Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

darealkooky posted:

I didn't mean so much the animation as their mechanics. At the end of the day ball and electric are just honda headbut/hands but more annoying. This is where you post a bunch of shotos and own me I guess but blanka has never done it for me.

Blanka’s gone a long way from basically being a Bad version of Honda in SF2. With all the extra mobility options and what-not and a removed emphasis on keeping charge compared to big E. He’s... still not very good but he’s in the same boat Alex is in that it’s just his kit sucks and has no synergy with itself and there’s nothing they can do about it outside completely remaking him for SFV. (Or just completely overpowering his normals like CvS2 so it doesn’t matter how bad everything else is, I guess)

Which, I mean, they’ve done for characters already in V so maybe it’s finally Blanka’s time. There’s no reason we had to have gotten ‘3S but with stuff missing’ trash garbage Alex instead of some kind of revamp that actually made him a playable character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Futuresight posted:

From memory Blanka was much more fun to play than Honda in SF2 because of his movement and normals. It's also weird to say Blanka was redundant because he shares specials with a character when Ryu and Ken exist.

Blanka is ‘fun’ compared to Honda in SF2 because Honda’s entire play style is based around the down-back position and controlling space around himself EXTREMELY well. In the SF2 games, Honda’s comedy-tier matchup chart is always like 7-3/8-2 against character that have to approach him, and 3-7/2-8 against characters that get to throw fireballs at his husky butt all day (and don’t get punished on reaction by Honda’s low quick jump- sorry HF Chun)

Blanka’s faster foot speed and... well, overall worse buttons for covering against attacks means Blanka is usually a much more offensive character. That’s is a problem when he’s a Charge character who has to approach. His great foot speed always helped, as did his big buttons, but his high jump was always a liability, electricity has to be one of the jankiest Hit/hurtboxes in SF2 (usually not in Blanka’s favor) and the fact he has a hard time holding a charge while doing anything else he wants to do is... bad. Real bad.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

Pretty sure Zangief bear hugged

Why not both? (Zangief did both. Zangief has a LOT of normal throws in SF2)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Goodpart posted:

It's not. Light ball is the only safe-ish one due to pushback and even then, moves like YZeku slide, dic scissor kick and mmmmmost supers will reach it.

The trick is to apply pressure with electricity and then work from the frametrap. crmk xx elec, stlp xx light ball is an obvious safe pressure string but it's got gaps and is only safe in theory. Best option is to confirm from the jab, mix up your options with things like command grab, EX electricity or nothing at all, or just use it more when you get VT2 since then ball becomes properly safe

He's really fun but has mmmmmaybe the worst buttons in the game which is saying something given how loving awful most buttons are. His crmp is great but that's honestly it.

That's really saying something because usually Blanka's whole thing is "hey my entire kit is a giant pile of unsynergystic badly-designed trash but at least my buttons are huge and good."

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Goodpart posted:

It still kinda is. On the upside his command grab is scary and the threat of it gets people twitching. On the downside there's no reason that I can see to ever use any of his ball moves other than the LP horizontal ball and EX up ball. Honestly I've had really good success just using electricity as a constant pressure tool and jumping around like an idiot

The worst part is that with all the changes characters in V this was the perfect chance to finally fix Blanka even if it was just finally getting charge motions loving out of his command list, but instead he got the Alex treatment of characters really needing some design revamps getting ported straight while Vega’s now a stance character because reasons.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Zand posted:

??charge motions make sense for blanka and allow him to have instant activation moves like blanka balls be balanced properly around the charge input requirement

That’s be buyable if Blanka balls haven’t been poo poo except cancel fodder in literally every incarnation except CvS2 where he had the protection of roll canceling. The fact of the matter is Blanka is a positioning and mobility based scrapper with the half of his kit that works except the other half of it forces him to stop moving to charge to do damage most of the cast to get for free and the tools he has for positioning mid-charge grossly inferior for both positioning and attacking compared to Blanka’s closest counterpart (Bison)

I’m not saying just make Blanka balls qcf and call it a loving day. I’m saying fix this loving character who’s been trash garbage in 13 of his 14 loving appearances I can think of off the top of my head.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 23, 2018

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Reiley posted:

Charge characters with good buttons can hold back while pushing their good buttons and then push forward and press a button after like two good buttons land. I'm no historian on Blanka affairs but is he or Street Fighter somehow different in a way where the above doesn't work easily?

