate the level outside of those opportunities so they're more like bonus side-activities rather than "pick one of these, and only one of these, to complete the level". I'm liking there being more "generic" elements in the game that show up in multiple places, like fire alarms and weapon crates, where rather than being some specific scripted thing, they're more of a general tool you can use to trigger certain behaviours. My biggest gripe with Absolution was that there was basically nothing like that - you wouldn't even be given bombs unless there was some specific place where you were supposed to use them, so it really felt like you were given no freedom to experiment.

I didn't really like the lack of "suit only" areas in the beta - I feel like on the boat level at least you should have free reign on the deck with the crowd if you sneak past the guards at the entrance. One nice touch I did like though is that if I did get caught in that area, the guard actually walked me back out to the entrance rather than immediately opening fire on me, so it's cool to see a more varied range of responses to being caught rather than "HE'S PACKING! *bullets*". I also feel like the detection range for people who can see through your costume is a bit far - I liked how Blood Money did it best, where just walking around you'd generally be left alone, but if you stayed in someone's personal space for too long, or were hanging around a higher security area it would spike their suspicion a lot faster. There's a lot more variety in NPC types within individual areas though, so at least it doesn't have Absolution's problem of the only costume that actually has access to the majority of the level is what all the other NPCs are wearing, so they just see right through it and you end up having to sneak around anyway.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

I don't remember Blood Money being this trippy

Rave mode unlocked.

Alternate option: 90's 3D card tech demo mode unlocked. Coloured lighting.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think it's just a product of the time. Hitman 1 had no "suspicion" meter at all - so long as you had a disguise you were invisible to guards, unless you do something that invalidates it like kill someone or get spotted in an area where the costume doesn't work, in which case, that disguise is now blown forever.

Hitman 2 was their attempt to try to find a middle ground, and they overtuned it, but they didn't really have anything to compare it to. By Blood Money they'd already had two shots at enemy suspicion between Silent Assassin and Contracts, so they had a better idea of how to tweak it by that point.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can use the sniper rifle in a fair number of levels in Blood Money - it's just that it's not always going to be a perfect setup where your target is hanging out somewhere isolated.

One place I find it's nice to have is in the fight during amendment XXV; when you're out on the roof it makes it really easy to take out Parchezzi while he's hanging out at the other end taking potshots at you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Something I'm curious about - will you have to buy all the episodes in order, or will it be more of an a la carte model where you could buy say, level 1 and level 3 without getting 2?

I mean it won't make a difference to me since I just got the full game pack, but I'm still wondering about it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the thing about opportunities is they would be bad if it was literally all there was in the level. I felt like that was a big issue in Absolution - it seemed like every method of killing your target outside of just running up and shooting them was some pre-scripted event. In the new one though there's lots of other little things you can use outside of opportunities - they make a point to have the targets just wander around a lot, drinking and eating various things you can poison, standing under chandeliers, etc. that isn't specifically pointed to by an opportunity but you can spot it if you follow them around and watch their patterns. Opportunities are just a way to show you how to trigger certain events in the level, and not all of them lead directly to a kill - sometimes they just change your target's behaviour or get you in to another part of the map.

Basically, they're just there as more things for you to play with, they don't just hand you the level on their own. Plus as mentioned, you can turn off the tracking if you don't like the popups - the events themselves will still be there if you know what to do; you just won't have the UI pointing you where to go.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Just finished the first tutorial in Hitman 2016 and now I'm quite sad I haven't tried this series before :(

If you like this one but feel like you can't wait for the next levels to come out after finishing Paris, then the next game you should try is Blood Money - it's the most similar to Hitman 2016 in terms of overall design - the others are either a really hit and miss experience (the pre-blood money ones) where some levels are great but others are terrible, and Absolution is an okay stealth game but is a lot more like Splinter Cell than Hitman.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

s0m3 guy posted:

that was p much what made absolution enjoyable for me. they got rid of a thing that was actually ok

The only two things I really miss from Absolution are hiding in crowds (I thought that was a really cool feature and I'm not sure why they took it out - it always annoyed me in Blood Money how during the Mardi Gras level they had this amazing massive crowd of people yet the cops/bodyguards would follow/shoot at you like it didn't exist), and the point shooting mode, which is hardly mandatory, but it was fun to play with.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jintor posted:

you can even do it right in front of a security guard and they'll trigger dialogue that it's really weird and you should get down from there but they don't actually seem to get suspicious

on the other hand, i tossed a dude off the balcony and assault-rifled dahlia in the face then jumped back away and they didn't cancel the fashion show or even activate the lockdown, so i suppose this game's about leeway

They don't seem to ever cancel the fashion show unless you bring down the light rig. Even if you start shooting up the main room, you'll just have guards coming in and the people around you moving away. The show must go on, after all.

