Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How about some positive BvS rumours for a change?

Sweet. Hopefully she's awesome and they can just dump Superman in the later movies for some Batman/WW team-up beatdowns.

At the very least she probably gets a couple memorable setpieces - it didn't take much for pre-buzz to say Quicksilver stole the movie for DofP and Hulk for Avengers 1 because of a few scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Snyder hopes to tackle the TRUE Captain America next:

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-zack-snyder-profile/

quote:

One of these days, he’d like to make one about George Washington in the style of 300. He has a picture in his office of the Revolutionary War hero crossing the icy Delaware on his way to decimate the British in the Battle of Trenton. “We were talking about it,” Snyder says. “The first thing we asked was, well, how are we going to make it look? I pointed at this painting. It looks like 300. It’s not that hard.”

Time to get started on the Wonder Woman prequel movie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You'd think he'd be sympathetic to the idea of someone who did bad things while brainwashed. He forgave his big green buddy pretty quickly. He also had to murder his father's longtime business partner. It'll be a tough road to hoe if they really want Tony to come off as evenly justified compared to Steve - I kind of figured he'd be the villainous Batman to Steve's morally righteous Superman.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

I wonder if at some point the movies will reflect that these guys working at newspapers is a full three revolutions behind how news is actually delivered nowadays.

JJ just needs to follow Peter Parker on twitter. "DM me those action shots Pete"

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The JJ outdated newspaper stuff is sort of just a microcosm of the outdatedness of a lot of superhero tenets. Like after the Boston Marathon bombing, there were thousands of photos and videos from the event quickly circulated and shared (with some false positives to boot) but Joker will still be able to set elaborate traps, lace hospitals with bombs, purchase whatever dastardly materials and leak creepy videos to the press without any large-scale organized manhunt materializing, or the use of facial recognition/vocal recognition technology to identify his patterns. TDK makes a big deal out of Batman's spy machine but now the NSA is doing similar stuff daily. I don't mind it in the same vein as "no one recognizes Clark Kent as Superman" but to a pedantic person the existence of secret identities who simultaneously operate regularly in public in spectacular highly-visible fashion gets more and more silly, even before the powers and super-fighting skills and so on.

Although there's probably already some book out there about Old Batman feeling salty and useless because competent cops identify, track down and arrest Joker before he even gets to go all Batman over it when they use modern investigative methods. And/or Joker is a hacker who operates from his mom's basement.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Those damnable comic book :spergin:s!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Marvel vs. DC is played.

How about :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Horse_Entertainment
vs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Hat_Harry_Productions

I'm pretty fond of X-Men but the Hellboy movies are some of my favorites in terms of visual design. The goodwill from Mystery Men is cancelled out by the tag-team of The Mask and Sin City 2 though, and Usual Suspects outweighs Returns for me. I'd give it to BHH.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

the worst shot thing in existence

It's obviously this one.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Why are you comparing Paul Rudd to some masters dropout? We all want to know if Superman's farts are more powerful than the average person, but they probably won't get to that until Man Of Steel 2 unfortunately.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Slugworth posted:

This is the dumbest argument ever seen on these forums. Both studios have an awful track record on gender equality. Awful. But-but-Wonder Woman! Getting a movie after just six Superman movies and 37 Batman movies!

I pre-nominate Gal Godot for Glamour's Woman of the Year 2017.

I never saw Watchmen but when my friend wanted to watch it at his house it was like 4 hours long and it had a lengthy cartoon part in the middle. We vetoed it - that has to be an extended cut I assume? I thought it was just a normal-length movie before that and I didn't know it switched styles like that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Semper Fudge posted:

People still peddling <rumor> after it was proven wrong ... is incredible to me.

As you spend more time on The Internet, this phenomenon will become familiar to you.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

You seem real het up about this whole console "cinematic universe" war.

Batman vs Superman vs Civil War: The War

Electromax
May 6, 2007
A whole page of talking about the dude after he was probated. Tezzor won apparently, jeez.

iSheep posted:

Nothing about this video convinces me that there was intentional buildup to Civil War other than We Need To Make Civil War Now.

I think they've admitted they had two scripts, one if RDJ didn't sign on to the movie and one for Civil War if he did. Don't know if they ever announced the alternate, Serpent Society joke notwithstanding.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

It's amazing to me that if everything about Man of Steel was the same but Zod was sucked into the phantom zone with the world builder/etc. other Kryptonians and Superman cracked a one liner everyone would think this was the greatest superhero flick ever made.

Personally, I assumed he killed Zod in the 70s movie too, I've only seen the old ones once. I didn't think that was a thing at all, nor the lack of humor. It was the superhero excesses at the end that I didn't really like.

