Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Regarding beginner-chat, Necalli is a really simple but complete character, IMO. Easy combos, good damage, has anti-fireball stuff, has a real-rear end DP, a real-rear end command grab, a uniquely good overhead, forces you to learn at least a tiny bit about charge, and an extremely uncomplicated v-trigger. I would actually recommend him over Ryu because you can probably get a functioning offense up and going a lot faster with him than with Ryu who requires figuring out some nuanced poo poo to start finding real pressure and damage conversions.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Vanrushal posted:

I got this game for pc and I'm having some issues with performance/fps. The game usually runs at 60fps but frequently dips into the 50~59 range which slows it down. My specs are -

i3-4160 @ 3.60GHz
gtx 750ti
8GB ram

Playing with the graphics settings doesn't seem to give any appreciable decrease in frame drops, even with everything set to low. I've also tried fullscreen and windowed at 1280x720, both with max/low settings and it didn't seem to matter. Installed that nvidia driver that was posted in the old thread and no change. On the bright side I guess this means I might as well play with everything at max but the slowdown is still frustrating. I tried playing online with a friend and it felt smoother there but he said I was teleporting a bit and it was annoying to deal with and I'd rather not be "that guy" who makes the game lovely for everyone else I play against. Is there anything else I can do with what I have? Is this something that is likely to be patched somehow by Capcom or have a mod developed for?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/310950/discussions/0/405692224224082044/

Yes, this actually works.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I'm not good at this game yet but today I definitely got better at it. Feels good man.

Ryu protips:
-Ryu barely needs his ex moves, basically only use them if you're doing a combo and it's your only way into a knockdown. Save your meter for super.
-cr.lk cr.lp xx hp shoryu hit confirm is important, it's the best way to deal with people holding jump/straight back/mashing throw/mashing normals on their wake up. Also not a bad thing to go for after a cross-up j.mk. Please practice doing this into Ryu's super.
-st.mp is Ryu's best damage finding button when approaching someone, make sure you have hit confirms for both standing and crouching opponents, also please practice doing these into super. If you wanna be a baller, practice verifying counter hit st.mp into sweep!
-Walk forward cr.mk xx fireball is still good in this game and still has the tendency to give you a DP instead of a fireball due to the forward input from walking. If you do cr.mk xx half circle forward it tends to add just the right amount of delay to always give you a fireball instead. You should also be able to combo THIS into super.
-Ryu's shimmy button is st.mk and it's good, it's got good range obviously and V-Trigger cancelling it leaves him slightly closer to the opponent than other buttons and at most ranges you can generally get st.HP into super. At the tip of its range you "only" get raw super (still worth).
-After you guard break with a fully charged Denjin fireball or super you have time to dash forward once and then get b+HK into combo. The damage prorates hard off the guard break but it's still pretty cool.
-If Ryu is in V-Trigger and is able to touch with a blocked jump in, he can blockstring into cr.HP xx HP shoryu xx super, guard break, b+HK into whatever, looks to do 200 - 250 damage total, because they BLOCKED. Crazy. Obviously they can V-Reversal to stop this setup, unless they're already in V-Trigger state themselves........................

edit: I've been grinding out all of the above in training mode, there are some nuances to the inputs on a lot of these that I leave as an exercise to the reader but if anyone really wants help with how to execute A Particular Thing I'll share my own mental notes of how to make sure you're doing the Thing correctly.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 23, 2016

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
cams you're catching a lot of poo poo for your attitude but I give mad props for showing up to an offline event and entering and loving playing. Good poo poo bro. You will learn so much so fast if you keep that up.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha1ZschLseI

Since making tutorials is the thing the cool kids do now I made a super specific one about Ryu. Not even a Ryu tutorial just an analysis of the situation off his f.HP! Please watch, maybe you'll get some ideas for your own character, or at least learn how to think about this situation if you encounter a Ryu in the wild that likes this move.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
http://www.twitch.tv/trykt/v/50548682?t=4m49s

LOOK I DID IT IN A MATCH, HOORAY

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is a fightstick a good long-term investment? As in, are they easy to repair and maintain? I play more than a few fighting games, none of them seriously competitively, so I would be using it fairly regularly. An old friend let me know yesterday that he was having a goof time with SFV on the PC and I picked it up for the PS4, and I had a lot of fun playing and chatting over Skype. Playing fighting games with a controller hurts my hands after a few hours, and I was thinking of picking up a stick to 1) make inputting moves a little easier 2) reduce strain on my hands over long sessions and 3) have a specialized piece of equipment for fighting games (and other games that might be able to use the button layout) on the PS4 and PC. I don't want to skimp, and I was eyeing the HORI Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai for $150. I'd like to know if a fightstick like that would be something I could benefit from for a long time. I'm pretty gentle with my equipment, but I'd be pretty upset if I damaged a button a few months down the road and that was that.

