Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PiedPiper posted:

Not that I think about it, are there examples of mainstream comic book protagonists who are unmistakably republican?

Maybe Nick Fury?

I can't think of ones that are both mainstream and protagonists but IIRC Lois Lane was very republican at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Coming from someone who didn't know the Daredevil's villains beyond "Fisk=bad and there are ninja but Elektra is sometimes a good ninja" Almost all of these developments read like they just needed a way for the characters to stop referring to all the bad guys threatening the city as "The Chinese" and "The Japanese."

When I read about stuff like the cities of heaven and everything it made more sense but in the show it really meanders around. You can tell they realized they couldn't quite make magic and other dimensions "real" yet because they pushed the release date up. and pushed Dr. Strange to the end of the year and that's his entire thing and greenlit Iron Fist all while DD was filming. DD going forward is going to only exist to set up other Netflix MCU shows going by the second half of this season which kind of sucks.

This is really clunky in DD because they had to keep having the characters run into magical stuff but have them all be stupid enough to not talk to each other or really notice how crazy stuff is so that everyone thinks everything is still "just a legend" after several episodes of bizarre poo poo happening that we see all of.

Also I couldn't believe they killed Nobu in season one like two episodes after he has dialogue and becomes a character only to bring him back as an immortal villain which could be cool but then have him get decapitated at the end anyway? Even despite my love of Scott Glenn I was still like what the hell was the point of that?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 16, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I still cannot loving believe how inept and uninteresting that movie is on almost every level. I ranted about it a lot in the martial arts movie thread already but dang. Like what was anyone thinking with that flick.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If the suit is a bunch of nanomachines in his body maybe it's like wired reflexes and skillsoft in Shadowrun where when he activates it it does pre-programmed movements to grab something/move a certain way super efficiently on reflex to get the drop on someone but is lovely long term against someone who actually know what they're doing.

Either way it's really dumb. The power of these characters differs all the time as they meet up in different comics but even in as many movies as there are in the MCU it's a huge stretch that Stark isn't instantly taken out by the character whom in their last appearance is able to clown Black Widow/Falcon/everyone almost effortlessly and then almost beat Captain America to death in the direct sequel to the flick where this happens.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 17, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Man gently caress all that Tony Stark, I'm more hyped to see Chadwick Boseman killing it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

In the comics and movies (even though the 1995 one is set in Hong Kong) she's explicitly a Japanese woman and the cybernetic body she inhabits at that point is explicitly "Japanese generic female default #243" whatever so she can blend into a crowd if need be and people won't immediately suspect the massive amount of police/military grade cybernetic augmentation she has received.

But even the original movie is a huge departure from the comics since it focuses on boobs and "deep" cyberpunk monologues while the comics focus on boobs, "deep" cyberpunk monologues, and lesbian orgies.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 17, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bob Quixote posted:

I was talking about Into Darkness actually yeah.

If we are talking ethnicity though, Montalban was born in Mexico but both of his parents were immigrants to the country from Spain. Are the Spanish not white? I've never really grasped what exactly falls under the umbrella of "whiteness".

There is more to it than skin color, people care a lot about facial features, ethnic and national background, like I always considered myself white but I've lived in places where I'd be interacting with hyper affluent white people where I wasn't considered white because of the food I like. People are bizarre.

This is very very very generalized, but typically if you were from a Mediterranean country like Spain or Catholic, in the US at least there was no way you were considered white until the late 50s at the earliest no matter your skin tone. JFK becoming president in 1960 had a huge influence on this too as Catholics voted for him en masse to show solidarity.

Like my parents both weren't considered white when they were young even though my mom is super pale and my dad has like the slightest olive complexion ever. A lot of this was based less on skin color and more on religious tensions and culture. And even this tension existed in the US into the 80s and even today.

Even in some brief travels and discussion today, I can say that Bernie being invited to speak with the Pope will hurt him more in some states than it will help, despite the current Pope seeming like a cool guy.

The breakdown of "races" we've grown up learning since the 70s and early 80s is recent, and didn't really start to take shape until the height of WWII as our governments wanted us to effectively fight together. Just a decade before that phrenology (the science of how if your skull didn't match the proportions of a WASP then you were a barbarian idiot fit only for grueling manual labor or a life of crime) was still a thing, the Zoot Suit Riots had just happened in 1943, etc.

