Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Good morning BYOBabes! I'm on the bullet train to Fukuoka for a bit of a vacation! Typhoon looking like a non issue, I managed to actually wake up somewhat early, and was able to dodge all of the foreign tourists hauling massive suitcases around, mouths agape, and standing directly in the middle of foot traffic.

Seriously. Who needs one of those goddamn massive suitcases per person? Sometimes two. I mean if you're moving sure but... sorry. It just bugs the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

hamjobs posted:

Wasn't that filmed in your neck of the woods? Also yay I'll tell RoE.

I'm thinking we can do Gaslight or maybe Rear Window; I'm feeling the deeply unsettling films rn.

Have you seen the Korean film Take of Two Sisters?

Escape From Noise

Goons Are Great posted:

I, uh, I have cookies right now

Did you bring enough for the whole class?:crossarms:

Escape From Noise

hamjobs posted:

TOP THREE FAVORITE FILM. i really really really want to show that (i showed it this time last year) again and if i can find it i will. i have the dvd somewhere in my tartan collection. big big fan (what's up busan).

Nice.

I used to watch a lot of shock films like Ichi the Killer and Audition. I think I still have Ichi the Killer on DVD.

Escape From Noise

I have arrived in Fukuoka. I saw a vocalid on a large screen encouraging me to drink saké. Too early for that though. I snapped a pic but the upload isn't working.

Escape From Noise

I keep forgetting how bad Google maps can be for navigation in Japan. I've lived here long enough to know this!

Escape From Noise

Yeah so uh... just like, you know, cross this street where there's no light or crosswalk. Also there's a literal barrier running down the middle. NBD!

Escape From Noise

Jaded Burnout posted:

oh no it a vampire

Somebody grab the steaks!

Just like...on your way home. I don't want it to be a hassle for anyone.

Escape From Noise

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'll meat you for dinner.

YOU ARE THE MEAT AND THE DINNER

OMG!

Escape From Noise

Goons Are Great posted:

Alright kids, we had this before but I see we have to talk about it again
*takes off sunglasses*
Drugs!

They're good, right??

:actually: they are v. bad & make your mother cry. HTH

Escape From Noise

Realtalk: If you ever visit Japan Fukuoka is really good. I've already been before but it just has a cool chill vibe. People are cool. It's a small city but I just love it.

Escape From Noise

That one kid with brow hair is getting RIPPED

Escape From Noise

hamjobs posted:

This thread is now spooky because it's Bela Lugosi's thread

Just like that song!

Escape From Noise

I maybe drank too much around Fukuoka but I also met a lot of cool people. drat. I love this city.

Escape From Noise

MockingQuantum posted:

this isn't really related but I'm learning japanese and I'd say I'm probably like 0.000003% fluent so far

Ganbatte, friend! Talking to Japanese people is what helped me. It can be really embarrassing at first, and that feeling can remain, but it helped me a ton. Of course you need to meet some folks first but in my experience they are friendly.

Escape From Noise

Resting Lich Face posted:

Hey BYOB duders/dudetters/whateverelsers. I am buying some random nerd a pizza. Go post in my random pizza thread in GBS, I'd love to buy a random BYOB a pizza.

If you order me one now it may get here by tomorrow.

Escape From Noise

I am using the bullet train's WiFi. Time 2 go hawg wilde!
:butt::yosbutt::butt::yosbutt::eyepoop::gizz::ccb::shlick::circlefap::fap::hawaaaafap::newfap::flashfap::trumpfap:

Escape From Noise

Goons Are Great posted:

Hello good morning, welcome & chat byobs, what's the latest? What are you big plans for today?

I just got back from my 2 day trip to Fukuoka. Pretty vicious hangover. I'd visited the city before so I didn't feel much pressure to do the touristy stuff. I also wanted to see what the craft beer scene was like since I last visited probably 6 years ago or so. It's still small but it's taking off! There's a little brew pub I visited. The head brewer is from the US so I chatted with him a bit but he was milling in so I kept it pretty brief. A large amount of people knew who I was within the beer community so that was kind of funny. I got to meet with and talk to a ton of cool people and have some of that famous ramen! Met a dude who moved to Tucson,Arizona with his family for a year when he was 10. He said it was a major culture shock. People there are real friendly in my experience so it was neat.

I was only staying 1 night because I thought my friend from Sapporo was coming in tonight but I got the month wrong because I'm a goof. I thought about staying one more night but opted to head back to have a day to just relax and do some cooking and cleaning maybe. Overall it was an A+ trip. Seriously if any of you ever visit Japan and have the time I highly recommend Fukuoka. While I do have a dislike of Tokyo which colors my perception, I think it's a good idea to see it. I also think it's good idea to visit some other places. There's a lot to offer!