I bought a mad catz TE in 2009 that I've used regularly since, including toting around to tournaments and local sessions. I've had to replace buttons twice, costs around 20 bucks and is super easy. Still works great.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Shockeh posted:

Just to echo Lemon, really liked this Trykt. Still feeling very 'eeeh' about the game in general so far, but starting to feel it a bit more now I'm just beginning to work around Crush Counters more. Ryu still feels so anemic in range, in a game where everyone is a bit, he feels especially so.

Thanks! I was really hoping it came out coherent and made enough sense to get people thinking.

Something to consider regarding Ryu's range is that footsie ranged fireballs are really good in this game. They were important in SF4 but often meant eating a focus attack for full combo or an Ultra or some other such Huge Damage Thing. Since focus attacks and ultras don't exist in 5 he can get away with a lot more of them and their trait of always winning vs. any normals once released (by way of just being a projectile) becomes a lot more relevant. So yeah he doesn't have a big long range fuckoff normal like Birdie or Ken but he can beat those normals in footsies exchanges with smart fireballs. Plus the whole white life thing means you can take off pretty big chunks of life with a single fireball sometimes. Like, block stringing someone for a while and then eventually landing a fireball can actually be threatening instead of just "whatever, guess I took a medium punch's worth of damage one time". You could sometimes get that effect in SF4 when people got a little too focus-happy but the opponent had to choose to make that mistake, unlike here where you can potentially force it on them multiple times per round.

Some SF4 stuff I've had to unlearn:
-cr.mp is no longer a pressure normal, as it leads to nothing. Just looking at like frame data/hitboxes it's not bad but it doesn't fit into Ryu's gameplan anywhere except at the end of certain hit confirms/block strings.
-cr.mk is no longer a poke, do not use it as such (replace with st.mk). Treat it as a mix-up tool, it's a low that can lead into Stuff. Works nicely at the end of blockstrings, and walk forward cr.mk is still good when you're finally able to get in that range.
-Ryu works better playing aggressively than defensively, my whole mindset in match-ups now is "what can I do to make them stop pressing buttons long enough to let me go in"
-don't hold on to super, combo into it first chance you get (trying to do this has made me discover some serious execution problems/bad habits I have from SF4 since cancelling into super from various moves was something I almost never did)
-pretty much never, EVER, throw 2 fireballs in a row during neutral

Trykt fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 27, 2016

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Im not sure the guy who said dash up normals are the name of the game now was all that wrong anymore

I'm not familiar with who said this or when but this is definitely a conclusion I'm coming to on my own

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Just double tap, when you're talking about a window of 2 - 3 frames or even more then double tapping is by far the superior method.

Besides, as someone that learned to plink literally everything in SF4, I can't even tell you if plinking works at all in SF5 because 95% of links are incredibly easy to 1 button. I double tap or outright mash anything that's remotely tricky and it works 100%.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Real hurthling! posted:

i have a bad habit of trying to spam the next move in a combo following a hit confirm through the first moves animation and it works great in games with chain combos but it doesn't seem to work for links like that in sf. when i practice cr lk, cr lp xx hp dp with ryu I get really mad to see 2hit on the screen 50 percent of the time so in matches i wuss out to the mashable target chain combo because i lack confidence when i get an in and don't want to waste the chance

any tips?

Nothing for this except practice. My personal suggestion, go to training mode and set the dummy to random block and do it till you can confirm into DP at least 90% on both sides. Meaning like, 10 attempts per side, count your attempts up to 10, if you mess up (e.g. finish the DP on a blocking opponent or don't get the DP on your hits) more than once then jump to the other side and go again from the other direction. If you make it to 10 then congrats, do it again! At some point you will graduate to making sure you can get it 10 times in a row with zero mistakes. That's how I learned to hit confirm in SF4 and that's still more or less how I practice execution for those kind of combos in SF5.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Jmcrofts posted:

Reviving this old post to say I started going out of my way to do this and it's made a big difference. Super is really really good in this game, for most characters. Good stuff Trykt.

Thanks broseph! I'm enjoying your tutorials as well. Good looking out for the new blood.

