Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

General thread reminder to avoid empty-quoting, one-word, or otherwise white noise posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Xarn posted:

I can't read Polish easily, and you can't make me expend the effort on this.

Click the link. I also do not read Polish. It's all in English and it's a wild ride (I hate it, sucks).

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Less white noise posting pls

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
As I understand the new-ish guidelines in D&D, lollontee is allowed to advance any argument they want. Instead of simply posting this link: https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2014/07/06/donbass-russians-subject-unparalleled-ethnic-cleansing/

I would ask lollontee to explain, in their own words, what exactly their understanding of the roots of the conflict are and why that source is a good reference on the subject.

Everyone else please take a short break and allow lollontee to make thir argument.

edit: they can make any argument they want, as long as they can support it

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

steinrokkan posted:

Is this a bad joke?

nope

Koos Group posted:

If someone posted a two hour video about holocaust denial I would probably remove it and force them to summarize it themselves instead, since relying on something like that to make all of your points is as you imply an onerous burden to put on your opponents, as well as not your original thoughts. If they were posting essays someone else wrote as their own they would also be punished for both spamming and acting in bad faith.

But those cases aside, D&D is meant to be educational and I do believe debunking that stuff, particularly arguments that a real neo-nazi is actually trying to use, serves the purpose of educating readers and making them better at arguing. This may be a bit idealistic, but at its very best D&D is meant to give you some boon to use in the real world, and in the real world you might encounter people of any political persuasion.

An added bonus is that it would allow people of different political factions in D&D to be reminded that their differences are small and enjoy going after a common foe.

I'm not saying what lollontee posted is the same as holocaust denial, but I would like them to summarize their argument and defend their use of the source, then we'll go from there.

I skimmed the last few pages of the thread, they will be acted on. Most of the mods are in the middle of their work day or asleep right now.

edit:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Maybe I’m the slow one here, please clarify for me - do the new rules explicitly allow to promote anything, including internationally recognised crimes like ethnic cleansing, so long as the person endorsing them has an internally consistent perception of the act?

What’s the contingency plan for when reddit refugees come to D&D to argue about age of consent?

see above quote from Koos Group. This is a bit of a test case.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

lollontee posted:

sorry about making it so hot by my mere presence i guess!

So you were going to post a link to an antisemitic (and a whole lot else) conspiracy theory organization as a joke, correct?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Does Koos Group realise that debunking stuff 1) requires 10 times the effort that’s needed to come up with nonsense and 2) doesn’t really work if the other side isn’t interested to change their mind? Will SA fact checkers also get paid like the real world journalists do, or is this meant to be simply a punishment for being knowledgeable about a subject, to have to seriously and kindly treat every single post when they have their own conversations interests to pursue? Don’t even get me started on actual people itt who intentionally post state propaganda and gather a few dozen replies before going “xD lmao my gbs thread told me ure having a meltdown so i decided to check. you guys are really online with your sick owns lolee”, or simply misinformed posters/useful idiots that need to receive a high school history course from someone to reach the ground floor of the conversation.

I've asked Koos and another mod or two to review the whole last several pages. There's something like 220 posts since I checked the thread last night.

Like I said, this is a bit of a test case and I'd rather Koos Group take the reins on how to proceed. Koos is certainly open to feedback and tweaking things, so I'd communicate with them.

I'm not just passing the buck here I'll continue to be involved and keep an eye on this thread but I'm new to modding and not entirely sure what Koos' plan for stuff like this is.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
This does not seem like encouraging news,

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1484714137015959558

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Reasons the poles are allowed to hate Russia:

Eh, I was gonna say something but figured it was better not than to rush in and further polarize the situation.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Just speaking for myself, not any "official" solicitation from the mod crew: if you have suggestions for who might be a good IK for this thread I'd encourage you to PM Koos or another mod.

Personally I think it'd be helpful to have an IK for this thread who is living in the region and active at a different time than most of the D&D mods, just to be able to put out any fires if other mods aren't available or watching closely. Ideally IMO someone who's regularly active on the forums, level-headed, and can read Russian.

I acknowledge the point made by several folks re: "are there a hundred posts in the EE thread because someone is making GBS threads it up or because there's a hot war and my friends/family might be in danger?"

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

cr0y posted:

How much firepower is a US carrier strike group.

Asking for a friend

How, specifically, is this relevant to Eastern Europe?

Asking for a friend.

edit: thread regulars actually living in Eastern Europe have clearly expressed a distaste for Clancy chat. And maybe I should change the thread title to reflect that.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ knock this poo poo off unless it's quite funny (very subjective!) or directly relevant to the thread topic

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 23, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

cr0y posted:

You're right, I apologize.

