Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I remember there was some youtube channel that had more of those videos like the CG diver accident videos but for all sorts of OSHA stuff, they were really interesting break downs on how and why the accidents occurred and how they could have been prevented, rather educational. I can't seem to find them on the internet anywhere, anyone know what I'm talking about?

Worksafe BC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Mouse spiders look really similar to funnel web spiders, certainly close enough for people to go "Nope, ain't going anywhere near that fucker, goodbye!" Their venom is pretty darned toxic but there's no record of their bite ever causing a fatality in Australia.

The guideline for treatment is 'treat as for severe funnelweb envenomation'.

Also, the main reason for no-recorded-fatalities is (unlike atrax robustus), we haven't built a major population centre smack in the middle of their range. I'd wager one or two of the empty pairs of boots dotted about rural NSW would be down to a mouse spider.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I suspect Colin's death will be quite boring, probably CO poisoning in his bunker or shed.

Remember, kids, unflued combustion gasses in confined spaces kill.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Humphreys posted:

I prefer to imagine a rube goldberg type series of dowels and string to synchronize all the controls. Then one guy (Jim) in charge and sneezing at a critical moment.

You aren't seriously suggesting that curtain rod and bailing wire pushrods aren't an appropriate control synchronization method, are you?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

But there were no casualties aside from the site manager getting his head put on a pike

What's the SWMS for putting someone's head on a pike?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY3Chp-mtqQ

If they synchronize the switching, it's almost like they're making music! :yayclod:

Barrier between personnel and energized equipment? What are you talking about?

I don't doubt that someone, somewhere will have a polaroid of their dear old dad lighting a cigarette in the arc struck by one of those relays.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Photonic induction is great. I felt quite sure he'd killed himself when he didn't put a video up for six months, but then he was back with a 250 volt battery pack the next day.

Personal favourite is the episode where he causes brownouts in his street and the police come.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Sup, thread

Never buy a reverse cycle again using this one weird trick - A/C manufacturers hate him!

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

haveblue posted:

More like a rolling 7'0, it's totally incompatible with normal-sized trucks.

Interior looks pretty swanky though, more like a ferry than a bus.

I remember the China.jpg thread: no guy popping a squat in front of everyone, clearly photoshopped.

I also love their cable management solution. Elegant.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Pingiivi posted:

I might be completely talking absolute garbage but I read up on this and they said that it only does its job on stuff that absorbs the laser. Like rust or paint or whatever.

The question is "what happens if you're stripping paint off a mirrorlike surface".

My guess is that it would be fine (with eyepro) on rough or pitted surfaces, but I see things ending super badly if you're stripping a polished surface.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
The firefighter is taking little tiny baby steps, which makes me think his training stuck.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Safety video.

"In the wild, the only natural predator of the train is bright orange. Here, a yardsman demonstrates why you should never wear bright colours in the hump yard as a large bull-train spots him and immediately charges".

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 1, 2016

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

MrYenko posted:

So much adrenaline that he stops to make a video.

:black101:

That come-down on the way to the hospital is going to suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I'm just imagining the scene when he gets to A&E. Specifically, that one particular person who is in every A&E worldwide: the rail-thin woman whose son/daughter has the sniffles and who badgers the triage nurse non-stop to get this clearly life-threatening case bumped to the top of the queue. Mid badgering, this chap wanders in "Hello, a bear tried to eat me. Also, I may have spritzed myself with bear mace".

New page could use some content:

http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor.php?lesson=safety3/demo

Story only, chap kills himself with zinc fumes. E: Grind, wire-wheel or flap disc through gal before you weld it.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 3, 2016

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's worth knowing that that YouTube video was funded by the rail interests in Australia in lieu of making road/rail crossings safer. I forget the cost tradeoff between making the video and putting in modern crossing equipment, but it was substantial.

I've never understood this argument when it's been put to me. It is essentially "Some people run red lights or stop signs, therefor every intersection needs to be rebuilt as a cloverleaf".