There's a gigantic Ryu effortpost building in my goony brain, gonna hold off for a while longer though until I have more experience to say some things are good/bad with more certainty.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I know of several people in my local scene that hated SF4 and especially the kind of people that play SF4, so they got good at SF4 to take their money every chance they got. I would agree if you think it's weird and I don't really want anything to do with those dudes, but there you are.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

giogadi posted:

Sorry to cross-post from another thread, but I'm really curious:

Did I see Zangief jump in, then Laura DP to anti-air, and then Zangief air-throw the DP? Did I see that correctly?

Laura's "DP" has no invincibility once she's in the air. On the ground it only has upper body invincibility anyway, meaning it will beat jump ins but nothing else.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

:allears: :swoon: :heysexy: :circlefap:

:ccb: :vince:

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

OxMan posted:

Any place other than eventhub have written down strings anywhere? It's ok it's just sort of disorganized.

Not sure what you're asking here. Combos? There's an official guide, both digital and paper versions, that's pretty good.

Orv posted:

Fighting game baby idiot question: I'm finally trying to sit down and get good at fighting games rather than playing a hundred matches online and just walking away, so I'm practicing various Ryu punishes, but every once and a while (more than I'd like) I'll try to predictively sweep and get crush countered for it. I know it's wrong on a logical level, but my body just wants to sweep early, is this just mental patterns I don't have yet or is there something I should be doing specifically to counter my terrible idiocy.

You have to consciously think "don't do that" the whole time while you're playing, and doubly so when the situation actually comes up and you have to stop yourself. Killing bad habits/starting good ones is entirely you vs. your lizard brain and not everyone has the willpower and focus to be successful right away. I super don't.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Jmcrofts posted:

I think you have to do cr.lp s.lp s.lk now.

This works but to be honest don't bother with it. Just learn st.lp st.lk xx hp shoryuken and cr.lk cr.lp xx hp shoryuken. The first one starts with a 3 frame normal and the second one starts from a 4 frame low so they're both very useful and both combo into super for very good damage, especially if you're in v-trigger mode already. They both have a different timing and take some practice though!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
:siren:COMBO DUMP POST:siren:

Ryu practical combos into super. There are of course lots of other combos that technically exist but anything not listed here is probably a less optimal version of something already on the list.

Hit Confirm:
  • st.LP, cr.LP xx HP SRK xx Super (fastest start up)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (strongest "normal" hit confirm)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx LK Tatsu, Super (max range)
  • cr.LK~cr.LP xx HP SRK xx Super (starts low, fast)
  • cr.MK xx HP Hadoken xx Super (longest range "low" hit confirm)
  • st.MP, cr.MP xx HP Hadoken xx Super
  • st.MP, st.MP, Super (medium range)
  • st.MP, Super (max range)
  • f.HP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super
  • f.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (medium range)
  • f.HP, cr.MP xx LK Tatsu, Super (max range)
  • j.MK, st.MP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (guaranteed after deep or cross-up j.MK hits, big damage)

V-Trigger Hit Confirm:
  • cr.MK xx V-Trigger, Super (low, works at max range of cr.MK)
  • st.MK xx V-Trigger, HP SRK xx Super (st.HP instead vs longer range opponent)
  • st.MK xx V-Trigger, Super (max range)
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, LK Tatsu, Super (vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, HP SRK xx Super (STRICT TIMING, corner only, vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)

Full Punish:
  • CC st.HK, ~microwalk~, st.MP, cr.HP xx V-Trigger, st.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (close range)
  • CC st.HK, ~microwalk~, st.MP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (close range)
  • CC st.HK, st.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (vs. standing only)
  • st.MP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (short range, great damage)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (medium range, medium damage)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx LK Tatsu, Super (max range, least damage)
  • HP SRK xx Super (fastest punish, medium range)

Misc:
  • j.MP, Super (situational anti-air)
  • MP SRK xx Super

Other Good poo poo:
  • Charged V-Trigger Hadoken Guard Break, dash forward, st.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK
  • j.MP(2) xx air HK Tatsu
  • j.MP, EX SRK
  • f.HP, cr.HP xx EX Tatsu, EX SRK (corner only)
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, LP SRK, EX SRK (corner only, vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)

Note: Maybe this is the SF4 player in me talking but it really bugs me he doesn't have a decent way into super from anti-air SRK, not even early LP SRK juggle into Super, for some reason the opponent has no juggle points after they get hit by that. At least let me V-Trigger into juggle Super after if you wanna limit that but drat that really chaps my rear end.

