Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
This sure is a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Penguins posted:

Does Street Fighter V have online lobbies for 8 people or an arcade mode for all fighters or a challenge mode? You know, the stuff launch fighting games for the 360 had in 2005.

Sure doesn't!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
But at least it has a

Agoat posted:

- Fighting system based around the "neutral game."

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Goodpart posted:

Almost everything in the OP is a lie fwiw

Yeah pretty much

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

F2B posted:

Yeah. It's not a losing strategy. It's just not one I'm too fond of. Mistake-based victories imposed or otherwise seem to me like technical victories rather than real ones. That's all.

What the gently caress are you even talking about?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You guys know "SFVServer" isn't a real Capcom Twitter account, right?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

SectumSempra posted:

It wouldn't be easy to tell considering like 1 of their accounts are verified

Yeah apparently I'm wrong bc I thought the "sorry guys the servers are down indefinitely" tweet was an obvious troll, turns out Capcom is actually that bad at their jobs.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sade posted:

She is fun and has nice-feeling buttons. She has a tool for nearly any situation

What game are you playing?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

cams posted:

that's a terrible problem you have

No but for real your posts in this thread are a bunch of boring monotonous garbage.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

cams posted:

thx dad but that's not why the people who are making GBS threads on me are doing it :)

snakeeyez destroyed me and agrees with me that laura/gief is a real poo poo matchup for laura

Noice, being a bag of poo poo to the only person in the thread who wants to be nice to you.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

Bebop vs Cams' Laura FT10, someone stream it :getin:

He already got 10-0ed by this post

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

Wasn't there a smash guy jizzing on people's bedsheets or something

Reason #548927 the FGC wants nothing to do with the Smash community.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

How do I defeat flowchart ken (or Ryu) who throws a lot? I feel like he is the end boss of scrub tier matchmaking. Especially with someone like Chun who doesn't have a lot of gimmicks or a non-ex invincible reversal

I think I need to never miss my quick rises and get better at punishing blocked/whiffed dps and sweeps. It doesn't matter if they are throwing hadokens/shoryus/sweeps out like a maniac if I can't punish them for it. My mid range footsie game also gets discombobulated if they are decent at using fireballs as a midrange poke

Kinda sounds like you already know what to do then?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Machine posted:

wishlist:
- disconnects counted as losses
- play replays without having to add them to that loving list
- ranked matches FT2?? (in higher leagues at least)
- training mode saves your setup
- something to make survival more bearable (though i think it might be a scam to get people buying colours)
- character themes outside of ranked (but ban laura's theme)
- an option to allow non-blind picks in battle lounge (good for knowing when someone is trying out an alt)

Yeah like none of these things are going to happen.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

FightingStreet posted:

Disconnect penalties will probably happen. The rest, nah.

It's not like people not taking losses on d/c was an oversight. Most FGs don't penalize players for quitting because the people making them have decided that getting complaints from people with lovely connections would be worse than getting complaints from everyone else.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

The main benefit of a properly configured rollback netcode is that you don't get input delay and you have the feel of playing offline.

Can't make this bold enough for SFV.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Make it require an SA login just to piss off eventhubs/srk.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also get a UX designer to help you for funsies.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is a fightstick a good long-term investment?

From your description, you're basically the exact target for a good stick. You outlined all the reasons they're nice to have, and as far as maintenance, I don't have any engineering skills at all (I can build a PC and that's about it), but good sticks like Mad Catz's TEs are very easy to swap buttons and the like on. The wires have quick disconnects so there's no soldering or anything like that to deal with. My use case for replacing buttons has never even been that they didn't work; it's been purely because I wanted to redesign the stick and change their colors.

Basically, the $100-$150 range sticks cost a lot because they mostly use good Sanwa components to begin with, are a good size and weight, and are meant to last. Entry-level sticks use cheaper components and won't last as long; they're a good way to dip your toe in because you could swap all the parts out later, but if you're willing to spend the money I think it's worth it to get a good one.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

LawfulWaffle posted:

I don't want to skimp, and I was eyeing the HORI Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai for $150.

Before you pull the trigger on that (and someone else might be able to answer this), make sure it's compatible with standard Sanwa/Seimitsu parts. Mad Catz's high-end sticks come with them already, but Hori is using some proprietary ones and it would suck to be dependent on them for replacements.

In general some of Hori's lower-end sticks have been a total bitch when it comes to having the freedom to maintain them and swap parts, so do some homework on that first.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

interrodactyl posted:

rap4 comes with sanwa parts

Nope.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

lay it on me yall

street fighter V: yes, or no?

Eh.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I feel really dumb asking but I don't understand the frames references. I understand frames per second and frames of animation for cartoons and stuff. So when people talk about frames are they talking about how many frames of animation a movement is? Wouldn't that vary from computer to PS4 and computer to computer because of video cards and other variables? I googled "Fighting games frames" and got some flip book reference but it's not really clicking for me.

Here are a lot of words about this from the OP of the Fighting Games thread:

Brosnan posted:

Let's face it: to the uninitiated, "frames" is a dirty word. It's a common misconception that people who are really into fighting games sit around all day memorizing frame data, and that this encyclopedic knowledge is somehow instantly accessible and applicable in a real match. They don't, and it's not.

In truth, having a basic understanding of what people mean when they refer to various types of frames is simply useful in comprehending exactly what you're seeing in a game, and it goes a long way toward making the finer points of fighting games easier to grasp. Reading this summary will make it easier to digest some of the advanced terminology you'll see later, so before you get all huffy about not wanting to bother with that nerdy frame-counting bullshit, just relax for a minute and give it a shot.

