Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

VectorSigma posted:

those people have clearly never seen cartoons or played video games.

Maybe they have; there's always loot at the bottom of those hidden areas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Mozi posted:

Progress, then? My '02 CRV doesn't make a noise if you leave it with the lights on so I've been bitten a few times when I started driving early in the morning and finished when it was bright out.

I have an 02 Civic which does the same thing and I've drained my battery about 3 times. It sucks.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

fyodor posted:

Dont believe the toothpaste they just don't want you to get high as gently caress.

Toothpaste is the nutmeg of your bathroom

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

C.M. Kruger posted:

Here's a pretty horrible steel foundry disaster from China.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qinghe_Special_Steel_Corporation_disaster

Here's a picture of the accident from inside the foundry :nms: :nws:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well you know how Dr Bruce Banner can grow extremely large and strong? Pretty much exactly the same as that except on a really really tiny localized scale inside his organs.

I am thinking more "Akira" and less The Incredible Hulk

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sirotan posted:

David "Stew" Kirwan

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

I hope they at least bought that guy a new pair of pants

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

Here's a video that isn't fake, from mother Russia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ-fBgzwikA

I've always wondered what would happen if one of those trucks crashed

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

amityville anus posted:

15 minutes away from leaving work today as i was reaching over some drill bits in a rack i put a 3 inch gash into my forearm. Cleanest slice ever i just grazed the bit and it felt like a fingernail scratch. I've had more painful paper cuts but its quite ghastly in appearance and i saw it cut through a few different layers of meat before blood started flowing.

The other guy said to take a picture so i took 3. 1 for the thread. Here's a worker's almost bandaged forearm in a factory backed with 1, possibly 2, grey floors accented with crud. The shine is antibiotic ointment Crisco because im a fatass goon and can't put down the shortening even in a filthy warehouse.

it's gory but didn't hurt much cause those drills are really loving sharp. Do Not Click if seeing blood makes you faint unless you need sleep.

An inch to the right and it would have hit some serious poo poo. An inch to the left and it would have missed my white rear end.

That doesnt look too bad

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Isn't a big cloud of flour really flammable?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Second picture is a bandaged hand; first picture is a mangled hand.

That man's hand will permanently be giving the "shocker" sign. Also (strangely enough) your ring finger is the second most important for grip (thumb most important). I learned this when Jason Pierre Paul, who plays for the Giants, blew off his index finger in a fireworks accident. Apparently the index finger is the least important for grip strength.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Conversely, there are plenty of shops that will pass your vehicle that has many things wrong with it for less than a few hundred bucks.

Same in Virginia, you have to hunt for a shop that won't bilk you for hundreds in unnecessary repairs. Then there are shops that pretty much just do inspections only, will probably pass you but there is often a 3 hour plus wait to get inspected, since everyone goes there. The free market has created the most inefficient system for inspections, would rather get them done at the dang DMV.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

I heart bacon posted:

CO2 inhalation feels scary as hell. I've had it happen a few times. I've had to open up fermenters to add either fertilizer or antibiotics to them. The only reaction I've ever had to CO2 is dizziness and terror. I'd hate to die that way since it was a panic attack.

CO2 is the pretty much the only gas used to euthanize lab animals, probably because if nitrogen was used it might pose a danger to lab personnel, even if it is much more humane. Mice definitely freak the hell out before succumbing. Also there was some really dumb regulation (national i think) passed to reduce flow rate so the mice suffer for 10 minutes and not 2 because supposedly it's more humane?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

oohhboy posted:

Maybe so you don't gas the people if something is broken that causes the room to get flooded? Someone likely died getting that rule written, just got to look for it.

The rule wasn't written by OSHA, but rather the animal use oversight board, so it has nothing to do with human safety

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Glagha posted:

I'm trying hard to figure out what the hell you had to do to get a car in that situation

Noclip mode enabled

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Are hardhats like buttered toast in that they will always land upside-down?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

I hate people who are too lazy to clean the snow off the top of their cars. This makes me rage

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

lurklurklurk posted:

I think it's ozone plasma being generated by arcing. Ozone is created when the air reaches breakdown voltage and an arc passes through, and ozone plasma glows purple.

e: Can't be an EE without loving the smell of ozone, mmmmm.

You are now entering the O-zone (OSHA zone)

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Reasons for termination: Willful disregard of safety standards. Operator was previously instructed to stay inside forklift cage in the event of an accident, as that is the safest location to be.