Note 2: It occurred to me this is almost every practical combo Ryu has anyway (you basically put Super at the end if you have it) so I'll just throw in a few extra things that are worth learning/doing

Trykt fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 21, 2016

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

cloofish posted:

Good poo poo. Keep in mind Ryu's target combos give a free juggle after v-trigger, so you can do st.HP ~ st.HK xx V-Trigger, LK Tatsu xx Super, for example, for a bit more bang for your buck. Looks stylish too!

e: Also CC HK xx V-Trigger, f.HP, cr.HP xx HP Shoryuken xx Super does absolutely insane damage and stun.

Popping V-Trigger mid combo is no good for punishes since it adds an extra hit of scaling for the activation. You're better off hitting V-Trigger while they're still in the air from their DP or whatever and then doing a punish from the list, that's always gonna be the best damage.

Arzachel posted:

Is st.MP, c.HP xx HP SRK not worth doing over the other starters even if you're in range?

The damage is slightly better than starting with cr.HP, yes. However, This combo has serious consistency issues due to range. I know of punishes where it both works and where the cr.HP fails depending on variables that may or may not be in your control. Either way it's not to be relied upon IMO. Personally, as part of any punish combo, I'm scratching it out of my playbook.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 29, 2016

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

amazing chest ahead

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I left out an important combo in my dump post:

CC st.HK, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (close range, vs. standing only)

That's pretty much max damage on a CC punish without any ~microwalk~ bullshit. It does absurd damage if you pop V-Trigger before the CC st.HK. I edited the post if you wanna update the OP as well!

Real hurthling! posted:

anyone have thoughts about which of these two low ryu confirm combos to use as a go to?

cr.lk~cr.lp starts with a low and is the same speed, so it's way better. The range difference (if it exists) doesn't matter for the situations you would use this type of confirm in, please don't use cr.lp~cr.lp ever (these are technically chains and not links btw!). Protip for this combo:

hold down-forward for the cr.lk, then as you hit cr.lp just do a fireball motion, you will get a DP easy. Do another fireball motion and press HP again and the super comes out. It's actually incredibly easy, I practiced this combo the "hard" way for days before I realized this even though I should have known it from SF4!

Your best walk-up/dash-up hit confirm BTW is st.lp st.lk (this one IS a link), st.lp is a 3 frame normal and has a pretty great hitbox to make up for its short range. You can use the same input trick for easy DP and Super as well, just hold forward (you can even be holding forward before you ever press st.LP) and when you press st.LK do a fireball motion and press HP, then another fireball and press HP.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Brosnan posted:

Practice Mode will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWFzS1JgJyo

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
get divorced so you can dedicate more time to video games

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Pomp posted:

i don't think they're faking it but i don't understand it in the slightest

Hello friend, I've been playing and posting about SF4 since 2009, how are you?

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Ybrik posted:

Could someone give me some advice when dealing with wakeup dps? I have some safe jump setups but I feel whenever I get a knockdown and I don't have time to set one up I feel like it's just a guess on my part.

It sure is a guess! But it's heavily in your favor as long as you have your max damage punish combos on deck for when you successfully bait a dp. IMO don't be scared of them (i.e. meaty more often than not) cause they almost never lead into big damage in this game. You could eat 3 reversal DPs and still come out even or better by landing 1 good punish combo on a baited one.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I'll weigh in on Ryu even though you shouldn't take my opinion on him any more seriously just because I'm obsessed with the character :downs:

Pros:
-Really good reversals
-Parry is really strong vs. stuff you can react to
-Gets good mileage out of V-Trigger cancelling most of his normals
-Good V-Reversal: decent range, knocks down, safe on block
-LOTS of ways to combo into Super, including many practical and damaging hit confirms. I personally think consistent combos into Super is one of the most important things that makes a character good in this game.

Cons:
-His whiff punishment mostly doesn't lead to anything, he *has* to spend resources to turn whiff punishes into damage
-Parry mostly sucks in guess situations (where 3S parry was godlike), it's only valid where Ryu is +0, -1, or -2 frames and it's limited and risky even then
-Fireballs suck poo poo, they are truly "long range pokes" in this game and not for any form of zoning
-Bad at mix-ups, he's all about pressure and punishing in this game IMO. SF5's white life mechanic definitely favors pressure characters more than SF4, though.

