Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I sold my TE fightstick a couple months ago but I've got the fighting bug again. I'm doing OK on a cheap fight pad, but how's the MadCatz Alpha as a cheap/entry level stick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up getting a Qanba Q1 off eBay to get relatively cheap/fast shipping to the US.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

Whiffing normals can be good because it makes the opponent unable to walk forward without getting hit. Though obviously the slower a normal is (and how predictable you are with using it), the more likely you are to get whiff punished.

I'm going to be doing this. If you get hit, it's your own fault.

Okay, then I'm going to start kicking air like this.

...and if any part of you should fill that air, It's your own fault.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

lmao @ david sirloin

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

They're taking out a couple option selects, but I have a good one I think Capcom overlooked.

If you're in a situation where something bad happens, say "sorry," but mumble it so it almost sounds like "s'alright." If people blame you for the bad thing that happened, it comes out as an apology. If people blame themselves, it will come out as a reassuring "s'alright."

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

People like to post long lists of bnb combos for characters, but as a complete beginner, how does one work on introducing that into gameplay? Lots of training mode? If so, which ones do people tend to work on first?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

What is Ryu saying when he throws fireballs with his V Trigger active?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

That'd be Ryu (Pronounced Rye-oo)

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Found another Option Select, but it only really works in local multiplayer. Tell your opponent that you want to play for a specified amount of money. If they accept and you lose, claim you were just kidding. If they accept and you win, demand payment.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

My favorite move is dragon punch

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

How many ranked losses have you racked up?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Do runbacks affect ranked points at all or does it just mean you get rematched with the same player?

e: dunno how I messed that up

dhamster fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 30, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Only a full hour late!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Does that "mod medium/hard survival to one round" trainer still work post-patch?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Poison Jam posted:

I've had this game for 2 weeks now and I still haven't won a single loving fight and I'm sick of what seems to me like being stunlocked (although it's not but that's how it feels) and maybe getting to land one or two punches if I'm lucky. Is there any hope for me because I'm starting to hate the game and I know it's not the game it's me and it's so frustrating :smith:.

Try uploading a replay? Or share your CFN ID so that we can look at your replays. Maybe one of us can hop on in a game with you to give some tips in real time.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

What's the verdict on those Brook converters? I kinda want to use my X360 stick in local play, the people there are playing on PS4

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Well, I'm sold, but is there any reason the X360->PS4 super converter wouldn't work with a Qanba Q1?

It's not listed in the list of compatible sticks: http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/22846686/

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Sarchasm posted:

For the life of me I can't figure out what Bro Ken has to do with Safety Not Guaranteed.

http://timetraveler.ytmnd.com/

e: I guess the sound doesn't work anymore? Well, this is the music that used to be on that page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D-QD_HIfjA

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I tried learning Dhalsim last night and enjoyed it once I started to figure his buttons out. Some of his offensive tricks seem to be relatively difficult to execute though.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

What's with 11-15 changing hair/skin colours

Ken is dark skinned in a few of his variants

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Wasn't there a site posted awhile back that had a bunch of matchup stats, and you could look up your player profile to see your win rates against different characters? I don't remember what it was called.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

dangerdoom volvo posted:

honestly the best feeling in this game is beating people with alt colors because they wasted all their loving time playing survival like idiots and now you lost

Unless they modded the game to make Survival last one round..

Golem II posted:

Cause nerds can't stop giving her money for seeing her cleavage. Twitch needs to get rid of these people but won't cause it brings traffic to their site.

lmao twitch must please ban all people with tits from streaming due to the unfair advantage it creates

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

As Ryu I often end up in a situation where my opponent hangs out at a range where if I throw a fireball, they can jump over it or use some kind of special on reaction, and it'll connect before I can block or use an anti-air. Backing up doesn't always seem like a great idea, since it might mean I end up getting bulldogged into a corner. But closing the distance doesn't seem like a great idea either.. am I supposed to bait their anti-fireball tech out somehow and punish?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-YOH2jgc68&t=41s

This may not look like much, but I'm still relatively new to FGs and I think this is one of the first times I identified someone doing really predictable stuff and was able to adjust and get in consistent punishes. What are some things I should be mixing in to my gameplay? I feel like the MP->HP->HK isn't the best punish, but it's the easiest one for me to pull off.

e: I was flailing around weirdly at the end of round 2 because I couldn't figure out the taunt command

dhamster fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 14, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Agreed, I really don't go for anti-airs as much as I should. I think part of it is I am trying to get out of the habit of throwing out random shoryukens, which tends to puts me in a bad spot. I'll work on it with a jump-in dummy.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

Do Shoryukens count as jumps? :v:

Uh... I could record some but there's not much to look at beyond button mashing and doing hadoukens over and over.

Doesn't matter--post a video and we should be able to give you at least some basic tips.

This video series is a pretty good introduction to 2D fighting games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cFs5mHQC4
jmcroft's channel has some good tips specific to Street Fighter V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fId0IjLrLE

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Corbeau posted:

I wish Fraps worked with SFV. I posted replay IDs and nobody bothered to say anything. :(

OBS works if you run it as an administrator

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Phoenix Skull Death is easy to execute, just do the pretzel motion twice and unhook your controller

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

7th button ragequits, of course

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Alright so currently we have ryu the ryu, ken the offensive ryu, guile the charge ryu, charlie the non-charge guile/non-charging charge ryu... but when are we getting a charge guy who shoots hadoukens instead of sonic booms? These are the questions we should really be asking Capcom.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

LEAKED! Next month's new character:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Fun fact: the very first build of the Unreal Engine was written for a COMPAC Sabdi computer. Rearranging the letters in COMPAC Sabdi, you can see that it spells capcom is bad

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

StabMasterArson posted:

I'm bad at this game and it is frustrating that I can't just play against the computer and am forced to fight online spergs who destroy me even at bronze rank. Getting pummelled to death in every match doesn't particularly teach me anything

Winning doesn't necessarily teach you anything, but you can learn from your losses. Maybe post a replay?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Hey jmcrofts are you going to make any more guide videos? They're good. Thanks

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Yeah I'm really liking guile so far, but I haven't seen much in terms of guides for him out yet. Looking forward to them in any case

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Matched against this cammy. Took a round off them, they ragequit. Got matched with them again a little later. Beat them 2-0, they took a round off me in the runback, then they ragequit again. :confused:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

e: nvm

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the combos in the trials. A lot of them aren't practical, or the best use of meter

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Typical ChrisG match. Nonexistent footsies, lets people jump at him, relies almost solely on his combo execution to carry a match.

DIVING: C
KICKING: C
NOT LOSING: S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Guile's hidden passive: nobody wants a rematch in ranked