Something that I have noticed that's kind of cool is that guard's knowledge of your crimes actually seems to spread in an organic way - it starts off with just the dudes who saw you, and if you manage to get away from them, the people on the other end of the map won't be suspicious of you. But as time goes on, the guards searching for you will alert other guards they meet along the way, and then THOSE guards meet other people, etc. and they all know who you are now.

It is a little odd that they don't seem to try to contact the people across the map by radio and only alert other guards they meet in person, but I guess the game is set up to be forgiving so that one mistake doesn't light up the whole map like it did in Codename 47.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

I was wondering about that, myself. I just completed The Showstopper for the first time (3/5 stars, I thought I did better than that :saddowns:), and after shooting Viktor onstage there was no reaction from Dahlia or her schedule. Shouldn't, uh, shouldn't someone have told her? :confused:

She does actually get a phone call about it at some point - I've seen it happen (she basically seems really shocked, and then rationalizes it with "well I guess all his crap eventually caught up to him"). It might be that it occurs very soon after he gets killed so if you don't just bolt up to her room right away you'll miss it. Her schedule itself doesn't change beyond that one moment, though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jintor posted:

some editor lady. the news report mentions her at the beginning if you don't screw up their shot.

they chat for a bit and she mentions she's discovered the auction which freaks victor out a bit

oh cool. I've never seen him out of his room.

He heads up to the auction eventually if you take long enough (or maybe it's triggered by you getting up there another way - I'm not sure). I actually had no idea where to find him for a while and the only times I'd even seen him were up at the auction area.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Huh? I didn't kill Sato but I did subdue him, to get Viktor out onto the stage (as it turned out; I was just doing it because I thought it would be funny :v:), and no one noticed. Don't think I got a Challenge credit for it either, though?

You specifically have to kill him for the challenge credit.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

The area is way bigger than I realized on my first run through. Tons of little side areas around different parts of the outside of the building, and the basement is like its own little world.

Yeah it's really well done and if this is the standard for levels they've set, I'm going to be very happy with the game as a whole. I've run through it maybe a dozen times now and I'm still finding new little areas or conversations. There are still some annoying bugs (one I found recently was that if you shoot out a camera, then save, if you load that save later the game remembers that the camera has already been shot, but forgets that it should then stop working; thus you end up getting recorded by broken cameras and because they're already broken you can't shoot them to break them again), but for the most part they're fairly minor. This really does feel like the follow up to Blood Money we all wanted Absolution to be.

I think my one actual complaint, aside from bugs, is that there isn't really a lot of reason to do contracts mode - in Absolution contracts had a whole system of progression of its own with weapon purchases and modding that you'd unlock with cash earned by doing contracts - the closer you matched the specifics of the contract, the more money you got. The problem was that the level design just didn't really give you much to work with. There were maybe one or two interesting NPCs in a level besides the primary targets, and the rest were just generic guard #32 standing in front of a door. Hitman 2016, on the other hand, has a ton of extra NPCs with their own routines and dialog, completely unconnected to the main targets, but the only reward for doing contracts is leaderboards and who gives a poo poo about those?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moartoast posted:

The most heartbreaking thing about Contract creation so far is that toilets don't count as any kind of weapon, so it just defaults to "Any Weapon", and I only learned this after spending like two hours setting up one of the dudes on the Level 3 balcony to get drowned while wearing the default suit, after lots of brainfarts and bugs ruining entire runs of it, too.

Honestly. nearly every specific weapon or method should, well, be a specific weapon or method, instead of umbrella categories. "Lethal Melee" is the worst offender, how can I make a contract about screwing security guards in public now???

Yeah for some reason there's no category for "accidents" (which is what toilet drowning is considered) so it just says "any weapon". Ditto if you drop a chandelier on them or push them off a balcony.

Also weird is that "lethal melee" includes throwing the weapon at them, too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

status posted:

Does being spotted by a security camera remove your "Never Spotted" bonus even if you take out the security system? Trying to speed run the escalation thingy where you have to hack laptops/kill the AV guy/kill the Sheikh's body guard and I keep losing my bonus even though I'm never caught killing dudes. wtf

"Spotted by camera" is its own category and you always get the bonus for it if you delete the evidence, regardless of whether or not you were seen by cameras beforehand.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

fennesz posted:

I guess while I'm talking about Absolution: I still don't get why 47 is trying to do the things he is on well over half of the missions. Even the poignant portions of the game have you making sweet kills on characters who are afterthoughts and literally never mattered. I guess I'm like 4 years late to this hate-train though.

