Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like calling "Stop the war" nonsense kind of gives the game away.

Why, yes, I do not consider Ukrainians and Syrians lesser people to be piled over "because West bad".
And "nonsense" is a bit on an understatement, too. More accurately, they are racist scum, red on the outside, brown on the inside.

And funny how everything is about "UK media". My opinions are based on the drivel these ilk spew about the people I grew up with, not inside Labour party baseballcricket.
That's ultimately what it always comes down too --- everything is about US/UK to them, and everyone else is irrelevant.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh wow Keir Starmer posts here.

Didn't know Starmer was Ukrainian-American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

Yeah, my take here is that this skater is underage and has been failed by all the adults around her. I'm unclear as to why her sample, which was submitted in December, was only tested yesterday, one day after her event.

It wasn't only tested yesterday, it was tested before but she was permitted to compete while it was under some sort of appeal (source: story BBC news front page had on this). It was, however, tested way later than December either way, which is indeed strange, since she has a pretty successful career, and isn't a non-contender who they might never bother actually testing.

And yeah, she is apparently from one of those super-abusive sports schools, that wouldn't think anything of drugging up a kid if they thought it would help them win.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think there's anybody itt who isn't on edge, but I'd still expect better from professional reporters than this cycle of sensational claims and retractions.

You shouldn't. They're mostly professional reprinters of press releases, whether from the White House or the Kremlin. Usually both for "balance".
And in story like this one they often send reporters with no understanding of Ukraine to get involved --- again, usually from their Washington bureau, or, worse, Moscow one.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Right, I am sure Russia is really threatened by those, what, 200 troops in Lithuania? Never mind much of this token presence there and elsewhere in Eastern Europe only happened in 2014.

Maybe people won't be talking so much about 1939 if people had the slightest idea of what happened in 2014.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Yureina posted:

Russia invaded Ukraine, seized part of its territory, and started up a proxy war in the Donbass that's been ongoing ever since. Am I missing anything?

That's the big picture, yes. But there was also stuff like the West pressuring Ukraine to not resist in any way in Crimea, which was of course followed immediately by an attack on Donbass (not that Ukrainian military was much in a shape to resist --- hence a bunch of, uhn, highly dubious militias arising afterwards), series of vague and questionable agreements backed by the West that Russia immediately disregarded, and complete lack of any actual response in substance until they accidentally murdered a bunch of Dutch school kids. And, well, here we're again.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've found the nigh exclusive public emphasis on the provision of Javelins to be odd and don't know whether that is just a quirk of the media coverage. Buffing Ukraine's anti-air capabilities is just as important and it looks like some amount of Stingers have been sent, just without the same fanfare.

Javelins is what Ukraine needed in 2014 but didn't get because Obama didn't want to upset Putin.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Holocaust is considerably further in the past than US election meddling, what with it being on-going. In any case, I was reacting mostly to calling meddling in an election* an act of war in a thread presently discussing the possibly imminent re-invasion of a country that was invaded less than a decade ago by the same country that apparently committed an act of war against the US. Calling election meddling an act of war completely deflates the term.

The amount of election meddling they did in US is also way smaller than the amount they did in Ukraine before turning to actual war.
It's getting closer these days, though, since Fox News now looks more like it's owned by Medvedchuk rather than Murdoch.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

piL posted:

I'm sure it's somewhere in the last 5 pages, but its hard to keep up. Can you show the source for this? Most of what I can Google suggests much less authoritative language than what you're describing.

So more accurately, someone "leaked" the formulation he used, then the official statement denied it. Now often times "leaks" are the administration (or business, or whatever) playing games and trying to say things w/o officially saying them, while it can also be someone's own opinion that's disconnected from the official overall viewpoint.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ulan-bator is the best part.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

You'll just confuse most Americans with this map.

e: why is Ulan Bator there? :lol:

Well, Russia is big on imaginary wars with Mongolia.
I am wondering what they were going with Novosyoyrsk, though.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^
The former, of course.

Libluini posted:

In other news, Ukrainian ambassadors asks for 12000 anti-tank missiles from Germany, receives awkward silence

To be fair, their other demands are more sensible, like radio equipment and helmets. I'm not really sure the Bundeswehr even has 12k anti-tank missiles left in storage, though. They may get disappointed on that front.

Probably should just ask them for covid vaccine instead. Ukraine is horribly behind on those, though various sources of anti-vaxing like... the Russian Orthodox Church I think I've heard might be a bigger problem than supply, not sure.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 14, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It's also that there are only like 5 journalists that normally cover Ukraine, so when the topic is hot they go to someone without a clue, so you end up with stuff like this:
https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1492121091518738435

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Not even an opinion column, either.

Same author that was shocked Ukrainian army (at least he should get some credit for knowing it exists, I suppose) didn't have clothing drying machines in the trenches.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
They employ a lot of yacht and villa builders in Europe?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^^
No, it's not. Whataboutism is bringing up bad behavior in a totally unrelated place.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't think you can really separate the very long and very brutal history of antisemitism in the Ukraine from it's current predicament.

