Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alhazred posted:

It kinda does, the costumes in the movie isn't even that different from the comics: http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Valerian-Comic-Book-Luc-Besson.jpg

Those costume designs are almost completely different beyond the basest similarities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Dave posted:

This extended cut is really becoming everyone's go-to for shortcomings with the film.

Well, it's inevitable, it always is when this sort of thing happens. However that doesn't mean it is necessarily wrong. I think it's premature to claim 'the extended cut will fix everything" without seeing it though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

There's a very vocal, very large Marvel vs DC bias that is drowning out people who just want to genuinely enjoy the film.

The Marvel vs DC thing is just fuckin' tiring on both sides. It's even more pathetic than console fanboying because there's no actual investment there. Marvel doing well isn't going to kill DC films or vice-versa.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

There's a legitimately large chance of Disney/Marvel taking over how superhero movies, and to a lesser extent, summer blockbusters are created for a while. If alternatives don't succeed, there is a chance for a bit of a genre monopoly as people try to ape them or fail, which no movie fan should want.

That's going to happen regardless because those films still make absurd amounts of money and there's a good chance Civil War (which is also a sequel to a stand-alone film where the protagonist ends up battling another superhero over thinly veiled political allegory) will outperform BvS. It seems pretty unlikely that WB will suddenly change tactics now and Fox has always done their own thing. Fanboying over which side should win assumes one is going to win and not just that we'll keep getting different films from different studios.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

She does. It's the senator. Lois and Martha Kent, then Wonder Woman.

Also, Marvel put together a video about the lead-up to Civil War.

Every single preview for this makes it look like a film that would make more sense if Steve Rogers was fighting with Tony Stark because he wants to break up and go back to his old ex Bucky.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Isn't BvS making like all the money right now?

It's doing very well for a first week but the major question will be the retention it has. There's no potential major releases next week so it has a good chance of having a strong second week too but it is also getting (while not unfavorable) less positive buzz than the first film so it may see a sharper decline. It's hard to say.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I think there could be a big drop but I also think with such a huge opening you aren't going to see it bottom out to the point where it goes from "sets March records" to "wasn't a financial success". I am not super invested in how well it does financially outside of hoping it doesn't derail Justice League plans, but again since JL is already filming and BvS looks to be at least a moderate success, I don't see that happening either.

I'm sure it's going to be a success. I doubt it will have THAT huge a dropoff. At best it's the difference between a big success and a huge success.

I've said it before but I'm sure we're going to hear a lot about it once Civil War comes out because (tedious or not) it's the big competitor to BvS. If Civil War significantly outperforms BvS then you're going to hear a lot of commentary about that particular result and same vice-versa. I doubt either film will do poorly and mostly it's going to be more fodder for the tedious inter-company slapfights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

Here is the full chart. Use it to create your opinions/feelings.

ImpAtom posted:

tedious inter-company slapfights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Civil War will absolutely make more money. That's not even in question. It will get 'better reviews' as well, as no-one will deride or praise it as passionately.

It's a Spiderman prequel on top of sequelizing like six other franchises. The one factor against it might be if Age Of Ultron's mediocrity has cooled enthusiasm for the Avengers franchise aspect, but even that's highly unlikely.

Yeah, that's my feeling too. Iron Man and Spider-Man are two of the most profitable IPs next to Batman and they're all being beerslammed together. It's going to make a ton of money regardless of its quality and you're going to hear a lot of 'see, that's proof BvS was bad" stuff.

Also lol at the idea that Olivia Munn doesn't actually enjoy nerdy stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have the hardest time remembering literally anything about Thor 2. It's just so forgettable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Thanks for double post, SA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm still not sold on Hemsworth in the role, or in the character at all since I was never really a fan of the comic version of the character and the Thor standalone films totally failed to get me invested in the character. His character arc was pretty much "Start out as a mild jerk, learn to accept responsibility and thus becomes less of a jerk" which doesn't really cut it.

To be fair that's the arc of every MCU character except Captain America.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why is it the only way a lot of people seem to envision a challenge to a superhero is "how hard can he punch? He punched that hard? Ergo he wins every fight why would anyone want to see anything less?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If it really does a 70% drop and doesn't pick it up in overseas markets that's gonna be pretty damning. A complete and utter disaster isn't really accurate considering its strong start but WB is clearly expecting longer legs considering the total lack of competition.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

How much of Batman v Superman's budget was recuperated by licensing deals before it even came out?

Probably almost all of it if MoS is an example but it also isn't a film being made as a benefit and they expect more than recouping their budget.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Blockbuster movies are basically large advertising platforms for toys. The fact that they're advertising platforms that pay for themselves is a side benefit.

Right, which is why the dropoff is a bad thing. If people aren't going to see the commercials over and over there's a good chance the actual toy sales are (while probably not bad) not as good as they hope.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Do people see films repeatedly?

Fairly regularly, especially kids, and if they don't then they're recommending it to other people instead. Dropoff means you're not getting repeat viewing and not getting recommendations.

