Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

cams posted:

even if legacy controllers functioned perfectly, they should still be banned for the dual shock requirement and the fact that you gotta go digging into menus to sync them. tournaments need to run smooth.

Sat right now at an event irl having a good laugh at the organisers trying to explain how legacy sticks work every few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Most people probably don't have time to stay until like 1am after the tournaments finish to play casuals on a weekday. The gently caress is the obsession with weeknights for events.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

At what ranked level do people stop disconnecting when they lose

At the rank of 'Not in the USA'.

Literally not had a single one over like 40 hours online matching.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I straight up can't do footsies.

I assume I get the idea but I stick out a limb when they're just walking into range and always lose the trade. I don't know what else to do. :(

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

You're doing the footsies wrong. You cannot stick a limb into a place where they are going to be and have them enter that space and still beat you. There are a few options to explain what's happening to you:

1) The move you're doing is so slow that they have entered the space already and hit you with their move before it comes out, in which case you either need to press the move even faster or pick a better move.
2) The move you're doing doesn't actually reach to the space where you think it does, so the opponent is sticking out their move and hitting your move with it. Pick a better move or change your mental definition of where the right space is.
3) The move that the opponent is doing as they enter the space where your move is alters their hurtbox such that it exits the space (think of it as if you do a sweep and they do a move that makes them hop over the sweep). In this case you're being outfootsied, and must git gud.

I appreciate the breakdown, it helps, I know it's git gud so I guess I'll watch the replays and see what was happening.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

capcom came out and said they are working on fixing rage quits and will fix the game soon but starting next week they will take action against the worst offenders even before the game is fixed. they need video evidence on youtube or twitch archive to punish people and they say it will be severe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KJbrI7K6w8

I can't be the only one thinking it's real easy to edit in the rage quit error screen at the end of any match.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

What a coincidence! I just uploaded pt2 of my footsies series, and it's about shimmying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhlN-d6rN-A

Another post saying thanks for this, for all the benefits of 'pro' player tutorials (Gootecks and Floe in particular) they need to learn that pre-planning and a bit of script makes these much better.

Also not being high or hungover but that's Gooey for you.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Is it just me or does it seem like Mika is in some weird abusive relationship with Nadeshiko, she comes up at the end of the match and starts beating on her real hard and Mika looks at her like wtf stop that you mentalist. Then a wink and it's all happy again.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I really hate Ryu HK, I'd love to crush counter your obvious pokes but sorry they don't have hitboxes 2 feet above your head.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Do you always end your srks at 6? Seems like a bad habit

Does this apply if you want to do c.HP xx H DP xx Super?

Everything I've read or been told is you should use the DP to buffer into the super, but if you do that you get c.HP xx Super a lot of the time in this game.

I've had the same issue as the guy before, I found that down back heavy into neutral into DP works more reliably.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

The fact that a game is required to be offline to play is the real fuckup

Not sure if this is a joke or I've just entered bizarro world.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
What about silent buttons/sticks?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Booyah- posted:

This is equally unsubstantiated but there are also rumors that Balrog is after Alex.

Is there anything more than a PR rep saying that he's played Balrog at Capcom HQ then people assuming Balrog must be the first second DLC character?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Double tap the second button and it's much easier, medium to medium link is basically the same with every character so it's not really bison specific.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
So if Laura lands her elbow charge thing, what can I do to avoid eating a command grab that isn't churn out DP?

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 5, 2016

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I swear I held up during it and just stuck to the ground and got grabbed every time. I need a how to fight Laura video apparently.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Mash jab.

She's at +2 after the elbow and command grab is 6 frames. So if you mash a three frame jab you'll get her.

I played some guy for about 20 matches (and lost all but like 2) but this was the conclusion I came to in the end. It's really hard being on the bronze/silver cusp and then playing sets against people who know how to play with characters you've just never seen played correctly.

I've started keeping notes of the things I learn in each match up to hopefully not forget things after dumbing down for ranked, it seems to help me so I'd recommend others do the same.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Golem II posted:

I try practicing but the computer doesn't play like people do.

Pick Ryu/Ken and do medium DP constantly (I mean don't stop until you finish survival). Congrats you beat survival.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Golem II posted:

That doesn't work

Here's a video of somebody doing it for all 100 stages of extreme survival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcLyvS1OBTM

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
That's irrelevant, it works on every character because the AI is awful (at least on normal).

