Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The obviously stupid parts distracted me from the not-quite-so-obviously stupid parts.

poo poo, right after you posted this I noticed it too. Wow, that really is goddamn stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OhYeah posted:

Trump is a complete narcissist and if he gets into the White House, he will be the leader of the greatest empire that has ever existed on this planet. He will give jack poo poo to Putin.

Wait, now you have me confused, Trump will end up President of China if he gets into the White House? :confused:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

Maybe it's reverse star wars? Scare NATO into over committing to it's own defense spending in an attempt to cause disruption?

Man, considering most NATO-nations don't even reach their minimum spending goals, the Russians are in for a surprise. Right now, mostly thanks to what happens in Ukraine, some nations have stopped spending cuts, some have very slowly started spending more and the rest doesn't give a poo poo.

If that has changed during the last months, I'm prepared to be very surprised. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

blowfish posted:

Political reality and allied intervention aside, Poland could totally beat Germany in a fair fight right now. It's ridiculous how geographically-central EU members apart from France have completely atrophied militaries beyond the point of reasonable post-cold war drawdowns.

Yeah, but Poland won't, since they're our allies now

Also Germany is slowly changing because of Russia, our government is slowly and begrudgingly giving the Bundeswehr more money. It's slow going because the government also does dumb poo poo like ordering the Bundeswehr to send Tornados to Syria and increasing the amount of our battle-ready tanks by 33% without understanding the Bundeswehr needs more resources to do this.

But I guess all those scandals in recent years when poo poo just disintegrated under the hands of hopeful soldiers convinced those civilians real world armies don't work like an RTS: You can't just order "more tanks please" and expect all of them mothballed Leopard IIs to be in mint-perfect condition. :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

:911: will save them or nukes will fly and it won't matter.

This is how European states (except Britain, but Corbyn might change this) think.

You can excempt Germany from that, too. The feeling I got from people around me thinking about our relationship to the US was either certain doom because the US won't help (they're greedy assholes, after all), or that we have to do the fighting alone, maybe with the help of the French or something.

Either that or people don't want to think about war at all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

If you want actually professional journalists try contacting Süddeutsche Zeitung. They're more reputable than Spiegel and if they took you seriously everybody else would basically have no choice either.

They already do, recently they did a nice article about him. They were even nice enough to call him a "former civil servant", because that sounds a lot better then "he was unemployed" in Germany.

I linked it sometime earlier in this thread, so if you check my posts you should stumble over it. (Or just search after "Bellingcat" on Sueddeutsche.de, I guess. :v:)

Edit:

Found it!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo, Trump really is a secret Russian sleeper agent. :stare:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Man, and just recently I read a Spiegel-article claiming there were secret talks to reduce the sanctions on Russia. The talks weren't going anywhere, though. The Russian side never moved one inch from their position, so there was no way of creating a compromise the governments of France and Germany could live with. (Those two were directly mentioned, could be others were involved too, or I may have skimmed over some of the smaller, less important countries in the article.)

And now this. Looks like Russia decided it really loves sanctions and wants more of them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Some better news: NATO plans to station more troops along the Russian border and generally in the East. Nothing is official right now, since the great NATO-summit is planned for July, but the plans for a battalion for each Eastern country is already mostly done.

The USA will provide most of the troops for the additional battalion in Poland, the UK will take over the battalion in Estonia, Canada will take Latvia and Germany Lithuania.

Oh, and there are talks to put another formation into Romania, just to be sure.

This stationing of troops will be an inofficial rotation and not a real stationing. In answer to this, Putin has ordered the Russian Army to check their operational readiness. According to Putin, this is just a coincidence, it's not really meant as a direct answer to the non-stationing of NATO-troops along the Russian border.

