Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Consider being very delicate with your commentary on how much of a borsch’s volume should be taken up by vegetables. Otherwise you’ll wake up to 50 people from Ukrainian territorial defence forces trying to tell you in broken English that it’s only borsch if a spoon can stand in it.

Is there any other kind of borscht?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

After unironic 20 years of debates, Latvia is finally launching a national bottle recycling system next week.

Plastic or glass?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There has to be some dude in Ukraine who’s willing to be Putin’s puppet and have a fig leaf of some popularity. Why would they pick Yanukovych if there’s a forced regime change

I'll do it.

(then stab Putin in the back and join nato, don't tell him that)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

Are you angry at him for things that didn’t happen? Do you really like Tony Blair?

Are there are not enough reasons to hate him as it is?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a fight to Kiev on the 20th lol. Let's see if anything happens until then.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

lol that's the date ppl think is most likely since its peak freeze and after Xi's Olympics.

Cool, cool!

Minenfeld! posted:

Wait so you're invading?

Just visiting to see some cathedrals

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I still think it's very unlikely they'll do anything major, even in Mariupol/DNR. But recent negotiations haven't been particularly encouraging but if something does happen, it could be very, very bad.

Al-Saqr posted:

I'd cancel those tickets now while you can get the refunds.

What are the EU regulations on compensation if the destination airport's runway is destroyed?

Alchenar posted:

I've always thought that was weird. The movements of hundreds of thousands of troops are not going to hinge on if there is sports on the TV and never was, it was such a weird grasp by the political commentators.
Heads of states often attend the olympics in person, so there could be a small reduction in their ability to quickly and effectively manage a crisis. Not that it would apply this year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Robocope posted:

Lots of people itt going :ohdear: over literal American propaganda.

Yes, Russia would never invade Ukraine, that's preposterous!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Not So Fast posted:

Pretty much every date from November to late Feb has been floated as when Putin finally invades, so I do appreciate why people are a little skeptical of whether this will actually happen.

For now Putin has what he wants in Ukraine - he occupies Crimea and he has Ukraine fighting in the Donbass, which means NATO won't bother accepting Ukraine. Is there really any reason for him to send the army in?

Land connection to Crimea
Annex DNR
Regime change

All of it is bad and will probably only harm in the long term but in the long term Putin's dead anyway so

Trump posted:

Have you discussed the 700 soldiers Denmark mobilized to scare of Putin? I have a feeling might just work.
That's exactly the kind of naked provocation that makes Russia concern about its security

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

'The US intend to trick us into invading Ukraine, and we fully intend on falling for this trick'
They're definitely falling for American propaganda!

They could still say they were worried about Ukraine starting something but that's the first development that actually has me worried.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Poland has opened its border with Ukraine for Americans.

https://twitter.com/christopherjm/status/1492602687053082624

KLM has suspended flights to Ukraine. Who was your carrier, Mobby?

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/02/12/klm-suspends-flights-to-ukraine-airline-2-a76361
Wizzair, I'm sure they aren't canceling poo poo until missiles are flying :getin:

I'll might abort the trip if things keep escalating (and don't pop off before then) but yeah it's not just a vacation for shita and giggles so it's not an easy decision.

steinrokkan posted:

Stingers are antiquated, and the Soviets already knew how to counteract then in the Afghan war, so that doesn't seem like such a big deal... The question with javelins is, would the troops even be able to use them? Did they have enough time? Were they even given enough to do some test shooting?
I'd imagine the Stingers are also upgraded since the 80s? They'll have countermeasures of course but could still be useful against helicopters. My main concern is if they have any real AA capability left. Leaving Russia full air superiority would be a nightmare.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wow they're even better equipped than the Germans!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone talked to Japan recently? Maybe this would be a good time to get their islands back.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I mean you're all right to be skeptical but... he's just saying that they canceled some vacations and told everyone not to engage the Russians. That's a pretty obvious thing for Ukraine to do and not the kind of extraordinary claim that would require extraordinary evidence imo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

In other news, Ukrainian ambassadors asks for 12000 anti-tank missiles from Germany, receives awkward silence

To be fair, their other demands are more sensible, like radio equipment and helmets. I'm not really sure the Bundeswehr even has 12k anti-tank missiles left in storage, though. They may get disappointed on that front.

At the very least they could send some broomsticks, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah nazis are real and bad unfortunately. One thing that's not really helping is getting invaded by your long time frenemy. It's pretty much inevitable that the most active resistance is going to be by the most radical nationalists.