Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Laopooh posted:

For some reason my brain read that as fix-ants and I immediately stopped reading the post to daydream about how cool it is that scientists have engineered ants to clean up radiation, like that oil spill eating bacteria. Like you'd sprinkle some sugar on the contaminated area and your cute little fix-ants would would don their hardhats and go clean it all up for you.

Then I resumed reading and was disappointed :downs:

It sounds like they had basically figured it out. Lay down a bunch of fixant, and let the wasps disperse the radiation so it's not dangerous in any one place. But no, they had to clean that up and do it the boring way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It's worth noting that older planes were a lot more robust in a lot of ways (speed and power were far lower, lots of items had to be overengineered due to a lack of computer testing), and could still fly after the kind of damage that would turn a modern aluminium jet into a fireball.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

A non-goon friend of mine just pointed out that that ladder can actually be folded out to be a long single ladder that reaches fine to that height.

Would you really lean a ladder against framing put up by these guys?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

John Denver Hoxha posted:

this makes sense though, they're really paying to have EMTs on hand; if the emergency was so severe that life or death hung on them getting to the hospital immediately they can take them but otherwise the medics can stabilize whatever issue is occurring on site and then transfer to another ambulance to go to the hospital if that is needed. Otherwise, when they left to go to the hospital the entire time they were on that trip the event would have to halt because they would be without a medic team. So really, I guess you'd want at least 2 ambulances on site or like an ambulance and an EMT suv

Couldn't they send the first ambulance to the hospital, leave some of the EMTs around in case something comes up right then and there, and then dispatch a replacement ambulance?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

an AOL chatroom posted:

Near where I grew up, there was a laundromat that instead of properly treating and/or disposing of the chemicals they used, just dumped everything into the ground, causing "an astonishing toxic legacy". That was in 1990, and they're still dealing with it.

EPA: ‘Astonishing Toxic Legacy’ At Former Wall Dry Cleaners Site

Why doesn't the article name the former owners of the White Swan Cleaners and discuss how the EPA is suing them into the ground?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Seems reasonable enough. If they're only putting themselves in danger, shouldn't warning signs directed to the general public just be considered suggestions for the purposes of liability or expectation of being rescued?

code:
Boiling Water Selfie Area ------->
DO NOT ENTER

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 9, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Mosquitoes can gently caress right off

Mosquitoes are one of the few species we could wipe out and probably see a net benefit.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Probably not, after all the things that eat mosquitoes, mosquito eggs and mosquito larvae die out as a result, then all the things that eat them, then all the things that eat them etc.

Not quite that simple

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100721/full/466432a.html

quote:

Yet in many cases, scientists acknowledge that the ecological scar left by a missing mosquito would heal quickly as the niche was filled by other organisms. Life would continue as before — or even better. When it comes to the major disease vectors, "it's difficult to see what the downside would be to removal, except for collateral damage", says insect ecologist Steven Juliano, of Illinois State University in Normal. A world without mosquitoes would be "more secure for us", says medical entomologist Carlos Brisola Marcondes from the Federal University of Santa Catarina in Brazil. "The elimination of Anopheles would be very significant for mankind."

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 22, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Decrepus posted:

Also kill all spiders and increase the bat, bird, and frog populations please.

Deaths from mosquitoes are something like 5 orders of magnitude greater than spiders.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This one is so blatant so it's hard to argue against public whistleblowing, but most cases are probably more questionable. When some dude posts an "expose" about something that turns out to be legitimate or previously cleared with authorities and it becomes viral, he not only risks getting fired but also being sued into bankruptcy for libel.

There's just no upside except the fame.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/CITeam_ru/status/751870042174812160

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sponge Baathist posted:

It looks like it has 8 points of connection I see no issue with this. The only failure is on the platform and if that falls off the platform will improve.

It looks like one of those corner cables snapping would drop the corner of the platform directly onto a bunch of peoples' heads.

