Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

glynnenstein posted:

I love a manual transmission, but holy poo poo 10 years of DC traffic commute and I had to give it up to keep an automatic around. I think my left leg was getting deformed like a fiddler crab. I wish I had a timer just to keep track of how many hours I held down the clutch in the cars I used to drive.

i feel you bro, did the same thing in LA and after years finally gave it up and went automatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Mustached Demon posted:

For most people, fascination with HF should start with fastening a good pair of running shoes to one's feet. Then it's advisable to leave the vicinity of the HF.

I used to work at this inorganic chemistry R&D/manufacturing place that didn't have awful OSHA, but didn't have the best either. To wit, some of the R&D people got sick from a zinc vapor release in the lab. poo poo happens, and it doesn't happen all the time, but those Ph.D.'s should have known better.

Fast forward a couple of years to the discovery of a new compound and the desire to synthesize such on an industrial scale. The ops people and the CTO were pushing a HF-based synthesis process. I was pretty horrified and didn't want to be anywhere near there, as I value my sense of smell and life. When I had an opportunity to volunteer to get laid off shortly thereafter, I ran, not walked, out of there.

I have no idea if they ever went down the HF path but my friends from there are all still alive and able to smell, so I guess they are doing OSHA!

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Powershift posted:

Chernobyl is the never-nuclear crowd's Hillary.

But her EM radiation!

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yeah, I just noticed that those were zeros, too. I have no idea why I did that. Hey what can I say it was before I had my coffee this morning. To answer your question though, I'm pretty sure it was 8th grade. 1977. Yeah, I'm :corsair:

You may be the only goon older than me (8th grade 1979). I learned to type on a manual typewriter.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Every chair I've ever sat in is contaminated with flammable vapors.

:same:

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Lazyhound posted:

Supertrain. It was a clusterfuck.

Real talk, I was a kid in the 70s and watched the big 2 hour premiere of that POS. It was Love Boat on rails. At least Love Boat was often entertaining.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

thoughts and prayers posted:

I read that article too. It's illuminating. https://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/a5380/millionaire-starter-wife/

He has a thing for slowly pushing his wives to become Stepford-level dependent, with platinum blonde hair.

Meh. Maybe it's just my cynicism as a lawyer, but I am very leery of any statements made by any spouse during a divorce proceeding. They are always self serving and rarely verifiable.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

ageism (against old people) isn't a real thing fyi, except in like silicon valley style bro startups

95% of the time when someone complains about being discriminated against because they're old, it's actually because they're incompetent

which sucks, especially if your brain has too many holes to retrain to the new ways of working, but like, well, too bad

Lol, sounds like someone is under 50!

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

When Quidditch goes wrong

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Jake Mustache posted:

Two person motorcycle racing with the functional/safety features of the sidecar removed.

https://gfycat.com/parallelartisticlamprey

No one has seen "Sidehackers" on MST3K?

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Jerry Cotton posted:

Very, also wet.

Do you have a wetness factor for that?

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

`Nemesis posted:

Most seat belt tickets are like $25 to $50, and you can't even be pulled over for it as a primary offense in 15 states.

The problem with making it a primary offense has nothing to do with safety. It's that you've given the cops a pretext for pulling over any driver at any time. in America, guess who they pull over for that? Hint: it's not white people.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

xergm posted:

I'm now imagining some sort of airbag belt to protect geriatric hips from falls.

My old boss invented that in 2002!

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Murica!

Whenever you think this loving place has hit bottom you realize there's a lot further to fall.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

In truckfuckling-adjacent news, this week one of our Ohio drivers saw one of our trailers being pulled by a random owner-operator and called it in- turns out that last week it was stolen from Amazon in Baltimore (Happy Prime day!!!)- he called it in to us and I let the owner of the company know. He instructed the driver to try to safely keep up with him and call the police.

The OO wasn't governed and was going about 80 so our driver lost him, but state PD caught up with him, checked his paperwork, and let him go because Officer Jimbob from Bumblefuck, OH couldn't read our name on the trailer.

Upon hearing this my boss starts calling PDs until he gets the barracks that pulled him over and convinced them to give him the shipper's name. He then calls the shipper and, while cranking up the South Jersey Italian accent to 11, proceeds to threaten them until they give him the consignee. He then redirects our nearest driver to bobtail to the location, block the guy in, and hand him his cell phone so he can threaten the owner-operator until he relinquishes our trailer.

This is the kind of law enforcement one expects in the first world.

