Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ah, hazing the new guy by making him fight a murderous VR of the strongest guy in SOLDIER. Classic ShinRa.

Why not just take the time to mention that the Wutai troops are in disguise so that Zack doesn't have to ask you later?

Also, the developers were too lazy to design models for the Wutai troops, weren't they? :v:

Looking forward to seeing more of this game. All I ever saw was the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zack seems like a pretty fun guy. I can see why people like him so much.

Nashun posted:

By the way, what is your dream? “To become 1st”...is it?

No.

Ah, good! Unattainable dreams are the best kind.

:drat:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

In case you're wondering, the music during the Banora apple speech is 'Theme of CRISIS CORE "Dreams and Pride"' on the OST.

Yeah, he's right. I found the link to it, too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So Angeal is the PR member of SOLDIER? Makes sense.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Godo will be a boss.

That dialogue got pretty deep for a beginning of the game conversation with a red shirt.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of which, we have

AC: Advent Children
BC: Before Crisis
CC: Crisis Core
DC: Dirge of Cerberus

So, is there going to be an EC game? End of Crisis, maybe?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yuffie continues her tradition of being the best character.

And of course our old pal Sephiroth can't stand people who set fires irresponsibly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nashun posted:

The IDEA behind trying to duplicate your super soldier isn't entirely crazy. Especially in a situation like Sephiroth where he is(By the standards of FF7 on its own) an order of magnitude above everyone else. Mechanically only the party catches up to him in power, and more canonically Cloud is literally the only person to match him in power. But a Sephiroth takes 20 years+ to make and god knows how many failures on the road there or if they just get hit by a bus at age 15 or something and die.

This is someone's actual backstory in the VII universe, isn't it? :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, fangirls. Just what this game was missing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You misspelled Sephiroth a few times around the fangirl section.

Also

Nashun posted:

Sephioroth Fan: Zack? Never heard of you. You must be SOLDIER second-rate.

That's a pretty sick burn, but wouldn't that basically be like poo poo talking an infantryman outside of a military base?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

I don't know how to feel about the fan clubs. Something about them feels way too... manufactured. Like they were started by Shinra PR rather than by actual people.

This is all just an elaborate attempt by Lazard to throw shade at Zack again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So Genesis is Agent Smith or something? Sure, why not?

Everyone is getting a zinger in on Zack, huh? Can't wait for Sephiroth to show up again and inevitably give him the business.

And now I feel like a jerk for trying to sell the Buster Sword in VII. :smith: At least it gets a good use in AC.

Nashun posted:

Zack gives #1 the mighty boot despite me not having that command materia equipped.

That probably did 300 damage. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 2, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is this supposed to be a flattering homage? Because, I mean, taking a guy you like and then having him call himself a monster, kill his parents, and angst while reading a play that was mocked in the original game for being boring certainly doesn't seem like a laundry list of endearing traits.

Also, Bahamut already? What happened to Ramuh and Shiva, you scrub? :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nashun posted:

Dirge came out a year before Crisis Core

That's odd in light of the secret reports. Don't they mention Genesis cells?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

And Angeal over there... I still do not get his situation. Somehow being like one of the top three dudes in the entire Shinra organization is still not enough for Disapproving Asian Mom?

Maybe she wants him to be #1 instead of #3, like all of those "stereotypical disapproving Asian parents"™ in the movies? :shrug:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think I've found the full game script for CC on DeviantArt, Nashun. Can you enable your PMs so I can message it to you?

Edit: Actually, never mind. It looks like it only goes up to the end of Chapter 4.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 7, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wonderful, it's Hojo. What nonsense is he going to get up to in this game? Kicking a puppy?

Oh wait.

Nashun posted:

Are you pushing another assignment on me?

Whatever.

The amount of contempt he manages to fit into his words here is great.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nashun posted:

Also Shinra knows that if Sephiroth covered up his chests the fangirls would lead a popular uprising against them.

So THAT'S why they're stationed in Midgar.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Silegna posted:

Final Fantasy 10 is the same planet. Gaia.

I think they said the Al Bhed space traveled to Gaia or some nonsense. Which, I'm pretty sure, makes no sense given that Jenova was some weird space traveler thing that destroyed worlds and the fact that space travel was beyond the characters in VII until Cid launched that rocket.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, the Turks. I wonder what happened to Cissnei/Shuriken after this game.

Also, you made a typo early on. "That's why I'm coming to."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Clarste posted:

Elena made it impossible for the party to take them seriously and it snowballed from there.

