Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Baronjutter posted:

My wife worked auto-claims in an insurance company. It's extremely stressful because you have people calling you immediately or shortly after accidents. Sure it generated a ton of entertaining stories but mostly it's just a high-stress call-centre type environment :(

My favourite stories were:
-Guy is at a party with a bunch of his friends, his friends are all drunk but he IS NOT DRUNK. He, being not at all drunk decides to take everyone for a joy ride in his truck. He drives very safely and soberly but somehow managed to flip his truck off the road. Because he was sober and his friends were not he was worried they would react irrationally towards him so he fled into the woods. Some of his drunk friends were lightly injured and the police ended up sending a full search party and dogs into the woods to try to find him but he claims he fell asleep because he was so tired from all his sober driving and partying. The next day he woke up, spent all day hiding in the woods, then finally called his boss and begged for a ride into town. His boss fired him for missing work that day and for injuring a bunch of his co-workers and hiding from the police all night. He also lost most of his friends, who decided to lie and say he was extremely drunk too. Things didn't go well for this guy.

-Guy is driving home from the oil fields in his huge truck and decides to take a more off the beat route. He takes a corner too sharp and slides off the snowy road into a field. Because of this he notices a fire out in a clearing and drives over to investigate. He finds that another guy drove off the road in the exact same spot, tried to get out of the snow bank/trees by heading to the clearing but realized it was a lake and his truck broke through the ice. While this story is being told, the new guy's truck also falls through the ice. They spend the night trying to stay warm by the fire while getting their trucks out, both end up being total losses and only by chance being rescued by a 3rd person who spotted their fire.

-Old guy gets out of prison. He has no license and has strict parole terms that forbid him from driving or associating with other ex-cons. Another guy he knows from prison gets out later and asks him if he can borrow his truck to drive to another city since old guy can't drive it anymore. Old guy agrees but wants to come with him apparently so he can drive the truck home, which he isn't allowed to do. The moment their road trip starts the con drives the truck to a walmart and robs the place and uses the truck as a getaway vehicle. Eventually they go their separate ways and old guy files a stolen vehicle claim. The story is full of holes, drastically changes every time a new statement is given, and eventually old guy's lovely daughter takes over communication and drastically changes the story again. From what people could piece together these two were basically just planning on going right back into crime after prison, had a falling out over the outcome of a robbery and old guy's truck got stolen. Because of the criminal aspects the claim and very obvious lies it ended up being denied.

-Two dudes live together as roommates and are hosting a party. Roomate 1 owns a truck and says he went to bed early and did not give permission for anyone to borrow his truck. Roommate 2 says suddenly when his friend went to bed a guy showed up at the party that no one knew and suggested everyone go for a joy ride in the first roommate's truck. Everyone decided this was a good idea and went with him. Because everyone was drunk this mystery man ended up hitting like 10 cars during the joyride and ending up in a police chase with a helicopter. They finally ditched the truck in a field and scattered, the cops easily catching everyone except for this mystery person. The number of people they caught was the exact passenger capacity of the truck. No one could describe the mystery driver, no physical description or name but all had the same story of "a guy showed up at the party and stole the truck and we all just went along to make sure the truck was safe". It's important to note that if roommate 2 had driven the truck, it would not have been covered by roommate 1's insurance as a theft since someone you live with or regularly allow use of your vehicle can't steal your truck according to the insurance policy. Obviously everyone fabricated this mystery person to help commit insurance fraud and criminal charges from the police chase. I believe this one was denied and roommate 1 had to go to court to try to get any money for his lost truck.

-Suburban teen gets dumped and is really mad so takes his little teen boy sports car and does rage laps around his neighbourhood. Loses control and manages to destroy 3 neighbour's sheds and fences. One neighbour had a bunch of expensive ATV's and camping poo poo and was leaving for vacation with them the next day, another house had JUST gone on the market and they had just built a fancy fence and shed to help sell the house, which had a full day of viewings scheduled for the next day. The kid was 100% humble and admitted to his stupidity, his parents didn't try to protect him and handled all the insurance stuff correctly, and his official insurance statement describing the reason for the accident was just giant "I hosed UP" taking up the whole bottom of the page. It was cute, lessons were learned.