Like, I thought this scene was fantastic:

But then during all this I just found myself wondering how long the fight was and whether we'd have more good dialogue after:

I loved the middle stretch of the movie with the message from Zod, the hunt for Superman, Smallville, etc. I just thought it ended with a disappointingly bland punchathon like Matrix 3 that left me feeling more bored and exhausted, which was a bummer after the 2/3 of the film before it. Couldn't care less about the neck snap or wanting more gags.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I rewatch movies all the time, usually when I'm going to be working on something else during it and I can't pay close attention.

I also listen to my favorite music more than once, I don't think movies are much different in many of the same regards.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Sophie Turner is goddamned terrible and almost makes me not want to see the film.

Well RoboCop ain't gonna watch itself the 48th time.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Not sure if the comic book adaptation thread is the best house to throw #crass #consumerism stones in.

Instead please talk about #DoYouBleed and #WhoWillWin and other, more pure media unhindered by the desire to make money.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I realized I fundamentally could never be best friends with my college roommate after he sat in the living room while GF and I laughed at an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, and when it was over he sneered and said "this was the stupidest show I've ever seen. I can't believe anyone would ever find this funny." then walked upstairs to put on his South Park DVDs.

Disclaimer: I also laughed at several bits of Lego movie (like Morgan Freeman dying mid-sentence) and also dumb and dumber, deadpool, portlandia, broad city, pee-wee's big adventure, party down, and Dr. Strangelove. Those are other shows/movies I've seen people get into heated arguments about hilarious vs. offensively stupid.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm sorry neither of you like both funny shows and have become mortal enemies because of it.

I think the first SpongeBob movie is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

I like South Park just fine. He ended up asking me to be best man at his wedding, so apparently he doesn't put "sense of humor calibration" up there on the compatibility scale like I would.

I DO think that if someone really hated Seinfeld, that we wouldn't get along well. I think it's too emblematic of the kind of things I'm comfortable laughing at or whatever. Can understand not liking Lego's humor though, it's more frenetic and zany than even other Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks comedies of the same ilk. I think Deadpool shared some of that zaniness, it just draped it with swear words and violence.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It's supposed to look like Stop Motion. Which is what every kid with a video camera does with their Lego.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqEmpik8Z8E

Cute.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Beyond noticing, what's the point? Why should anyone care that the costumes in the movie look like Mass Effect outfits?

The intended thought process from the person who made that image is probably:

these costumes look kind of like a video game
v
the movie obviously copied the game design
v
the movie will exhibit a dearth of creativity elsewhere, as evidenced by costumes
v
movie will be a plagiarized pile of crap
v
help me complain about it

(rule does not apply when it's their favorite superhero costume/story that's being evaluated for creativity/originality though)

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I haven't seen this kind of vitriol before, either here or on various sites.

People hated Amazing Spiderman 2 and Fantastic Four, those were just expected to be reviewed badly so it was more of a given than a surprise (and F4 didn't have the same ad penetration). BvS not so much.

The vitriol from the whiniest posters isn't any different than it was for MoS, or in the opposite direction for Thor 2, Avengers 2, etc. There's always a tiny group of folks who like to dance in the schadenfreude of a troubled launch for major movie/product/game/etc, especially if the excitement is high.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I think Boob Marley had the right idea. To really get the weight of authority behind your argument, you have to appeal to the swarm - Google Trends.

Three pillars of the art form.

If this trend continues, Batman and Superman will soon become infinitely popular.

Data suggests Justice League 2 director chair should go to Adam Sandler.

EXTREMELY troubling trend here. Time running out to revive Seinfeld for season 10 and kickstart the brand.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Not my Lego.

Like, seriously, used to be that you had to build your own poo poo with Lego blocks and nowadays it's basically ready-made Lego action figures. Get off my lawn, millenial Lego!

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Classic-Large-Creative-Brick/dp/B00NHQF6MG

Insert Wayne's World <we fear change> gif here.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

If the climactic fight of Civil War actually takes place on a loving airport tarmac and begins with the two sides running at each other like the X-Men animated show opening credits, I'm going to be non-stop laughing my rear end off in the theater until an usher asks me to leave.

Double bonus points if there's a news report about how it's a good thing that it's the least busy day of the year for this airport which is basically abandoned anyway or something like that.

Might wanna just pass on the movie, as both of those things are a given.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It feels to me like the 'will it beat Marvel?!" is a fan thing first and foremost - WB would love to thump their chest about it, but ultimately they just want to make a solid chunk of money regularly. BvS seems poised to do that. JL will still have the cachet that 2012 Avengers had of heroes without a lengthy film history that Batman and Superman have, brought together in a big-budget film for the first time. They can't be gunshy the way reports paint them to be because you'll be rebooting your universe for decades before the first/second film smash all-time records. Especially if the WW movie is done well, JL could be a pretty major draw because Avengers becomes more familiar with each installment - DC is more unpredictable in how they'll play things, for better or worse (suicide squad humor-ifying rumors nonwithstanding).

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Big Lebowski and Spinal Tap.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Doctor Strange looks like Thor 1. I think its going to be really bad

Link to the trailer?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Kurzon posted:

What yardstick are you using?

