Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Obviously making Lucifer a police procedural was a misstep, but I'm also puzzled at making him super British, and I don't mean the actor portraying him having a British accent, he clarifies with someone who said "pants" that he meant trousers. He's supposed to have been in LA for 5 years when the show starts, I know several UK expats and they are never confused when I say "pants."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah in the comics he was just David Bowie as the devil

It just struck me as a weird detail to include. Like, if they get a second season and one of the episodes revolves around a murder at the new Rams stadium is he going to walk around saying "Oh, you mean 'American Football,"?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

computer parts posted:

Maybe God is just British.

That would make even less sense, because then God's rebellious son would likely identify more with Britain's rebellious colony andthink Soccer sucks and would never say "trousers."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I still don't get it. Is it a Marvel vs DC thing? Why leave off the Batman movies? Dark Knight would handily be first and Rises would be second (a little lower on his older table).

That's likely the reason they got left off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I actually really hate the "Supes did 9/11" sentiment as well as the Thunderbolt Ross scene at the beginning of this new trailer implying that super people are responsible for disasters they get involved with. It strikes me as going up to a firefighter and saying "gee you seem to be at the scene of a lot of burning buildings".

The superheros should be like "okay yeah we won't stop the next alien invasion then :jerkbag:" and walk out of the room.

Well, to be fair, http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/2010/07/murphy-firefighter-arsonists.html

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jutsuka posted:

Taking a closer look at the screen where Thunderbolt Ross is showing the clips from previous films the canon deathtoll is as follows:

The Avengers
Overall losses $18.8 billion, 74 casualties.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Overall losses $2.8 billion, 23 casualties.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Overall losses $474 billion, 177 casualties.

So in three films depicting an alien invasion of New York led by an Asgardian god, three helicarriers crashing in the middle of Washington D.C. and a rogue A.I. intent on engineering an extinction level event the total loss of life is 274 people.

If we took Iron Man's boast about "privatizing world peace" as accurate in Iron Man 2, The Avengers are significantly less costly and more humane than real world America's interventionist strategies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I have no idea where this came from but I love the Cavill bit

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/708085828984016896

:haw:

If this is accurate it's the best loving thing you've ever posted, but since you posted it, I'm going to assume it's not true.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Deadpool making fun of Spider-Man for doing something that looks derivative strikes me as a little wrong.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

justdan posted:

Yeah, I hate when Superheroes in Superhero Movies actually, you know, save people!

I want some *realism* and real "unsanitized" violence in my film about an alien demigod in blue spandex and red cape fighting other aliens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8EydFeuPK8

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

how about just not thinking about shipping, though? Like, at all.

Too late, lover.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

computer parts posted:

And DC has Super Girl.

And iZombie, which is probably the best comic book tv show that's not on Netflix.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Electromax posted:

I pre-nominate Gal Godot for Glamour's Woman of the Year 2017.

I never saw Watchmen but when my friend wanted to watch it at his house it was like 4 hours long and it had a lengthy cartoon part in the middle. We vetoed it - that has to be an extended cut I assume? I thought it was just a normal-length movie before that and I didn't know it switched styles like that.

Yeah, there's 3 different versions, theatrical, director's cut and "complete" or something like that. Only the third one has the cartoon bit in the middle. I think the director's cut has the cartoon as a separate feature.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tezzor posted:

"Wall of text" = one medium-sized paragraph

Again, it's not the simple fact that they see "a movie" "differently" than you. It's the specifics: which movie or movies, and the reasons they profess as to why they see them differently, both of which are so incredibly stupid and nonsensical to extent that the theory that they are trolling you is in fact the charitable position.

If that's your definition of medium I suddenly understand why I medium sodas at movie theaters are now the size of what I would expect a large popcorn to be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The MSJ posted:

It was Bay directing a Spielberg movie.

But you'd think the poster boy for "shared universe" would care. It just shows that these movies and TV shows are better off being unconnected.

I think a key thing is no one involved with the movies gives a poo poo about AoS.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The bus scene.

That's a father arguing with himself about what he's willing to sacrifice to protect his son. Clark saved the kids in the bus, then he saves the oil rig workers. Like, yes characters we are sympathetic to talk about letting people die so Clark can protect himself, but any time Clark has a choice between saving someone and protecting himself, he saves someone.