And a catastrophic failure, yeah...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

A court document says Walp was driving the load from Reynolds, Nebraska, to Hanover, Kansas, on Aug. 8 when he exchanged texts with his boss. The document says that soon after Walp read that he'd been dismissed, he stopped the truck on Nebraska Highway 8 near Odell, got out and opened the grain trailer's bottom hatch doors.

The document says Walp then drove down the highway, spilling out nearly 1,000 bushels of corn — nearly $3,100 worth.

gently caress 'em. Although he probably should have left the keys in the ignition and called a taxi instead.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Can anyone explain these signs?

I see them up in places for months at a time for what looks like very minor guardrail damage. You're already sending people out there to put up a sign, maybe just fix the guardrail?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fasdar posted:

It is funny that none of you have commented on the toilet paper over a heat source. One playful cat and it's all over.

As if there weren't already enough reasons not to keep animals in a human dwelling.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

quote:

Life was never the same again. Not for the parents who buried three girls with big smiles and bright futures.

Somehow I can't really imagine these people were destined for great things.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

quote:

Injuries not compatible with life. These include but are not necessarily limited to decapitation or other catastrophic brain trauma, incineration, severed body, and injuries that do not permit effective administration of CPR. If a patient has sustained such injuries, it should be intuitively obvious that the patient is non-viable.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Clearly the answer is not making boats out of poo poo that's heavier than water.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nobody's denying you can focus the sun to make fire, the specific of the myth was that people holding mirrors can provide the level of focus required.

Not having read the books on the Siege of Syracuse, is the story specifically about handheld mirrors/shields? Because it's trivially provable that you can set fires with convex fixed mirrors.

e: Even if they are handheld, how difficult is it to just set them on the ground? Having people literally holding the mirrors is such a nonsense point to focus on.

e2: And even if the best historical evidence is probably that it didn't happen for any number of reasons, calling it impossible by introducing unnecessary restrictions like flat (instead of parabolic) mirrors and not steadying the mirrors on the ground is basically massaging the test to reach a desired conclusion.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 12, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It's fairly common for even minor dental work, it's more about helping people with anxiety than pain.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lemon posted:

Doesn't anaesthetic in general have that variable effect? I remember the only time I had general when I woke up I had a bit of a freakout. My old boss had a general and apparently when he woke up he started getting violent so they just knocked his rear end out again.

Also the line between "knocked out" and "dead" is a lot thinner than most people realize. Remember the time Russian special forces killed over a hundred people in a hostage crisis with knockout gas?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Bad drivers like to blame everyone but them selves. Drive for the conditions. If you can't see over the crest of a hill, assume there's a truck blocking the entire road or a tree fell down or what ever. Never go faster than you can see, never drive faster than you can safely stop without hitting what ever's in front of you. It's super easy, but people never do it and we get multiple-car pile ups.

The only reason you should ever be able to rear-end a car is if they back into you.

People are always going to make poor decisions, that's basically the premise of this thread. The point of regulations is to put controls in place so that those poor decisions don't lead to people driving into ditches or losing limbs or setting people on fire.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Basically, yes. And also because the engineers who develop roadway standards do math that tells them how fast roads should be.

Except all those times that municipalities ignore the engineering suggestions and set speed limits arbitrarily. A lot of larger cities will have some mechanism where you can request a traffic study to get a speed limit adjusted, but good luck with that in rural areas that get a substantive portion of their revenue from ticketing drivers passing by.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Elysiume posted:

Back when I was ten and used rollerblades I always felt nervous leaning back to brake, so I'd just run into a wall to stop. Worked for me, should work for them.

Well, yeah, that's because the brake is a dumb way to stop on rollerblades that shouldn't really be there any more than training wheels on a bike - facilitates bad habits. Drag a foot behind you perpendicularly or if the surface is smooth enough, just stop the normal way you do on ice skates.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ruddiger posted:

What exactly did the cop think was going to happen riding right up on the dude like that? He's already breaking a poo poo load of laws, riding right up to him and trying to grab him was loving stupid as hell on that bike cops part.

He should have just shot him.

:patriot:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Remember: always lift with your back. Otherwise your back muscles will atrophy!