Captain America represents America, the most villainous country of them all.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

broken clock opsec posted:

What's super-funny about this to me is they still had to make his WW2 enemies Double-Nazis.

Who knows why they made the decisions they did at Marvel back in the 70s. At least the Daredevil show hasn't yet done the comic bit where the Hand ninjas are also Hydras. The movies also seemingly dropped the "AIM is Hydra's scientists" connection in Iron Man 3. There's still a lot of Hydra even in the movies though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

broken clock opsec posted:

Clayface is the one remaining member of the gallery that has never been depicted in live action yet right? That's what I'd like to see them go with.

Spiderman 3 had sandman, basically the same guy named after a different corner of the soil triangle. Never seen it but I've heard it's bad though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's about as dumb as a bunch of school bus drivers not caring when a new bus emerges from a smoking bankfront to join their queue.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Here's what Cage is up to this week:
http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/vince-neil-and-nic-cage-get-into-physical-fight.html

quote:

Yesterday in Vegas, Vince Neil allegedly attacked a woman and then got into a physical altercation with Nic Cage, as the actor attempted to calm him down. According to TMZ, Cage and Neil were inside a restaurant when a woman came up to Cage and asked for an autograph. Then, "Vince allegedly got behind the woman, grabbed her by the hair, and pulled her to the ground." The video shows the end of their fight, as Cage tries to restrain Neil. Vince Neil is now the subject of a criminal investigation.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Bohemian Rhapsody and Ballroom Blitz, now SS just needs a Feed My Frankenstein trailer to compete the Wayne's World trifecta.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If you ever wondered how Marvel movies get written...

quote:

More details were provided by Infinity War's writers, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. The pair also worked on Civil War, and they revealed that much of Infinity War was mapped out during the production of that film.

"We're on set for Civil War and then as soon as they start shooting we don't have much to do for the next six hours," McFeely revealed. "We'd go to the office, read comic books, write down ideas, put everything on the wall and just go 'These are all the characters we could have.'"

"We sent in literally 60 pages of unrelated ideas," Markus added. "Just like 'Here's some stuff that could happen in this insane movie.' Then we came back from Atlanta and everyone had a copy of that [document] and they'd circle this, 'This is cool, this is insane, this is cool, we're not allowed to do that,' and from there we've pieced it together very slowly. We're in the middle of it now."

Mush a bunch of unrelated but cool ideas into a pot.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I actually saw this live in the theater and I can honestly say that you millennials got robbed.

Somebody screamed.

Millenials only scream when a YouTube celebrity says their name on a stream, and you'll never understand the ecstacy of THAT recognition.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Once everyone's favorite three headed dragon king has made an appearance, nobody will give a poo poo about a large monkey.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

At least they're seemingly going into full on magic. Supposedly one of the Creative Committee notes for THOR was that they have to have some real world scientific explanation for how Thor was able to cross over etc.

At the end Nick Fury will show up in Strange's house and explain that all the magic was just nanobots developed by Shield but they're being hacked by Hydra so all the magic is about to Go Evil unless Doc does something about it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The joke is that Aunt May is fuckable.

In the R-rated director's cut, Tony can just come right out and say that. We're in the post-deadpool era now, everything has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
As it's been discussed around here before, sounds like a Thanos-centric GotG2 or Thor 3 is unlikely:

quote:

The death-obsessed Thanos has been lurking in the background of the Marvel Cinematic Universe ever since his mysterious appearance at the end of the first Avengers film. However, aside from a short role atop his throne in Guardians Of The Galaxy and another post-credits appearance in Age Of Ultron we haven’t exactly learned a whole lot about him onscreen. All that will change soon, according to screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, who promise a huge entrance for Thanos In Avengers: Infinity War. "We don't get an element of surprise. Everyone knows he's coming, and yet he hasn't had terribly many scenes that have illuminated very much about him," Markus explained, adding, "You can count on a lot of scenes where we illuminate a lot about him very early."

Thanos’ entrance into the wider MCU isn’t the only task they face. With the amount of characters expected to be included in both films, it's certainly no small chore to make sure everyone gets their due. "The challenge is hanging on to character as motivation when you blow the canvas up to the entire universe. And not to make it seem like all your people look like tiny little video game characters running around," McFeely shared. "It's just trying to balance character moments in the middle of big, crazy Jim Starlin ['Thanos' creator] action," added Markus.

Made me wonder what's the most films a villain as appeared in as a villain (where they are not also protagonist)? Plenty of villains in 2 flicks, what about recurring villain 3+ times? Just thinking if they had IW1+2 about him and a precursor movie to have 3 with him as the main antagonist, would've needed a meatier core than the usual Marvel villains to sustain.

I guess Vader counts, some guys from James Bond maybe, most of the others I can think of sideline the villain or turn him into a sort-of ally by the 3rd movie. But like, the main big bad, 3 times. Even Magneto is iffy in X2.

• Locked thread