Looks like things are heating up again!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

If Russia full out invaded all their former warsaw pact holdings Germany would fall over them selves to excuse it and defend it, even offering up most of eastern germany (this would pass with a 90% referendum in bavaria). The entire thing would be blamed on NATO imperialism provoking poor russia and perhaps if Germany just totally disarmed and signed a treaty recognizing eastern europe as belonging forever to Russia it would finally make poor Putin feel safe. gently caress germany and especially gently caress the "german left"

Don't worry, the German Left will never be elected again, they've turned themselves into a bunch of assclowns no-one wants to work with. Even the Greens are considered more reliable as part of a coalition these days.

Of course there was the obligatory shitstorm when the new Weissbuch for the Bundeswehr hinted at maybe we need to defend ourselves against Russia a little bit more? But apparently everyone immediately forgot about that, since I haven't seen it mentioned in the news again. So I guess all signs point to Germany rearming, I guess. :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

For them to be elected again would require them to have been elected once before

True. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LeoMarr posted:

Sorry let me address this, I dont meab literally drag out a 500 lb bomb and drive itbibto parliment. By utilize I mean take that bomb and use the a. Similar to what occures in the ME on a daily basis. UED is recycled every single day in the ME, where most of the foreign fighters go to jihad-college of baghdadi knowledge.

Let me rephrase the question, Could ISIS use the recycling of UED tactics that are used in ME conflicts in europe; with that fact that drat near every country has UED fields litteref with poo poo ranging from arty rounds to 500+ lb bombs.

If ISIS actually finds and recycles a Fliegerbombe inside a major population center I would be mightily impressed. Though they would never try this because a group of dumb assholes digging blindly trough a large city would be the dumbest and most brazen thing ever. They'd probably get halfway to succeeding simply because the police will spend like a week laughing their asses off.

Then all ISIS guys get arrested/shot, the end. Comedy option: They actually manage to find a bomb before someone notices the guys hacking up beton everywhere and blow themselves up

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

Blogger Who Filmed Himself Playing Pokemon Go at a Cathedral Could Face Prison

Why not just burn him at the stake? Although russian prisons are probably worse.

The way Russia is going, I fully expect him to be staked inside a prison, then set on fire.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
On 14th October it was revealed Germany is planning a fleet expansion, mostly as a reaction to what Russia is doing. Some emergency money gets used to double our corvette-fleet from 5 to 10 ships over the next few years. There's also a massive increase in the budget promised to pay for the shipbuilding program, but that's been postponed to after the next election for obvious reasons.

Something the article doesn't mention: For some years we have been building a new class of combat frigates large enough to classify as cruisers (~7200 GRTs), the first ships will start getting commissioned around the time the new corvettes will arrive. The Bundesmarine has been incredibly stretched and stressed out for some time thanks to our governments giving out more and more commitments but not more money. Looks like Russia's new aggressiveness accidentally saved our fleet from slowly collapsing, thanks for the new ships, Putin!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

The Baden-Württembergs have especially little to do with the Russians since they are heavily optimized towards peacekeeping. Compare their armament to that of an Arleigh Burke, it's fuckin ridiculous.

I just did, the F125 doesn't have torpedos and is a bit lighter, that's about it. For a German ship it's quite heavily armed, actually.

Cat Mattress posted:

You should have bought the Mistrals, IMO.

We just barely made most of our broken helicopters work again, what the hell are we supposed to do with multiple heavy amphibious assault ships / helicopter carriers? It's not like we will transport our soldiers by ship when Russia invades the Baltics.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

It has no VLS to the AB's 90 cells and no torpedos, ie no way of actually doing anything. It carries a bare-minimum self-defense-armament in form of the SAM launcher, a battery of essentially useless subsonic anti-shipping-missiles, and a naval gun. It would've been a decent combat ship at half the weight and 30 years ago, and coincidentally the F122 carry the exact same armament - gun, 2x self-defense-SAM, 8x Harpoon, at indeed half the weight and 30 years older. The thing just barely qualifies as a warship. It's meant for stabilization missions, optimized for endurance and carrying special forces, nothing to do with the Russians. As far as the Russians are concerned the German navy got less dangerous.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/germanys-f125-special-forces-and-stabilization-frigates-05119/

The discussion moved a bit off-topic, I mentioned the new corvettes first with a reason. That reason being they're explicitly meant for use in the Ostsee. They also carry the heavy anti-ship missiles of the type RBS15, so that's five more ships capable of sinking Russian ships. Coincidentally, the outdated Harpoons on the F125 are supposed to be replaced by those newer missiles, too. So that complaint is baseless.