The only exception to that is at the explicit instruction of his dad, and it's completely understandable that a father would sacrifice himself for his son, and that a son would have a hard time disobeying his father.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tezzor posted:

I don't recall saying I have no bias. I do have no particular bias in favor of wanting a film I have no personal or financial stake in to be successful. Even if I happened to particularly care about the characters, if it sucks, at this point big-name comic book movies are like the subway; wait ten minutes and a reboot will come along

You clearly have a bias against the film. Which is fine, but don't be so loving high and mighty about it, pretending you are only making objective observations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Also the context of the scene is that inside the house the mother of Clark's bully is trying to get the Kents to admit their son is touched by the hand of God or some poo poo, which is the exact sort of thing any parent wouldn't want heaved onto their twelve year old kid. Even the composition of the establishing shot puts Clark outside, alone, sitting on a swing. He's ostracized enough as it is. When Jonathan approaches him, he scolds him a bit, telling him that he has to keep this side of him a secret. And then Clark asks an impossible question to answer, and Jonathan, being human, fumbles it the slightest bit. And he decides that this is the moment to come clean to Clark about everything. And so he does. And explains why Clark has to keep his powers secret. Jonathan wants him to figure out why he was sent here before he embraces that he came from out there.

He's not teaching him to be paranoid, he's telling him he needs to understand himself before he makes decisions that will sooner or later, weigh on humanity's destiny. He's heaving heavy poo poo on his kid, but telling him that he shouldn't put that weight on his shoulders until he understands why he needs to.

That whole scene is so distinctly rewritten and un-Goyer that I figure both Jon Nolan and Kurt Johnstad finagled with it quite a bit before it was shot. There's a lot of room left for the physical acting to do work in that scene (Jonathan can't even look at Clark when he says "maybe"; Costner plays it as a shameful admittance, not a coercive argument).

Costner is one of my favorite parts of that movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ramadu posted:

I was thinking of the bus scene wheree his dad is like kill 'em all

That's the worst reading of a scene I've ever read.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I realized BvS might be the most comic booky comic book movie ever made, in that if it was an actual arc in the comics, no one would blink twice at the absurd timing and bizarre science stuff. We just expect a different level of realism when there are actual people on screen than in a comic or cartoon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Squinty posted:

Do you know what was specifically cut or are you just accepting on faith that studios are bad? 2.5 hours seems more than generous for the story being told.

I'm at least curious about it.

I'm also curious about Joss Whedon's 4 hour cut of Avengers 2, but I'm pretty sure that's still going to be terrible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doflamingo posted:

The movie made no sense. Why couldn't Lois Lane grab the spear on her own? Why did Batman shoot a tracking device at the truck then go Mad Max on it instead of waiting? Why did he shoot the tracking device to begin with instead of grabbing the kryptonite straight from the ship? Why did Superman immediately succumb to Lex's threat instead of using his super powers to locate his mom? Couldn't he have just thrown the spear at Doomsday? I mean did he really have to suicide bomb the fucker? Why did Lex take the time to design neat logos for all the meta humans? How did Bruce and Diana happen to meet at the museum thingy? What was Lex's purpose in bombing Capitol Hill? The senator wasn't a threat and he didn't try to frame Superman for it like any normal person watching the film would expect him to. What the hell did Lex think Doomsday would do if it wins? Holy poo poo why did they kill Jimmy Olsen so needlessly? I think the Flash warning Batman in a dream when they haven't even met yet is kinda weird, don't you? Why didn't Zod use Doomsday in the first film since it was there all along?

And a bunch of other stuff that I'm probably forgetting.

Lois would die before she got close enough to stab Doomsday, because once they unloaded the truck he wouldn't know where the kryptonite was, drama, because he might miss, probably not but again drama, because Lex is insane, Diana tracked Bruce to the museum to return the hard drive, to gently caress with Superman, Lex was insane, drama, yeah that was weird, Zod is Doomsday.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 26, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doflamingo posted:

He had other Kryptonians with him that would've gladly given their lives for the cause I'm sure. What about all the other points? Oh, and I just thought of another dumb thing: so Metropolis is getting its poo poo kicked by a world destroying machine and everyone at the Wayne building feels the need to wait for confirmation from the man himself before escaping? What the hell kind of operation was Wayne running there? It was beyond stupid.

Doomsday was created by mixing human and kryptonian blood, Zod 1) probably didn't know that would happen and 2) would have thought it an abhorrent crime against nature if he did.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So Superman ignored Batman for all this time? The Joker? I believe Alfred mentions offhand that him and Bruce have been fighting crime for 20 years

BvS starts 18 months after Man of Steel. 18 of those 20 years Superman didn't exist. When Joker was pulling his poo poo Clark Kent was probably a day laborer in Alaska or whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Is there a DC origin story that doesn't involve a dead parent?

Wonder Woman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I was legit curious about that, actually. :v: Maybe a similarly older, grizzled Talia al'Ghul?