-Tons and tons of stories of upper middle class to rich 20-somethings getting into major expensive accidents that gently caress over other people, crying on the phone and then pushing the whole thing off on their mom or dad to handle for them because doing an insurance claim is just too scary and adult for them. Then the parents being ridiculously uncooperative and doing everything to lie or threaten lawyers to get their precious babies out of any responsibility. There was one where a 20 year old girl blew a red light because she was texting, hit a woman legally crossing the street, and the mom and daughter both just went on and on about how that "stupid woman" should have looked before she crossed the street, our society doesn't care about personal responsibility anymore, doesn't this bitch understand this is going to ruin my daughter's driving record and reputation?? Why should we have to pay for her physiotherapy just because she doesn't look when she crosses the street?! MY HUSBAND IS A LAWYER and we are very well connected locally!!!! Tons of people like that, I'm not at all exagerating.

-Rich people thinking extremely fussy european supercars are at all appropriate for driving on northern Canadian roads.

-A lot of really sad poo poo involving first-nations communities. Like drunk driving 14 year olds running over younger siblings then driving off and wrapping it around a tree and everyone circling the wagons and not talking about it. Or people just not understanding how insurance works and thinking they are covered for something when they are not and lives being ruined. Not really "favourite" stories here, just deeply tragic and depressing windows into the horrible conditions on Canadian reserves.

your wife needs to start a thread, these are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

You can trust their testimony.

They were drunk. :colbert:

In vino veritas

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Not to accuse anyone of anything, but these were both oil workers driving home at like 4am after a night on the town after payday using a bypass off the main road that had drunk driving checkpoints set up.

they need a show, drunken survivor men.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

I still don't understand the Austrian rules on traffic lights.

Lights go in the order green -> flashing green (couple seconds) -> yellow (couple seconds) -> red
Green means go.
Flashing greens mean "stop if at all able, go if unable to stop" (so the same as the meaning of yellow in all sane countries)
Yellow means stop (it is illegal to cross at this time)
Red means stop (it is equally illegal to cross at this time).

The only reason they seem to have yellow is to have an extra light for the short amount of time between the point the intersection is cleared and the other road gets green. And while that might be useful for traffic planners to know, it has no separate legal status whatsoever and it doesn't give any useful information to anyone waiting for the light.

Austria introduced a fourth state for no good reason whatsoever and while doing so, they redefined yellow to mean something else than in every other country.

There's an intersection i cross on way to work doing something new, it's an LED signal and when on red it strobes white/red super fast. It may be broken or something, but it sure does catch your attention because the white LED on those things are blindingly bright (it also drat near gives you a seizure).

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

MF_James posted:

This is exactly what I thought of, that's going to be some wicked shrapnel.

Tire towards enemy

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Memento posted:

:nms:https://i.imgur.com/28L3TYC.jpg:nms:

Dude with an angle grinder blade in the side of his face.

at lease he remained cool throughout the whole ordeal :c00l:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

never watched this movie but now i want to

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

how can you not hear that

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Wonder what happened to that guy, and if he's ready to step his game up and take one of these to the nuts:

E: n/m guy is posting on twitter about getting surgery for his spinal fluid leak, guess that's the price you pay for vague internet fame.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 24, 2018

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

weg posted:

Wow, I guess that airbag went full Takata on his tailbone.

naw he jumped off a roof in a different stunt and crushed his spine.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

chrisgt posted:

I've used that word since before I knew about AvE, but yes, it means "study as gently caress". I learned of words such as "skookum" and "choocher", plus many others when I lived in Newfoundland in 2003.

that guy has gotten my whole little crew in SE texas using weird Canadian slang, haven't gotten to the point of throwing "wa" onto the end of all my sentences though.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

my new internet is great, but my friend in dallas has gigabit internet and it's ridiculous

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, it's pretty nice.

That's probably limited some by my router. It's plenty fast so I haven't bothered upgrading it.

drat, but yeah you're missing out on some speed there, you could always just plug directly into the modem if you're not willing to upgrade your router/wireless card.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

hail satan, btw

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

holy trigger warning, ugh, too stupid to live, too dumb to die.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

farcry 5 looking good!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Vape hoverboards. gently caress speaking of OSHA, this jackass doctor at my hospital rides a segue around with his group of med students, like ON THE UNIT. And not just any segue, it's got no handle bar post, it's like a giant version of a lovely hoverboard. I have no clue why he does this or how he could possibly be allowed to, because it's clearly not an assistive device as it's super unsafe.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://giant.gfycat.com/LonelyRewardingHectorsdolphin.webm

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Gromit posted:

Travel Kerplunk is less portable than I expected.