Osha thread: Judge Gorsuch sentences man to barbecue

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Nenonen posted:

:ussr: DRILL DEVOCHKA DRILL :ussr:

some of these show people die in terrible ways so be warned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx36cQWa210

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soEAejzu6Lw

:nms: from the very beginning :nms: but the reactions of the work mates are quite something :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D48AO4diDTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymoCr8q1t4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6bZOyinZwQ

These are all horrible

The manlift one in the last video is especially terrible

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Man tries to fix traffic light with stick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05LOINlJmc4

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Playing five finger filet with a robotic arm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4izQnNE2S2o

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

How much does a steel beam weigh?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

MausoleumExtremist posted:

I'm totally OK with giant buildings roaming the countryside on pseudopods.

It's ok, they are here for our protection

https://youtu.be/azEvfD4C6ow

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Powershift posted:

They throw their hands up and say "well, the time and effort it will take to save this moron could cost the lives of more valuable people." and walk away.

aaaaaaaah just kidding.

If I was making a calavera, I'd use better starting material

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Please show me a thunderstorm that travels across the entire US at 1600 miles per hour.

Thunder happens when a cloud breaks the sound barrier, duh

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The storm hit, but drat if those straps didn't work great.

Hurricane Wile E Coyote

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

THA BRIDGE IS OUHT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbW47lgC95I

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

great stuff

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I'm pretty sure that's our travel expense system. I just got an expense report rejected because I included a line item for a $22 tip for hotel housekeeping (11 nights stay). No, I need to redo it so that it is 11 separate line items for $2 each.

Edit: Ooh, Monday bonus. Left work last Wednesday, our big expensive mobile telemetry trailer is sitting right where in should, in the parking lot/accessway between two buildings.

Today, the big expensive mobile telemetry trailer was sitting a big hole filled with the remains of the fire main. It has now been moved to a less subsidable location.

Chromeriver loving sucks

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

DiHK posted:

I'm making a list. PM me with additions

Fern Gulley, Rats of Nim, Black Calderon Legend, Rocky Horror, Pinball Wizard, HC Andersons's Little Mermaid, all of Hayao Miyazaki films...

staplerfahrer klaus

OSHA thread

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

How in the gently caress does a land rover engine fire spread to 1400 other vehicles in a concrete structure

Are yall mandating gunpowder as a construction material on knife crime island

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/01/the-associated-press-parking-garage-fire-destroys-roughly-1400-of-cars-in-uk.html

Have you never played GTA? A car on fire will explode, catching nearby cars on fire.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

retards with petards

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Memento posted:

Pneumonia kills 50,000+ people a year in the US and is the 8th leading cause of death.

Also, that image is from the late 1930s, and pneumonia was probably killing a shitton more people back then.

I think the joke he was making is that man eating sharks are very rare and not worth being concerned about, unlike pneumonia, which is common.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Memento posted:

yeah of course it is, god drat I swung and missed on that one lol

You would've seen the joke coming if it was wearing a high-vis vest.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

1.7 billion kr for a tunnel that large and long seems quite a-fjord-able

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

I believe I can fly

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Serious question: How do you deal with the, um, extra entropy when investigating something like this?

A Costco sized box of Ziploc sandwich bags

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah its a thing where people put fleshlights on car exhausts for funny videos.

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Y0dLTbISw:nws:

That YouTube users name is Howie Feltersnatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

mostlygray posted:

As a person who learned to drive in northern MN:
1. Take the deer, not the ditch. Comp covers hitting a deer, it does not cover the ditch.
2. If a deer jumps out in front of you, steer into it. That way you pass behind. If you steer away, you'll hit it. If it changes direction, you and it were screwed anyway.
3. There's no such thing as one deer. If you see one, look behind it for the other. Come to a complete stop if you have to.
4. Save the deer and eat it if you can. If you break it's neck clean and don't smush it, there's good meat there. If anything, you can save the hide. Once the cop or game warden calls it good, enjoy your venison. They don't mind.
5. Do not hit the deer dead on. If it comes through your window, it will not die and will be quite upset. An angry deer sitting on your lap will likely kill you.
6. The deer *will* jump in front of you. It's a given. They always do. I once had a buck break it's neck by ramming the car while we were passing it slowly. They are silly creatures.

Northern Minnesota? What are your driving rules for moose?