There isn't really a "white enough" point, and with Ricardo Montalban being born in 1920 I'm sure he had to deal with that at some point if not often.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gyges posted:

Doesn't the Major tend to do a decent amount of body hopping since she's fully cyberized and isn't actually anything more than a ghost? It would be kind of cool to see several different people playing the Major and emphasizing that her ScarJo body isn't much different than having a really nice car that you like to drive.

Of course and that would be great but they're not going to cast someone like Scarlet Johansson and then NOT have her be the most prominent person in it.

As for almost everyone calling her Major, that's less a commentary on her existence and more a translation thing that's a hold.over from the time it was originally made. Like any Japanese police procedural/whatever from the 80s/early 90s is going to see people being called by their title or a nickname more than you'd see in the US. In manga and anime specifically, it's why there are so many characters where in the US version their literal proper name is Colonel or Duke. We only see them in the context of military action/etc. type situations.

Not saying that you're doing this, but one of the things I see people saying often now is similar, that her Japanese name doesn't matter since people call her Major, therefore she's technically actually white since blah blah blah. Like if this were directed by peak Michael Mann or something then a detail like that could again make for interesting commentary on what regard the different human characters hold AIs in or on how dispassionate they can be (It's not coincidence that in Blade Runner the humans are all referred to by their last names, and the replicants by their first), but I'm not expectating much from this director or the production team that brought us "digital yellow face testing."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Does anyone remember what the early reviews for Iron Man 2 were like?

Early reviews were the typical this is the greatest thing ever because it's not total crap oh my God everyone in it is so cool kind of stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I didn't want to argue with you on the race bit btw. I think the costume works. I don't get why it needs to look like Rita from the 90's. A creative new direction is far better than simple recreation.
The most important thing is that Banks hams it the gently caress up in her scenes. The louder, more boisterous she can be, the better.

A creative new direction would own but when someone showed me the image before context I assumed it was of a Guardians of the Galaxy of Thor 3 villain.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shageletic posted:

I'm more interested in the fact that this movie is even being made. Like, why? And, why? Also, why?

Alien - 1979
~25 years later - Alien vs. Predator releases

G.I. Joe cartoon - 1985
~25 years later - G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra releases

Power Rangers - 1994
~25 years later - This movie releases

etc. etc. etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

VJeff posted:

Please God, let "he's a good guy" be a misdirect and let him be playing Darkseid.

With the description being "he's a good guy" I'm hoping he's been cast as Guy Gardner. :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gyges posted:

Go full Dune and have Superman commune with the genetic memories of his people. While communing with the Kryptonian projenitors of the Codex it becomes clear that several of them followed Darkseid and are trying to get Kal-El to follow him to. Darkseid corrupted many of the ancient Kryptonian astronauts, and that's why their civilization withdrew to their home planet and turned inward.

The core of Darkseid being evil stemming from him being all about total personal isolation while he still hypocritically rolls around conquering places because ???? would actually make a really good foil to these past two movie's takes on Superman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Either way you could say Darkseid's presence brings out the "best" in people. :haw: That reminds me of (I have no memory of what issue/story I read this in but mid 90s or so) how 100% of the employees and guards in the mega-ruthless prison system in Darkseid's empire are people who escaped from his prisons and were then offered a job, thrilled to pass along everything they went through.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

:(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tilda Swinton..............IS..............JOHN STEWART!!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Doctor Strange writer gives the unfortunate reason Ancient One is not Asian in the movie. Pretty much what I guessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpbUf8dGq0&t=1074s

That's like the dumbest bullshit I ever heard in my life. I know Tibet is a hot topic but if they cared like that then they wouldn't have set a third of Age of Ultron in Seoul. Basically all of China, South Korea and SE Asia TURNED THE gently caress OUT for The Dark Knight just for Chin Han (Singapore). If the movie is already a juggernaut like MCU flicks and has a star people in a part of the world are familiar with they'll show up. I can't believe that guy managed to do the "but but but CHINA" bullshit and "whelp better to have no Asian character at all" at the same time.

Then again maybe I'm not, I see some MCU fans from the US legit worried about China. Like China's existence is hurting cinema as an art form. Some poor white dude's life was ruined because he heard there was a cut of Iron Man 3 9,000 miles away where a doctor is on screen for two seconds. Oh my God China.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

10 Beers posted:

I'd throw in 30 Days of Night as well.