If you know anything about how video game sprites or animation work, you're probably well aware that any given move you're seeing on screen is comprised of multiple frames of animation. Exactly how many frames depends on how fast the move is, whether the game runs at 30 or 60 fps, and so on. For fighting games to function on a technical level, each move has to have some hard-coded properties for what each frame of the move represents: in the header above, if Ryu is just starting to perform a punch, should he mysteriously damage the other player if they're standing next to him? Of course not; the damage should occur when his fist is extended, and the punch (or rather, the hidden hitbox representing the punch) actually connects with the opponent on the screen. The frames of animation leading up to Ryu's fist actually hitting his opponent, then, can be thought of as "startup" frames; they're the frames that happen after you've pressed the punch button, but before Ryu is in a state wherein the opponent will actually be punched. The frames during which Ryu's fist is considered an active, damaging object are the "active" frames. And the frames after Ryu's punch is completed, during which he is recovering from his attempted attack, are "recovery" frames. Not so painful, is it?

So, when you see numbers representing frame data, what you're really seeing are the following:
  • Startup frames: The # of frames before an attack is considered "active."
  • Active frames: The # of frames during which an attack can actually connect with the opponent.
  • Recovery frames: The # of frames after the active frames have ended, but before you are allowed to perform any other actions (including block your opponent's incoming attack).
Based on these three properties, we can discuss a few further concepts related to frames:
  • Block stun: The frames during which your opponent is stuck in their "block" animation if they successfully block your attack.
  • Hit stun: The frames during which your opponent is stuck in their "getting hit" animation if they do not block your attack.
  • Frame advantage/disadvantage: The disparity in frames between your recovery frames and your opponent's blockstun or hitstun frames.
For example, if Ryu goes for a slow, damaging sweep, and his opponent successfully blocks it, Ryu is stuck completing his sweep animation for quite a while, whereas his opponent will recover from blocking pretty quickly. This means that his opponent has ample opportunity to counterattack, and Ryu is powerless to stop them because he's still in recovery from his sweep. Therefore, we would say that Ryu is at a pretty significant frame disadvantage on block for his sweep (otherwise referred to as being at "negative frames," "minus frames," etc). Conversely, let's say that Guile throws a slow sonic boom from across the stage, but follows behind it as it approaches his opponent. His opponent blocks the sonic boom, but while they're still in their blockstun frames, Guile gets right up next to them, able to throw out any attack he likes, such as a nice backfist or overhead attack. In this situation, Guile has frame advantage; his opponent is still recovering from blocking the sonic boom, while Guile has already recovered from throwing it and can throw out a follow-up attack.

Attacks that leave you with frame advantage on block/hit (or at least, a small enough disadvantage that your opponent has no guaranteed way of damaging you) are generally considered "safe." Attacks that leave you at a severe disadvantage on block/hit are considered "unsafe." This means that you shouldn't be throwing out unsafe moves unless you're sure they'll hit in your current situation, else your opponent gets a free opportunity to punish you for the mistake.

Because of the emphasized nature of blocking and punishment in 3D games, you'll often see frames discussed more heavily there than you might in Marvel or Street Fighter. In a game like Tekken, it is somewhat useful to know which of your character's moves will come out quickly enough to punish blocked moves from your opponent, and looking at punishment guides (which use frame data) is sort of a cheat sheet for seeing what those moves are. However, even in this case, learning which moves are useful for punishing mistakes is something you can absolutely learn intuitively by simply playing the game; memorizing numbers is never a necessity.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
hitbox users are the kind of people who get anxious about the prospect of a party anyway.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gunder posted:

Has Zangief ever been considered top tier in any Street Fighter?

Alpha 3 Gief gets to activate V-ism and body splash tick into SPD 2x for free per activation. So yeah that was funny.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Practice Mode will.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Putting a Darkstalkers character in a Dimps Street Fighter game is like confining Superman to a wheelchair.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I stopped using gief mk when I saw how long his hurtbox sticks out for (3 active frames and like 13 frames where his massive hurtbox sticks out).

https://a.pomf.cat/iwcoxl.webm

Holy lol

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Hmmm no one seems to be able to punish anything because the hitboxes are stubby

I've got it! Just make the hurtboxes even bigger!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Nope, you can jab AA in a3 too.

Body splash is just cool when you activate V-ism and use it to tick SPD

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
When Tekken 7 comes out on consoles and has amazing netcode and is actually feature complete and has Akuma, we will welcome weary SF scrubs w/ open arms.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
lol no

#knoccemdown

#runithomie

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Agoat posted:

I think from now on if you wanna argue about stupid poo poo you can just FT10 on street fighter or whatever and not bring it in this thread

It's actually the best part of this thread.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Gotta avoid all that confusion that comes when I talk to my Japanese friends about Street Fighter which definitely happens all the time.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Microwaves Mom posted:

Aris seems to like SFV a lot and hes pretty hardcore tekken.

Tekken players can usually play 2D games reasonably well but not the other way around.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dark Clam posted:

the characters in this game feel like they have a lot less depth without close normals and unique neutral jump attacks. has capcom said why they got rid of these?

They didn't, they just made every normal in the game a close normal.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

bhsman posted:

Oh wow, Kung Jin is gay?

It was like the only way they could come up with to try to make him "interesting."

(Didn't really work though)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Corbeau posted:

Further refinements. :getin:

I hate everything about this.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

When you hit an MK and you instinctively hit V-trigger for combo extension for the first time.

I'm getting better.

Feels good man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I like this thread right now.