Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
:siren: Latest update is a rootkit or some poo poo. Google it and deal with it however you want. :siren:

Jack Trades posted:

Have you started SFV at any point during first 12 hours of the Urien update?
If no, then you're good. If yes then you need to delete Capcom.sys from your Windows/System32 folder.

As to what's going on. Capcom basically used a really lovely piece of software that opened a massive backdoor in everyone's system just to try to stop people from cheating in survival mode.

DolansCadillac posted:

Couldn't resist

:siren: IF YOU ARE NEW THERE ARE A TON OF NEWBIE RESOURCES FOR YOU IN THE THIRD POST! PLEASE READ IT AND ASK QUESTIONS IF YOU NEED HELP! :siren:

:siren: IF YOU ARE REALLY NEW TO FIGHTERS THERE IS A LOT OF GREAT INFORMATION IN THE FIGHTING GAME THREAD! THIS THREAD WILL TEACH YOU INFORMATION FOR ALL FIGHTING GAMES, NOT JUST STREET FIGHTER V. :siren:

Thread Table of Contents
1) Summary of the Video Game
2) News & Updates
3) Rookie Fighter Resources
4) Connecting with Goons! (GET ON DISCORD)

The newest installment of Street Fighter has a huge focus on competitive play. Everything is built to make sense to the viewer and the competitor, and even includes a solid ranking system for those that compete at home. In addition, the game features cross-platform play, meaning Playstation 4 users and PC users can play together online. With the new rollback netcode, this is one of the best online systems in a fighting game to date. There's a lot more that's new to SFV, here's a bunch of poo poo I put on a list:

- Revamped online with rollback netcode.
- Steady stream of DLC characters that you can earn by playing the game.
- Fighting system with less bullshit than the last one. No more Focus Attacks!
- Regular game updates, Capcom claims this will be the only version of SFV you'll ever have to buy.
- eSports! Everything is eSports! Capcom is going in on the tournament scene with the Capcom Cup!
- Cool and good soundtrack! #RASHIDOOOOO
- Wide variety of punchymans, from big punchyman to wall jumping punchyman to butt slappylady.

Truth be told, Street Fighter V is fun and good. Despite a rocky launch, Goons all over have been having a great time playing this particular video game. We have some newbie resources down below, and you're always welcome to ask us for help in this thread or on our Discord server, graciously set up by Giogadi. Be sure to thank him!

Much like our game, this thread is a work in progress. If you have any suggestions or ideas, definitely let me know!

Agoat fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

- Alex is here! He's a very fun character and worth a look if you enjoyed him in Third Strike. Our own Jmcrofts has a view videos up for him, give them a watch!
Alex Basics Guide // Alex V-System

- March update is here! (Both of them!) New colors and costumes are available for purchase.

- Real money shop has been delayed, and any characters released during the delay will be free until the shop arrives.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 2, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Before I jump into sharing a bunch of links, I believe it's important to note that fighting games are very unique from other games, and you'll spend a lot of time working to get better. You'll lose a ton of matches early on, and not everything will make sense. This is normal. Most players recommend picking Ryu or Chun-li as your first character because he will teach you all of the basic concepts of the game, like footsies, fireballs, and reversals. He has a great V-Skill that will also help you be mindful of the timing of your opponent's moves, called a "parry." I have personally seen a lot of people pick up Street Fighter and pick a unique character only to quit weeks later because they didn't learn the core concepts of fighting games. Please don't be one of these people, we want you to play with us, and we'll help you every step of the way. Fighting games are the most rewarding games to play, especially in local events. (Local events are amazing, and you should absolutely go. You'll learn so much.)

One last thing, new players should play friendly matches in Battle Lobbies to get started. Jump into our Discord server and ask around. Plenty of more experienced players will give you some 1-on-1 practice time to help you get started. Everyone is incredibly friendly and supportive, so don't be shy in asking us for help.

The Fighting Game Thread has a ton of great information on terms you'll see thrown around in this thread. Give it a read if you don't know what QCF or DP means.

Shoryuken.com is a great place to catch up on fighting game news. They also have an awesome eBook you can read to get a head start in your gameplay.

Here's a key to translate those tricky combos people keep posting. It's not hard to figure out combo notation, even if it looks intimidating. This guide is geared towards Street Fighter IV, so ignore anything about those awful Focus Attacks or whatever.

Jmcrofts posted:

Gonna link my guides for the new thread:

General tips for getting better:
How to Practice Hit Confirming
How to Practice Buffering
How to Improve Your Reactions Using Training Mode
Easy but powerful option select

Guides for fighting against specific characters:
R. Mika
Nash
Rashid

More coming soon!