Not that any of the four women in this movie ever speak to another about anything but Superman, and of the four two are damsels in distress and a third is killed.

The dead one doesn't actually ever say anything does she?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cythereal posted:

She does. It's the senator. Lois and Martha Kent, then Wonder Woman.

Also, Marvel put together a video about the lead-up to Civil War.

I was thinking of Lex's black haired assistant. I apparently have issues with counting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

"Anybody else violently assault a teenager because they don't care enough about Batman?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

...no, the chart isn't wrong per se. You're just wrong to think that it's anything but common practice to include Thursday night previews in Friday grosses. Neither of the Avengers films, or IM3, or TDKR, or now BvS, made anywhere near as much in a single day as that chart would have it.

The thing about including Thursday in the Friday totals that it made sense when the only Thursday showings started at 11:59 pm. I saw BvS at 630 pm on Thursday, that's 3 separate showings before Friday I don't think any of the other movies you mention in your post had 3 extra showings on Thursday (actually 6 where I saw it, because they had 2 screens, one 3d, one 2d). Star Wars is the only other movie I can think of that had that many early screenings, and that's loving Star Wars, of course it was going to make all the loving money.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Ben Affleck may not have done rewrites for BvS, but he did write an entire Batman movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-affleck-has-written-his-879355

I think I'm more excited about this than any officially announced DC or Marvel film.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I mean, given the critical evaluation of it, this actually sounds 100% plausible? I remember hearing that, while crew screenings went well, test screenings to the public got mildly positive reactions at best.

Barring an unprecedented 2nd week drop off, BvS is going to do fine.

Timby posted:

Except BvS had already been crushing advance ticket sales records when Faraci published his semi-weekly "I hate WB" screed.
Edit: Quoting this for the new page.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

I want so badly for Scarecrow to be in more Batman movies. Just think of the nerd theories if it's Murphy again.

Him showing up randomly is the best part of DKR and I would love for that to keep happening.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm tempted to say nobody comes off well on Twitter but Jesus, Devin.

Lexi Alexander is the champion of twitter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I always liked the look of Spawn. Never read the comics, but for some reason I bought all those drat action figures. I think they're forever stuck in boxes.

These were neat though.

One of these toys is not like the others.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There are two Wolverines and two whoever that dude with the sunglasses is, as well, and probably others that I haven't spotted yet.

Luke Cage punching out old school looking Power Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I remember when I was in 6th grade and Titanic came out, a few of the girls would brag about having seen it six or seven times.

I saw Fury Road twice. I know a few people who saw Deadpool three times. Other than Fury Road, I don't think I've even seen a movie twice in theaters.

Titanic is a different beast all together, you really can't compare its fans viewing habits to, like, anything else. Although apparently my grandmother watched the Errol Flynn Robin Hood in theaters like a dozen times.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was easier when a movie ticket was two bits.

While it was certainly cheaper back then, there was more to it. I don't think it's a coincidence that my mother's name is Robin.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

There's a Star Wars podcast I listen to and I think each of the three hosts has seen Force Awakens 20 times now, which is just mind-boggling.

...but not as mind-boggling as the fact that the main host apparently saw The Phantom Menace 76 times in theaters. I know this because he recently complained about how mean people are by making fun of him for this.

This is autism spectrum poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hollismason posted:

As I've said I've watched The Empire Strikes Back every week for 20 or so years. So I've seen it probably close to over a 1000 times. I've got about 75% to 85% of the dialogue memorized. It's just a weird thing I do to relax. I also just put it on when I'm doing work at my house or I'm reading a book or if I'm trying to go to sleep.

Basically, I started doing this when I was around 14 with a VHS copy which I'd just endlessly watch whenever I had to study for school. Then when I went to college I did the same thing except it was on my computer at that point. So I'd just watch it or put it on when I wanted to go to sleep. Then when I was working as a EMT if I had a bad day I'd end my shift with watching it.

So now it's a actual like weird OCD thing.

I'm mostly surprised you've seen Empire Strikes Back 1000 times and aren't even 90 percent on the dialog.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timby posted:

The first and third acts are fine. The "Thor on Earth" stuff brings the movie to a screeching halt.

That's like my favorite part. Thor slamming his coffee mug on the floor and demanding another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

That and if they somehow kill the Flash they will have the whole world on their asses.

I love the relationship Wally West has with the Rogues, they even come to his birthday parties :3:

Too bad DC had to make him a troubled black youth who can run really fast (you'd think they would see the implications of this)

Half of BSS couldn't understand why it'd be a problem to call the black Spider-Man "Spider-Boy" and they're more progressive than most about minority representation in comics, so that's not surprising at all.

• Locked thread