Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I've seen so many gifs of warehouses collapsing like that. Now, I'm sure this would 100% kill the entire economy, but maybe warehouse shelving should be built to slightly more robust standards with a little structural redundancy ??

100% someone did the math and concluded it would be less expensive to build cheap shelves and just replace the workers/merchandise lost when they occasionally collapse than it would be to be to build them properly. I mean I agree with you but I would bet one of my less useful appendages it was a deliberate choice at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I just had a really unfun realization: The west never really outlawed slavery. Outside of prison labor, which is 100% just slavery with more steps, we've exempted certain industries from regulations, then staffed those industries almost 100% with undocumented workers. Undocumented people can't even invoke the basic human rights protection of their country of residence, meaning they are 100% at the mercy of their employers.

Y'all I think capitalism just replaced the triangle trade with coyotes and refugees from central america.

There's been multiple gifs, videos, and stories ITveryT of (Swift) semi drivers cutting a corner too quick and hooking a Spongebob-quality prospectin' boulder under the steppy spiky bits behind the last set of spinny wheels.

i don't know what they're called. probably some bullshit australianism like "Figurative Johnny's."

This is literally the 13th Amendment.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Quote from man standing in front of rocket emblazoned with "RESEARCH FLAT EARTH": "this flat Earth has nothing to do with the steam rocket launches," he added. "It never did; it never will. I'm a daredevil!" 

Isn't 5,000 like, much less high than you could get easily in any normal airplane.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Fallom posted:

Why the gently caress do I have to “donate” my body to get blown up instead of selling it for 4 large directly?

Yeah that's the part that pisses me off, that someone besides the family of the deceased is making the profit off what was meant to be a charitable deed.

If the army wants to blow me up they can pay my wife and not the body warehouse I donated myself to.

It would be like being an organ donor and finding out the hospital charged the recipient $20,000 for your kidney (not the surgery but the organ itself) and your family got nothing.

Although they probably do do something like that knowing this ghoul factory of a country.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 15, 2019

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

cosmo sex tip posted:

with Funeral Homes in general, you get the service you pay for.

Jokes on you every funeral home in my entire city is owned by Service Corporation International AKA Dignity! So I'll get exactly the service they feel like giving me and gently caress me very much if I don't like it! :capitalism:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

When I die, my life insurance money is going to be used to buy gold bars and I will be buried with them.

Sure Grampa, we'll bury the gold bars with you as far as you'll ever know

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

A refined version: a guy wearing a CRT television set as a helmet carries a 38" Sony Trinitron onto someone's front step and leaves it there. Hidden inside is you.

Would be lighter than the actual TV, that's for sure.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

minato posted:

Tangential to this: For some real OSHA fun, I highly recommend reading Eric Schlosser's "Command & Control" about US nuclear weapon security. It focuses on the Damascus Titan missile explosion (which is a great story in itself) but there are also many reports of other accidents.

Reading this book I found out, by talking about it with a coworker who I guessed would be interested in it, that said coworker had been a Commander at SAC in Little Rock during the 80s, just after Damascus. He's promised to show me some of his collection of cool stuff from that time. On the plus side, I did guess correctly that he would be interested.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
When you look up any crazy element or chemical discovered more than about 50 years ago you'll always see notes about what it tastes like. Apparently combining random poo poo and seeing how it tasted was just how chemists rolled back in the day.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

gently caress the New York Post. I know they're awful and have been awful for decades. There was no plausible journalistic reason to post that. God drat. Watch a guy die so we get some sweet clicks! God drat.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The day you find out that you're the kind of person whose immediate instinct is to save yourself, gently caress your child. I'm not judging! There was no decision involved here. Pure instinct.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Rotating machinery hungers for human flesh, it's true.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I’d love to see that get defended.

Probably (hopefully?) done to try to get more women into the game. Or to get schools some sweet Title IX credit.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The worst "first day on the job" story I've heard, from these forums I think, was the teenage kid who got sucked feet first into a wood chipper he was operating on his first day on the job.

https://abc7ny.com/news/north-carolina-teen-falls-into-wood-chipper-dies-during-1st-day-of-work/1115689/

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Boiler of Theseus

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've always wondered how a steel mill or similar facility cleans up a spill like that. How do you get hardened steel puddles off the floor and ceiling once they've cooled to room temperature?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Powershift posted:

It usually cools while flying through the air and just lands as a dust.....

COMBUSTIBLE DUST, BUAHAHAHAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d37Ca3E4fA

But what about the ones where a huge ladle tips over at a steel mill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6kAEcG7mmg

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
:nms:https://i.imgur.com/6grfK82.mp4:nms:

Old, hilarious but gruesome safety video.

Right click > unmute

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
:psyduck:

Really want to see the whole video.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"The Day I Shot Myself Down" by Pete Purvis (F-14 test pilot)

http://www.ejectionsite.com/F-14%20SHOOTDOWN.pdf

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but he was a maratimes weeb, whatever that is called

Sea-aboo?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/5qDC9wx.mp4

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Band-Aids on multiple fingertips seem to argue otherwise

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Reminds me of an article about fighter pilot candidate identification and training I read years ago. They mentioned weeding out guys with NAFOD: no apparent fear of death. Those are the guys that cost you a lot of money in airplane insurance deductibles.

Stupid question: does the military really carry insurance on its fighter planes?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Old Swerdlow posted:

I was on edge the entire video once she brought out the mandolin and wasn’t using a guard or chain link glove. Those things hunger for flesh.

One time my wife bought a cheap mandolin. I came home and saw her struggling to slice a potato or something on it. I snatched it from her, saying, "Give me that. You'll hurt yourself." and then tried it myself, IMMEDIATELY slicing a nice hunk off my thumb. Fortunately, I maintained the presence of mind to use the comedy timing, holding out my mangled and bloody thumb to her: "See?!"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/s6SrNWU.mp4

Imagined fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 30, 2019

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've seen a dude riding one of those choppers where the handlebars are above your head in loving shorts, flip-flops, and with just a bandana on his head.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

GotLag posted:

They should stop calling it Autopilot

But autopilot is kind of exactly what it is. Autopilot doesn't take (currently) take off and land the plane (AFAIK?), or execute complicated maneuvers. It just keeps the plane going at a certain speed, altitude, and heading. Including probably directly into a mountain if you set it wrong and fall asleep. I mean I agree that that's not what the average idiot hears when they think "autopilot", but it's still a technically accurate description of what the feature does.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The thing about humans is we have brains and make tools. If we can't lift something or can't lift it safely we build something to make it safer and easier. Saying you can't lift a big stone by hand without using your back is a dumb argument because yeah, duh, so we use the muscle between our ears and don't try to lift it by hand.

Like seriously someone came into the OSHA thread and argued that advice about doing something safely by hand is dumb because it can't be done safely by hand, so we should just ignore the advice?

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 21, 2019

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I have heard from a guy who lifts weights regularly that you can safely lift with your back if you train properly for it, but he was also an idiot so I dunno

I mean there are lifts that strengthen your back like bent-over rows and things like that, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Musk comes from a family of South African emerald tycoons.

You fill in the rest.

All our cars come with six bodyguards carrying assault rifles and will be delivered to a secure paddock lined with concertina wire fencing.