Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Edmund Honda posted:

Cheap bluetooth dongles are terrible, all of them have bad range though. I use the usb socket on my monitor because it's just not powerful enough to be reliable otherwise

Wonder if the lag is from InputMapper? I use DS4Windows, no idea if that introduces lag

I haven't seen any tests comparing InputMapper or DS4Windows or anything yet unfortunately. If I had any idea how to set up that kind of test properly I would give it a try, as I've got the controllers, a 144hz monitor, and I guess my phone records at 120hz.

Bluetooth input lag itself can be as low as like ~4ms but it's based on noise interference and distance and things like that. Like if you have 4 DS4's all going at once you've basically added an extra 16ms of input lag just due to the noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Edmund Honda posted:

Did a quick dirty test with the slowmotion mode on my phone and got ~40ms, which is exactly what my monitor is rated for input lag. Got exactly the same from a wired 360 controller.

Someone with a quicker screen/camera could do a better job but I don't think it's that far out

Which driver was that and was that DS4 on Bluetooth or Wired?

Also wowza 40ms monitor input lag.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sounds good. Maybe it's just InputMapper specifically that's laggy then, it also has ads apparently. :waycool:

It's really nice how many good monitors have super low input lag these days. Mine's sub 4ms input+g2g response but it's a TN, these days they got stuff that good in IPS panels.

Nate RFB posted:

I'm really not sure I as a human being am capable of detecting input lag outside of maybe plugging a retro console up to a HDTV via RCA, but I can't notice anything with my DS4. According to DS4Windows I'm hitting around 1ms of latency on bluetooth but I somehow doubt that's the entirety of the input lag.

Only times I can really tell is fighting games but nothing coming out these days generally gives a poo poo anyway since they all have big input buffers.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

I remember PS4 being dope as poo poo. Didn't much care for the others, though.

Still never beat it. I should probably fire it up again.

Yeah I'm a huge fan of the series, but Phantasy Star 4 is the only game of the bunch that's still particularly playable at all. 1&2 are good in terms of theme, characters, story, and such, but actually playing them is a huge chore without emulating and turboing the poo poo out of everything. Just the worst of the worst of classic jRPG design of getting random encounters literally every 4 steps, absolutely nothing interesting going on in terms of combat mechanics or encounter/boss design.

PS4 doesn't have a ton going on in terms of gameplay, but it's got enough, and it moves at a breakneck speed for the most part so it's not a bad playthrough. As long as you can still tolerate random battles anyway.

I'm always impressed when Genesis games have good soundtracks because the entire instrument bank of that console sounds like machines farting.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

It must have been a weird time when people were paying the 2016 equivalent of 100+ dollars for an arcade game. On both consoles

Game rentals were really popular for a reason.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

yakuza 5 is downloading right now and i am excited

Is there a particular entry in this series it's good to jump in at? I'm kind of curious about it but I don't know the first thing or where would be good to start.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

bloodychill posted:

A 2.5D remake (or better yet, sequel) to Ecco the Dolphin would be pretty badass.

Ecco is really close to being a classic gem but the last 3 areas of the game completely kill it from getting there.

Like, it's retardo hard in many places throughout the game, but the last two areas are a 6 minute autoscroller of nothing but instant death wall crushes and enemies that 2 shot you, followed up by a final boss who will 1 shot, and any death anywhere along the way sends you back to the beginning of the autoscroller. I seem to recall they said they did that because they were worried people would beat the game too easily otherwise.

That story stuff is hilarious and I love it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yakuza 4 has a feature where Kazuya explains the main plotlines of Yakuzas 1-3, so that's a good one to start with.

That sounds pretty good then. Are the stories super convoluted or are they pretty straight forward? Gimme a rating on a scale from 1 to Kingdom Hearts :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

welcome to the machine has amazing music tho

Yeah, all the end-game content is cool as poo poo but holy hell do you not want to actually play it without savestates.

Tides of Time had a New Machine level which was more of the same, but as I recall it's only in Hard mode and there's a checkpoint after you finish it?
Lotta other weird auto-scrolling mazes in that game though, but they're nowhere near as bad. And I think a couple of them are also Hard mode only as well.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

cram me sideways posted:

Stranger of Sword City is the Xbone game of the year. I have (re)embraced the anime, and am now eyeball deep in Wizardry-style stat noodling and class fuckery and drat it feels good to grind again.

Boner owners, give it a shot. The trial's 8 loving hours long; it's enough time to find out if this is your poo poo.

Glad to hear it's good, I've no Bone though so I'm waiting on the Vita release instead. I guess it's supposed to get a Steam release too but no news on a release date yet.

Guess I better try and finish Phantasy Star 1 tomorrow so I can get on to better things.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

cram me sideways posted:

If you've played Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land on PS2 then Stranger is like a homecoming. I've been chasing this dragon for so long. I tried the Etrian Odyssey games on 3DS and I just couldn't get into them. The developer behind this game, Experience Inc., is totally behind doing even more of this poo poo, so they just became my new favorite developer.

TotFL is one of my favorites in the genre so I'm gonna be all over this one. Weird that it got released on Vita and 360/Xbone but not PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

two worlds 3 announced as well as a new expansion for two worlds 2

wow

For some reason I thought they went out of business already. Was their other game after TW2 terrible?

• Locked thread