HP: 1,000
    STUN: 1,000
    V-GAUGE: 600 (2 BARS)
Ryu's V-Skill is the Parry. With good timing, Ryu can negate an incoming attack and potentially open up the opponent for a counter-attack. In the right hands, this is a devastating move.

Trykt posted:

:siren:COMBO DUMP POST:siren:

Ryu practical combos into super. There are of course lots of other combos that technically exist but anything not listed here is probably a less optimal version of something already on the list.

Hit Confirm:
  • st.LP, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (fastest start up)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (strongest "normal" hit confirm)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx LK Tatsu xx Super (max range)
  • cr.LK~cr.LP xx HP SRK xx Super (starts low, fast)
  • cr.MK xx HP Hadoken xx Super (longest range "low" hit confirm)
  • st.MP, cr.MP xx HP Hadoken xx Super
  • f.HP xx HP SRK xx Super

V-Trigger Hit Confirm:
  • cr.MK xx V-Trigger, Super (low, works at max range of cr.MK)
  • st.MK xx V-Trigger, st.HP xx Super
  • st.MK xx V-Trigger, Super (max range)
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, Super (vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)

Full Punish:
  • CC st.HK, st.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (vs. standing only)
  • f.HP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (very slow startup)
  • cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (short range, great damage)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (medium range, medium damage)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx LK Tatsu, Super (max range, least damage)
  • HP SRK xx Super (fastest punish, medium range)

Misc:
  • st.LK xx LK Tatsu xx Super (whiff punish vs. standing only)
  • j.MP, Super (situational anti-air)
  • j.MK, st.MP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (guaranteed after deep or cross-up j.MK hits, big damage)

Note: Maybe this is the SF4 player in me talking but it really bugs me he doesn't have a way into super from anti-air SRK, not even early LP SRK juggle into Super, for some reason the opponent has no juggle points after they get hit by that. At least let me V-Trigger into juggle Super after if you wanna limit that but drat that really chaps my rear end.

Note 2: It occurred to me this is almost every practical combo Ryu has anyway (you basically put Super at the end if you have it) so I'll just throw in a few extra things that are worth learning/doing:

Other Good poo poo:
  • j.MP (2) xx air HK Tatsu
  • j.MP, EX SRK
  • f.HP, cr.HP xx EX Tatsu, EX SRK (corner only)
  • Charged V-Trigger Hadoken Guard Break, dash forward, b.HK combos from above
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, HP or EX SRK (corner only, vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)

Agoat fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 1, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

The Goon Spreadsheet can be found in this thread by Hydrocodone. There's also a link to the Discord server set up by Giogadi. Be sure to thank them both, we've gotten great use from them and it's helping all of us level up.

You can find the thread here.

The most important part of connecting with your fellow Goons is adding them in-game with your Capcom ID. This is the username you set up when you first launched your game. Your Steam ID and PSN username are largely irrelevant to this process. I recommend coordinating matches through the Discord server. Pop into the "Looking for Match" voice channel and chat up some players. No microphone is required, we just use it because you can opt in or out with ease.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 22, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

interrodactyl posted:

this is a joke right

Yes, and a placeholder

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

But at least it has a

Placeholder, fixed

Agoat fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 29, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

What's so great about arcade mode anyway

I feel like Survival Mode should have just been Arcade but with more levels. Not that I'll ever play it, but whatever.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2qRHc-Lvec

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Night Blade posted:

This particular series of Hori sticks are pieces of poo poo, but I am glad they introduced me to the Hayabusa stick variant which is what I use in all of my sticks now.

My problem with them, aside from the 15MS input lag (http://www.teyah.net/sticklag/results.html) is that the cases are too lightweight, and have a really cheap feel to them. The kuro buttons take too much effort to press. If that's your thing, great; if not - be prepared to have to buy 8 sanwa buttons. The extra buttons (PS button, share, etc) are located in an awkward spot that you can't see. In the first weeks of you using it you'll need to tilt the stick sideways to make sure you're press the right button. I also don't like the weird lunch tray shape of the stick, though that's just a personal nitpick.

I planned on using an Xbone controller and this converter for events but I have no idea what the delay is. Got any info on it?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

hiddenriverninja posted:

why do I keep on trying survivor hard when I know I will end up just paying for these colors

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Who all is going to CEO? It'd be cool to have a goon meet.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

I don't mind new players (although I don't think it's really fair to imply that this game has only been out for a week when on a basic level it plays like every other SF game and it's had multiple betas)

I do mind having to beat up a bunch of people (potentially discouraging them from ever getting good at the game) to find someone that's actually on my level

You have alternatives to ranked already. Get on Discord.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I put Ryu as the beginner character in the OP cause he has a simple reversal to understand that's easy to input. It's easy to get blown up throwing out YOLO reversals and I figured it'd be a good lesson to learn.