Also as far as I understand the technical data of the F125-class, they do have an AEGIS-equivalent fire control system, it's just not called "AEGIS". (I could be wrong though, I had to look up what an AEGIS is on Wikipedia) The F125 also carries 4 MASS-systems for defense, which seems to be superior to the Burke's equivalent. I'm highly sceptical the Burke could actually not get hit immediately by an anti-ship missile and sink without actually doing anything.

The naval gun is actually a fairly modern system, capable of using special ammunition for supporting land-based operations. 100km max range with specialized ammunition isn't bad for a dinky little gun. You also forgot the two remote-controlled 27mm autocannons. But yeah, together with the 5 robot-machine guns the class has it's more meant for peacekeeping missions. I mean those robot-guns are obviously meant to repel boarders, which is I guess more important to a peacekeeping mission on the other side of the world than to fight other ships?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Jesus Christ, Lamb of God and Light of the World, has become the king of Poland.

Still better than that fat German dude who ruined everything

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Holy poo poo. How'd that happen? I mean, wouldn't they have to be vetted by both Turkish and Russian officials to get that post or do they just pick people off the street to do diplomatic detail?

The Süddeutsche (German news) claims it was some guy of the street who somehow just walked in pretending to be part of the security detail, so yes and no?

Edit:

Apparently he was part of the police in Ankara, so at least not totally a random guy.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 19, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The article I mentioned got updated: Turkish media claim the assassin used a police ID to enter the presentation.

The apparently only one so far who claims he actually was part of the police was the major of Ankara, he twittered about this:

quote:

SALDIRGAN POLİS...
VE ALDIĞIM DUYUMLARA GÖRE FETOCU...
SALDIRGANIN SLOGANLARI SADECE ALGI YÖNETİMİ...

Since I don't know Turkish, I don't know what he is saying. Is he actually identifying the assassin as part of his police force? (Google translate just spit out garbage when I tried to transform moon speak into readable German.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rincewinds posted:

Did the russians use artillery on a barrack or something?

Maybe they started a new offensive? Didn't they want to annex that one city at the coast for ages? Mariupol?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

In the last few years though he's seen a two tier system emerge for veterans. Veterans with a soviet or russian history are treated as 2nd class, as not "real" veterans because they served with the enemy, the evil russian oppressors. The government likes to say it's prioritizing current wounded war heroes, and obviously people wounded in active combat get priority, this isn't something anyone disagrees with. The problem is that Anton, the son of some current well connected official who spent a year in the military as an accountant, gets priority over any "soviet veteran". This was exactly the sort of favouritism and discrimination my grandpa fought against and why I find it extremely sad that he's become a victim of it.

Yeah that's kind of lovely, but hey when Russia finally reconquers Ukraine your grandpa will probably get the favouritism and Anton will probably get shot, so even though that's just more corruption, at least he will get his revenge if he survives a couple years/months longer.

If he still thinks corruption is bad even after it saves his life, I'll have some respect for this unnamed Soviet ex-general. If he doesn't, will this make you even more sad? Since you know, in the end he will have become what he has fought against?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And after the Russian annexation, they'll be second class citizens because they're Ukrainian. Kind of depressing. No way out for them, except by the Russian bombs soon dropping on them. :smith:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Kissinger isn't satisfied with gifting South Vietnam to North Vietnam. He wants to keep shoveling parts of other countries into the gaping maw of evil, it seems.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That is for sure the worst thing he ever did.