To answer the original question, you shouldn't stop playing but it does kinda seems like you are trying to find an excuse to.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

man nurse posted:

People should try and enjoy things a little more, when it comes to video games they are playing, imo

No but don't you see, the game is fun, it's just not good ~ literally a thing posted in this thread.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Zand posted:

yeah, I posted that. what don't you get about this statement? have you never played fgs before this or something? direct competition between two players is inherently fun, at least for me. if the engine is snappy, responsive, and nuanced, it can be even more fun. but this same game could have glitches, balance issues, or design decisions that preclude it from ever coming close to being "good"

They are in no way related to specifically fighting games.

A games purpose is to be fun, if it's fun it can't be bad. It can be not as good which is entirely personal preference, but it's only bad if it fails to be fun.

Treating your opinion on how good something is as objective truth is retarded.

Good job on the attempt to exclude me as an outsider who hasn't played a fighting game before, guess I forgot my required FGC ID card to understand fun.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Pomp posted:

have you never played or watched Marvel vs Capcom 3

Yes to both?

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Lots of people find tic-tac-toe to be fun.

I doubt lots but what's your point? That those people are wrong because you don't like it?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

If they think tic-tac-toe is a good/interesting/whatever competitive game, they are wrong.

It's very interesting as it's fundamentals are the base of every competitive game that exists. I'm obviously wrong but I find the Game Theory stuff really interesting.

I think you'd struggle to find somebody who would say it's fun though.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

holy poo poo thats great.

Can't wait for the PC mod.

Just needs Dark Donald now for the full Mugen effect.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Faffel posted:

Capcom aren't very good at thinking

Much better to split your player base for next to no reason when everybody is complaining about match-making already.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Dias posted:

I'm looking forward to playing (against) burly Laura.

Birdie 2.0

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

I don't know how you mean this, but all this does is make me so excited.

Because Birdie is fun as gently caress and I'm still surprised by how hard I turned around on him from first thoughts.

Big normals, specials (well, v-skill) that move him across the screen with armor, jump across screen into command grab, regular command grab.

Birdie with Guard Crush!

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Arzachel posted:

Isn't Hobo from Sheffield? If so, that is a great suggestion for way more reasons than just the internet.

Best be talking about some wierd US Sheffield. Steel city best city. :colbert:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

Why does necali not have a skeleton? I noticed when he gets shocked there isn't one there.

Is he some kind of mud / slime monster like Ted Cruz?

Well his 'story' mode seems to indicate he's some kinda animated statue/demon thing rather than a person. How that fits in with his regular look I've no idea.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Gold Dust Gasoline posted:

What's the trick to canceling Ryu's Shoryu into Critical Art?
I can't do the Critical Art input fast enough!

I can only do it off of Solar Plexus Strike due to its massive buffer time.

Here's a video explaining the concept behind the above answers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyJ__KbHKGk

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Arzachel posted:

You're going to get jabbed out of startup if they quickrise

Why would this happen? Surely that's only if you don't land it meaty?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Zophar posted:

I don't understand why when I lose it's almost always ~ 66 LP off my total but every win is only about +35 back on. I haven't been able to identify any sort of logic or consistency to it.

You are losing to people worse than you and beating people even worse than them.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Being basic or not has nothing to do with 'defining the meta game', it's about whether it defines the meta game, which at the moment it does.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It's the start up of his clothesline move I think.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Anybody know what Alex inputs are like? I'm a scrub who can't 720 or handle most charge characters so I'd like to know whether I can get excited to play him tonight.

Movelist would be nice.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Baal posted:

Flash Chop QCF + P
Flash Elbow back charge to forward + P
Stomp Down charge to up + K
Knee dive Dragon Punch Motion + K
Headbutt Back charge to forward + P
Power Bomb HCB + P

You know Alex now

Thanks, I can handle Necalli so hopefully Alex shouldn't be too bad.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

They both have charge moves but they seem to be situational rather than their focus.

This is important to me because I'm poo poo at knowing whether I've got charge or not, so I can at least play them semi-functionally while I try and get that in my head.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 30, 2016

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It is annoying as poo poo when laura's projectile stops you walking back when it's half a screen away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Well obviously it's not tech, it's just annoying.