Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Peewi posted:

Is there anywhere you can see all the colors, to help decide how much effort I want to put into survival?

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/feb/16/how-unlock-new-character-colors-street-fighter-5/

Should be everyone in that link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flinger posted:

Snake eyez on verge of tears talking about how everyone abandoned Gief :smith:

What? Where?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Been trying to pick him up for a few days, and one of the biggest problems I've had versus good players is trying to get around long pokes, such as from Karin, Dhalsim, Chun, etc. I've found that lariat might be useful when someone tries walking in to press their longest button. I had more luck with that than with something like v-skill, charged hp or mk at least. I never really played grapplers much in SF4, so picking him up is sort of hard.

https://a.pomf.cat/bipmiy.webm

https://a.pomf.cat/dqrotb.webm

Thanks for this, will try this out in some matches and see if it'll help. Having the same issue as you.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not everyone's V-Reversal is forward + 3 punches, Gief's and Ken's v-reversal is forward + 3 kicks. Also, V-reversals will take off some stun from your own stun meter.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gunder posted:

Has Zangief ever been considered top tier in any Street Fighter?

He was pretty good in Alpha 2 and 3, I think. Not sure, just going by the Shoryuken wik.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I mean if you don't see whats boring about the majority of characters having braindead anti-airs and the dynamic of low risk jumpins that are also really bad.

I'd prefer they buff jumpins and make anti-airs more situational (this could mainly be fixed by removing the giant hurtboxes from jumpins) but increasing the reward. Crush counters seem tailor made for it but they realized that with how terrible jumpins are, consistent crush counter anti-airs into a combo would be too good. The only character that really kept it was Dhalsim and its on an extremely situational button that you have to react with early and it's cool and good which is a rarity in this game.

You could of course have "reliable" anti-air buttons that don't crush counter as well! You know, variety.

Reading this reminds me that, in the Zangief trailer, they showed Gief's crouching hard punch crush countering Bison into an ex air SPD. I was sad that at release, this was no longer a thing I could do. :(

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

fozzy fosbourne posted:

For real though no more blonde characters after this or at least give me a color swap FOR ThE LOVE OF DIEGO UMEJUAREZ, CRAPCOM

Well, Guile is a blond too, isn't he?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Commissar Ken posted:

Alright gimmie all those sick 1 frame links I need to be hitting and 14 hit target combos for Gief.

Crouch jabs into more crouching jabs. Maybe switch them up with crouching shorts.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to turn off the weird and subtle screen shake that happens when someone gets hit by/blocks a medium/heavy strength normal? It's really annoying.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agoat posted:

Is it too late to keep complaining about the lovely netcode?

I don't think it can be complained about enough.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agoat posted:

I'm sure I'd be impressed by random online mixups but if I can't see them until they're hitting me I don't know what they expect

I like when hits turn into blocks and vice versa.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have an odd issue with SF5 where it will play normally at 60 fps when I first boot it up but then after a while, the performance will degrade and then the game will start playing in a bit of slow mode. Is there a way to fix this? My PC specs are i5 4570, gtx 970, 16gb ram, and win7 64bit.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I guess the most obvious question is what are your temps while playing. I use HWInfo and put the CPU and GPU temps in my system tray.

I also have them in an overlay with my fps using RTSS, but SFV doesn't support overlays.

I have a 970/4670k/8GB/W7-64 bit as well and I've not really had those kinds of issues.

55C for my GPU while playing and 60C for my CPU while playing.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Try going to StreetFighterV\StreetFighterV\Intermediate\Config\CoalescedSourceConfigs\Engine.ini and setting both vSync lines to 0 and then going to bSmoothFramerate and set it to false.

I would also go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\StreetFighterV\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini and add the lines

bSmoothFrameRate=false
r.VSync=0

At the bottom because I'm not 100% sure if it loads from the steam folder or the user folder. Then go to nVidia card settings and either force vSync to on or limit to 60fps.

Also, don't use nVidia HD Audio, I think it has some problems with the game, I use RealTek HD audio.

I have my 970 connected through with HDMI which is how I get video and audio. Would RealTekHD audio work with that setup?

Also, thanks for the help, thread. Going to be trying a lot of these things.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Try going to StreetFighterV\StreetFighterV\Intermediate\Config\CoalescedSourceConfigs\Engine.ini and setting both vSync lines to 0 and then going to bSmoothFramerate and set it to false.