Flash Gordon also. He's just a man, with a man's courage.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

It's weird. Inception struck a bigger chord with me emotionally than any other action movie that I have ever seen.

I haven't seen BvS but the sound design and scores in Dark Knight, Inception, and Interstellar seriously outstanding in how well they complement their movies. I think that's a big part of why those three Nolan flicks in particular resonate ( :haw: ) so strongly with people.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Finally, a third Star Wars thread.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Plus say what you want about Thor 1 but Kenneth Branagh is no joke. IIRC he said he had a lot of fun with Thor and was looking forward to returning to direct the sequel, but they didn't want to budge on the release date so we got what we got over a scheduling conflict and then them ditching their second choice halfway through filming. The Dark World is fun to see once but is basically a mess because of how they went in the direction with the villain where it would take some time to make us give a crap about anything with what he wants to do and then they basically cut almost every scene with him.

The MCU flicks having lovely villains is a given now but The Dark World was where that really set in for me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 9, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty sure if they ever asked him to play a role in any Disney/Marvel film they'd march a line of lawyers into the meeting room and present him with a very long, detailed contract with some rather novel but extremely serious stipulations written into it.

At this point he'd probably only need the single stipulation of "Davis S. Goyer is not involved in this film in any way." to be fine.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 9, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is schlock on the surface, with interesting themes and subtext. Thor is great as soon as you realize it's a tragedy with Loki as the hero.

To me the "correct" ranking would be:

12. Incredible Hulk
11. Iron Man 2
10. The Avengers
9. Avengers: Age of Ultron
8. Ant-Man
7. Iron Man
6. Thor: The Dark World
5. Thor
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
3. Iron Man 3
2. Tie between Captain America: Winter Soldier/Captain America: Civil War
1. Guardians of the Galaxy

Still to me 9~12 are the only ones I thought straight up sucked.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 11, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Stacks posted:

Everyone is aware of and loves the band Steppenwolf.

They'll probably use Desaad and make the character a combination of ideas from both.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HIJK posted:

Bucky and Steve attended the Daredevil "scream at other people for killing criminals and then throw a man head first over a 6 story railing" school of fighting.

Not to go too TVIV but this was why Elektra was my favorite thing about season 2 besides the Punisher. When the inevitable "we're not so different you and I" style conversation happens it's totally true because yes, DD actually does have a blast beating people to death. The action is crazy but still just realistic enough that the nah man they're just "knocked out" they're totally fine reasoning is impossible to apply for most of the series.

I hate Iron Man 1's fight so much because it started out cool with the various tricks Stark had to improvise to win but then at the end we see Stark hit by a blast and is fine afterwards while Staine is clearly not even in the path of the blast but then dies because.......?

I wish the rest of Ant-Man was as good as its final fight though, it's great fun.

net cafe scandal posted:

Im not going to pay 17.50 to watch a big budget episode of Star Trek.

I bet Paramount wishes someone said this before Star Trek: Nemesis was made. Remember Berman being all blustery and proud of how Shinzon was going to be "an even better and more memorable villain than Khan?" :haw: I'm glad Tom Hardy has been in some great stuff since though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hey Fox if you're reading this please cast me as Human Torch in your next Fantastic Four movie so that I can be in the MCU.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Maybe then can replace him with Gareth Evans and no one will notice.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

K. Waste posted:

said it twice in greenlit thread and saying again: Tom Green, writer and director of Freddy Got Fingered.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I kind of hate that Jeff Bridges was killed one flick in honestly. He would have been an amazing recurring corporate douchebag. Imagine the expotentially higher nerd rage at the Mandarin reveal. "YOU'RE the one behind the Mandarin?!?!!?" "Hey that's just, like, your opinion Tony."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Was the Constantine movie or series good? I skipped the movie because it felt like part of that wave of mega awful Christian apocalypse flicks, Stigmata, Bless the Child, etc. for a while that were coming out often in the late 90s/early 2000s. Not that movies like that aren't made all the time but the ones from that five year period or so studios were trying to hype up were very very very bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Captain America: Winter Soldier was a documentary:

https://medium.com/insurge-intellig...4298#.1k7pykitn

tldr: Department of Defense's long term goal is officially robots scour social media and are able to decide to kill enemies of the US based on it. :O

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Turns out that Superman is going to be appearing in SUPERGIRL after all. It's not going to be Cavil though (Please don't be Tom Welling).

