Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

Like when an escalator breaks it becomes stairs

Not in this thread.

All of those links are :nms: for death and injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

interwhat posted:

Wasn't sure which thread I wanted to post this in more, but if it was a professional movie set, then definitely OSHA.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/23/asia/australia-actor-fatally-shot-during-filming/index.html

This post is fine and relevant.

interwhat posted:

Anti-gun paradise not so perfect?

gently caress yourself oval office. It was literally a workplace accident you've decided to politicise.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gromit posted:

Presumably someone brought in a licensed firearm. It's not illegal to have a pistol - a guy in my office has half a dozen or so.

And if you're producing a film clip, it's not hard at all to find a professional movie armorer to provide firearms and supervision. Whether you get a good one that will actually supervise is another matter.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Crosspost from the schadenfreude thread.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

gently caress, for a second I thought someone had found some footage from this crash yesterday.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Kind of looks like someone poured hot mix over a log bridge? Is that right?

Is there an :Africa: emote? There should be. That's standard in lots of places like the DRC and Zambia - bridges look reasonable but you stop your vehicle and walk it first because of poo poo like this. You usually end up going around and finding a shallow water crossing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JFairfax posted:

bombs away baby, bombs away

it was real close to that highway

Yeah the airport has been there for 90-something years and the suburb grew up around it. So of course the people that live and work there are complaining about the airport being too close.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
wat

Edit: I read that whole thing before it was removed and now I think I have tuberculosis.

Anyway, back to wargaming and gaming the game chat, I read a story once of a US Army wargame in West Germany during the 70s where a platoon was accosted by a German farmer who accused their side of destroying some crops and fences of his. He insisted on speaking to their commanding officer and when he was in the tent with the CO, he pulled out a pistol and yelled "Bang!", taking the officer out of the game. He was a plant from the other side who spoke German well enough to fool his way in, and succeeded in beheading the command structure. Creative thinking is how this poo poo gets done.

Memento fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 24, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Crosspost from the Terrible Car Stuff thread.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mak0rz posted:

ElectroBOOM decides to encase an air compressor in resin a couple of pounds of hot glue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97w8bl3n3eU

I love that this dude is making a living out of these videos now.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Skellybones posted:

That octopus was pretty big, but not big enough to wash Acco out. I think it work as a bodyguard for an even bigger friendly lake monster, that's why it gently removed Enkidel.

Are you lost, friend?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There's no such thing as an "accidental discharge". The term that article needs is negligent discharge. Guns don't go off unless you pull the trigger, unless they are so poorly maintained that they can go off if you drop them, which means it's negligent to be loading them in the first place. He's a police sniper so I'm going to assume a certain level of firearm competence in regards to knowing his rifle is broken to the point when it could go off from being dropped. So that idiot either had his finger on the trigger, or let it get caught on something sticking out, but either way the rifle going off is 100% his fault.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

They actually had another problem with a similar gun from the same factory last year, where instead of going off by itself, it would go into uncontrollable runaway fire if you pulled the trigger, dumping the entire magazine at full auto. You could pretty easy make the case that Made In Brazil = poorly maintained.

Jerry Cotton posted:

By that logic there sure as hell have been very few accidents in the history of the world. Titanic sank? Why didn't they just go around the ice-berg. You? Daddy could've pulled out.

Titanic sank because, among other stupid human actions, the guy with the key to the locker with the binoculars in it stayed home and didn't give the key to his replacement. Yes, a hell of a lot of "accidents" can be ascribed to human negligence. You though? poo poo, sometimes bad luck is a real thing.

Memento fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 28, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CannonFodder posted:

Was it a Remington 700?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Something something Taurus.

I should have added "badly designed" to the section headed "poorly maintained" to cover these contingencies, true.

I think that's why those Brazilian guns were such fuckups; they were Brazilian (poor manufacturing standards) copies of Taurus guns (poor manufacturing standards) which meant that instead of just being unreliable and poorly built, they were actively extremely dangerous.

Memento fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 28, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jew it to it! posted:

Observe the mating ritual of the Australian bulldozer in it's natural habitat.

*Canadian. There's literally nowhere in Australia that has land that flat with snow on it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

I think it's tibet or possibly south korea.

That could be it. I mean, I assumed it was Canada only because of the large mining equipment and the snow, but it could be a whole bunch of places that aren't Australia.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

American workers had it way worse in the not so distant past. The lack of protection and fear doesn't really explain the eagerness to suck company dick even if it means you might die.

I guess the end stage capitalism Stock Holm syndrome kind of explains it. I also think Americans are generally very conservative, and part of that is this weird sense of loyalty. "The company will treat me better if I show my loyalty and use this death trap. Work hard and I will move up!" while the company can fire you for now reason and obviously gives no fucks about you if they are trying to kill you at work. And then when they gently caress you over, you just rationalize that you have to work harder and show more loyalty.

I don't have any good OSHA content. I work at a desk. The desk doesn't even have sharp corners.

So American workers are Boxer from Animal Farm?

"I will work harder"

"The masters are always right"

<glue factory>

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

Look at the loose stones in the foreground. There’s no way that the original image isn’t misleadingly rotated.

Yeah the angle of repose for that scree is way lower than what's on display. Photoshop.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Katosabi posted:

Because they're going to shut us down or because I'm going to get canned?

Your shop is getting shut down for at least a while, and that probably means you're getting stood down without pay for a while.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JoelJoel posted:

P sure that ain't what blood looks like.

What makes you doubt it? Looks like regular old butt-blood splatter to me? :shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jet Jaguar posted:

Whatever they are paying her, it is not enough to put up with this poo poo.