That said we'll see if the dropoff is as large as anticipated.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HIJK posted:

I saw each LOTR film more than ten times. FOTR was 18 times, TTT 16 and ROTK 17. I wrote it all down in a journal which is how I know this.

I... I guess I'm impressed you found enough time in the day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That was Clancy Brown, not Ironside.

No, Clancy Brown was Lex Luthor, Ironside was Darkseid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Double post

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darkseid is basically evil incarnate. Which sounds kind of 'oh, yeah, a lot of things are' but the mythology of the New Gods really builds up the idea he is not merely a bad guy but the literal incarnation of corruption and evil. lovely writers make him a guy who is hard to punch, good writers express the idea of him being a metaphysical concept that can corrupt and influence things around him. BvS seems like they're looking towards the latter but we'll see if that pans out or if he just gets punched through a building and explodes .

Edit: The latter is not a reference to Zach Snyder but to lovely Darkseid writers, just to be clear.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 4, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The response to Batfleck has been so overwhelmingly positive I'm sure they want to speed it along because drat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is that poor phrasing or is he in fact saying they were told to do reshoots because it was too dark? Twitter isn't great at conveying things.

Edit: Ah, missed the link.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

He's gonna show up and single handedly kick Thanos' rear end then ride off into the sunset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8ob0BAkOs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spoiler: If anyone dies it's going to be Captain America whereupon Bucky will take over until Captain America returns to help fight Thanos or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain America dying doesn't mean Chris Evans isn't coming back, just that they set up a dramatic status quo for Part 1 of Infinity War.

I wouldn't be surprised if IW Part 1 downplays a lot of the original Avengers so they can dramatically return in part 2 for various reasons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyges posted:

This seems like a weird way to watch movies. When you watched Batman vs Superman were you distracted by waiting for the part where Doomsday showed up?

Yes, actually, that happens to me a lot. If I see something in a trailer then it changes how I watch a film. if someone appears to die and I haven't seen a scene with them already then I know they're not dead and so-on. I don't particularly care because it was my decision to watch the trailer but it's not hard to have those things in your head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Twist: Civil War is just an elaborate 80's sex comedy and Vision starts wearing turtlenecks to hide the hickeys Scarlet Witch gave him from Aunt May.

But gosh, Sam, both Tony AND Bucky want to take me to the prom, who do I go with?! This could be my only chance!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Like Bucky and Cap would go to prom with anyone other than each other.

Immersion ruined.

But Tony is the hot popular rich kid and Bucky's the greasy long-haired bad boy...

Honestly Civil War should just be a remake of the Breakfast Club starring Tony, Steve, Bucky, Vision and Scarlet Witch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PiedPiper posted:

In a world inhabited by MODOK, Mojo and Mole Man, Aunt May is still somehow the least fuckable living being.

Mole Man disagrees.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The super-heavy emphasis on his swishing tail is interesting, it gives it a fairly distinctive silhouette even from a distance even by Godzilla standards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nobody ever remembers that Bane got whitewashed as hell too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The same review says there is a meddler who is responsible for sparking the conflict, though it claims their reasoning is also ambiguous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Maybe the truth is always somewhere in the middle" is possibly the only argument dumber than "My side is always right."

computer parts posted:

Cap in the MCU is definitely Libertarian as hell though. In fact, he does the whole "Randian Superman" thing a lot more than Snyder does with Superman or whatever.

Civil War Cap basically always has to be, yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The secret of BvS is that the extended cut is literally nothing but piss jar scenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shageletic posted:

So a jar of piss figured prominently in the most high profile movie of 2016 so far I'm gathering? The gently caress?

Well, yeah, but who is surprised at a jar of piss in Deadpool?

Unless you mean overseas in which case I don't think Zootopia had a jar of piss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Equeen posted:

I'm just frustrated that a jar of piss is getting more outrage than a white-as-gently caress Ancient One.

The Ancient One isn't really new news unfortunately and it's kind of gone both ways. Some people argue that it is a good chance because the Ancient One was an offensive stereotype and others argue it is whitewashing. Both arguments were made when she was first announced for the role.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

But where did they get the magic metal?

Unless it was that weird glowing alien poo poo from the Avengers movies and Spider-Man Homecoming, I'm not buying that part.

It's just a natural resource they happen to have though possibly aliens stuck it there or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Timby posted:

Ed Skrein backed out of the Hellboy reboot for an entirely justifiable reason:

https://twitter.com/edskrein/status/902244967296491520

Good on him. That's helluva respectable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like one of the biggest running themes of Marvel 616 is that Reed Richards is basically Rick, right up to and including being a giant dickbag who refuses to actually use his brain to help people and instead just feeds his ego constantly

I wouldn't say that.

Reed Richards is largely defined by being someone who wants to do the right thing but unfortunately has a skewed and somewhat arrogant view of what the right thing is. He constantly wants to help people but his view of what helps people tends to be esoteric, long-term, or focused on whatever specific problem currently interests him. He also is narrowminded in focusing on large problems over small personal problems until it bites him in the rear end. The Maker (the actual for-real supervillain verison of Reed) is someone who began focusing on large problems without ANY of the small problems taken into account.

• Locked thread