It helps to use a jerking, twisting motion.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're still suuuuuper popular in Australia. We even have ute festivals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ute_muster

Goddmanit, is that a Confederate flag? Is that how Australians announce they're racists too?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Powershift posted:

This wouldn't have happened if he was wearing a high vis vest.

Actually it might not have since they would have had to take him back to wardrobe, and in the meantime someone might have thought to say, "is that a real goddamned gun you morons?".

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

spog posted:

I genuinely am curious as to what 'harmless' material we currently use is going to be found out to be deadly in the future.

In the way that we go 'holy poo poo, they used asbestos in schools!!', in 40 years, will they be saying 'I can't believe that they used paper every day!' or 'can you believe they ate chicken, what morons!' ?

It won't be a huge surprise, we already know what's killing us in large numbers/going to be killing us in large numbers soon.

-Sugar
-Carbon dioxide

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Wasn't there also a concern about Chinese medium range (non-nuclear) ballistic missiles that had the accuracy to hit a carrier? Those would be coming in with enough speed that intercepting with Aegis cruisers and CIWS systems is hit or miss, so a handful of those would have a good chance to destroy a carrier.

Of course that wouldn't happen due to the consequences, but they are hardly invincible.

And a nuclear attack would just wipe out a carrier group, there's no defense for that except the extermination of whoever started it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Sooooooo. Having tons of sea water sloshing around inside your boat. I would have thought that was bad?

Water can get on a boat, it's only a problem if it doesn't have a way off the boat.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

haveblue posted:

Those things were built to loving last. I remember way back in this thread or a previous one someone posted pictures of a collision between a duck and a normal bus. The duck had a few scrapes and dents and the bus was completely smashed in.

The relative poor quality of materials modeling back in the day meant that most things were significantly overengineered.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

At least he'll have a soft landing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vanagoon posted:

This is one of those situations where they hand you one of those to use, and you say "No, I will not"

If the response is "You're fired if you don't" You just say Ok, Where do I sign without a hint of regret.

If you get called a pussy you say "so I'm a pussy, a pussy with intact face and fingers!"

gently caress that thing and gently caress whoever thought it was even a remotely good idea.

Must be nice to have an alternate income stream lined up that you can make due without getting paid until you find something safer. Too bad that's not the case for the vast majority of people who would have to choose between their fingers and their childrens' meals in that scenario.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What is it with American workers being so afraid to steal and break poo poo?

Fewer employment protections so you can get fired just for suspicion of having done something, a more limited safety net so aforementioned firing can block you from the meager unemployment insurance an hourly food prep job provides, and a general lack of savings for most people making absorbing a loss of income more difficult.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Imagined posted:

Kennel posted:

Have escalators actually killed anyone in Western countries? (in the last 25 years or so)

It's seems like it's always China when these things happen.
Not often except for elevator technicians.

Is it like a competitive thing? I would expect escalator technicians to be at more risk.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MausoleumExtremist posted:

It will most likely get delayed for decades by transportation lobbyists/UAW/Teamsters etc. Additionally, for the same reason we don't have self-flying commercial jets it'll at most result in having a driver in the seat as a backup.

We have the technology to take off, navigate, and land planes autonomously, but people want some dude in the front seat calmly announcing the current time in Duluth after pressing the LAND button. The same mindset will keep commercial drivers in the seats, especially with the help of the lobbyists.

It takes probably costs on the order of magnitude of what, a couple thousand dollars or so per flight to have a pilot's and copilot's asses in those seats? That seems reasonable as a back-up in case the automated systems fail, plus they handle other miscellaneous responsibilities that would still have to be handled by other employees which is at least a partial offset to the cost.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 23, 2017

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MrYenko posted:

A network vulnerability that allows malicious control of the vehicle is just as dangerous to a nine year old car as it is to a brand new one parked on the showroom floor.

Is there a reason control software can't just be on a separate system than entertainment and other features that could benefit from the connectivity but aren't critical? If the control systems need to be patched, that can be done via physical media at dealerships - not that this can't be hijacked, but it adds a significant barrier and even a vulnerability created this way couldn't be remotely accessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006