Here's the thing about Absolution: It's really clear that someone high up really wanted another Kane and Lynch game (possibly at Eidos - apparently they were the ones that pushed for K&L 2), but K&L 2 got terrible reviews and sold poorly so they couldn't justify it to the other execs. Rather than give up the series they decided "hey, let's take our actually POPULAR franchise and just write that like a Kane and Lynch game!" So they ended up making a decent stealth game that makes absolutely no sense as a part of the Hitman franchise. 47 just doesn't fit tonally with a gritty, grindhouse revenge plot; he's a character that poisons diplomats at high class parties. He doesn't strangle pimps in crack dens.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I did it without the device because I absolutely could not find that safe. Is it hard to spot or something or am I just blind? Because I definitely checked that room.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing about opportunities is you don't have to track them if you don't want to - they'll still be there and you can hit all the triggers for them, but you won't have some really obvious waypoint showing you exactly what to do for the next step. Even on "full" you won't get waypoints unless you explicitly hit F1 when you get the notification.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So what's the deal with the remote "destroy the virus" console that requires a dongle? I've knocked out the scientist lady that starts in the church a couple of times now and she doesn't drop it - do you have to have read the note by the console first, like with the bodyguard's cell phone to make the panic room call in Paris? Because every time I actually try that she's already left the church by the time I get there.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
For the plane escape, an easy way to get him to do it is to do the "ghost" opportunity that makes him feint. If you don't just murder him after doing that, he'll wake up after about a minute and immediately book it for the plane. You'll have plenty of time to get to the cannon and get set up to shoot the plane down.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Every time I go back to revisit Blood Money it's just too janky. I actually got spoiled by the excellent controls, movement and animations of Absolution :smith:

Yeah, it's a shame Absolution's level design was so boring because the controls felt so much nicer than the previous games.

Hitman 2016 definitely seems to be making up for it so far, though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

Anyone have an issue with someone across the level spotting you kill a target? It might have something to do with (re)loading, I was trying to do a suit only silent assassin in Paris so I was kind of savescumming, when I killed Victor in the downstairs bathroom a stylist across the level got alerted. Reloading didn't help.

It's a bug a few people have noted. I haven't had it happen to me personally but apparently it's not uncommon. For some reason you occasionally get psychic NPCs that are somehow locked on to everything you do regardless of where they actually are in the level, so the second you commit a crime or do anything suspicious they're instantly alerted.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think they just don't like the whole "hands off" approach. It's like replacing jobs originally done by humans with computers; it lacks the "personal touch"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

So, I'm guessing silenced, you can run with it, and it's visible if you're carrying it. How close am I?

1/3. Well I mean 2/3 really because it is visible while you're carrying it but that's not what any of the icons means. The actual meanings of the icons are
1) Scout: Quicker aim, increased rate of fire
2) Subsonic: Very quiet, reduced damage
3) Suppressor: Quiet, reduced range (why they felt they needed two different icons to say "It's silenced" is beyond me - it's not like you can customize the weapons for variable levels of silence to matter anyway).

(the actual explanations for the icons are in the "mastery" tab of the career menu, but only for weapons that you unlock)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lynx posted:

So how're people liking this game? I loved Blood Money back when it came out, and I never touched Absolution, does the new game hold up as a worthy successor to BM? The Steam reviews are pretty mixed, so I figured I'd see how Goons were liking the game before trying it.

The main reason for the mixed Steam reviews are people bitching about the online aspect (which honestly is kind of stupid - it's the same sort of "you have to be online to play this single player game" DRM bullshit that Ubisoft pulled a few years ago and apparently SE didn't learn from the response that got). The actual game is incredibly solid and is absolutely the Blood Money sequel we all wanted Absolution to be.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh poo poo what? Where do you get the dongle?

Plus, call me dumb :downs: but whats with the whole venting air thing? I noticed that the computer outside the room and the one in it both let you vent air but didn't seem to do much. Just noise to cover up firing guns or choking people?

I destroyed the virus by distracting the two people and overheating it, but anything to simplify that would be really nice.

The dongle comes from a scientist that starts the level at the church. If you wait she'll eventually head down to the lab but if you don't know who she is already you'll have a hard time picking her out of the crowd.