Oh wait...

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What browser?

Maybe your adblock is hiding them?

They work fine for me in the Awful App for Android.

Awful App for Android has been making GBS threads on me the last 24 hours until recently when it forced me to sign in again, FYI.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Sirotan posted:

He was getting ready to remove all the spent grains from the mash tun (you can see the giant rake to the right of him), because at this stage all of the liquid has been drained off and transferred to your kettle for boiling. But someone hosed up. Dude is super lucky he didn't get horrifically burned.

He definitely is. I'm a homebrewer and I've done some brewing with pros for fun, on a system sized just like this.

What baffles me is how he didn't burn his hand to poo poo touching that stainless steel door while he was opening it up. The mash is going to be at least 150 F and that stainless will get hot accordingly.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Sirotan posted:

He was getting ready to remove all the spent grains from the mash tun (you can see the giant rake to the right of him), because at this stage all of the liquid has been drained off and transferred to your kettle for boiling. But someone hosed up. Dude is super lucky he didn't get horrifically burned.

Here's an OSHA story from Teri Fahrendorf, who is an excellent brewer. http://www.terifahrendorf.com/burn-article.htm

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

lol if you posted:

no seatbelts, my mom ain't exactly winning any good parenting awards

I think she wins a great parenting award by doing whatever she had to do to keep Kindergarden You from turning into a blob of red goo!

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Phanatic posted:

Once upon a time, people hated children.

I just crawled around the car and in between the front and back seat in the late '60s and the '70s like a normal kid.

we had a Dodge Monaco station wagon when I was a kid that had a space between the back seat and the rear facing back back seat. It was cool to lie down in there and take a nap or just kind of sit in there.

Bacon Taco fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 28, 2019

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Dr.Smasher posted:

There's also the part where the screw anchors they used in stone are the wrong type, and technically illegal. This means that in theory, large sections of concrete have to be torn out and replaced.

You get to a certain point with screwed up projects of any kind, whether they're construction or not, where it's easier just to blow them up and start from scratch. BER was there years ago.

This is a similar issue to projects that are just over budget, when people decide they'll redesign to "save money. It's one thing to have been counters try to get you to change projects that are engineered perfectly well in midstream, just because they're over budget, and that inevitably ends up costing more than just building the thing you planned to build in the first place. The difficult thing here is whether the ultimate decision maker has enough experience and wisdom to know when to keep going and when to stop. Clearly the people in charge of BER had neither experience nor wisdom.

Bacon Taco fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 28, 2019

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Jet Jaguar posted:

Somebody tweeting about the tear gas in HK pointed out this article about the place that makes it.

Reminded me a little of the "decommissioning used fireworks in a cave" video.

Peak Murica! Paying your workers poo poo to work in unsafe conditions to make products authoritarians use to repress people.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

He's more of a truck buckler

This is not getting the love it deserves.

:five:

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Sydin posted:

405-297-HELP

Area code 405: Tulsa, Oklahoma and environs. Checks out.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Were they trying to jump over the wall to get away from the fire, like it was a rabid dog that the wall would contain?

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

netwerk23 posted:

It looks like they are jumping over a wall, into a pool. Look at the frames just as he goes over and it looks like a splash.

I see your point. It looked to me like the flames flared up some, but I could also see that being a splash.

Maybe they could have poured some of the copious amounts of booze on that table onto the flames to put them out?

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Bacon Taco posted:

Maybe they could have poured some of the copious amounts of booze on that table onto the flames to put them out?

Didn't mean to derail the thread - this was intended as comedy, referring to the not-so-good drunken decision making skills of the hapless buffoons who set themselves on fire. Clearly liquor burns!

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

There was some actor who wanted to be different to get parts, so he cut his own arm off, built his own prothesis, and then pretended to be a disabled veteran.

That's a really dark "Tootsie"

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Rahul posted:

I dunno if it quite counts as OSHA, but it made me do a double-take when I came across this today. You know, I always thought it was a myth, but maybe water really does flow backwards here down under.

Maybe there's an expandable bladder in there that gets filled and emptied, and its top surface is anchored to the top of the tank structure. I'm just grasping at straws here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Phanatic posted:

All that because someone didn't back with his lift.

Yeah, even the rudimentary training I got in forklift driving when I was 18 that one summer I worked at the paper mill emphasized that you _always_ back up the forklift. If you didn't, you'd get disciplined. They didn't train us a lot, but they did train us, and there were consequences for doing unsafe stuff.