Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

Which if we're talking endurance flights, is nothing compared to the current record holder....64 days in a Cessna 172. That airframe is actually hanging up in the baggage claim of McCarran, look it up the next time you're flying into Vegas.

quote:

On January 12, 1959, after refueling chores, Timm removed his clothes and stepped out onto the platform for a refreshing sponge bath. He started by brushing his teeth. Just then Cook realized that the airplane wasn’t going to clear an upcoming ridge if the platform wasn’t pulled in. Cook yelled at Timm to pull in the platform and later told of seeing his partner struggling to complete that task—buck naked, and weighing 240 pounds, with a toothbrush sticking out of one side of his mouth and toothpaste streaming out of the other. They cleared the ridge but learned to delay hygienic activities until they were over flatter terrain.

Laughing so hard at the mental picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

How the gently caress. :stare:
Big fuckoff v-hull and blast seating. Gonna have a hell of a sore fukken neck tho.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

For force protection it's totally worth it tho. The peeps living near silos were as good as dead regardless.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I don't get the complacency posts.
Usually it's a good idea to not bunch up when HE threats are present.

Once you've eaten a first hit it's also a good idea to relocate, and stay not-bunched-up.

aphid_licker posted:

It seems weird to use a TOW to snipe two guys and then when a huge group rolls up with a vehicle to drag them away you just watch and provide commentary.
Saoudis were late for resupply!

But yeah sniping dismounts with a shaped charge missile is dumb as hell. Do they not own mortars?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 20, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus gently caress PGMs are the devil

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LostCosmonaut posted:

Not sure of the translation, but think the Saudis lost a boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSW8N-LCsSM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSV-2_Swift That's the hull.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahahahsha this is like cops-acting-tough.jpg
PPE all over place, no kevlar, tough guy sunglasses indoors, the more you look at it the better it gets.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gibson has a novel where the hero dies to a drone just like that (hunter with lightweight explosives and no frag sleeve to limit collateral damage).

The EM battle to prevent those suckers from operating's gonna be interesting.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reverand maynard posted:

what are the odds that the military makes sig put an external safety on the M17
That wasn't part of the limitations put forward

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Get an AN-2-100 turboprop conversion instead. Must feel like flying a bush plane on roids

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

A loving shuttlecock :stonklol:
If it's stupid but it works...

I gotta say, that's a very neat looking system. It also looks surprisingly undamaged for something that supposedly took ground fire.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

The fuzes still have their rings in place, so they aren't even armed, makes me think it wasn't up in the air in the first place.

We did a detailed piece on these recently, seems a lot of the bombs are based on 40mm grenades
https://www.bellingcat.com/uncategorized/2017/02/10/death-drone-bombs-caliphate/
Yeah my guess would be that the controllers got overrun. Do you know how they manage the 40mm fuses? I thought they needed to detect an initial impact then a bunch of rotations to even arm.

Anta posted:

Assembly process:

- Hit it with a sledgehammer to simulate launch
- Put it on a drill and spin it the gently caress up
- Now carefully attach the tail assembly and shuttlecock
scaroused.jpg

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hot Karl Marx posted:

re: drone talk

https://twitter.com/AbraxasSpa/status/837348126545571840

:getin:

looks like an octo-copter rather than quad though
That's 14 motors.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

These are all awesome

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Burt posted:

Is that actually a thing that there aren't many black guys in these unit? If so is it a deliberate thing?
What does your heart tell you?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Imagine being on a foot patrol and hearing a quad copter coming right at you.
Unless the copter has a sensor advantage it's really not that scary. It's when you can't see/engage the thing that it gets hairy.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

This is such a perfect metaphor for the wars in the middle east.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

War never changes, but you'd think that after sixteen years certain folks would have realized that we can still see them in the dark. I think this should have been covered in Mujahideen 101. Funny? Sad? Both.
A yet there's still plenty of certain folks to go around. Funny? Sad? Both?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

well then clearly the terrierorists need to stand on the other side of the stick.
OPSEC wizard gonna have a field day with you

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

On the subject of this thread, anyone watching The Vietnam War on PBS? It's pretty brutal.
Should be required viewing for literally everyone in the armed forces.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Seriously, people like Thompson are who every armed services member should emulate.
Dude was a baller to the loving core too, kept flying obs and had 4 loving helis shot from under him.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nerses IV posted:

You should link it, I'd like to give it a read
It's not everyone else's job to correct your lovely loving opinions.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

While you can't mount an actual imax rig on a drone (you need a manned fixed/rotary), you can get a red helium 8k in a drone gimbal, and it'll probably compare quite favorably.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mad Dragon posted:

Only 30 grand? That's a lot cheaper than I was expecting.
I think it's 50 for the body, but that's like buying a DSLR body. If you want to do AP you still need the gimbal, body gimbal kit, control electronics, downlink, and of course an alta 8 size drone to carry all that poo poo. All in prob ~150k.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fallom posted:

I miss Bad Company 2
BF4 missile snipes are so satisfying.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

P sure the second charge is for tracing, not propellant.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

As one is when tanks are shooting at you I guess

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You don’t and they did and then got promptly ignored when they went home.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do Vietnam era bomber crews sleep at night? I get doing your job to an extent, but bombing civilian infrastructure, irrigation canals, villages, etc to the tune of likely millions of innocent deaths seems to be well into the "just following orders" camp. Did any refuse to attack civilian targets?
why do you hate america?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You gonna tell that to his face? He's got TWO dogdamn grenades!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Burt posted:

However they have the best food critic in Grace Dent. Every dish served with a bowl of acid, she's amazing.
Also Marina Hyde and Carole Cadwalladr are loving savages and I love them

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fish and Chimps posted:

One of the tiny Danish subs sank just after being refurbished for service in the fleet (they were old West German/Norwegian hand-me-downs) in 1990. It took 3 years to make it ready to sail again, but it happened.
Now imagine doing this with a hull filled with integrated fire control systems.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hexyflexy posted:

How are you getting that much computational power onto something that weighs 100 grams and doesn't bomb a bright spot reflected off the soldier that launched it half the time.
How much processing power is in a modern phone? How much do you think that weighs without a case/screen/battery?

aphid_licker posted:

How/why does that work?
computers are very, very good at pattern recognition, and also computer vision is a thing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

soy posted:

MIT and whatever robot dorks in highschools already have the whole self navigation thing pretty much perfected at that scale.
Any aircraft above the 100g scale can already carry a flight controller that's totally user-programmable for mission planning. It'd be absolutely trivial for anyone with a CS degree to add computer vision so they can tell it "go loiter over there and fly into the first thing you see that looks like a live human".

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Speleothing posted:

The only real question is does the tiny assassin drone destroy itself or just deliver a payload and get reused.
It doesn't matter when they're ~$100 to make

mlmp08 posted:

Human-hunting murder machines developed in the US will be the first face/skin recognition tech geek invention where they make sure it can properly “work” for people of color.
yeah one million percent

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

literally a hobby quad with an RPG strapped to it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah isis was basically dropping fin-stab 40mm grenades from photography drones.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Those things can’t dive.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Flying_Crab posted:

On second glance of actually clicking the image it looks like he took a phone picture from a briefing and blacked out some classification markings. I hope that’s from a drone or commercial imagery. :stare:
a commercial drone shooting this kind of quality would have long been dead and burning. There's an awful lot of people counting pixels right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

^That's kind of a new thing, and probably not what he's talking about.
Your last pres had no issues schwacking US citizens either so yaknow