Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Christ, that Miltank. I'll be perfectly honest in saying I don't really remember my first GSC playthrough, so I can't say how I beat it, but it was likely tough.

That Miltank gets MORE fun in the remakes, where it has Scrappy, so it can Stomp your ghosts now, but also a Lum Berry in case you wanted to Status it. Interestingly, it might actually be easier in the Rematch, because it now uses a Rest-Sleep Talk combo with Body Slam as its only attacking move. Still Scrappy, but with the randomness of Sleep Talk, it can end up wasting turns. Granted, it still has the Lum Berry, so unless you Status it before it can Rest, it'll get a free full heal.

Also, Miltank can show up in the Pokeathelon as Whitney is a potential opponent in the Speed Supreme Cup division.

On the other hand you can buy focus blast for 5500 in the remake and just shred whitney with it assuming you have a dude that can use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

MagusofStars posted:

One extra part about Miltank that you didn't really call out - It's level 20. If you're rolling with a full party of six, you're probably about 16 or 17 now if you haven't intentionally grinder. So not only does it have solid stats and a nasty move set, it's even got you beat in levels too.

Also, I can't honestly remember since its been so long - are there actually any normal types who DO have a strong Special Attack? Seems like pretty much every write up includes a phrase like "great options for TM's but bad special attack limits the usefulness".

Clefairy/Clefable have an all right one if I remember right. In the first games normal types tended to be physical focused around attack rather than special because that was the attack type of all normal moves. Then again, they made poo poo like crabby so....

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

apokaladle posted:

...is that still in the later gens? How have i played Pokémon games for literally thousands of hours and not known that?

probably the other type/status immunities are. How often does body slam come up in later games anyway? If it shows up as little as I remember that could be why you didn't know.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

That was amazing, and yet at the same time I wonder how the hell he got that team to red in the first place. Doesn't reaching red require a ton of hms? I guess with a bazillion pokedolls you could at least flee your way to the top.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Diantha in XY isn't a slouch either, though her most notable thing is that her M-Gardevoir is at max rank with Pokemon Amie. This means it has all the Hax you've been using up to that point, in a nasty package. +Crit rate and +Evasion on something with 165 SpA is scary.

Wait, that dumb minigame gave stats?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I would say that if you need to turn off or ignore game features to make a game hard, it's not a hard game. It's an easy game that you can make reasonably hard, but it's still really easy by the rules it gives you because the exp share is given to you as a tool and not a difficulty setting.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

They removed the grass cutting from Gen 4+. Probably to encourage people to battle instead of trying low level challenges.

Eh, more likely because it was a tedious pointless feature that nobody used and wasn't worth the time to code in. Not many people do low level runs and it's not useful in a normal run where just running from the fights you get or using a repel is the faster option if you don't want to deal with random encounters.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Silegna posted:

The hell where they thinking with that ability?
"Here's a pokemon with good attack! Let's halve that when it hits 50%!"
gently caress.

Probably because it's meant to be a glass cannon that either takes out it's opponent or functionally gets taken out in return minus berry/potion shenanigans?

It's a fun concept even if it doesn't make for the most competitive dude.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Natu too!

or X-treme Native

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 16, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Let's do this

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Helios will be like a sun to us and never get us into a blind.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kikas posted:

Yeah but they always use the lovely Dark types.

I will hear no more of this slander against sandile and it's :krad: evolutions

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

You guys aren't thinking in the proper Gen II encounter design mindset.

It would just be the Gym Leader and all they'd have is an Umbreon.

The umbreon is level 60, the highest level random encounter available is level 30.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

TheLoquid posted:

Gen 1 has some serious contenders. Literal pidgeon, literal rat, literal caterpillar(s), and so on. Metapod gets my vote though - that poor guy has literally nothing interesting going for him.

Not true! Metapod has one thing going for it.
Battles between two dudes that only know harden is hilarious.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The dumbest pokemon is clearly slowpoke guys.

Or possibly geodude, those things are dumb as rocks.
:downsrim:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Given that the game is loathe to show it off, lets get some Houndoom on

Doomguy the male Houndoom (Lv 30)

-Flamethrower (Goldenrod Tutor)
-Solar Beam (TM22)
-Sunny Day (TM11)
-Double Team (TM32)

Item: Bright Powder
DVs: Max em
Shiny: No

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 11, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

You yell GetItAway.

This.

Also, wow that double battle. Having had it pointed out there is no way that wasn't intentional

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Have you ever used crabby? They're accessible enough in g/s if I remember right, and the attack/special split makes them less useless garbage.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The only wild shiny I've found was a moldy tauros with a modest nature.

What I'm getting out of all this is that there are a ton of bad shiny spawns and people freak out about them anyways.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nah, it's gotta be Clay for cowboy goodness, or Manjaw Dryden for that rocking jaw shaped beard

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm sure I read somewhere that if you hack in a Wonder Guard Spiritomb in Gen 4, the AI will start using more status moves like Toxic, and somehow knows of Fire Fang's glitched ability to hit through Wonder Guard no matter what, and will use it more often too.