And coincidentally, the only thing I remember about him! :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

provided that the group included Adam Sandler

This, but I kind of hope they'd put Justin Bieber on the same plane. (Yes I know he was born in Canada, but he lives in the US now.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I watch a youtube channel about transit and trams and it seems at least poland is building some nice stations and expanding tram infrastructure. About the only hopeless bits of news I get in my life is a dude's channel on cycling infrastructure in NL and tram news in Poland/Central europe. I can retreat to a happy world of growing bike lanes and trams systems.

Also my grandpa died so my wife is rushing off to Kiev to try to catch the funeral. It's going to be some big state/military deal so it's out of the family's hands which means a bunch of them won't be able to make it because 2 days is way too short notice for people to fly around the world. His hip surgery went well, they said he had a 80% chance of death and the family had to sign a bunch of waivers. Then he made it, beat the odds, became much less depressed and had a whole new lease on life. After some weeks of rehab he was being dropped off at home to continue his rehab at home, and died in the ambulance in the driveway of his own apartment building :(

That's my eastern european news :(

Man, that's lovely. Sorry about your loss.

I'll try to catch the news about the state funeral, should be worth an article or two if it's that big of a deal.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The economy in Belarus is tanking, and Lukashenko some time ago signed a decree that "parasites" or unemployed people would have a to pay a fine for being unemployed. The demonstrations are mostly based on this decree.

How is that fine even supposed to be enforced? Aren't you basically fining people for not having money, which makes no sense? Will the government just spend tons of money on bureaucratic regulation for what will effectively be just a reduction in unemployment support?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

Meet the next Belarusian president, a timid man in an ill-fitting suit who rambles about some nonsense and promises to undo every mistake of Lukashenko's government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vEKtkHG2oY

Was Lukashenko replaced recently? I always thought Belarus was basically a one-man dictatorship, or is this sarcasm about his chances in the next election against Luka?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That is entirely sarcasm, the dude on video is literal definition of a political clown. It is so bad, I felt shame watching it despite being absolutely unrelated to the situation.

A Pale Horse posted:

The latter. Batka isn't giving up the throne any time soon and if he does it will probably be to the little sociopath he's been raising for the past 14 years (or however old Joffrey is).

Welp. No hope for Belarus, then. :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

A return to feudalism is the outcome of unrestrained capitalism. Having a hereditary caste of people who own everything, and therefore get to control the people living on their property, is the end goal of capitalism.

Nah, this is stupid. The end goal of capitalism is the total destruction of our eco system, followed by our extinction at our own hands. You kind of stopped in the middle there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

Poklonskaya is legitimately insane, unfortunately. Her weird facial expression is due to some head trauma she's suffered when arresting a local mobster, and it it probably affected not only her face. For the past several months she's been leading a campaign to ban the film Matilda that tells a story of then prince Nicholas dating a ballet dancer (an absolute historical fact). Because Nicholas II and his family are martyrs, it's somehow disrespectful to show what Nichols had been up to before his marriage, and the film should be banned according to the law protecting religious feelings. Thankfully, the court decided not to ban the movie (probably more due to the fact that it was filmed with state money), but the original claim included gems like 'the Czar is portrayed negatively in the film, because he dates a ballet dancer who wasn't very beautiful in real life'.

Hah! It's not possible to portray Nicholas II negatively, that sad sack did only one thing right: Getting shot by the Communists.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Well, makes sense. After all, if the government kills you, your soul would be fine, right?

Then again, GB isn't even a catholic nation. WTF?

The joke here is, GB tended to punish a lot of things with hanging. Steal a tiny piece of bread? Hanging. Murder? Hanging. Getting caught punching a picture of the King? Hanging. Australia as a nation only exists because GB got too tired of hanging all those evil bread-stealers and poor people, and instead decided to ship them all to the other end of the world.