I think all this makes him pretty mid tier. Absolutely worth playing but definitely :effort: - I think he'll end up with some fairly advantageous match-ups vs. some characters in the hands of players that can consistently react to certain moves with parry. This might be offset by his parry not really mattering at all vs. grapplers.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm stilling getting used to this PS4 thing what with video uploads and whatnot. So here's some of my scrubby rear end adventures as Shammy. Feel free to critique the badness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4l8kyRYNTE&list=PLadOLhxVK0EZ34ssSiMUEuic55BCZ--qk

Definitely stop pressing b+MP, I'm really not sure how or why you have that as a habit but it's the biggest immediate problem you need to solve. That move is pretty much just to let her get a beefier hit confirm off of certain hits, like j.lk (her only cross-up capable air normal)

You need to not press st.mp or cr.mp during footsies (use those buttons for pressure when you KNOW you have advantage), stick with st.mk and cr.mk (try to hit-confirm cr.mk into spiral arrow, especially if you're whiff punishing something). Press way way more st.mk btw, and move around more (including backwards), you're standing in one spot pressing the button sometimes like that ridiculous rear end bot in that video from earlier in the thread.

You need to actually use your V-Trigger cancel, poke with cr.hp and just cancel it. If you get a hit you can confirm into st.hp xx v-triggered spiral arrow, v-triggered cannon spike for 300+ damage, on block you're massively + so you can try mix-ups. Do a normal canceled into hooligan cross up dive kick for a baby mode mix-up that will probably hit 95% of people online. Confirm into cr.mp xx whatever. If they do block you're STILL + so Do More poo poo (staying active is a theme for good Cammy play)

Note that you CAN also poke and V-trigger cancel with st.mk and cr.mk but I wouldn't recommend it, you get so little advantage on hit that you only get a small follow-up (if any, depends on distance).

Please make sure you are strong at hit confirming into super. Until you are I would recommend spending your meter mostly on EX divekicks as often as you can.

Good luck!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
She has great DPs, learn to use those as anti-airs before you start trying to master her normals that can anti-air since those are for edge case scenarios where you don't want to or can't DP for some reason.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Stefan Prodan posted:

Are you supposed to ever not quick rise? Like, is it proper to mix in staying down for a bit sometimes or should you pretty much always at least be trying to tech the fall?

Stefan Prodan posted:

What should I try to hit people with as Ryu when they wake up?

I've been doing cr MK+Hadoken, cr HK, and throw, and sometimes try to jump in and crossup

Should I be trying to do heavier attacks like F+HP into a combo and that sort of thing and try to time it so that it's meaty?

Staying down in this game is usually a bad idea because you're down for so long they get to push your body towards the corner a whole bunch with a couple dashes and still meaty you, or if they're a tricky character like Cammy or Fang they get to set up whatever the gently caress they want on reaction. You should stay down sometimes though, to avoid certain setups you suspect are coming and know to be dangerous, especially if they're spending meter on the setup in some way or another.

With Ryu on their wake up you should meaty them with st.mp, b.hk, or cr.lk, or throw them on wake up.

-st.mp is good because it gives advantage on block, so you can continue pressure (press another st.mp or even cr.mp with fireball buffered in). When they learn not to hit any buttons after blocking st.mp you can get away with stuff like walk up throw, walk up press another button (st.mp again works fine). It also applies some white life "chip" that you can take from them if they take another hit from something else soon after.

-b.hk is good because it hit confirms into an easy and strong combo (link into st.lk xx hp shoryuken, cancel the DP into super if you have it), works whether they got hit standing or crouching, puts them into knockdown if they managed to get airborne before Ryu's stanky leg hit them, punishes backdash with a bit of damage, ALSO does white life "chip", and is completely even on block so you can press buttons or even fish with Ryu's parry right after.

-cr.lk is good because it's a low so it will catch them holding up, back, backdashing, or mashing throw/normals, if you time it properly (this is the "hardest" of these normals to use meaty). It's also the safest of these options against V-Reversals. It combos to a hit confirm (cr.lk cr.lp xx HP shoryuken, cancel to super if you got it) and also leaves you slightly advantaged on block so you can press another button or take advantage of them being scared and do Walk Forward Stuff.

All of these lose to reversals like dragon punches and mika's EX rekka thing, etc, so sometimes you need to make it look like you're gonna do one of these moves and then just don't. If they take the bait and DP you get a punish and they will (probably) be scared to try it again on the resulting knockdown so you get to do more pressure!

