Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Yeah, Capcom hasn't got the slightest clue right now on how to design some decent matchmaking for SFV. It's kind of a bummer because it's obvious a lot of people *want* ranked to work but it's so badly designed that it's not going to be appealing for long in its current state.

apple
May 18, 2003

cams posted:

i am legit curious what your problems with it are. i think the point system does a good job into settling you into a rank you should be at. if your problem is that it doesn't actually reliably match you against players of your same skill level, that's valid, but it's not really what the system is trying to do outright.

i've started only looking for 5 bar matchups and matchmaking has been amazing for me for a while now. i get matched up with players with more points and players with less points, but the system accounts for that by incentivizing lower ranked players to beat higher ranked ones.

My main problems with it are:
  • Points are obtained super easily already, and it gets easier on a almost daily basis. It makes it next to impossible to make sense of where you at relative to everyone else because 4k LP could MAYBE imply you're doing well currently, but by next week it'll be full of average players. A week after that the points will "inflate" even more.
  • Not only it doesn't reliably match you against similarly skilled players, it doesn't seem to put any effort at all. Top ranked players have winrates floating at around 90%. I don't care who you are, you're not getting 90% winrate if matchmaking was actually /trying at all/ to find suitable opponents.
  • Ragequitting is still really common and it gets old, specially when the matches don't even finish as a result

apple
May 18, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Eh, I'm not so sure about that one. Without actually having access to the data, I think it's reasonable to imagine that the very top tier of players need to be matched up with people that they will beat 9/10 times in order to get matches at a decent clip. Without being matched up with the same single other top player who happened to be online.

Matchmaking may not be so hot but I wouldn't use that as criteria without more evidence

Ok, let me rephrase: the current legit platinums are great players, but they can be easily matched with other players that can bring that winrate down. You don't need to look at their matchmaking algorithm, just look at tournament results and which of those play online.

apple
May 18, 2003

Evil Canadian posted:

He is throwable on the first few frames. In fact anyone with a command grab can just do a meaty command grab on his wakeup and since his jump and backdash are so poo poo he basically can't do anything about punishing it if he gets out.

Dhalsim has teleport as an option if he holds up. I'd have to test if he could punish a whiffed SPD on reaction but his punish combos actually hurt this game so it's probably worth considering even as a guess.

e: V-skill too, actually

apple fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 7, 2016

apple
May 18, 2003

I ended up watching one of his replays and man it's a pretty lovely fang

apple
May 18, 2003

Play 3rd StrikeStreet Fighter V, it's a good game

apple
May 18, 2003

The Timely Howard posted:

i am now, uh

*sigh*

"ultra gold"

i really wish they decided to have more fun with the rank names

make em street fighter themed or some poo poo

Yea the titles are kinda lame, rip

The ranked grind is fun though, I just wish they improved the matchmaking on it. I'll be happy to wait an extra minute or two if it means finding better opponents. If I want to play immediately you could always do casual or battle lounges, IMO.

e: Also make ranked 2/3, less time between searching and it's more tryhard

apple
May 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/708283126649196544

So I guess this actually removes the throw OS? Having 2 frames to work with before you're locked out of teching means that should you fat-finger a throw attempt and end up doing a kara-throw of sorts (like LP~LP+LK or MP~LP+LK), the game will accept it because kara throws are still just throws. If you take longer though it'll go into dreaded "OS TERRITORY" and you won't be able to tech anymore.

apple
May 18, 2003

The Timely Howard posted:

hey

i hit platinum

i declare myself goon emperor of sfv (unless another goon also hit platinum in which case i'm sorry for trying to muscle in on your turf)

I got there like last week

apple
May 18, 2003

So basically if you turn off vsync to get ~80ms of input lag on PC you're potentially gaining some form of advantage over PS4 users. I'm curious to see how the SFV netcode handles the discrepancy in input lag during crossplay, if at all.. :v:

apple
May 18, 2003

Rollback by design requires you to set a delay parameter by which both players operate on as a minimum. Skullgirls lets you change this setting: the shittier your connection the higher the delay setting. It's not rocket science but it automatically suggests a delay setting for you anyway so you don't need to think about it outside of fine-tuning a connection between 2 people.

Capcom has a fixed delay setting which is either arrogant to think their netcode wouldn't need it to be changed or just ignorant.

apple
May 18, 2003

"Boom! That's how you start a fight and finish it quickly!"

Laura is actually KOF Leona and uses explosives

Her English voice is atrocious

apple
May 18, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Imagine if Leona said booooOOOooom when she stabbed you with a stick of dynamite

I hope SFV Remix adds boooOOOOooom to at least half her moves

apple
May 18, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If they make jump inputs cancel the throw tech like they are doing with buttons in the patch, like BananaKen suggests, does that have other consequences? I'm assuming there are since they didn't do it

The consequence is exactly that: you can't do jump inputs or you won't break throws successfully. You'd still be throw invul frame 1 while jumping, it'd just be pretty draconian to most people to have that kind of special rule. You kinda have to do that if you want to remove fuzzy jump from the game though. The only other thing I can think of is making jump startup frames CH state, and that would probably be a shitshow :v:

apple
May 18, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Art was mad because he doesn't "have time" to read twitter or watch youtube vids because he "has" to spend 12 hours a day streaming ranked matches, so he didn't know about week 2 option selects that Japan was Abusing.

