Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey I bought this game earlier today and have been trying to learn Chun-Li since I guess she is good for newbies (I haven't played seriously at all since SF2). I also did some story stuff and I actually had the most fun with Karin. Is she worth trying as well or would it be frustrating?

I'm like 0-10 online but I am having fun so I guess that is a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey Capcom I have literally 0 LP. Can you stop matching me against Silvers on a weekend afternoon thank you

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Someone tell me what to do on wakeup as Karin. Every time I think I am getting a tiny bit better I lose to some button mashing Chun Li or something if I get knocked down once or twice. I read that the EX punch thing is what a lot of people use but it doesn't seem nearly as good as a wake up DP or something.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I've tried blocking but then I start getting tossed or overheaded. I know the rock paper scissors wakeup thing is part of fighting games but I sort of feel lost with that character punishing some guy just standing on top of me throwing jabs in a corner.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also to back up with what the burned out guy said, trying to practice this game while getting reamed by 10 silver Guiles online in a row then finally finding one dude who is at your skill level and losing to dumb poo poo you know you can beat is incredibly disheartening. Like really makes you want to stop playing that game.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I know it is a common complaint but I just wished the game offered like anything at all for someone who hasn't been playing fighting games against other people the past decade. Single players stuff, some sort of skill filtering in the online queue, or maybe an actual rookie only pool you can play in for like 100 matches or something (even if the queue takes forever). The game play is super fun and I want to keep playing it but throw me a bone Capcom.

It would be one thing if playing against good people made you better at the game but there is a level where it feels like the opposite. Like I'm not learning anything against Super Silver Vega beyond that I can probably manage to land a jab to avoid giving him a perfect.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It still sold over a million copies though right? Or is it that a lot of those people who bought it gave up on it already?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hi I didn't mean to start some big lovely argument. I just wish it were easier for me to gradually get better instead of just dunking me in the tank with the general SF population which I don't think is a super weird request.

I looked up Karin bread and butter stuff and practice in between fighting with the dummy over and over again, so I am not trying to be a lazy poo poo about learning stuff. The problem is that a large part of the game feels like it doesn't translate from CPU to humans. Like I practice the poo poo out of cr MP, st MP, LP sensha but I don't know the situations where I can actually try it without getting poo poo wrecked. Can I do it during footsies stuff? Jump in and cr MP? Against which characters? All this poo poo feels like stuff that gets worked out while playing hundreds of matches against people, which is fine. I just wish it would generally involve people I stand a vague chance against who are doing the same thing. Maybe that isn't possible anymore.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
^^ Thanks, I added my name to the thread. Do you guys set up a lot of poo poo on Discord?

Dias posted:

Don't get too disencouraged, just set yourself small objectives that aren't outright winning and you'll see improvement. As for your doubt, that sort of thing is what you do when you closed the distance between you and an opponent. With Karin, you probably either knocked them down with a sweep, dashed in or landed a jump-in. 1 and 3 are probably what'll happen more often. Karin is a "footsies" character, so you shouldn't focus too much on landing a combo as much as you should on pestering adversaries with your amazing normals (sweep, st.HK, st.MK, even cr.MK). A lot of your damage will come from crush counter st.HK, so look into combos that start off that. St.MP starters are for after you're in their face, and you should be making them block those normals because they put Karin in an advantageous situation where a lot of your normals will come out before a lot of their normals.

This is helpful thanks. I've actually been avoiding her sweep and HK because some guide I read said they sucked.

I am starting to beat the Bronze Ryu's and Ken's at least reasonably often so things are looking up. I have more problems with other characters still just because I really still am not familiar with how they play beyond very basic stuff like 'get close to Dhalsim' and whatnot

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 11, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have two monitors and Birdie's CA just made my game go black for a second, then change resolutions, then move to the other screen and go back full screen. I've never seen a game do that before.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there some idiot guide to how teching throws works in this game? I feel like I am getting tossed so loving much when I am hammering the tech button and I'm trying to figure out if I am just being stupid about how it works

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

General Morden posted:

crouch tech is gone in this game

Ok this is probably a big part of it thanks.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the game is fun and looks nice :shrug:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Legit mad about losing to some shitlord Zangif that spammed two moves and the grab button over and over and over again. Got him down to like 20% health yet again oh nevermind he inexplicably grabbed me during one of my combos and took off like half my health.

I know he is a bad hero I am just venting. gently caress that poo poo

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Uh I only use the term hero when I admire the character greatly. Nothing wrong with that.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
What is the best way to set up training mode to practice crush combos? Ken endless DPs?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Zangief update: Managed to grab and toss a Zangief when he activated his CA, which caused him to immediately rage quit the match. Things are looking up down here in Bronze land.

I actually don't know how people can DC from matches so quickly on the PC beyond physically yanking some plug. I don't think Alt-F4 closes the program but maybe some other key combo does?