Throw is for when you are pretty sure you've taught the opponent to not press any buttons and you want to take advantage. Most players are super mashy in this game so this is definitely the last resort option only when you think you've proven your ability to threaten the above options to them. Good Luck!

https://www.twitch.tv/trykt/v/54716857

Here's a bigass set I played with another goon tonight where I (tried) to apply all of these things, see if you can figure out where they worked and why (i.e. what the opponent was doing to get hit). I hosed up my meaties a fair bit toward the end, the latency was doin something fucky where stuff I was SURE was correctly timed ended up whiffing through and getting me thrown.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

jebeebus posted:

why you post this... THIS DOESNT REPRESENT ME

ggs tho

Sorry man it wasn't meant as a call out or anything! Just wanted to show some of the dumb poo poo I've been talking about that people should do with Ryu in some matches.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Microwaves Mom posted:

Okay whose good at punishing block strings? Sounds like Ryu

When people talk about punishing they are referring to hitting someone for doing an unsafe move. Usually with a combo, but sometimes you only get one hit and/or have to use specific moves, usually due to distance or the opponent being in some special state like crouching, airborne, or a unique recovery animation (think after a blocked or whiffed super).

Blockstrings are gonna be made up of moves that are generally very safe, so punishing doesn't really come into play. You can use an invincible special move to interrupt the opponent during specific gaps in their blockstring, but that's a pure guess that can turn into you being punished very hard if you're wrong.

If you want to make those guesses a lot then the 4 characters with meterless, invincible specials (aka DPs or Dragon Punches) are Ryu, Ken, Cammy, and Necalli. Of those 4, for a new player I'd recommend Necalli by a mile. Very simple and very effective character.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 20, 2016

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Jmcrofts posted:

You can do it like this:

d+lk, df+lp, (quickly) d, df+hp

I would actually recommend doing it as:

Hold df
Cr.lk
Cr.lp + qcf (fireball motion)
HP

This is in my opinion the very easiest way to do the combo and has the extra benefit of making the cancel into super very easy to add on, just do another qcf motion and press punch one more time.

This method also works great for Cammy.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

I mustache you a question, but I'll shave it for later

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Hey I haven't been keeping up with the thread at all so maybe some or all of this is super old hat/outdated info for Ryu but someone asked me to infodump a bunch of stuff about how to play him so here it is!

Fireballs 101:
  • Your most used fireball strength for general zoning should be LP, it has the least recovery/total execution frames, meaning you can DP reaction jumps that might have punished an HP fireball. Its slower speed also means it controls more space for more time and gives you more advantage if the opponent blocks it.
    • If the opponent jumps in after a fireball and you block it, you hosed up. If you have time to block, you had time to DP. Take your DP opportunities!
  • HP fireball is best out of canceled normals (st.MP, cr.MP, cr.MK) since it can combo from slightly further ranges.
    • HP still has uses in zoning, basically when the opponent is "used" to LP fireball speed using an HP can catch them off guard, especially if they're trying to time a V-Skill
    • Sometimes it's good to lean on HP fireball momentarily and then switch to LP fireball, like a baseball pitcher throwing a change-up
  • Statistically speaking the most common situation a fireball gets thrown is directly after another fireball. Everyone knows this whether they realize it or not, including your scrubby ranked opponent, and is extremely likely to jump after your first fireball to punish the second.
    • Short version: It's generally very bad to throw 2 fireballs in a row
  • EX Fireballs should be used VERY sparingly, Ryu's meter is best used on super.
    • Only use EX Fireball when you KNOW it's going to touch (doesn't have to hit, but should at least be a block) or you KNOW you can punish what the opponent can do to avoid the fireball (jump, teleport, etc.)
    • Using EX Fireballs to win a fireball war is acceptable but it must be used intelligently, don't just chuck it cause you feel like you're getting overwhelmed. Use it when you think it will push through a 1 hit projectile and at least touch the opponent, this will give you enough advantage to take control briefly.
    • Exception to some above rules, but HP fireball directly after EX fireball is generally pretty good as long as you're not too close (you get more frame advantage from being further away), can catch them trying to jump. Especially good if Ryu is in V-Trigger.
  • Special discussion about corners. In general, Ryu needs to calm his fireball game way down near the corner, whether he's the one in the corner or the one pressuring outside the corner.
    • If the opponent is in the corner then their best way out is generally to jump. Good players will make this guess much less often and less predictably than bad ones but they will definitely still tend to jump.
    • If Ryu is the one in the corner then the opponent will want to jump at some point to get in and abuse how powerful the corner is in sf4/sf5, since you can cross up or not, and do so coming down in an angle that's hard to consistently anti-air
    • Essentially, both sides are more likely to jump, which is the natural counter to a fireball. Solution: don't fireball, at least not without some serious consideration first. If you must fireball here I'd recommend actually using EX to maximize the chances of it working and minimizing the time they have to punish you (EX has the lowest total frames of all fireballs)