Literally.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have indeed seen that FMV before, but I did not remember Genesis literally using Hellzone Grenade on Sephiroth or blasting his BFF in the face with magic.

Genesis is really coming across as a petty, entitled rear end in a top hat and I'm finding it harder to believe that this was meant to be a tribute to a guy that Nomura liked.

Also, they used the One Winged Angel remix for this? He's not even evil yet! :psyduck:

I can't recall, but I'm assuming Sector 8 is the one that's partially broken in VII, right? Good work, Angeal.

I do like Zack's "Get the gently caress out of here. :geno:" response to Angeal's world domination comment, though. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

berryjon posted:

Another nice bit about the three-way fight which just emphasizes Sephiroph's character. Angeal blocks Genesis with the SOLDIER sword, and it breaks. He turns his back to Sephiroth and uses the Buster Sword to block Masamune (actually, it looks like the hilt of the Buster Sword) - and Sephiroth stops his sword dead in its tracks.

Sephiroth stopped his swing mid-fight because Angeal got in the way. He may cheerfully beat Genesis' face in, but he's isn't going to touch Angeal for trying to put a stop to something that has - from an outside perspective - gone out of control.

It could go further than that: Sephiroth likely knows the importance of that sword to Angeal and doesn't want to damage it.

Though, it does speak on his relationship with Genesis, too, given that Genesis wasn't afraid to blast him in the face or through his SOLDIER sword. He didn't trust Genesis enough not to damage the Buster Sword, I guess?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

thetruegentleman posted:

And All because people thought that injecting people with monster cells was a good idea.

To be fair, it worked out pretty well with Cloud. Aside from the whole Black Materia thing, of course.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

So far the scenes with Sephiroth and Genesis are great because it's Sephiroth getting irritated putting up with basically what he becomes in the rest of the EU. :allears:

This is startlingly true.

That kinda sucks. I get the impression that Sephiroth here is the kind of guy who holds back because he doesn't enjoy excessive force, especially not against his friends. And villain Sephiroth is a guy who COULD beat everyone easily, but decides not to because... it'd be a bad ending otherwise?

Seriously, how many times does Cloud have to kick his rear end before he takes him seriously?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

berenzen posted:

Twice? Bizzaro and Stranger Sephiroth are the only two times he ever beat the real Sephiroth.

Even counting Bizarro and Safer as one instance, Cloud's beaten Sephiroth twice in VII.

And doesn't Advent Children count? It's not Sephiroth's original body, but it seems to be the real him fighting Cloud.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I sincerely hope that that whole plot point about the Buster sword's backstory was done intentionally as some kind of joke about how Cloud abused it and then just shoved it in the dirt outside of Midgar to rust away as a gravemarker for Zack.

If it's any consolation, he later polished it and moved it to Aerith's church.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not sure you'll have a wallet full of money selling flowers at 1 gil.

Silegna posted:

So uh, Sephiroth is like Vanitas then?

Basically. Only he shows up in BBS to kidnap Zack, so... :shrug:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Your Sephiroth DMW video is set to private.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have to say that this game is reminding me heavily of 358/2 Days, in which there is some huge convoluted story involving some person who previously was never mentioned which seems to take up most of the story while the inevitable falling out between the protagonist and the evil faction is put off and bumped towards the end of the game unceremoniously.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What I got from this chapter is that there's a section of Loveless that talks about dreams and honor, and I imagine that's why Angeal is always talking about it.

Go figure that Hojo is the one dishing out all of the sick burns this chapter.

Also, that has to be the weakest murder attempt ever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure you have to skirt the low of ethics to even be employed by ShinRa.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It seems like being in SOLDIER is 10% actual missions, 90% being hazed by literally everyone else in the company world.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nashun posted:

This one raises a lot of questions. Has he always had the ability to destroy the sun? Does he use it often? Did he have a much more tame version of it when he was still mostly human? :iiam:

I'm going to say yes to all of the above, just because it seems like it'd be funnier in-universe that way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Genesis, I think you might be using too much bleach, buddy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Cloud's Fusion Swords will be a weapon in the remake.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, there was the cutscene of Angeal sending Zack flying, I suppose. Then again, he kinda sucker punched him then.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Can't say I expected that fight this early. Or for Angeal to turn into Ultima Weapon from FF8.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 25, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not going to lie, that Grenade Launcher Gunblade is pretty :black101: in the best way.

Rather fitting that Genesis' Limit Break involves him booting Sephiroth off of the DMW and making things about himself.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And Orange the Transparent.

• Locked thread