So he made a place to centralize all the Tech so he has a place where people who do those things can put everything for him, even though he and the rest of America should be more worried about loving Brenttiscool making top 8 winners before they think they can beat Japan or Infiltration consistently.

The irony about this is that it still doesn't solve the main problem which is having advanced information easily searchable by everyone, but that's assuming he wanted to solve that problem in the first place. Hell, a lot of information in that discord is going to be lost in the void because there's going to be a ton of garbage to sift through probably

apple
May 18, 2003

Laura's never wearing pants, is she

apple
May 18, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Capcom been patching out option selects since the betas, upcoming patch getting rid of more of them, but no man, this one stays this is the one.

Are you simple or something?

Basically every tricky OS found in the betas was removed from the game. I would be surprised if further ones found are not removed in the future as well. Their mission statement so far has been less option selects, more situations where you the human have to make a real choice. I am all in favour of everything like that which is found to be cut out. If the upcoming patch truly doesn't fix it, then the next one will. It is very apparent capcom will not let option selects of this type stay.

apple
May 18, 2003

apple
May 18, 2003

Orochi Ken

apple
May 18, 2003

I don't remember a single combo that was noteworthy for being tough, but some trials at least had useful bnb's you should learn :shrug:

apple
May 18, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

The rage quit solution thing is kind of disappointing, would it really be that hard to just change it so that disconnecting makes you lose points?

Like that's probably all it would take to stop people

It'd probably require *at least* both losing points + getting tempbanned from ranked with increasing severity for repeat offenders (maybe only lose points for the first offense), kinda like DOTA2 but without the low priority queue. Based on the patch notes it sounds like they're literally just going to check for overall disconnect rate which is a terrible metric.

apple
May 18, 2003

SOCD cleaning is a dumb feature that's aimed to solve a problem that doesn't exist nowadays and it probably does more harm than good to keep it around :v:

apple
May 18, 2003

Mattavist posted:

Real ELO is super unfun if you want to see your number go up.

Considering the constant, obvious inflation in SFV's point system it's not even a particularly interesting way to see your number go up

apple
May 18, 2003

Someone tested the anti-ragequit system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Og-putHGI4

It's useless

apple
May 18, 2003

cloofish posted:

Ok, what's the deal with Ken? He's the one character I see oscillate wildly in terms of rankings. I mean I find him to be pretty fun in this game, but opinion on him shifts all the time in terms of how effective he is. What gives?

Infiltration explains it pretty well in this section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVUTiy57VVc&t=642s

Some things he doesn't cover: his low confirms aren't bad but not great either, he generally needs super or vtrigger to make you respect his low options. Characters like Necalli and Chun both have safe, effective ways to conserve momentum off low hits that doesn't involve a point blank cr.LK. This sounds really specific but this is a really common scenario for midscreen pressure, and if your lows aren't scary enough midscreen people will hold back on you a lot and walk right out of your offense. This leaves Ken with mostly options that either 1. Reset you back to neutral or 2. Risk overextending by doing stuff like dash/VSkill/sweep to keep his momentum.

Like, despite his flaws he's still really good, but the most you can push him towards is A tier IMO. Anyone who puts Ken higher is crazy.

apple
May 18, 2003

I think bebaloorpabopalo knows a good guide for the "Ken Howitzer"

apple
May 18, 2003

In all seriousness Momochi's Ken guide is more than good enough, I can't even think of anything useful to add to it since the rest is more general fighting game concepts like learning footsies and stuff.

apple
May 18, 2003

I feel like this is misleading since no one actually tells themselves "I'm going to hit them before their throw invulnerable frames wear off". You can be greedy and use a setup that gives you more frame advantage by hitting in later active frames, which can coincidentally wear off by the time throw invul wears off. Some setups happen to hit in that window, other setups don't. The rest is people timing their meaty attacks manually. You'd have to have extensive knowledge of which setups have this loophole (typically setups that purposely hit in later active frames), and even then that's a lot of effort for something the opponent can fix by just timing their poo poo properly.

apple
May 18, 2003

brian posted:

I'm a bit confused, isn't it just like a guard jump/fuzzy jump or whatever it's called from other games? Like it'll block any meaty and only lose to moves that are specifically delayed to hit in the window of them holding up before they go back to blocking? Like there's absolute guard in this game right so letting go of block won't change anything if you're already blocking the thing right? I mean it works in 3s and there's no absolute guard in that, it's just the hitstop on block means you'll be back to downback before any multihit second hit comes out anyway.

Yeah this is basically just a really fast OS block into jump. Here's the thing: there's not much reason to go out of your way to do a "perfect" meaty outside of specific setups to increase frame advantage. There's setups that coincidentally hit meaty, but these are done for timing purposes to make timing meaty attacks easier, and the workaround is to simply time things manually (top players are doing this more and more outside of safe jumps and other poo poo that would be near impossible to time otherwise). Doing a "sloppy" meaty that hits on frame 2-3 works just as well as a "perfect" meaty in 99% of cases, so even if you properly time this OS it'll just lose often anyway due to how specific and difficult it is.