That said, killing someone for attempted suicide is basically rewarding someone for his crime. The better solution is clearly long prison sentences so the victims can "enjoy" their life for as long as possible.

Dwesa posted:

Not really, even attempted suicide used to be punished. In case of Great Britain - by hanging.

"Even attempted suicide", huh? So how was successful suicide punished? Hanging of all relatives? Was the corpse thrown into prison? :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

Sure, one hive won't be very expensive nor much work. But it'll bring you peanuts. You want to make bees your livelihood, you will need hundreds of hives. And taking care of hundreds of hives is a lot of work, so you'll need specialized tools to make it faster and easier on your back. Especially once you take into account that to make your hives really productive, you'll have to move them to where the flowers are, so that they can start sooner and finish later. That's where you get specialized forklifts and trucks, mechanical extractors, and so on.

And then we can add that beekeeping in the 21st century is a lot harder than beekeeping in the 19th century, because pesticides are ubiquitously omnipresent, varroa destructor and vespa velutina and aethina tumida and myriad other invasive species are incredibly professional at loving up bees, and so on. Any of these problems could be faced if it came alone, but since they're there all at once, the extinction of the bees is looking like a very plausible medium-term scenario.

In China, they're hand-pollinating their flowers because they don't have bees anymore, and they chemically make fake honey from raw sugar also because they don't have bees anymore. This is the future of beekeeping.

Bee thieves can also be a problem, if rare. Last year some local bee keeper in Germany lost like 50k Euros worth of bees. Someone just walked into his forest and absconded some of his hives.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

I think it was a fuckup.

Well, certainly! Russia couldn't kill that guy, what an embarrassment! A terrible gently caress-up by the Russian security agencies.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Sunshine posted:

This is some impressive loving sealioning.

Yeah, and yet people are still falling for it. You'd think after the 5th or 6th time, people would notice the gimmick, but noooo...

Anyway, just put that guy on ignore and move on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Somaen posted:

https://kyivindependent.com/national/center-for-defense-strategies-can-ukraine-really-be-invaded-scenarios-for-a-russian-attack-analysis/

Ukrainian take that full scale invasion is highly unlikely. Seems reasonable with strong arguments into the just a bluff by huilo camp

Probably yes to the first, but what the gently caress are you smoking to the latter. War isn't a binary between ALL CAPS FULL INVASION and a bluff, there are more options you can do, like e.g. just grabbing more bits of Ukraine but stopping at Kyiv instead of full occupation.

If it's still a bluff, it's a rather costly one.

Edit:

In other news, Ukrainian ambassadors asks for 12000 anti-tank missiles from Germany, receives awkward silence

To be fair, their other demands are more sensible, like radio equipment and helmets. I'm not really sure the Bundeswehr even has 12k anti-tank missiles left in storage, though. They may get disappointed on that front.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

The amount may indicate that it's about Panzerfaust 3's which is an RPG rather than a guided missile, those are more affordable. The phrase Panzerabwehrraketten could mean either.

The article slapped a picture of guided US anti-tank missiles getting loaded on top, so it's not very clear. Normally, a Panzerfaust would count as a Panzerabwehrhandwaffe though (infantry anti-tank equipment). Panzerabwehrraketen are guided and unguided missile systems. A MILAN is a Panzerabwehrrakete, a Panzerfaust 3 is not.

Edit: If you want to specify a guided missile system only, you call it "Panzerabwehrlenkrakete", but that's about it.

As long as it's not a case of journalists understanding jack poo poo about what they're writing, the article is probably talking about our HOT or MILAN-systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

El Perkele posted:

World War 3 over Ukrainian steppes?

Let's not be overly dramatic, there will be no World War 3. For one, China doesn't really care, and a lot of other Non-European countries won't, either. So at best it's just another European war. We had lots of those in the past, sadly. We can deal with that.