Footsies:
  • Ryu has a good sweep, good walk speed, and a good dash; try to put him in range to whiff punish with cr.HK as often as you can. Try not to be afraid of how punishable his sweep is, it's worth the risk since it starts a LOT of Ryu's offense, especially on crush counter. Don't be afraid to spend V-Trigger activate on a sweep either if you need that knockdown and you're trying to stay safe.
    • After crush counter sweep you can dash forward 3 or 4 times (depending on what you want for setup after) to push their body for really good corner carry.
  • Ryu can sweep fireballs out of their startup if you're fast enough, even Guile (you can also sweep him out of his V-Skill pretty easily). Sometimes you'll trade, which is in Ryu's favor, so still good!
  • If you think you've convinced your opponent to crouch block and not push any buttons for fear of getting whiff punished try going in:
    • walk up or dash up throw
    • dash up hit confirms, starting with st.LP (3 frames), st.MP (5 frames), or b.HK (8 frames); common wisdom is to lean on the fastest normal (st.LP) and pepper in st.MP and b.HK to mix-up the delay timings to possibly catch them pressing a button
    • walk up cr.MK xx fireball; make sure you practice this so you can do it without accidentally DP'ing instead. Also make sure you can hit confirm this into super. You'll want to vary exactly how long you walk up before the cr.MK comes out, you're trying to give them enough time to try pressing a button but catching them with cr.MK first. This is what cr.MK is for in this game, it's not a very good poke anymore but it's a great combination frame trap/low hitting normal to catch people trying to press buttons or walk away from you in a mix-up situation.
    • do a normal into V-Trigger activation (cr.MK, st.MK, st.HP recommended). If you pop VT activation, these buttons give an easy hit-confirm on hit and frame advantage on block so you can continue pressure with:
      • walk up throw
      • walk up st.MP
      • immediate cr.MK xx charge fireball (good time to use EX here)

Parry:
  • Ryu's parry works best on reaction to things like Cammy divekicks, Bison devil's reverse, Laura overhead, Mika charge kick, etc.
  • If you're going to guess parry keep in mind it works best in situations where he is at frame advantage situations of +0 (wins vs. 3 frame moves and slower, e.g. a few specials, some light attacks), -1 (4 frames and slower, e.g. most light attacks), or -2 (5 frames and slower, e.g. medium attacks, worth noting they are typically the most common buttons pressed, especially in minor advantage situations)
    • Moves that put Ryu in these situations, you can use these to bait mashing:
      • b.HK (+0)
      • st.HP (-1)
      • f.HP (-2)
  • Learn what commonly used moves (if any) each character will use that put Ryu at these frame advantages, for example in the mirror the opponent Ryu is going to press st.MP a lot (just like you should) which is +2 so a parry immediately after can often work!
  • Parry is inherently weaker as a guess vs. grapplers, they will often scoop you with command grabs without even trying specifically to beat the parry. Highly recommend keeping parry usage to reactions only vs. all grapplers.

Forward throw:
  • After forward throw you if you do f.HP immediately it will hit meaty if the opponent quickrises. If they don't then Ryu is safe and still has time to do another meaty on their wake up.

Jump normals:
  • Literally all of Ryu's jump normals have a use:
    • j.LP is good air-to-air, jump back fadeaway is good anti-cross-up
      • Can be used as a fuzzy overhead after a blocked medium or hard jump normal vs. tall characters including Zangief, Birdie, Bison, Fang, maybe others
    • j.MP is potentially his hardest hitting anti-air (technically air-to-air) since you get follow-ups after, including super, but it must be done very early vs. the opponent's air moves
      • Can also function as a double overhead vs. tall characters including Zangief, Birdie, Bison, Fang, maybe others
    • j.HP hits pretty far below Ryu, is good for stuffing or trading with marginal anti-air normals (including a lot of those annoying stand jabs)
    • j.LK crosses-up, is probably his most useful cross-up, has a good hitbox/hurtbox combo making it awkward to anti-air in a lot of situations, leads to light hit confirm combo
      • Can be used as a fuzzy overhead after a blocked medium or hard jump normal vs. tall characters including Zangief, Birdie, Bison, Fang, maybe others
    • j.MK crosses-up, is a lot easier to see and block correctly than j.LK but has a much bigger and reliable hitbox, is good for touching people trying to walk under your jump. Always gives you the beefy combo of st.MP - cr.HP xx HP Shoryu (into super if you've got it) if it hits even remotely deep, cross-up or not.
    • j.HK farthest reaching jump normal, if you can space it so your jump just scrapes them with the toes from j.HK it's pretty hard for them to deal with, they tend to have to block it which is free gray life