And that's the way it does work for most characters. The problemis that Blanka has never particularly worked well this way because he lacks a lot of things his counterparts have. Balrog's Rushing Punches and Bison's Scissor Kicks can be safe on block when you use the right button at the right range and tend to beat things they run into whereas Blanka balls are classically unsafe and get blown up by anything generating hitboxes. Guile, Vega, and Bison have normals that do both minor and major positioning changes, letting them move somewhat while holding a charge (Blanka would eventually get a slide, but he can't even use it while retaining a back charge.) E.Honda has invincibility on the start of his headbutts and his normals are basically built to sit in the charge positions. Balrog basically has the best buttons of nearly any game he's in AND can usually link them even at reach to damage.

Blanka's buttons are good but they aren't so good that they really enable him to just sit at 1/3 distance or whatever and just play Bad Dhalsim with long arms and legs when he can't stick any damage. A lot of the buttons he can actually convert are short-ranged (cl.MK and cl.FP are usually two of his best attacks and his primary combo starters, whereas the only longer-reaching attack Blanka gets that's *sometimes* cancellable is cr.MK) and Blanka lacks ways to get into range of them while retaining a charge besides jumping. Even Electricity is much worse for Blanka then the other mash specials because Honda and Chun can at least convert mid-ranged pokes to extra damage, but Electricity means Blanka needs to be sitting directly on top of someone AFTER resolving buttons to get damage.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Actually, trends have Sagat being a broken shitlord in the first installment of any new SF series, so I doubt V will be any different. I expect 30F Fireballs, a V-trigger where he shoots 'em at both heights at the same time, and a stand MK what somehow generates a hitbox 2/3s of the way across the screen and is cancellable on whiff.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Falke looks real interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Goddamn shame about those animations though. This might be the most amateur-tier effort in SFV yet. She just looks like she's going through some really dull motions with her... er, motions. Also, nothing about her personality, at least what we see of it so far, matches her visual design, but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Oh awesome, I've seen/read a bunch of these guides but didn't know you were a goon - thanks so much for these, I really appreciate the straightforward way they're written.

Ranked update: Super Bronze and hovering around the 1000-1200 range consistently. Every Ultra Bronze I've fought lately I've come pretty close to winning which is comforting, but have been let down by execution or match-up unfamiliarity.
Working on getting some combos into my muscle memory but finding the link timing challenging, though double tapping is helping with that a bit - most of the fighters I've played recently have had gatling or cancel systems so I'm used to a certain degree of dialling in a combo that SFV doesn't let me get away with.

This is also where I start wanting to play other characters even though I know it's probably better for me to just stick with Sagat and knuckle down on learning him. It's not that I don't enjoy Sagat, more that this game has a lot of cool characters.

Nah. This is exactly the right time to dabble in some other characters. You've seen them now through other people using them on you- when one grabs your eye, take a quick tour through training mode to see if you'll have fun piloting it, then give it a whirl and see what it can do against other people. If nothing else, the experience will give you a better grasp for what your opponents USING said characters will be trying to do, and can inform your own tactics the next time you find yourself across them. And who knows, maybe your Street Fighter darling is still out there, waiting to be found. You're not cheating on Sagat if you're not going steady yet, play the field.

I'd really only argue against it if you're still having some major execution troubles with 'your' character's basics still. I don't play Sagat so I dunno how hard his moment-to-moment execution is but the wrong time to walk away from a character you want to focus on is when you're still flubbing easy, reliable B&B combos (not necessarily a character's BEST bread and butters, but the easy ones everyone falls back on in tense uncertain situations) and easy links and setups. Basically, if you don't think you can walk away for a week and come back and still pull off stuff that'll keep you competitive at Super Bronze, maybe wait a bit.