That's another thing: blocking for 1f and going into jump is actually really loving hard. There's a reason why the go-to defensive OS is fuzzy jump/jump tech OS, the timing is way more flexible.

apple
May 18, 2003

Justin is so far off base with his response to input lag complaints it's just sad

The core issue here is the lack of transparency on Capcom's side so we don't even know if 8f of input lag is intentional. It doesn't help that there hasn't been a single issue that they've been able to fully address from community input (see their OS "fixes" and ragequit countermeasures). Adeel (@FourWude) summarized the problem with having that much input lag quite well on twitter if you're curious, along with the implications on how the game is played.

apple
May 18, 2003

cams posted:

i agree with him in that people complaining about it being the cause of their losses are losers and should hold that. they're all playing the same laggy game. now, if we were getting into the lag itself, my personal opinion is that having an average of 7 frames of input lag in a fighting game is a bad decision. but if you're playing somebody at a tournament and they beat you, you lost.

that said, every game i've ever lost online against a pc player is because they alt tabbed the lag onto me and also have vsync disabled

I mean, I guess people saying stuff like "I lost because of input lag wehhh" are wrong, but that should be obvious to everyone and it's also unrelated

apple
May 18, 2003

dhamster posted:

I play SFV with items on

e:

SOLUTION: Nash yells "I AM GOING TO GRAB YOU" or "TIME TO GO FAST!!" on the first startup frame.

For comparison, try to react to Laura EX command grab (19f), it's practically impossible when you set up random recordings that'll make you fail if you try to guess. It even has distinct visual (character becomes piss colored) and audio (EX sound) cues to help.

Then there's Nash's dash which has a bunch of useless frames that are indistinguishable from him wiggling back and forth with no sound or distinct visual cues to help, as well as being "faster" than Laura's command grab even when including follow-up moves. Let's say the dash has recognizable key frames from frame 9 onward, that leaves you with a "startup" of 9f + 5f = 14f for a dash into grab :smith:

apple
May 18, 2003

Dias posted:

It kinda explains why they made throws worse too, imagine trying to tech poo poo on an 8f delay with unreactable dashes AND a 3f throw with extended range?

It'd still be extremely hard with 5f delay, in fact even stuff like random Ken run cancels will still catch people off-guard, you just probably wouldn't see Momochi fishing for crush counters off cr.MK>VSkill which is minus death on hit.

apple
May 18, 2003

Dias posted:

Of course, the input lag just makes things worse. I just like to think about Capcom's design decisions with hindsight because after the input lag news a lot of those became clearer to me.

Their intent is still a mystery to me, TBH. I suspect they wanted a "standard" amount of input lag because that's what they've been doing up until now (with varying consistency). If they DID want as much as 8f of input lag I would think they'd explicitly seek feedback about it during the betas since that much is unheard of in 2D fighters. If it's intended that's ok, at least it means that's the game we're meant to play. We'll need word from Capcom for that though.

I think SFV is a better game with less input lag though: PC with VSync off felt better while still requiring a lot of anticipation in many scenarios.

apple
May 18, 2003

I really dislike that Ken run pressure works as well as it does as a byproduct of massive input delay as opposed to something I did through my own effort. It doesn't feel like I earned it, TBH.

apple
May 18, 2003

S.J. posted:

The Winner Stays on Twitter trying to defend SFV is pretty hilarious

"People have used input lag as an excuse, therefore the article is invalid :smug:"

apple
May 18, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

What. The. gently caress.
So you know about that system that gives you a strike every time you RQ and times you out for 2 hours if you RQ 4 times?
Apparently when one player ragequits BOTH players get a strike. Which means that if you get ragequit on 4 time, you'll get a sweet time out as well.

Did this happen to you or was this reported somewhere?

apple
May 18, 2003

TBH I don't think the game is going to fall apart without additional changes if you go from 8f to 5f of input lag; it'd play pretty well actually. Even if Capcom did design the game around that much input lag to account for netplay or whatever, it's probably one of the dumbest ideas for a street fighter game ever; 3f is too drastic of a difference no matter how much they tried to mask it with changing frame data. I'm not even convinced they did this well either, there's still an absurd amount of things in the game that are "too fast" hence the need for so much anticipation in people's play. Netplay being close to offline play is a good thing when it's netplay looking like offline, not the other way around.

The only game I can excuse that kind of change is Tekken; that kind of drastic change is a necessary evil since the game would otherwise be unplayable online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never played a lot of Street Fighter, what makes this a bad entry?

If you're interested in why 8 frames of lag is a big deal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CBEVIDwge0

A popular theory is that Capcom intentionally made the game respond this slow to inputs so it can act as a buffer for online play and make both offline/online feel the same. The issue with this is that there's very little communication from Capcom's side to confirm this and it just doesn't feel right to basically have permanent +130ms ping.

edit: the price tag is a big turnoff too, $60 is too high until they fix a mountain of issues and add a base level of content expected for the game

apple fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 30, 2016