Dias posted:

Turn counterhit on on options and use a normal that gets you a CC.

I didn't know this was an option, thanks

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I read everywhere that Karin's big combo is cr mp st mp into instant tenko and the last part never loving hits for me, even if it feels like I am inputting it as quickly as possible. Is something supposed to be canceling to make it work?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also I swear to god every fucker I have been matched with has been pure rush pure aggression the past two days. I don't know if it is random luck or if everyone read about the input lag thing and decided that is how you need to play now.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I think I am doing the instant part right because she makes the different noise and it hits way higher up into the air. I just can't get it to like actually combo, if people are holding back it gets blocked even if the first two hits confirm.

I'm sure it is something I am doing wrong but I'm not sure what.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fruitsnacks posted:

Can you do the instant Tenko by itself? If not then you should practice that first. Once you have that down 100% you can move on to canceling a single normal like s.MP into instant Tenko.

Edit - Whoops OK so it says right there in your post but just so we're on the same page: the instant Tenko causes the opponent's body to spin in the air. That's what you need to make sure you're getting.

Cancelling into instant Tenko is different from other cancels because you are cancelling into the QCF+K command dash and then hitting a P button *after* the command dash has begun. You won't get the Tenko if you press P before the command dash starts. Anyway, the trick is to just do the cancel a little later than normal. So it's like s.MP -> very slight pause -> QCF+K~P. Again, if you can't do instant Tenko by itself outside of combos then you won't be able to do it within combos so make sure you've mastered that first.

This is super helpful, thanks

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I discovered part (not all) of the reason I was having trouble with the combo is that I was subliminally hitting forward when going from c MP to s MP. I found this out because I realized that if I closed my eyes I could finish the combo like twice as often as opposed to if I were watching what the characters were doing. I think it is because the hit stun from the c MP pushing the characters apart visually made me think the second part wouldn't hit unless I closed the gap up, even though it logically shouldn't make any difference because I am doing the punch instantly after the first.

I thought that was kind of cool for some reason in line of the whole visual look of the game versus actual hurt/hit boxes kind of way.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I get a match at most every minute or so when I am queuing, even at fairly weird times. I get the disappointment behind the game but all the posts calling it dead seems a bit much.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Do any people who are like poo poo tier Bronze like me maybe want to do a lobby some evening once a week to dick around and practice in? I added people from the spreadsheet to my list but I don't think most people really even look at that in game usually.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

if you're able to jerk off while playing a fighting game, I'd be pretty impressed honestly

how would that even work?

Win first round. Lose second round because you are jerking off. Win the third round.

Love Stole the Day posted:

If you're on the West coast or in Asia then yeah I'm down.

I live in Ohio

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

Weekly, semi-organized poo poo-tier sparring lobbies would be cool and good.

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah

Cfn rocsfeather

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You can rope me in on that. I hover right on the border of bronze and ultra bronze depending on which character I hated myself enough to play that day. I'm usually a too aggro Laura but I can play Gief, Ryu, Fang, and Vega badly too.

CFN Hugo_is_number1

Ok cool. I don't know how CFN works, can you message people on there and poo poo?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Roadhog is super fun and he owns

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ibuki CA looks cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8_CY3YECW0

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Golem II posted:

Everytime I try playing online now I get connected with people using bots.

Yeah I've seen a few of these. What is the point of doing this exactly?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is really interesting. Most of my experience with fighting games is with Smash, but introducing extra input lag seems like a really dumb idea.

The actual gameplay is really fun, especially if you aren't trying to compare it to all the other SF games you have played.

Most of the (justified) complaining is about everything surrounding the actual fighting part.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah that is a completely reasonable decision. I don't regret buying it at full price and have had a lot of fun with it but it certainly has warts.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I got a big cut on my thumb so I haven't played for a couple weeks and tonight I made some Silver guy with rage quit in my first match and it made me feel pretty good.

Then I dropped every combo the next five matches but at like least I got that guy to quit to avoid losing stupid ranking points so the night is a win in my book.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I want to play Juri so I am happy with this

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
$6 a character does mean I'll probably just get one maybe unless they go on sale

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

The rumor is that MS is funding Dead Rising 4 as an exclusive so maybe they just move on to loving that up.

Capcom is weird

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know why my 360 controller suddenly doesn't work on the PC version? The controller itself seems fine in Windows and I haven't had any problems before.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bo Jackson posted:

I used to play SF4 and then got the Melee bug for a few years, but I'm determined to get back into the Street Fighter world. I hear the PC version is funky but hopefully I can at least get a feel for it there

The game itself is pretty fun. This thread is a bit overboard on the negative parts (which do exist).

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm just saying that if you like Street Fighter the game is Street Fighter and it is pretty fun if you want to play online against people it has always worked well for me. If you want to play against the computer a bunch it sucks poo poo.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ok jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Hansgruber28/status/742376821249835009

lol