The vents allow you to enter the virus chamber without a hazmat suit. You can also use them as an assassination method - if you destroy the virus, Francesca will go into the lab without a suit - you can then turn the vents off while she's in there and she'll choke on the toxic air

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I tried to go full murder-spree in Sapienza, but I guess people just periodically spawn or something, there'd always be a few more civilians and guards poppping up. I ended up finishing the mission with like 120ish kills. Actually felt bad doing it, but kicking guys off the wharf never gets old.

I really like how the guards will come and check out the bodies, then bag them up and drag them off to the guard rooms. If only there was a way to feign death and get dragged in there as well :black101:

You can't fake death, but you CAN toss a remote bomb somewhere and they'll take that in to the nearest security room.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Actually I think that's really my one major complaint about the game - you get so few slots to take gadgets into missions with you (two on you + a drop, assuming you don't use the drop for a weapon). I wish you could pick multiple drops when you unlock them, at the very least.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Castor Poe posted:

The one thing I miss the most from Blood Money is the ability to air juggle enemies with the fully upgraded shotgun.

This was always a hilarious aspect of the very first Hitman game - it had a slow motion toggle but the physics system didn't account for the slow motion, so even a dinky little pistol shot would send ragdolls flying across the level.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

For The Forger all you have to do is kill him and it counts, just don't die. From the sound of it though other targets will be more like Escalations where they will have other requirements you need to fulfill.

I also hope they just add the targets to the game on their own because its neat. I killed The Forger but I was rather sloppy about it, but hey all that mattered is that I killed him and got out of there.

Yeah I just got him (I used the poison syringe because hey, nobody ever uses that), and it was pretty easy. I would like to see them stick around as normal contracts after you beat them just because it's an interesting alternative to running the primary targets over and over again. It seems a waste to add these variations to the level that you can only play once.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

status posted:

Ugh, I failed to realise that you lose Never Spotted if you're caught on camera, even if you delete the evidence. There goes my Silent Assassin :v:

This isn't actually true though? Cameras are a separate category and not related to "never spotted". I have noticed that "never spotted" can be kind of finicky though. I think even if they get suspicious enough to approach you (but don't blow your disguise) that's enough to lose it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I saw a picture of 47 screwing a silencer onto his gun and it made me want to be able to do that. It would be pretty cool to be able to sneak up on a target and then ominously attach the silencer before taking them out. Completely irrelevant to gameplay but still a very hitmany thing to do, so I should be able to.

This is kind of why I miss the ability to ready your fiber wire before you use it. Functionally it's exactly the same as it works now, but it just feels cooler to approach with the wire pulled taut.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I have to say, despite the new Hitman being the game which gives the least amount of poo poo about the story out of the whole series, it ironically manages to have what I think is the most interesting. I'm very curious to see where the overall story of the game goes and what the Shadow Client's goals are.

I think that's part of why it works this time around. It's taking more of a backseat to the individual missions so it's not as heavy-handed as previous games. Absolution was the worst about it but the original game and Hitman 2 both ended up trying too hard to tie all the hits together and it was just like "ugh I don't caaaaare".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a little thing in a game loaded with little things but I think the thing I like best is that you don't have to complete the mission for challenges to save. You can complete them then immediately die or leave or whatever and it will stay completed. That's so nice compared to how most games do it.

Also jeez, even the two prologue missions have a lot of ways to tweak them. I haven't even loaded Paris yet. Definitely going to pick the whole thing up.

You're going to be pretty blown away by Paris if you think the prologue missions are detailed. It and the other major levels are a whole other league.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

Huh. How do you get access to the parking garage starting position in Marrakesh? I've gotten to level 20 there, and it's still greyed, or, uh, redded out.

I don't know the exact thing you have to do but it's probably like the morgue start in Sapienza where it's linked to completing a specific challenge rather than mastery level.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I'm honestly shocked that killing de santis with the virus prototype in sapienza doesn't give you any sort of achievement or challenge at all considering how well hidden and unique it is.

I think they wanted it to actually be a REAL secret so there isn't even a challenge/achievement to clue you in that it exists. It makes you wonder if there's other stuff like that in the other levels that people haven't found yet.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I did all the challenges in the first tutorial level finally. I wouldn't have thought of half of those.

Yeah that's what the challenges are there for - to show you things you can do you wouldn't otherwise have thought of.

I find the best way to play is to run the levels a couple of times without looking at the challenges - just exploring and picking up on the clues within the level itself. Then after that you can look at the challenges to give yourself an idea of anything you missed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Including making guards freak out when they see it and take it to a weapon bin.

"Oh poo poo, someone left a rubber duck here! That could be dangerous."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
How are you supposed to kill someone with the bell in the normal map anyway? As far as I can tell neither target goes to the church.