Put red light cameras on level crossings, issue offenders (or their estates) fines and points. It's pretty well established that people won't drive safely because it'll save their lives, but they will modify their driving behavior to avoid fines.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Hm, you work at an electric motor factory, eh?

There's something I've always wondered. Why is it that you can get a motor that is, say, about the size of a basketball -- e.g. the motor on top of a milling machine -- that's rated for like 3 horsepower, but you can also get a motor roughly the same size in e.g. an electric motorcycle that's rated for like 45 horsepower? What's the difference between those two that makes one so much more powerful than the other?

Two things: Duty Cycle and Marketing Bullshit.

45eHP and the size of a coffee can will get hot quickly and will either need lots of active cooling (which makes it significantly larger), and/or to not be run for very long at full load. I don't think I've seen an electric motor with continuous/5 minute power shown on the nameplate, but I'm certain one exists. 3eHP motor the same size (assuming it's not a China Export special where they have a huge case full of air with a small motor to keep it company) will probably cheerfully run at full load at 45ºC forever. Guy running the tool not so much.

Marketing wank /should/ be OSHA in the sense that there should be a season where marketers can legally be shot under a permit system, but since that's not legal it's not OSHA.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
They're being ground up by a screw conveyor.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Humphreys posted:

Aren't the painted ones kinda toxic?

Only if they burn.

Oh.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

That will only work on some trees, palm trees are notably able to survive ring barking. It has to do with how the internal structure of the tree is laid out. In some trees the xylem is only around the outer layer of the tree (the xylem carries nutrients and water up to the leaves) so ring barking the tree cuts the xylem and starves anything above the ring. Palm trees (and others) that have different xylem layouts will survive.

But now I'm super anxious about my tungsten carbide wedding band.

Tungsten carbide is a great material for a lot of things, but I'm not sure why you'd want it for a wedding band. I think it was this thread where someone linked a car accident victim having a finger surgically amputated to remove the ring prior to the actual trauma surgery they needed. I always thought you'd just hit it with a hammer to remove it in a hurry but apparently not.

Nope: turns out hammers do remove tungsten carbide handily, and other than the sintering alloys possibly being toxic your ring is no more hazardous than any other.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
You're all wrong about this.

Based on my extensive experience in Euro Truck SImulator, the solution is to drive the truck really, really fast and jump the railway using the embankment as a ramp instead of taking the underpass.

Really, it's trivially easy and I'm amazed the city authorities have overlooked it for so long.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3YhpoGxzOw

Greatest hits of people pranging heavy equipment.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Is that a steam heater or something?

I think it's just a standard electric baseboard heater.

Even if it's just the housing or the innards either end short of the plumbing, bonding your earth to the plumbing isn't permitted in the developed world and the metal housing is earthed. So not only can you turn yourself into a human light bulb, you can also conceivably light up the poor bastard replacing a water service over the road.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Why the gently caress can't the people in charge of companies be charged for crimes like these? Why is it always 'they just are forced to pay money'. Perhaps if we saw the CEO/etc of that company and companies like them be sent to prison for inhuman treatment of employees / delayed murder / whatever, we might see them actually pay more attention. ...

Some states in Australia now have Industrial Manslaughter laws. Your employees die as an outcome of your actual* policies and procedures? You are an executive or a member of the board? Congratulations, you're in the running for an all-expenses-paid trip to prison. In addition to your fines.

*: Meaning what's in actual common practice on your sites, not what's written in your employee handbook.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Same but also staplers. Out of every batch of new warehouse workers there's always one or two who do the old "shooting meself in the head with an empty stapler har har har" bit and are amazed when it really hurts.

More frequently done with pneumatic staplers, where people assume that the staples always come out the end air does not come in.

Anta posted:

Some kindergarteners found some neat-looking flat stones outside.