Kerplunk but instead of a marble, a skull falls out

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Not saying you should drive in a tornado, but a few years ago I saw some funnel clouds forming and there had been a tornado sighting not far from me, so I bolted. Drove through bad rain but ended up on otherside of town and suddenly it was sunny and glorious and far from danger. To me it was a far better solution than trying to "hunker down" in a third floor apartment.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 18, 2018

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Massive explosion and fire raging at refinery near me right now
http://abc13.com/watch-live-massive-fire-at-texas-city-plant/3367419/

e: they had a live feed of the action but the chopper took off so no more footage, oh well, freeway is shut down currently out of galveston.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 19, 2018

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

How the gently caress can you not hear your crane scraping inside a tunnel? Seriously how.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

duz posted:

Radio cranked up playing metal?

Industrial Grind Core

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Just looked up the midway atoll and look what they have:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

When these things eat people, why is it that the metal plates always seem to shoot open? You'd figure a loving plate sitting on a frame would be something you could stand on without issue.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

What was that cable put there for? It's crazy that guy didn't get his hand impaled or shredded from that bundle of steel cable he stopped on.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

iroc.dis posted:

Watched a friend of mine fall 30ft down the side of a stacked conex tower we were using to practice rappelling when his carabiner failed. I probably don't have the phrasing correct on it but the gate didn't lock and when he put his weight on it, it opened up and down he went onto asphalt. Broke both legs and his back and had some rough burns on his arms and chest from where he tried to hug the rope to slow himself down. He's able to walk again but not very well.
It was pretty awful to see it in person

:ohdear:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

This game just popped up in my Steam discovery queue: https://store.steampowered.com/app/821800/ADRLabelling_Game/

Check that price :eyepop: it's available for around a 100th the price on ios/android

Lol my eyes popped out too at that near 600 dollar price. Reminds me of that stupid train poo poo on steam where all the DLC would cost like $10k

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

This has to be the worst job in the world. Just stand in front of this thing that could go wrong in a hundred different ways and all of them end your life.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Nenonen posted:

There are two kinds of Russian men: those who have just had an accident happen to them and those waiting for it to happen to them.

Then there's those who MAKE it happen to them:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Nice save, sure his rotator cuff will never be the same though.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/8aDIUTB.mp4

At least they're wearing a helmet.

this is super unsettling.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Saw a truck with weird giant keg like tanks and a small crane on it today. It was covered with Poison placards, I saw no less than 6 placards from the back and right side of the truck. I passed the truck and it said "chlorine" on the side of it so I sped the gently caress up and got far away, big nope.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Necrosaro posted:

The truck was probably carrying "ton containers" which I was told in truck driving school in hazmat class that those tanks are used to carry the most dangerous chemicals. The ton containers are designed to survive most traffic accidents without being breached. The valves are recessed and protected by a metal dome and the walls of the container are thicker then most other metal containers. If the truck happens to get into an accident the likelihood of spills is a lot less then a single large tank. But if you see one of those trucks flipped over, I would run up wind of it real fast.

The ton container had a starring role in one of the CSB videos where a worker died after getting sprayed in the chest and face with the chemical it contained. It was at a DuPont chemical plant and it contained phosgene, which was used as a chemical weapon in world war 1. It doesn't take much to kill you. Phosgene makes you drown in your own lung fluids.

CSB video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5N8hxhJD7E

Yep they looked just like these tanks. Regardless of how safe they may be, seeing a hard poison wagon roll down the street is still unsettling. Nothing will beat the time I saw a convoy of trucks with about 5 police SUV's running defense and blocking all lanes around the trucks, got close and they had explosives hazard markers on them, which I've never seen before or since (I live near galveston so there's tons of hazardous poo poo going to and from the refineries and port constantly).

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I said hold my beer goddamnit
https://i.imgur.com/6WNXnom.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Chopper pilots are straight up insane. That first vid is amazing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Stay safe Thai boyz.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Blast of Confetti posted:

reminder that elon got in to an over the phone slapfight with the guy in charge because he told him to gently caress off. he's a thin skinned idiot and the exact type of person you don't want loving around nearby when lives are on the line

it's funny that the cultural douche-baggery of South African whites extends to their nerds too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Gina like vagina posted:

What kind of country doesn't let tradesmen wear shorts when it's hot? Nothing in Australia would ever get built if they had to wear trousers in summer (or ever). Tradie shorts are a tradition here.

could be worse I suppose

I would catch my pants in stuff constantly. I think Japanese construction guys claim it gives them better sense of stuff as they can feel when they brush up against things, but I'd be the guy wrapped around a lathe as a result.