Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah I have tried and failed twice on level 30 for Zangief survival normal. I thought he was the guy that I wanted to learn street fighter with but I am finding even just playing casual matches that anyone with common sense just keeps me at range. I cannot close down on the enemy well enough to inflict enough damage. As the round goes on I get more frustrated and take stupid risks and am quickly punished. Maybe I need to pick a more generic fighter to get some of the basic stuff down with.

edit- Also I am going out to find a Hori Fighting Pad thing. I am pretty sure Hori is Japanese so hopefully a local electronics shop has something because it takes forever to get something sent to Japan from the US.

The Fighting Commander 4 is the one you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Bisse posted:

I want this thing as well, but will the PS4 one work on PC as well?

It works pretty well for me. I haven't run into anything it won't work with, although sometimes you have to set it to PS3 mode instead of PS4 to get it to work or vice versa.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Imo all the new female characters from sf4 and forward are extremely uninspired character designs. It's all weird rear end buttpants and/or cleavage plus funky hair.

Poison gets a pass (but she's not exactly new) and Decapre is Cammy clone with a mask :downs:

To be fair, Decapre also existed prior to SF4 just only in story and comic stuff. Also, according the story she's a Cammy clone along with Juni and Juli (they were in Alpha 3 but they also look a lot like Cammy clones). That still doesn't make it come off any less lazy, but at least there's a pre-existing story reason for the similarity in appearance.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Renoistic posted:

Are there any decent sticks compatible with PC?

I have an Eightarc that works with both PS3 and 360, and I've had no problems using it on the PC.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

croutonZA posted:

Anyone managed to import one of the newer Hori Fighting Commander pads? This one: http://www.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-for-playstation-4-playstation-3/13/709efx

I'm looking for some impressions. I've been using one of those madcatz SF4 pads for the longest time but the dpad is starting to go and I think this would be a good replacement.

If it's anything like the Fighting Commander 4 it should be the best d-pad only controller on the market. Also, you don't need to import it: Amazon

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

croutonZA posted:

Oh cool, I didn't know Amazon had it. I'm not from the US so either way is importing it but Amazon's shipping is usually a bit cheaper. Thank you.

Yeah, Hori's gotten a bit better about having an international presence in the past couple of years. A lot more of their stuff is available on sites that aren't Play-Asia.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Madcosby posted:

so if im ordering a joystick for pc, what do i want to look for so that i can just plug it in and play sf5? I dont want to mess with joy2key or xinput or whatever

If it's compatible with a 360 you should be good. I know the Qanbas and Eightarcs that are PS3/360/PC also work as well as I'm using an eightarc to play SFV.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Butyraceous posted:

I have been doing that, I know how to do the inputs, it just feels like the controller is really imprecise when I'm trying to mash poo poo out. Basically what I'm asking is, does a stick make that more precise or is it all a matter of practice?

Because I just don't know how you can do a Z shape within moments after jumping.

What controller are you using. If it's the 360 Dpad I would recommend buying a different controller. If it's the PS4 Dpad then buying a stick isn't going to make an immediate difference and in fact you'll probably be worse on the stick than you currently are on the controller, until you adjust to it. 95% of the time, practice is the only thing that's going to make your inputs more consistent.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Dracula Factory posted:

I wish they would just give cammy a decapre skin, I think it's a cool design. I also wish they would make a grown-up sakura that's trying to do the same kung-fu hobo routine like ryu, but this is being made by a japanese company so I'm sure she'll be dressed like a schoolgirl well into her 30's.

I think Ono has come out and said Sakura will never not be a schoolgirl. And she may not be in the game, as due the timeline she'll be grown up.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

the game knows i'm in nyc but gives the wrong local time

Me too, I'm in Chicago and get Eastern time.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Aww man, now I just want a Steam port of Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

JackDarko posted:

The kid who played T Hawk in SFIV has such an amazing R. Mika. He practically beat all the good NY players this Wednesday on battle circuit.

Yeah, Native Impact is ridiculous, and R. Mika seems to really suit his playstyle. I also think everyone else getting bopped had a lot to do with matchup knowledge, as he was the first good Mika I've seen on any of the East Coast streams.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

who cares v-sync does nothing of value either way

Does tearing not bother you?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Night Blade posted:

I'd rather deal with tearing than deal with input lag.

Hey, tearing might distract people from Ken's banana hair and Alex's french fry hair.

I'd rather have a game that was programmed by competent people. If anything, Capcom needs to hire all the people that worked on the MGSV PC port, assuming Kojima hasn't already scooped them all up for his new studio.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Eh, I'm sure we'll see a patch for it. It kinda seems like they are replacing the Super/Ultra new versions thing that they did with Street Fighter IV with the Fight Money Store and patches. I hope the game-as-platform thing pans out for them. If nothing else, I really love watching this franchise on the pro esports tier, so obviously I'd like that to continue.