At long least we can see the triumphant return, of Dean Cain.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

They should give him a 30 minute extra for this. Do some cheap animation instead of clips for the visual portion. Or just Pena talking.

It should be like Drunk History, like just have him walking through clips of all the previous films saying everyone's lines when they come up between his narration. Ideally the entire film The Avengers: Infinite War Part I would just be a two hour recap in this style and then Part II would be the actual movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hell yes South Park: The Fractured but Whole, my favorite comic book adapted into a film.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Doronin posted:

It's too bad Delroy Lindo wasn't younger. I don't know if a lot of people realize he's British. Although Ashley Walters (look him up) could probably do the role justice.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a call to arms for nerd favorite and life long London resident Idris Elba.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well, one good R-rated film, three terrible R-rated sequels and a so-so Canadian TV series. They've also been trying really hard to reboot the movie these last few years and were scheduled to start shooting earlier this year but the company who has the rights had some bankruptcy issues and then ran into some 'fire the director' issues followed by legal issues.

Cannot believe how many starts/stops a new Crow flick has had, it's like a decade now. I mean of all the comic properties out there it's literally "person/their family is killed, their ghost comes back and is real strong and hunts down their killers." I'm not saying it'd be easy to make great (as the three sequels show) but it's like revenge flick 101 stuff with some supernatural elements. Seems like it would be easy to sell.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 14, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Marisa Tomei and Tom Holland rush to the ER upon learning that Uncle Ben has been shot. He's conscious, they offer words of encouragement and love, but before tragically expiring before his time he can only offer a hushed whisper of resignation.

"I'm too old for this poo poo."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

:thejoke:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I wasn't a huge fan of the first Sin City movie but I'm watched the 2014 one on Netflix and holy poo poo this is crap and looks cheap as hell. I know basically every shot in the movie is a special effects shot because of how they make the look but almost every time anything more complicated than "two people talk to each other" happens it straight up looks unfinished, like unbelievably bad. It really stands out because there are a few moments that look great. Christopher Lloyd's scene is awesome thanks to him. :) Mickey Rourke's makeup looks really weird, I think because everything is a little brighter this time around. It looks obvious and trying too hard compared to the silhouette and look he has in Sin City 1. Obviously that was eleven years ago but I think that's more on the makeup and the movie's look than on him aging.

There's a moment that reminded me of the many "Fred Williamson is too old to do action movies now" moments of the 80s towards the end though when Mickey Rourke/Marv and Jessica Alba/Nancy are confronted by some by a trio of bikers. These guys are armed to the teeth, their leader holding one of those badass combat shotguns they use in movies a lot in each hand, and they make it clear that if Marv doesn't let them pass then Marv will die. But fortunately because they didn't have the budget or the stunt people or whatever Rourke is able to diffuse the situation by calmly walking all the way up to the lead guy and taking both of his guns away and shooting all three of them because they all just stand there motionless for the minute it takes him to do this. How polite! :)

Were small segments of this ghost directed or overseen by someone other than Frank Miller? There's a brief point where Senator Roark's magician/gambler exiled son is getting abducted and beaten, as he describes how lovely this is we see his body flatten and transition into the gleam off the fender of the car he's being driven away in. For this brief bit like Christopher Lloyd's scene everything comes together and the movie is cool and fun.

I will say one thing, besides Jamie King none of the characters with more than half a line turn in a mega awful performance like Michael Madsen in Sin City 1. Everyone's in real peak scenery chewing form, but Frank Miller is just terrible enough a scriptwriter that they the cast can't carry it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sir Potato posted:

I'm not entirely sure how you manage to write a review of Sin City 2 and not bring up even once how absolutely amazing Eva Green is in it, but here it is, I guess. Any scene without her is just garbage.

Almost every scene with her is garbage also because they rewrote her character a bit to not make any sense from what was already one of the dumber Sin City stories so that's saying a lot. Eva Green is a great actress and a beautiful person so I hope my completely forgetting to mention this helps illustrate just what a poo poo pile this movie is.

• Locked thread