It's an Australian restaurant, so she's getting a living wage at least.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/austr...5bafb0595ef63c7

quote:

Her boss, Mimosa Wines owner Glenn Butson, told Storyful Ms Lila thought dragging goannas outside was just “what Aussies do”.
“She came here to improve her English and learn about Australian culture and wildlife,” he said.
“I recently told her a story about a goanna trapped in our shower and how I picked it up by the tail and carried it outside.
“She just thought that’s what Aussies do when a goanna comes inside.”

:australia: as gently caress

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PopeCrunch posted:

I don't know much about plutonium, but my guess is that if you are around when it catches fire, your life is about to get fairly complicated.

Briefly complicated maybe.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
http://i.imgur.com/OQEcxbX.mp4

Woops. I mean, there isn't actually any chance of this damaging either the armored vehicle that hit the cargo truck, or the cargo truck itself.

Still, I'd rather my nuclear transport convoys were as careful as they possibly could be.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Ok, didn't know that.

I mean, the Air Force does have authority to move nuclear weapons, but only in very strict circumstances involving authorisation from the president, secretary of state, and joint chiefs.

Listening to the new Hardcore History podcast ("The Destroyer of Worlds") and Carlin throws loving tons of shade at the American electorate during the second half. He goes on like a 9-minute lecture about how electing the US president is one of the biggest responsibilities in the world, how you're handing this terrible power to one person etc etc how this is something to consider soberly and rationally.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It loving galls me that the response I've seen to this, and stories like this, is "Well they should have pulled the identifying stickers off first!"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-10/australian-e-waste-ending-up-in-toxic-african-dump/8339760

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I used to hate this as well, but it's actually pretty ubiquitous in the US

http://duckbrand.com/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

What's Russian for "we need more lemon pledge"?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vanagoon posted:

Does it get more OSHA than nuclear testing?

These recently declassified nuclear test videos are utterly mesmerizing, terrifying
Sat in vaults for decades, Lawrence Livermore National Lab is putting them on YouTube.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/these-recently-declassified-nuclear-test-videos-are-utterly-mesmerizing-terrifying/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54PCN1MF1RU

Love this link at the end of the article
loving crackpot flat earthers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSOoY7PQWKw

I was chatting with a dude on twitter who is doing his phd on nuclear anthropology and I learned about the nuclear double flash which is not only neat science but can also be used to determine the yield of an atmospheric test.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh it gets better the diffuse layer of fallout products from atmospheric nuclear testing creates such an unmistakably clear and durable boundary strata that we have entered a new geological epoch of our own creation. Welcome to the anthropocene.

Literally the only geological epoch whose start time can be narrowed down to an exact point: 0529 UTC -6, July 16, 1945.

spankmeister posted:

Hey, wanna buy some pre-atomic steel?

Actually worth a shitload of money for various radiation detection devices that need to be super sensitive. There's probably steel from the WWI German Navy fleet in the CT scan machine in your local hospital. The German naval commander decided that instead of the Glorious Fleet of the Fatherland be divvied up between the Allied powers after Armistice, he would send it to the bottom of a channel off the north coast of Scotland.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Boiled Water posted:

Which we should be incredibly thankful for, I mean imagine where else we'd have to go to get uncontaminated steel (or iron and carbon? )

Good point, by now they would probably have started dredging up ships that were actually sunk in battle/accidents, given the skeletonised corpses inside a quicky burial at sea then gone about their business.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

loving hell I should have known

:smith:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

C.M. Kruger posted:

Probably been posted before but:

So what's going on there? Current accidentally earthing through a water pipe or something?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Three-Phase posted:

"Hey anybody got an insulated screwdriver?"
"No?"
"Ah screw it..."

https://youtu.be/ObevFZMohuA

I like the way the colour on the rest of the area of view washes out then slowly comes back to normal after the flash as the camera CCD compensates.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tumble posted:

Yea I don't have the context for it, but I'm pretty sure it's for preparing a rice paddy.

Side note, do you guys know why rice is typically grown in water like this? It's not because the rice requires it, but because not much else will grow in the water. That means less weeding and higher yields.

Yep, and then you can just throw some ducks in there to eat the water borne insects that can gently caress your rice up. Bonus fertiliser as well.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Of all the potential forklift failures that could have been, I must admit I saw that going differently. Spontaneous existence failure wasn't something that seemed to be on the cards.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nenonen posted:

(so will your polyester overalls)

Heard a story of a dude on an Exploration drill rig who was splashed with flammable liquid that was then set on fire. He was completely fine, except for the high-vis patches on his legs, where the synthetic fibre melted onto his leg straight away. He apparently has bands of scar tissue only there, and the company that was supplying the PPE was found to be cutting corners and not using proper fire retardant reflective material.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I had a maths teacher in high school that was missing just his ring finger on his right hand, all they way to the base.

Turns out "getting a finger cut off by an African warlord" is an occupational hazard when you're a foreigner teaching in Zaire in the 80s.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

Imagine what you could achieve with that kind of efficiency. knock your work week out in 2 days and have 5 days free to sit around and do drugs.

I worked two jobs and did this when I was in university - Early shift at the first job Thursday, late shift at the second job Thursday night, back it up on Friday with the same thing, then sleep all weekend.

I don't recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Hume Highway run between Melbourne and Sydney, the busiest truck hauling route in the country, has frames over the top with cameras that read signs on the top of the truck. They log distance travelled as well as elapsed time between points for average speed.

shame on an IGA posted:

I85 collapse unmasked: STAIRS AREN'T STORAGE.

I thought those were barrels of something for a second.

Memento fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 31, 2017