But if Chun is considered a good learning character despite the charge moves I'll add her in.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Pomp posted:

you get to learn that lesson as chun by spending a bar each time

Yeah, never thought about it that hard. I'll add her in.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Question is my computer good enough to play this. Because it runs like poo poo for me.

i5-4200 @ 2.50GHz
gtx 760m
8GB ram

Some of the lower settings run worse than higher ones. Tweak it a bit.

I came in third at a local tournament. Pretty happy about it.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

General Morden posted:

maybe don't have such a lovely attitude and maybe you'll win

drat. Calling him out on a post three pages ago.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL9WWmlBNQQ

This is a video of me being bad at videogames for about five matches.

Advice on how not to be bad at videogames would be appreciated greatly. I might do more if people are actually interested. (And actually fix my volume so you can hear me chatting about what I'm thinking while I play)

The big thing to note. The super comes out by accident almost every time.

1) Jump less
2) Random hyper less
3) Regular throws are a thing and can be a good mixup tool
4) Don't end strings in unsafe moves

I don't have any specific advice for Laura but that's a few things I gathered. Overall, don't put yourself out there to be punished. You also don't always have to be pressing a button.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Yorkshire hit me up on Discord if you're free tomorrow. I'll sit down with you and we can get some good practice going.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Should I replace the entire op with r mikas butt

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Microwaves Mom posted:

as nice as that would be I think its good as is. We do need to start putting links to helpful tutorials for people like me though in the OP.

I'm working on a big effort post. What are you having trouble with?

Also I'm always on Discord so anyone can DM there if they need help. I'll do training sessions or whatever, I just want to see us grow.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Microwaves Mom posted:

Sounds good, Like I know what v-trigger is but people talk about cancel and stealing v-trigger curious about that.

Cancels in regards to V-Trigger are when you interrupt one of your moves with activating your V-Trigger. It can allow you to do bigger combos or potentially make a move safer by allowing you to block earlier. In most cases it just cuts down recovery on a move that takes a little while to finish.

If you're confused about cancels in general, look at how Ryu can do Crouching MK into Hadoken. You'll notice you don't have to have specific timing, and that you have to input the Hadoken while you're doing the cMK. You are cancelling the recovery of the normal attack (cMK) into a special (Hadoken). Not all moves can be cancelled but it's good to know which ones can. I hope this makes sense.

I think Nash has a move that can steal V Trigger.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

http://tampaneversleeps.com/tns-6.html

Anyone going to be there this weekend?

I wanted to so bad but I couldn't get the day off.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Sarchasm posted:

:siren:CHECK YOUR loving PORTS, ASSHOLES:siren:

I've been struggling in the Super Bronze ghetto for the past week, winning thirty points here and there only to lose sixty the next match to teleporting Karin, and I was on the verge of just writing off online play entirely. After being matched up with the same Magical Disappearing Mika for the third time in a row I checked my TCP/IP settings and found out that they'd somehow been switched to dynamic IP. After fixing the problem I rocketed out of Super Bronze within the hour with a five or six game winstreak and I'm not even done for the night.

Anti-airs are a lot easier when characters don't go from grounded to the apex of their jump in one frame.

Links:

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/publishers/Capcom.htm
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

Flowchart Karin involves teleports. Definitely gonna check my ports when I get home.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Ports have nothing to do with the latency of a connection (outside of the differences between TCP/UDP) and everything to do with whether you can actually make the connection in the first place. If you started getting less laggy matches once you opened your ports, it's either confirmation bias or something hilariously wrong with their implementation.

I'd imagine it'd help with matchmaking times.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
If you're on PC just alt tab and flip the lag back on them. If Bison can reflect fireballs then I can reflect lag. :colbert:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Sarchasm posted:

That trick never worked for me. I'll be curious to try it out now that my connection is sorted.

It has for me. It's the reason I stopped playing ranked and just play lobbies.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Madcosby posted:

The steam reviews suggest people playing the pc game are really disappointed.

I've played it on the ps4, thought it was great, felt like good gameplay. Should I get it for the PC? Note, I dont have a ps4

A few features are missing but are coming soon. It's a fun game and it can be pretty accessible.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Guessing rear end in a top hat doesn't sound fun

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Any Florida Goons here? We have a scene in Winter Haven and I'll buy you a beer make it out here.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

the Gaffe posted:

So trying to actually learn this game, and I wanted a way to improve myself whilst I'm away from the computer. Figured memorizing frame data (mostly what moves can be punished upon block) via a flashcard app would be good way to do it. I started making gifs of attacks:

Album with Cammy's ground normals:
http://imgur.com/a/OptTq

The loop stops at the point where Ryu can start moving. Figured this is the amount of the animation you'd see when blocking before figuring out how to react.

