Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

scalia faked his death because he was a false conservative all along and wanted to give Obama the justice he needed to appoint himself communist emperor and also somethingsomething Jade Helm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

The Texas senator Ted Cruz, a leading contender for the Republican presidential nomination who clerked in the supreme court while Scalia was on the bench, said on Twitter: “Justice Scalia was an American hero. We owe it to him, & the nation, for the Senate to ensure that the next President names his replacement.”

yes the senate must block a constitutional process for 1/4th of a presidential term

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i hope he is buried in such a way that people can get gay married on his grave.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

longest its ever taken to confirm a Supreme nominee is 125 days. Obummer has 361 days left in office.

im sure they will try to stonewall him in the senate (if just to drum up their lovely conservative base), but it wont work

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

good username/post

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BillmasterCozb posted:

you belong in a mental institution

ya agreed, he didn't even suggest someone piss on the corpse first smh

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

he died in the same place he lived:

a whitewashed, romanticized, factually incorrect version of american history

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Do It Once Right posted:

John E. Jones III.

Appointed by George W. Bush unanimously, with absolutely no dissent from either party. He's going to be our next SCOTUS judge.

Some quote I read on SCOTUSblog which yes, is a thing:

quote:

Three potential nominees are easy to identify from among current appellate judges: from the D.C. Circuit, Patricia Millett and Sri Srinivasan; and from the Ninth Circuit, Paul Watford.

Apparently Srinivasan would be the first asian judge, and he was confirmed 97-0 by the Senate in 2013 so the blustery gymnastics the republicans would pull out to block him would be pretty delightful.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

phantom_dilz posted:

Can someone provide a summary or list about why it is good this guy is dead? I don't understand he was just a judge???

He had such wonderful opinions as "laws against gay sex are constitutional because they impact gays and straights equally, gays can choose to just not have sex!", "homosexuality is in the same category as murder, i dont have to justify my hate of it", "racism and voting discrimination in the south is over", "states rights are more important than constitutional personal rights", "judges should not have human empathy, except for religion and my conservative values", "mexicans are invading the US", "the constitution allows gender discrimination", "you have the right to bear arms, including rocket launchers, but not man a cannon. for some reason", and "judges should represent the public opinion and demographics, except when i think they shouldnt."

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

let us please treat big tony scalia with the respect he showed others

quote:

Scalia opened his talk with a reference to the Holocaust, which happened to occur in a society that was, at the time, “the most advanced country in the world.” One of the many mistakes that Germany made in the 1930s was that judges began to interpret the law in ways that reflected “the spirit of the age.” When judges accept this sort of moral authority, as Scalia claims they’re doing now in the U.S., they get themselves and society into trouble.

judicial activism caused the holocaust, you see

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BigBoss posted:

Lol you literally have no idea how dumb you are. Scalia, as usual, was 100% correct. Volksgerichtshof was basically a kangaroo court.

right, which is why using it as an example of judicial activism as a concept is laughable because the court was an unabashed political tool from the start.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the unfunny concern trolls are sad over the loss of one of their own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Volume posted:

Is there any openly Muslim that Obama can appoint

the leading candidate is Hindu. im sure a lot of this dumbshit country will think thats the same thing.

• Locked thread