Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

I'm thinking as the barge starts to slip away "get out of the cab you dumb gently caress"

Hope he made it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Phanatic posted:

You can see the door slam shut in the corner of the frame one point, I assume because he opened it and bailed.

thank you friend, you're right

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Please don't do any wiring in your own homes, just don't. I don't know if it's different in the good ol' "Land of the Free" but it's illegal in Australia for good reasons

starkebn
May 18, 2004

magimix posted:

*shudder*

That gives me flashbacks. Styro plants are not fun places to work (at the least, the one I spent time at back in the early nineties wasn't). I did plenty of factory work when I was younger, and if you could get into the headspace of "you're here solely because you're slightly cheaper than the machine that can do the same work", and let your mind wander, it wasn't so bad.

But the styro place was something else. Razor-thin staffing (I worked nights), and enough stuff happening with the machines that you had to be *focused* on the work, the whole time. And the moulded stuff is sopping with water when it comes out the machines. 12-hour shifts, running up and down a plant-floor, getting soaking wet while martialing stacks of styro boxes about the place. And you better keep up, because those fuckers didn't wait for no man - nothing like looking down the other end of the floor and seeing a line of shite snaking into the wall and backing up into the machine (they came out taped into stacks).

Sifting through rotten farm produce looking for the not-too-rotten stuff to re-pack? Whatever. My time roofing? Often enjoyable, for all the cuts, burns, and a couple of bad falls. Cosmetics factories? There were people to talk to, at least.

But the styro place? *gently caress* that place. gently caress it forever. :stare:

*ahem*

Solidarity brother, worked the line for a few months for peanuts. Loud as gently caress too, so you just had no way to talk to anyone. And, the machines didn't stop so everyone had staggered 10 minute breaks. You basically did the whole drudgery shift alone.

Started driving the forklift whenever the hired driver wasn't around and they figured I could do that job better.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

as someone who has worked on a loading dock, this is fantastic

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Scott Forstall posted:

how did he imagine this would go before he started?

young male, didn't even consider what might happen

starkebn
May 18, 2004

PLEASE USE OTHER DOOR is just a request though. You can't let the public make choices like that.

The screws should have worked though. :confused:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Ikasuhito posted:

That sounds like a challenge to me.:colbert:

that's if it said "PLEASE NO SWIMMING"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Are they going to have to pull the other side down and start again from scratch?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

There's nothing magical about 3 phase power, it's just 3 normal wires, but instead of going from active to neutral, you go from one active phase to another, and you end up with a higher potential V. 440V would definitely hurt, and have the potential to kill you if the current disrupted your heart rhythm or burnt some important flesh or organ, but it's not mechanically different to a 110V line.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

eh, I've met people who've been hit by 50kV and survived, it all depends :) I'm sure he wouldn't recommend it to others though. All I'm trying to point out is that '3-phase' power isn't some sort of extra-killy electricity that some people here seem to think.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

spankmeister posted:

One more: Three phase supplies are more dangerous because the voltage between two phases is higher than between a single phase and neutral (208v vs 120v in US) and thus will deliver more current into your dumb rear end

Yes, if you touch phase to phase. If you just grab one wire of :frogsiren:3 phase electricity:frogsiren: and it earths through you, then you're just getting 110v in the US. I can tell you already know that, just clearing it up for the listeners.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I used to "powernap" during my morning break at work, like 15 mins. Usually someone would wake me up when it was time to get back to work. One day, when it had been raining heavily all week, I overslept because they had an emergency meeting while I was napping and sent everyone home before the flood waters blocked all the roads home. So when I woke up about 1 in the afternoon my car was the only one left in the car park out of about 200 cars that usually parked there. Good thing the culture the was pretty laid back because security weren't too worried that I was wandering out of the giant workshop hours after everyone else had vacated.

The roads also thankfully weren't flooded yet.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I was pretty surprised when she was telling me. I sort of see the logic from the insurance angle though. A theft is a specific sort of claim and assumed specific sort of risks. But if your teenage son who sometimes drives the family car smashes it up you can't just declare it stolen because on that particular night you didn't give him permission. I forget all the specific terms, but if you live with someone and they gently caress up your car there's still absolutely insurance coverage for that, but it's not treated specifically as "theft" when a member of the household took it.

pretty shady to consider a housemate "a member of the household" in that sort of circumstance

starkebn
May 18, 2004

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Alcohol may have been involved in the looting of additional alcohol.

in Ireland?

:eyepop:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Cable Guy posted:

Mylars pretty tough, it would need a flaw you'd probably spot when you put it on the scope. If it got a simple tear I'm guessing it would probably be defused/defocused enough that you'd get away without eye damage... if the torn bit flapped off or away from the scope though you would be in trouble.

Bolded bit... why is that?

if they use pvc instead of copper in parts of the plumbing

starkebn
May 18, 2004

There's no way that is getting built

starkebn
May 18, 2004

That probably cost at least $59

starkebn
May 18, 2004

This is loving funny but horrifying if you put yourself in the position of the driver

starkebn
May 18, 2004

definitely defective cars fault, but why the gently caress would you casually cross the road in front of a full speed car?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

IPCRESS posted:

Here's another not-robot-car OSHA thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEg89lfj_Vg

He did it, the madman actually did it

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I wonder if it was Julijonas Urbonas?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

66 men and 2 women who "visited" the cells - i.e. they were locked up

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Noice

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ctTNrCp.mp4

The video this is from is here. I watched it all happen and I still don't understand the train of thought that went into causing it. Someone help me out here.

siktir!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/o5YPY9x.mp4

starkebn
May 18, 2004

if you can't feel the difference in the truck's handling when the bed is up you need to stop being a professional driver

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Living in a world where nearly everybody has a video camera in their pocket is good for this thread.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/qwUnjR3.mp4

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I once helped a guy who got a butchers knife up to the hilt through his eye after blowing something up in his shed. Saw him getting around, with difficulty, a few months later, so the brain can take some punishment.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/c1shsSu.mp4

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Xxsc8ry.mp4

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/BltyJD0.mp4

the driver claimed a BIRD FLEW INTO THE TRUCK

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/L2TxJRF.mp4

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

This has to be a commercial, right?

yeah, it seems a bit pat, but I want to believe.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/4wC6afl.mp4

and bonus

https://i.imgur.com/X2nNtnF.mp4

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Are beetles more prone to genetic mutation or something? Or have they just been around for a long time?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Memento posted:

They've been around for quarter of a billion years, they don't have a lot of time between generations, and they're insanely adapted to their individual niches.

Cool, thanks

starkebn
May 18, 2004

are there other kinds of Russian men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1001839538002694144

1:55 and 3:10 and 8:00 are the best bits