Blockstrings and Gray Health:
  • Ryu's offense is good but he isn't exactly a mix-up monster in SF5 so a lot of his damage actually comes from applying gray life and then converting it to permanent damage.
    • Ryu's st.MP is an insanely good button if you're close enough to use it, and usually forces enough respect that after the opponent blocks one or two of them they will remain on defense long enough for you to walk forward and keep pressing st.MP
      • Even if you never open them up into an actual combo after repeated touches like this, getting a whiff punish sweep or surprise cr.mk low or throw, or even a max range f.MP overhead from Ryu can convert that gray life into significant damage
      • Ryu's st.MK is an excellent "shimmy" button that will often convert gray life into real damage for you after a blockstring. Even better if you have V-Trigger to cancel it into further damage!
    • It's a risk that sometimes worth taking to end your blockstring with a parry-bait move (listed above) and going for the parry if it's blocked, this usually nets you the gray life and a combo's worth of damage if you guessed right.

*UPDATED*

Hit Confirm:
  • st.LP, cr.LP xx HP SRK xx Super (fastest start up)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (strongest "normal" hit confirm)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx LK Tatsu, Super (max range)
  • cr.LK~cr.LP xx HP SRK xx Super (starts low, fast)
  • cr.MK xx HP Hadoken xx Super (longest range "low" hit confirm)
  • st.MP, cr.MP xx HP Hadoken xx Super
  • st.MP, Super (max range, this is a hit confirm because you have time to link the Super after st.MP completely recovers, works even at the edge of st.MP range, practice this!)
  • f.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (medium range)
  • f.HP, cr.MP xx LK Tatsu, Super (max range)
  • j.MK, st.MP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (guaranteed after deep or cross-up j.MK hits, big damage)

V-Trigger Hit Confirm:
  • cr.MK xx V-Trigger, Super (low, works at max range of cr.MK)
  • st.MK xx V-Trigger, HP SRK xx Super (st.HP instead vs longer range opponent)
  • st.MK xx V-Trigger, Super (max range)
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, LK Tatsu, Super (vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, HP SRK xx Super (STRICT TIMING, corner only, vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)

Full Punish:
  • CC st.HK, ~microwalk~, st.MP, cr.HP xx V-Trigger, st.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (close range)
  • CC st.HK, ~microwalk~, st.MP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (close range)
  • CC st.HK, st.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (vs. standing only)
  • f.HP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (close range)
  • st.MP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (short range, great damage)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (medium range, medium damage)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx LK Tatsu, Super (max range, least damage)
  • HP SRK xx Super (fastest punish, medium range)

Reversal:
  • MP SRK xx Super

Anti-Air:
  • j.MP, Super

Other Good poo poo:
  • Charged V-Trigger Hadoken Guard Break, dash forward, st.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK
  • j.MP(2) xx air HK Tatsu
  • j.MP, EX SRK
  • f.HP, cr.HP xx EX Tatsu, EX SRK (corner only)
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, LP SRK, EX SRK (corner only, vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)

Trykt fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 3, 2016

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

cams posted:

i was a real oval office when i was trying to talk to people about sfv in this thread and you constantly trolled me, agreed

I tried to give you props one time and you poo poo all over it immediately, you are a real poo poo-filled cunty oval office, yes.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Hey I haven't been playing SFV much or reading the thread lately but I'm back baby, I really missed chatting about abstruse fighting game details a lot!

Just one thing real quick:

quote:

So far I've replaced the square joystick gate with an octagonal one.

Don't loving do this. Don't anyone EVER loving do this. If anyone reading this right now has done it please go undo it and forget you even tried it. Thank you.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Biggz posted:

Why don't we just let people use what they want? :cry:

Nobody WANTS to use octogate, they just get a twisted idea in their head that it's somehow normal/standard/good, like their brain goes "oh 8 directions, that makes sense, better get that!" but it's really just a thing that will only ever get in your way. The best you can do is get used to it and maybe get decent despite it and not realize how much shittier it is; there is no scenario where it is a benefit.

I am telling the world, for the good of all, stop loving using octogate!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
At least we can all rest easy knowing a raging douche with a mental disorder could never be elected President or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

We Know Catheters posted:

Is USF4 for PC worth getting?

It's the best version of USF4 that exists, and there's still an active community, so probably.