So, of course, the kindergarten makes a fun activity out of it, shaping and painting the stone plates, even making some gifts for the parents.

Google translated article, I couldn't find an English language one.

Well, at least they were breaking it instead of cutting it. But yeah, look forward to your future cancer cluster.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 25, 2017

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I don't see any tiny people getting mown down, though?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

I think this is the first time Say Nothing has actually said anything in this thread.

Also, doesn't look like a miserable industrial shitscape - Russia finally found something it could export other than crushing depression and alcoholism?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

MF_James posted:

It's also very hard to inspect what you can't see. If there were no stress fractures or anything to indicate that the foundation of the spillway has been compromised, there's not much you can do about it.

I am all for being proven wrong by people that know more than me though

You might trot out penetrating RADAR to look for voids (and core movement), but you would be unlikely to do that unless you suspected something was amiss. Usually, you'd use a theodolite to check the run of the spillway (as well as the dam crest, wall and toe) to look for movement as part of a regular inspection (note: not the sum total of the inspection), and leave it at that until fracturing/spalling was observed.

They missed an opportunity here to tell people that the saddle and emergency spillway was actually a fuse plug. A fuse plug is a part of a dam engineered to fail early to protect the main dam, typically (but not always) built into the crest of the spillway.

I'll be interested if the repairs effected in 2013 included stitching between the spillway walls and floor.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

That means that each dam would be inspected every five years or less, assuming they spend a week at each one. Seems reasonable.

The vast majority of dam inspection is by telemetry, using vibrating wire piezometers and strain gauges (all telemetered) to keep a continuous eye on seepage and deformation. If nothing is found to be deficient, it usually takes a day or two to inspect a dam. Generally the inspector is the qualified engineer; he or she will usually be assisted by people who are on the payroll as "general labour" or similar.

ethanol posted:

Jesus and they're made out of concrete. this may seem obvious to some but concrete fatigues under load and has to be repaired. Maybe less obvious is that a dam may be able to withstand a full resevoir the first time, the second time, the 10^n times. But repeated loads reduce the maximum allowable stress over time

Basically this (this is not the graph for concrete), just an example.

I'm just highlighting how important dam inspection will be as the years progress. This dam seems to be failing due to erosion, which is pretty alarming since no inspection can prevent that, it just is very poorly planned

Concrete has a flexure limit. So long as your dam (or other concrete structure) is designed to keep the concrete under this limit, it won't fatigue. This dam is an earth wall dam with a clay core. What will be fun is older multistory carparks and bridges which were not designed around literally everyone driving 2+ tonne trucks.

Erosive flows are an issue any time a dam is overtopped; in this case, it was a secondary saddle that was being overtopped and eroded, not the main dam. The erosion of the saddle is an issue but its failure would be akin to a fuse plug, and prevent overtopping to the main body of the dam thereby avoiding significantly worse failure. Concrete dams are also subject to failure this way, generally through scouring of the abutments and toe.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The overall number of high-hazard dams, as of 2012, was almost 14,000.

Need to point out here that "high hazard" doesn't automatically denote that the dam is at-risk. Dam hazard classifications are based on the outcome of dam break failure, not the probability of a dam-break failure; the hazard classification will be used in determining things like maximum design inflow at TWL (e.g. a low-risk dam might only have a 1:100 spillway). ANCOLD will tell you more on the topic than you're ever likely to want to know but they'll also charge you $200 for the book; tellingly they start with a disclaimer that if you follow their advice to the letter and bad things happen, that's on you.

boner confessor posted:

here's a different angle

the big hole that washed out the road is the problem. if that continues to erode it could undermine the concrete lip of the spillway and then everyone has a real lovely day

Hope one of you owns a shotcreting company.

That still looks like the saddle. I'll be interested how the main spillway looks once it's dry. As has been said, fixing the road lets you get equipment where it's needed to effect repairs on the toe of the spillway apron, which is why it gets fixed (to a pretty low value of 'fixed') first.