Mike Z said in the comments of the Event Hubs post that a patch might not be possible depending upon why the input lag exists. If it exists for the reasons he believes it does, it would take recreating SFV from scratch to get rid of the lag.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I want a game that explains the basic functions of its own mechanics. Parsing youtube videos and forums was fine when CVS2 released, it's pathetic that that's still the only resource for information on a new release in TYOOL 2016.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Yeah, I know they're coming, it's just pathetic they weren't their at launch. Really everything missing at launch was a pretty pathetic omission. I think everyone and their brother would've much rather had actual lobbies, an actual tutorial, actual side modes, and an online system that punished ragequitters rather than the most in-depth replay system ever seen in a fighting game. Lord knows reviewers would not have been making posts saying "Don't buy this game" if the replay and stat-tracking systems were shipped incomplete.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

burger time posted:

The stat tracking systems did ship incomplete lol

Jesus, what did they get right outside of the basic gameplay system?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

attackmole posted:

My second least favourite word is "oki" because I hate seeing white people adopt pidgin Japanese for no reason :colbert:. But yeah, that at least makes a little more sense gameplay wise.

I think most people use it just cause it's quicker than saying "pressure on wakeup" everytime. Of course, the guys that say Okizeme kinda invalidates my point. But that's at least the reason I use it.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

If there are three things I unironically love in this life it's fighting games, language theory, and gifs of 1980s anime. This thread fuckin' delivers.

Thank you. Thank you all.

This guy gets it. Now if only there was a mod to make all ragequitters watch a Fist of the North Star gif right before their LP gets depleted.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Has there been a F2P model for fighting games that hasn't been garbage yet

Was KI that bad, I heard most people were pretty satisfied with it, at least for a first attempt in the fighting game genre.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

croutonZA posted:

What's the chances this stage is just a variation of the existing ones? Like Kanzuki Estate during the day or something.

Highly likely.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

darealkooky posted:

tekken tag 2 had like 14 post launch characters that were all free, maybe thats the only fighting game he's ever played

Tekken and Harada are the exception not the norm.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Corbeau posted:

CapCom listed the full DLC character release schedule. IIRC it's exactly in order of images, though Guile and Balrog might be reversed.

You got a link, because everywhere I've read says that the actual release order is still up in the air?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zand posted:

i don't make any claims to be good at this game, i'm okay with being bad at a game as unfun and terrible as this one. well... i felt that way before... but after capcom announced that this game being bad at first was actually part of their plan to create a living, breathing game that grows over time I feel as if maybe I've made a mistake by not getting in on the ground floor and learning it in its current, awful state. if only I had known it was purposefully released in this state so that it could eventually be good relative to the launch version I would have been all over it...

Why do you spend so much of your personal time discussing a game you dislike and don't really play? Are you just at worked and bored, or what? This is a serious question, not a flamebait.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Dracula Factory posted:

I mean I fixed it in 10 minutes by changing some .inis so that's probably not true.

That fix still doesn't bring the input lag down to where it was for Ultra Street Fighter IV or any other fighting game for that matter. I think the issue is decreasing the input lag after you've removed the vsync issues, that's where the engine rewrite issues come up.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

I don't know if 8f of lag is the deciding factor but the game is just slow because it's Street Fighter. They all are

SF II is not a slow game.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Dracula Factory posted:

As much as we talk about how big a flop this game is, aren't there still record numbers of EVO registrants and all that?

Yeah, it's got over 4,000 at this point. I think the problem is that this only really means good things for Evo and Twitch, not so much Capcom. Especially since a lot of the reason given for this huge number is that everyone from every other scene has registered for the SFV tournament, not so much people entirely new to the FGC.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ultramega posted:

I've always wanted to get better at street fighter, mainly so I could play with friends and not get crushed but the one thing that's really held me back is the feeling that I'm just not progressing and no changeup in tactics or mindset seems to be working. Eventually I just get burnt out after getting destroyed about 7 or 8 rounds in a row. And yet I continue coming back trying to learn the basics I already forgot 3-4 months ago. Probably doesn't help that almost all of my fighting game experience is with 3D fighters like Tekken/Virtua Fighter/Dead or Alive. I'm guessing just harden the gently caress up and have another go at it? Love the beginner post btw, I didn't know you could do little things like set multiple recordings of movesets for the dummy to do.

Find a local scene of people to play with, fighting online will burn you out especially if you're trying to learn a game, what with the frequency of lovely matches and the downtime between matches.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

They already said they're not doing super/ultra etc and sticking with incremental updates to SFV

They also said that prior to release before the game tanked.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Does anyone know where Capcom's art team disappeared to after the Alpha series, Darkstalker series, or Third Strike? Capcom's current art team is a bit garbage in comparison. See - Alex's current design.