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Escape From Noise

Escape From Noise

G'nacht

Escape From Noise

pixaal posted:

A burrito is just a large soft taco :colbert:

Mods?

Escape From Noise

Somehow in the last 5 years or so Mexican food has become much more available in Japan. There's even like a really decent place run by a Japanese dude within walking distance of my apartment. They even have freakin' flour tortillas and salsa in the grocery store now. And not the import store. Kind of the Kroger of Japan or whatever. It's Old El Paso but I mean it could be worse (Pace). It's just kind of weird how quickly that changed. Still can't really get corn tortillas though.

Escape From Noise

Heather Papps posted:

burritos are american food they were invented in san fran fite me

Invented by Mexicans in San Fran.

Escape From Noise

Heather Papps posted:

yes but it is american food with americanized ingrediants and designed to appeal to the american palette

like is taco bell actually mexican food or is it american mexican food?

Eh. According to this article burritos are Mexican.
https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=lY-tY62V1FIC&pg=PA178&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Even if they were made in America I'm pretty sure they were made for other Mexican immigrants. Unlike eggrolls.

Escape From Noise

pixaal posted:

A traditional burrito is actually really thin unlike the bloated monstrosities that are like 1.5 meals you get in the US. Traditionally you would eat 2 maybe 3. They were are just soft tacos that have been folded over so they aren't as messy. Of course US stuffs them so full that they are more messy than a regular taco but that's what makes them a really good value.

mmm pinto beans beef cheese and hot salsa. My mouth says yum but my butt says youch

Yeah but that's just the Americanization of a foreign cuisine like eggrolls. It's not like cashew chicken. I dunno. That's my take. I still like a good mission style burrito. As a New Mexican I don't really care for New Mexican burritos.

Escape From Noise

Twenty Four posted:

You live in Canada, I don't want to fight you but I would love for you to come down to the south west and have dinner with me where taco bell is not "Mexican food".

I want to try it! (not the store stuff, the guy down your street) I mean I don't expect it to be great I just love the concept of regional takes on foreign food, especially if it is horribly wrong. Something about that just makes me curious!

It's not like SPOT on but it's actually really decent and relatively inexpensive compared to the other places around town. He goes to Mexico periodically to keep studying the food and stuff. I haven't been in a while. He's actually right next door to a brewpub that I know the guys at because it's a small industry.

Escape From Noise

pixaal posted:

Help me BYOB I've been thinking about my dinner burrito so much I forgot what I made myself for lunch today. :ohdear: mystery lunch. I know it's a sandwich but what kind did I make while half asleep I can't remember. Guess I'll find out in an hour!

A classic sandwich gambit.

Is it a different shape than normal? Perhaps a hot dog sandwich? Maybe sushi sandwiches?

Escape From Noise

MockingQuantum posted:

heather papps if you really want to sound like you belong take this advice, don't call it San Fran, call it "Frisco"

:troll:

Came here to post this.

Their national dish is Rice-A-Roni

Wraps are sandwiches so therefore sushi rolls are sandwiches and nigiri sushi are open faced sandwiches.

Escape From Noise

Pretty sure the California roll was invented in ol' Frisco.

Escape From Noise

Twenty Four posted:

San Franarino, if you aren't into that whole brevity thing.

Uh no. Locals do NOT call is "Santa Fe" we go by it's REAL name: La Villa Real de la Santa Fe de San Francisco de Asís TYVM!

Escape From Noise

hamjobs posted:

Just wait until you hear my chili opinions.

Check this: Dal is chili.

Escape From Noise

So is mapo dofu.

Escape From Noise

Serious post: I'm remembering when sushi burritos were trending online and just lolling because seriously WTF.

Escape From Noise

ChubbyChecker posted:

all sushis are burritos

And all burritos are sandwiches. This has been covered.

Escape From Noise

ChubbyChecker posted:

all sushis are burritos

Also nigiri sushi isn't rolled.

Escape From Noise

On a related note I'm sticky.

Escape From Noise

alnilam posted:

[lonestar voice] Pizza the head!!

I'm a rebel dude!:clint:

Escape From Noise

If you're learning Japanese and are at the beginner/intermediate phase I found Japanese the Manga Way super helpful actually. It uses more real world examples and actually had really solid explantations of different grammar points. Also it's not super expensive.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/Japanese-Manga-Way-Illustrated-Structure/dp/1880656906

Escape From Noise

Hugh goin' huge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Tamales are also sandwiches.