VVV: The concrete apron to the left of the photo I quoted is the crest of the emergency spillway/saddle dam, and the thing that I'm talking about accessing. The other option is to repair it off a barge.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 15, 2017

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

The pipe goes through the U then the bolts hold the U and consequentially, the pipe, in place.

Instead the pipe is held in place by two tiny nuts.

I sometimes do stuff like that when I'm mocking things up to just hold things approximately correct while I take measurements/angles/tack plates approximately into place for future IPCRESS to sort out/grind off plates past IPCRESS tacked in the wrong place. So I'm hopeful that this isn't the finished product.

Using a gas bottle as a stool isn't a great plan even when you aren't doing hot work. At least he's not welding the rim, I guess?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

What's the logic of this, exactly? Is there something in carpeting that would screw up their meters? Are they worried about static electricity buildup doing...something? Or is it about it being easier to find stuff/clean up on a hard floor, in case they somehow lose a piece of the source? If that's a risk, why the hell are they doing it indoors instead of in a lab? For that matter, why are they doing it indoors in a human-occupied space at all, instead of in the garage or something?

So many questions.

In the event that any of the source material escapes containment, a non-porous hard floor without seams means you can get almost all of it back.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

From the spaceflight thread:

This could simplify power politics in east Asia.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Buttcoin purse posted:

Oh, thanks, I never thought too deeply about why the highway doesn't hug the coast there.

That's a nice power board. What's the problem, it doesn't have overload protection? :v:

No seriously, I don't know what's wrong with it except maybe there are lots of holes into which you could accidentally put something metal and get electrocuted, it's not my department but I'm curious.

Also it looks like maybe it used to be hanging by the cords?

Best guess is 230V expected on the type I/C sockets, 110V expected on any type A plug you may attach to it. China is 230V at the wall (allegedly).

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

I'd make a joke about groverhaus, but there aren't enough wall sockets in evidence.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

What happened?

Don't know about this one but typically the tread and the casing seperate and allow air into the newly created void. The tread isn't designed to hold pressure and you wind up with what you see here. For haul trucks, it'd be costing more than a few thousand an hour since you'd need to find some other route for your remaining haul trucks to use while they tidy up this one. Spoiler: if this has happened, it will be One Of Those Days(tm), and there won't be another route and your pit will have to sit idle.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

"Paddy's motorbike" checks out.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

I've seen a link and pin design where the slot you put the link into is extendable, and has a separate pin that locks it in the collapsed position. The trick is that you can extend it out and hook it up while they're just sort of vaguely close (and there's enough play that the exact distance doesn't matter), and then after you've done that the locomotive can push it all the way together without anyone needing to be in the middle.

I think this was the front connector on a british high speed train, but good like finding any video of it without sifting through hundreds of hours of BRITISH STEAM TRAIN AT HIGH SPEED crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBv1cg0tm0&t=233s

e: Disucssion of commbloc OHSA would be a very different thread indeed.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 25, 2017

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXnkXaRnNrI

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

What is that even supposed to be?

An elaborate escape mechanism from the drudgery of day-to-day life in Putin's Russia. Cost two potato. If it weren't for the seat belt, it would have worked too.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Horses being spooked should not be covered under any sort of insurance as it's a core feature of the species.

On the flip side, horse owners being predominantly self-centred assholes is pretty well documented. Strangely, of the ones I've met, they're all either completely insufferable or the nicest people you'd ever hope to meet with no middle ground.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Samopsa posted:

went on holiday to Portugal

Huh. Consider this: In addition to the rats nest, those are misting fans. So there's water in the mix too. Hope you don't get lit the gently caress up by a faucet while you're there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Volcott posted:

How obese do you need to be before that's something that might happen when they light you up?

I think that the warning flags go up when they need to use a mechanical rammer to stuff your corpulent arse onto the hearth.