Then I took these and made flashcards.

If I actually finish making them I'd want to just make it available for everyone, but I wish there was a decent flashcard app that supported animated gifs and was easy to access for everyone. Anki is mostly there except its phone version cost 25 dollars for some reason.

I'm still somewhat new to fighting games (well, actually trying to get good at them) so if anyone has any input on what type of flashcards would be useful, let me know.

Let me know if you need help with graphics or anything!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Dan succumbs to the Satsui no Hado for his V Trigger.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I was thinking about making a short video of how I play Ken. Would anyone be interested? If anything it'd be decent OP content.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

Are there PC mods other than the one that lets you watch R Mika's butt slap

There's one that lets you see Cammy's vegeta

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hey Agoat gimmie your digits in PM and I'll hit you up whenever i'm in your neck of the swamp

Sorry, just sent you a PM! It'd be cool to have you come out. Some of us could make a trip out to Tampa for whatever, too!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Trykt posted:

Some SF4 stuff I've had to unlearn:
-cr.mp is no longer a pressure normal, as it leads to nothing. Just looking at like frame data/hitboxes it's not bad but it doesn't fit into Ryu's gameplan anywhere except at the end of certain hit confirms/block strings.

Ken can work with cr.mp with his dash. It's really good and can go into tatsu or some other poo poo I haven't bothered with.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

Combofiend is nice in person too

Most of the people I met were nice to talk to

I walked past Mike Ross one time at CEO and he nodded at me like I had earned his respect walking past him to get to the ATM.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith posted:

Also is there some kind of glossary or something for the terms people use? I'd love to be able to understand the other half of this thread.

IT'S IN THE OP THAT I WORKED HARD ON PLEASE READ IT AAAAARGH

Edit: Also does anyone have the character portraits ripped from the game? Working on a thing for the OP.

Closest I have is this but they're not image files
http://pfunkk.deviantart.com/art/STREET-FIGHTER-V-CHARACTER-PORTRAITS-FIX-593432170

Agoat fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 29, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Revelant posted:

How will this work on mirror matches?

The mod I posted? Identical portrait for each side, just flipped.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Trykt posted:

:siren:COMBO DUMP POST:siren:

Ryu practical combos into super. There are of course lots of other combos that technically exist but anything not listed here is probably a less optimal version of something already on the list.

Hit Confirm:
  • st.LP, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (fastest start up)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (strongest "normal" hit confirm)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx LK Tatsu xx Super (max range)
  • cr.LK~cr.LP xx HP SRK xx Super (starts low, fast)
  • cr.MK xx HP Hadoken xx Super (longest range "low" hit confirm)
  • st.MP, cr.MP xx HP Hadoken xx Super
  • f.HP xx HP SRK xx Super

V-Trigger Hit Confirm:
  • cr.MK xx V-Trigger, Super (low, works at max range of cr.MK)
  • st.MK xx V-Trigger, st.HP xx Super
  • st.MK xx V-Trigger, Super (max range)
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, Super (vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)

Full Punish:
  • CC st.HK, st.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (vs. standing only)
  • f.HP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (very slow startup)
  • cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (short range, great damage)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (medium range, medium damage)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx LK Tatsu, Super (max range, least damage)
  • HP SRK xx Super (fastest punish, medium range)

Misc:
  • st.LK xx LK Tatsu xx Super (whiff punish vs. standing only)
  • j.MP, Super (situational anti-air)
  • j.MK, st.MP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (guaranteed after deep or cross-up j.MK hits, big damage)

Note: Maybe this is the SF4 player in me talking but it really bugs me he doesn't have a way into super from anti-air SRK, not even early LP SRK juggle into Super, for some reason the opponent has no juggle points after they get hit by that. At least let me V-Trigger into juggle Super after if you wanna limit that but drat that really chaps my rear end.

Note 2: It occurred to me this is almost every practical combo Ryu has anyway (you basically put Super at the end if you have it) so I'll just throw in a few extra things that are worth learning/doing:

Other Good poo poo:
  • j.MP (2) xx air HK Tatsu
  • j.MP, EX SRK
  • f.HP, cr.HP xx EX Tatsu, EX SRK (corner only)
  • Charged V-Trigger Hadoken Guard Break, dash forward, b.HK combos from above
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, HP or EX SRK (corner only, vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)

Added this to the OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Reorganized the OP and I have realized how massive it's going to get. I'll end up adding some sort of search thing with Ctrl + F once we have more character information up.