Uh, what? Putin isn't attacking the country (with a Jewish president!) because he is concerned about anti-Semitism.
Do you even know what the Black Hundreds were?

P.S. I have some hands-on experience with anti-Semitism in Ukraine, growing up Jewish. That involved (Russian-speaking!) kids I grew up with drawing a swastika on election posters of a Jewish candidate for some local office. Was pretty terrifying.

P.P.S. You are doing a lot of conflating of domestic anti-Semitism (you really should have bought up Bohdan loving Khmelnitsky) with that done by Russian imperial elites.

P.P.P.S. Also it's not "the Ukraine". If you don't even know how to call a country properly, maybe you shouldn't

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 14, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^^^
Uh, yep. Jewish, born in Ukraine, heard stories from his dad about how he didn't even apply to his dream college in Moscow because he didn't think he would have a chance given quotas limiting number of Jews they would admit.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They did when Lenin (who was 1/8th Jewish) jailed the paramilitary groups like the Black 100s and forcibly ended the pogroms.

... You do know that USSR had a state policy of pretending the Holocaust didn't happen, and had a lot of institutional anti-Semitism?

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 14, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
One of my memories of my grandmother is her going through lists of WWII documents (published, to their credit, by Russian defense ministry online) for whatever she could find on her father, who didn't return from the War, and seeing many, many, Jewish names alongside his and going "... but they said we Jews didn't fight..."

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

pissinthewind posted:

It just doesn't really make sense to me to be rooting for either side in Ukraine/Russia right now, unless you're mostly worried about which country has the most imperialism I suppose. The rise of fascism is a major problem in the US that no one is doing anything about, but look over here! Nazi grandma is learning to shoot an AK to protect against Putin, everyone cheer? It just seems like Biden is trying to do the unity he promised by promoting nationalist imperialism, stoking the flames of war by sending Ukraine arms and riling up Russia, since domestic patriotism unity kind of poo poo the bed when he failed to accomplish pretty much anything. And honestly, having lived through that poo poo in the early 2000s, I genuinely can't believe grown rear end human beings are falling for it, again.

There has been a war, started by Russia for 8 loving years. There are more than 10,000 dead, millions forced out of their homes, and Russia has pulled up 2/3rds of their army to the border prepared to make those numbers much worse and it's Biden stroking war?

Maybe you should start fighting fascism by being less racist, and noticing all the suffering and not making everything about the United States?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

*sigh* if only Lenin could have killed all the antisemites smdh.

The Russian KKK.

That would be the majority of population.

And KKK isn't a bad comparison, and just like them they weren't limited to a single bigotry --- they were very much anti-Ukrainian peoplehood as well. And that attitude... Well, it's been endorsed as high up as by Putin himself.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Fritz the Horse posted:

As in the quote above, this will be enforced pretty leniently. Most of us were aware that Ukraine has a significant far-right (neo-Nazi, fascist, whatever terms you feel appropriate) political element and paramilitaries.

Uhh, except it's not true for political part of the statement? Unless of course you agree with me that various incarnations of pro-Russian parties should count on account of their ethnic supremacist ideology, that is, though they are more weirdo populist than traditional far right.

(Now militias? Well, more than 0 counts as too much).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mila kunis posted:

Are you referring to the 2008 war which was triggered by Georgia invading South Ossetia?

The 2008 war which was triggered by Georgia opening fire on Russian troops entering the Georgian region of South Ossetia, and which ended with Russia engaging in ethnic cleansing of Georgians in the region.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
LOL at the Natzbol quotes.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think the closest to a legitimate point is the issue of Russian-oriented citizens of Ukraine possibly getting screwed over in a scenario where Ukraine joins the EU, or at least makes accommodations with it. Seems like a legitimate worry that border regions might see their economic fortunes undermined, as Ukraine shifts its focus westward. Of course if that was the actual worry, I feel like Russia could've worked together with the EU and Ukraine to ameliorate those fears, maybe set up a special arrangement to reduce the risk of local economies suffering too much. I feel like the EU would've been very amenable to that, seeing it as a way to really start making inroads in Russia, economically and diplomatically. Plus a special transition period would probably be required anyway, given the size of Ukraine and its economy.

Of course there's a very obvious reason why the Russian leadership would not go for that model, that being it would undermine their legitimacy, by having ethnic Ukrainians and Russians both benefit from EU-sourced reforms. Something whichh would be hard to keep secret when the whole deal would rest upon continued economic activity between Russia and Ukraine.

Uh, also that would require Russian leadership to /care/ for regular people in the first place. And, of course, what they did in 2014 did more to disrupt trade than the EU association stuff --- even full membership from EU won't have prevented, say, Motorsich from selling them helicopter engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Again: What saber rattling from the West? Versus actual saber rattling from Putin/Russia by actually annexing and invading countries? When was the last Western invasion of a Russian territory?

Good ask.

Last time US in particular (we all know about... Germany) did was WW1 (or rather the Russian Civil War), and I am seriously surprised Russians don't bring it up as much as Canadians bring up the burning of the White House in war of 1812 as it was a pretty embarassing showing.