I don't really have a source for this, but I know a lot of people that worked in the Japanese gaming industry in the 90s, especially people that worked on 2d games/sprite work have almost all left the industry, or are working at niche places like Arc System Works.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So...just a few days left in May. have they announced May's DLC fighter? Or are they actually going to hold off til Combo Breaker and say "They're out now!" ?

Unless the Combo Breaker announcement is for the money store or a release date for the full story mode I can't think what else it would be. And both those would be super underwhelming if not combined with a character announcement.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

what was the ps1 era fighting game that had a dude who had a chainsaw and a gun, he fired the gun with the taunt button i think

i cannot for the life of me figure out what this game was

I haven't looked it up to confirm, but that sounds like Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. which was put out by Midway.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Wait so are we just not getting Balrog any more?

Welp, gently caress this game.

Nope, apparently there have been three different release schedules according to different fact sheets. Like the big sheet explaining the rollout of DLC has the characters in a different order than the image of silhouettes which also has a different release than what's implied by the text in the Season Pass description.

Corbeau posted:

So, when's Soul Calibur 6?

My guess, and this is purely speculation based on nothing at all, is that they'll release Tekken 7 stateside and then start the PR cycle for the next Soul Calibur which will then be followed by Tekken X Street Fighter. Who knows, maybe we'll get Rolento in Soul Calibur or some weird poo poo. What other Street Fighter guys would fit in a Soul Calibur setting or even have weapons as their main tool (Cody, Poison, Decapre, or maybe Eagle)?

Help Im Alive posted:

How did you reach that conclusion

I think he meant not getting Balrog as the next character, not that we were never gonna get Balrog ever.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 31, 2016

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Dodgeball posted:

Mortal Kombat X?

Pretty much the only thing they got right, from what I understand.

You mean Mortal Kombat, MKX's story mode was definitely a step down from the previous game. That being said, if SFV had a quarter of MKX's single player content it would do wonders for the game. God, imagine if something like the Krypt existed in SFV. Man the more I think about the recent NRS games the more obvious it is how much of a complete and total fuckup SFV has been.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Arzachel posted:

Only if you disable vsync to make the game slightly less poo poo

No, that's not true either. Even default PC settings have different input delay compared to PS4, according to Fourwude.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why didn't Capcom just use GGPO then if that was such an issue with them?

Because Japanese developers have too much pride to admit they're behind the curve of global game design, have been for a while, and continually drop the ball with every opportunity they have to catch up. Ono needs to pull the stick out of his rear end and see the brightside of outsourcing and middleware. Hell, even Kojima is intelligent enough to realize having everything be proprietary and in-house is a great way to destroy a budget.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

apple posted:

What kills me is how many people eat it all up, like you're supposed to shut up and "git gud" instead of expecting a good product.

I think this comes from "pro players" who have a very vested interest in the financial success of this game. Then they see all this bad press, and they defend it in desperate attempt to make the game that could potentially catapult their careers seem better than it actually is.

Basically, anyone who would benefit from the financial success of this game and the CPT, is someone whose opinion I would take with a very large grain of salt.

At this point, I think the only way Capcom can save this sinking ship is by doing a Diablo III/Final Fantasy XIV-style overhaul/revamp. Anything short of that, and this game will continue to be the laughing stock of 2016.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 15, 2016

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

It also says in the blog post that Juri and Urien will be playable in this update in story mode, whatever that will entail. Big update indeed, I barely play the game now and I'll probably buy the beach background

I'm thinking the story mode will do some Mortal Kombat style thing where you switch who you're playing as the story dictates rather than choosing a character and playing through their respective story mode. By allowing Juri and Urien to be playable it means they're probably releasing the final version of the story mode now and won't updated it any when Juri and Urien actually release. But again, this is all just speculation on my part, so who knows the real reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

attackmole posted:

Yeah I mean people get sick of it because it derails the thread and usually amounts to the same rehashed arguments, not because it's not valid, SA's usually pretty smart about this kind of stuff as far as internet communities go. But there's a certain point where people kinda blow it off in the FGC that's disconcerting to me, it's like people who've been playing fighting games for long enough get blind to the thing that half naked girls beating each other up is pretty juvenile to people uninitiated to the genre.

I know there's American companies with the issue too, but honestly I think a lot of it just stems from most FG's being made by niche Japanese companies. Japanese manufacturers are way more comfortable with making characters hypersexualized nerd bait.

I find it funny when games like Koihime Enbu which are literally based off of hentai have tamer costume designs than the girls in SFV. Though Koihime seems like the exception rather than the norm.