As far as fire fang goes, the AI probably just sanity checks move immunity to avoid stuff like casting thunderbolt at ground types. And in that particular case fire fang is the only move that doesn't ping that so it gets used exclusively.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Honestly as far as dumb things gamefreak has done with the postgame, I miss the random dungeons of black and white 2 the most.
Those were actually fun unlike the hardcore battle challenge places they keep doing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, any time people clamor for an open world pokemon game I think of GenII and the Back half of the first game and wonder what they're smoking.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kikas posted:

Nah, but I am sure I've heard that about Crasher Wake as well, so I guess it's a water-type leaders thing.

Eh, if they did it like Pokemon Origin showed, where Brock goes "Huh, you have no badges? Okay I'll just use two out of my six Pokemon for you" it could work. Although that would mean making 8 teams for every gym leader, 7 of which you'd never see, so I guess it's not worth the effort. But it could be a way to show off a lot of monotype teams sooo... I dunno.

It could work.

But that wouldn't work for other trainers, as you could render the game unwinnable if you beat everyone before the first gym. And you'd have to do something about the trainers because slogging through a ton of fights 10-20 levels above everyone else isn't fun. I guess wild stuff could scale too, but forcing someone to grind because they didn't find a gym seems like bad choice.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I really don't understand where they put houndoom in this one. You can't catch it until the post game, at which point it's going to be under leveled and you fight like a whopping 3 of them the whole game. Why did they bother making a new monster if it's basically not in the game?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

definitely. In a way that would be charming if you didn't have to fight 5 million under leveled goons every time they cropped up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Roro posted:

New regions and their Pokemon always produce divisive results. Don't worry about disliking some of these Pokemon because it's likely there will be a few more tucked away of varying quality. I'm liking all of the ones revealed so far, but we still don't know enough for me to be planning teams yet. I do know that I probably won't be going for Litten now the final form is revealed. Fire/Fighting is just boring at this point, it's a little disappointing.

I think a water/ground pokemon that looks like a firefighter would be a pretty good gag at fire/fighting supremacy.
At least fire/fighting hasn't hit the point of oldschool grass/poison

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Solumin posted:

But that leak didn't have the types of the final forms, did it? Everyone's assuming Fire/Fighting for Nyandre the Giant, but I could see Fire/Dark, too.

I like a lot of the designs, but really we don't know anything about how usable they are -- we don't know stats or move pools. So I'm not planning my S&M team yet, but I'm appreciating the new designs.

Planning your team around viability rather than coolness? What kind of monster are you?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Byzantine posted:

It's total bullshit that you get to change sprites for this one section and then never again.

Also :eng101: Apollo was never God of the Sun, that was Helios.

Well I mean, if you want to split hairs sure, but at the end of the day there's still the myth that the sun is Apollo going for a ride in his chariot across the sky.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Byzantine posted:

It's not that much of a split, they're completely separate gods. Helios was the son of Hyperion, Zeus' uncle; when Zeus rebelled against Kronos, Helios allied with his cousin and helped overthrow the Titans. Apollo was the son of Zeus, born well after the Titanomachy.

The Iliad and Odyssey both mention Apollo and Helios as unrelated deities. Apollo was the God of Light (and a great many other things like music, poetry, archery, disease, prophecy, colonists, sudden death of men, etc) but he was never the Sun.

Splitting hairs is a common expression for saying nitpicking.

At the end of the day one of the big myths around Apollo was driving the sun in chariot form across the sky. That is close enough to being a sun god for practical intents and purposes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

What do you call an armour plated dinosaur with a drill that pierces the heavens?!

Giovanni

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

God is the Gen 2 Elite Four a joke.

Hey man they brought back beloved, serious contenders like Bruno and a guy that was just a boring old gym leader last game!
How can you not be intimidated by such prowess?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's probably not a good build, but Tauros gonna hit things hard. Gotta make up for my crystal tower submission being useful.
Plus in the playthrough I did because of this lp I caught a Tauros as my first shiny ever, that might have biased the selection a bit.

Battle Castle 1-3
Species: Tauros
Shiny: Yes
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Attack/4 Def
Moveset:
Take Down
Zen Headbut
Outrage
Earthquake
Nickname: Green Bull

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Well shoot, no wonder all these trainers are losers. We got on the boat to the wrong postgame region!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Did fairy get a decent first showing either? I think gamefreak is just bad at highlighting new features like they're scared of it being bad. Mega evolutions were basically non existent in their debut as well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I like how they knew rest was such a big thing that half the enemies in the tower had dream eater and no way to put their opponent to sleep

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

That traded magneton sure has a moveset.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

More Houndoom! More!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think we should stick with a gen 1/2 mon for the crystal lp. It's appropriate. Garchomp can have its day in its own game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

porygon-z and starmie
Let's use a gen1/2 for the victory lap

• Locked thread