I would also go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\StreetFighterV\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini and add the lines

bSmoothFrameRate=false
r.VSync=0

At the bottom because I'm not 100% sure if it loads from the steam folder or the user folder. Then go to nVidia card settings and either force vSync to on or limit to 60fps.

Also, don't use nVidia HD Audio, I think it has some problems with the game, I use RealTek HD audio.

I still get the eventual slowdown after a period. I'll try running memtest to see if there's an issue with my ram or something. Maybe a reinstall is in order.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fereydun posted:

are you on a dual core processor
if so that's the reason

the game just straight up has some stupid garbage w certain processors that you can temporarily fix for like a couple of minutes before it goes to poo poo again by messing around with core affinities

i5 4570, which is a quad, I thought.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Would using RealTek HD audio let me send sound through my HDMI cable? My current setup is that I send both video and audio through my GTX 970 using HDMI and Nvidia HD audio.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

It should. I used Realtek for a while and haven't ever needed a separate audio cable.

Thanks. What file do I download? Is it the files listed under "High Definition Audio Codecs"? If so, do I need to download the 64 bit file since I'm on 64bit Win7?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

So I guess the Grid is an actual place the fighters can go to.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

darealkooky posted:

training stage is real?????

If you look up the other Alex story scenes, the training stage/Grid seems to be a copy of the Xmen Danger Room but for Shadaloo and FANG to use.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alex trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9zZvfjIVQk

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
So on the youtube Street Fighter channel, they have these character guides and I decided to watch their Zangief: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOW3tHuJj6c

In it, they say that you can land a crush counter with Gief's crouching fierce, but you can't get a crush counter with it, like at all. I have no idea how they let that get through to the video.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

Imma guess that it was possible in a previous build of the game which was what they had to work with.

That must've been an old build cause even in the December 2015 beta, you couldn't get a crush counter with gief's crouch fierce.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing they removed green hand as to make sure gief didn't have the same SF4 vortex.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
One of gief's tough combo challenges was jump roundhouse and then sweep.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks like the update is out for SFV, at least the PC version is. Downloading a 5.1gb patch.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://gfycat.com/BowedIcyFlyingsquirrel

Sonic boom recovery is slower in SF5.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, he grew a foot taller and a beard, and added 200 pounds of muscle. His v-skill is even the same as his old crouching taunt! Oh, and he's a grappler now.

I don't think Zangief is all that bad.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have they even announced what this month's DLC character is? If not, it'll probably have to be sometime this week, I imagine.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
That looks like Karin's current alt costume.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I play ST on a 360 pad. Just play it.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rog's vskill so far sounds like the stupid turn around punch dodge thing Rog got in SF4 omega mode. Also, lol at them giving up on the zenny thing.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I still wonder why they changed ryu's low forward from the evil ryu version (in the video posted above) to the one we have now.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Corbeau posted:

Capcom server seems down. Is that scheduled?

Yeah, until midnight pst, I think.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Training stage would be less of an issue if SF5 allowed you to turn on character themes in local vs matches. Have they patched that in yet?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://medium.com/@WydD/about-the-...ab84#.yenn2dhi0

Some choice pieces of info include: "The first one, the most important, and I can’t believe I’m saying this… the server communication is made on an insecure https channel." "In the end, as SFV does not check the connection, you can put you in between the game and the server. Then, you are able to listen and modify everything they talk about."

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

bhsman posted:

You don't necessarily need a stick but the Xbox 360 is considered to be one of the worst pads for fighting games.

I play ST, 3S, SF4, and 5 with a 360 pad. I don't really see the issue.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

bhsman posted:

I tried it and hated it; most people bag on the dpad a lot.

In either case: Yeah, you can make it work, but that's been my experience and what I've read elsewhere.

I don't use the dpad, that sounds miserable.

For advice, get what you're comfortable with and whatever would work best with the set ups you plan to play on.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zand posted:

edit: oh wait you play on the analog stick? wtf

Yes, the analog stick is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

One thing that shocks me a little is that the season pass doesn't even include the stages. That's pretty shocking given that the season pass is $30.

Since all the DLC characters in the season pass can be had with just fight money, that means the season pass is only there so you can get the DLC characters' premium costumes. This means that it'd be cheaper just to buy each of their premium costumes individually assuming each of the six characters' costume is still 4 dollars.