No worries, I'm just sensitive to the feedback during the last day or so with several EE posters clearly communicating they shouldn't be talked about as pawns in some armchair Tom Clancy chat and expressing how tense the situation is. "There were a hundred posts overnight and I don't know if that means hot war with Russia and my friends and family might be in danger, or someone is being dumb in the thread."

Non-EE goons are of course welcome to post here, but please keep the last day or so of feedback posts in mind and recognize you're posting with folks who may be deeply, personally affected by the current situation.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
fwiw cinci zoo sniper is now thread idiot czar

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Sinteres posted:

Does cinci's new position come with any new thread specific guidelines, or is this more about having someone who posts here regularly to babysit the thread with normal D&D guidelines? Basically, is anything changing other than a new set of eyes?

Koos Group can clarify if needed but my understanding is the latter. Not any specific changes to thread guidelines or direction, just getting someone who is knowledgeable about the region and this thread to help keep an eye on things. Historically in D&D, regional threads having their own local IKs has worked very well. And if Russia does invade Ukraine, this thread is probably going to get tons of volume.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

FishBulbia posted:

Doesn't country realize doing X is morally wrong???!??!?

Please avoid low-content or white-noise posting. Thanks.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

I know several folks have responded with clarification, but it would be helpful if you'd included the translation in your post. Just dropping a tweet and going "oh poo poo!" is not super helpful. edit: not super helpful for non-EE folks, who might be more involved in this thread.

I expect this thread will continue to be pretty busy. I defer to thread IK "cinci zoo sniper" for most stuff but please try and keep your posts substantive and direct.

edit:

by which I mean, if armed conflict does pop off this thread is going to be very busy, and we'd like to somewhat discourage hot takes and shitposting. Which your post wasn't, don't get me wrong. We'd just like to keep quality of posts kinda decent to keep this readable and informative if it gets moving fast.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 12, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

FishBulbia posted:

Since there will be an influx of users and I am taking that Horse's advice,

Thank you. I am sensitive to the concerns expressed itt by goons actually in Eastern Europe who don't necessarily appreciate Americans and other folks from outside the region coming in with lovely hot takes. Severals poster expressed a concern for the conversation being hijacked to make it about US/NATO vs Russia while ignoring the agency of EE nations and the people actually living there*.

Maybe I'm mischaracterizing. But I'd like to keep this thread as informative as possible and not have it clogged up with bad takes and shitposting. I know it's a little bit of extra burden on Russian/Ukrainian-speaking goons, but if you could provide a brief summary translation that would help to keep things on topic, I think.

I will readily admit I'm not super knowledgeable about the region and the history of this conflict. I'm just gonna try and be as neutral as possible and help cinci keep the thread informative and centered on actual unfolding events in Ukraine and EE.

edit:
*I'm not saying discussion of US and NATO's roles in the conflict is forbidden, but I don't want that conversation to dominate the thread if there's actual war. My impression from EE posters is we should keep this focused more on the situation there.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 12, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

FishBulbia posted:

It's an anglophone forum, so expecting a translation of key points is totally reasonable I feel.

Thanks again, and don't feel compelled to translate at length. IMO the value of having a brief summary translation is to keep the thread centered on "on the ground" situation in EE and less so on what Western and US outlets are saying about it. cinci went to bed which is the main reason I'm butting in.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Hi all, a few things--

If you have issues with D&D moderation and moderation of this thread, please take them to PMs to mods or Koos Group or QCS if you like. This thread is getting busy and it doesn't need to be clogged further.

A reminder not to simply repeat common knowledge or the same thing over and over

Koos Group posted:

[*]Being boring. This could include making the same claim over and over in the same way, particularly when you're the one bringing it up, or repeating a very common talking point we're all likely to have heard before. This is subjective, so it will be enforced fairly leniently.
As in the quote above, this will be enforced pretty leniently. Most of us were aware that Ukraine has a significant far-right (neo-Nazi, fascist, whatever terms you feel appropriate) political element and paramilitaries. Hopefully everyone is now aware of this after the last few pages. Simply repeating "Ukraine has Nazis" or similar is not really adding much to the discussion at this point. Again, this is enforced leniently, but I'd encourage posters to add more to the conversation than just repeating common knowledge.

There's been a lot of fairly low-content posting. I'd ask posters to try and keep their posts relevant to the current situation in Eastern Europe and make positive contributions to the discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

OddObserver posted:

Uhh, except it's not true for political part of the statement? Unless of course you agree with me that various incarnations of pro-Russian parties should count on account of their ethnic supremacist ideology, that is, though they are more weirdo populist than traditional far right.

(Now militias? Well, more than 0 counts as too much).

Thanks for correcting me on that. I'm not very familiar with Ukrainian politics, I'm just butting in to try and keep the thread discourse productive.