Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

wyoming posted:

poo poo, if they've given her the Rogue treatment, I'm gonna be pissed.

No one ever gave a gently caress about Jubilee, now matter how hard Marvel tried to convince us otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Sometimes, just sometimes, once in a blue moon, if you're lucky, you can catch a glimpse of the real SuperMechagodzilla

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Plenty of people liked the movie. It's just a loving trash fire.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

A total stranger to comics could watch that animated movie and follow along just fine. If anything it's like the perfect starting point. Each scene is very purposeful and each line of dialogue is deliberate and necessary. There's basically no weird filler at all because they knew they had one story to tell and they told it.

Edit: anyone remember the scene they showed in BvS where Lois walks forward a bit and then falls down into a puddle. Just one of a hundred absolutely pointless scenes that add nothing

Doesn't she almost drown later in the film? Foreshadowing!!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

If they really wanted to make a realistic BvS, it should have been revealed that Batman died the first time he tried swinging from a roof top.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

[quote="Snowglobe of Doom" post="457961976"]
Superman II back in 1980 was operating under standard superhero/action movie rules so when he killed Zod that time he looked like this:

... but when the DCCU Superman kills Zod he looks like this:

MoS wasn't trying to be standard comicbook/action movie and it instead decided to question the cliched comicbook resolution by asking "What if you can't neatly make the problem go away? What if you don't get the triumphant happy ending? What if the good guy doesn't have all the answers just because he's the good guy?"

It's more interesting that the Superman II photo is of a Superman, when confronted by a problem he couldn't out punch, instead resorted to outsmarting the villains. MoS didn't even try to consider that approach.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

No evidence they died. I mean, Clark managed to walk to the Fortress of Solitude in nothing but a JC Penny's jacket.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Deadline articles about box office and audience reception can be scarily detailed.

He also made an identical post in TWO other threads.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The most entertaining part about the Spawn comics will always be the legal battle between McFarlane and Neil Gaiman and the wacky outcome. :v:

(Short short version if anyone isn't familiar with the story: McFarlane reprinted issues he'd co-created with Gaiman but didn't pay Gaiman any royalties. Gaiman sued and part of the out-of-court settlement was that Gaiman gained full control of Angela, a character he'd created for those issues. Gaiman then went and sold the character to Marvel for $1 as a final 'gently caress you' to McFarlane.)

You forgot the best bit: supposedly the whole reason Image was formed was to protect "Creator's rights". As long as said creator doesn't create a popular character that can be exploited, that is.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Probably saw films like Return of the Jedi, Temple of Doom, Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Goonies, and Back to the Future about ten times each in theaters, but then again these were summer films in 83-85 when home video wasn't really a thing yet (we didn't get our first VCR until 86).

I first saw Ghostbusters at a drive-in.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'm confused. All the Marvel movies are bad now in the light of BvS?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I was more impressed that Marvel somehow got Robert Redford to be in a superhero movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I just think it's stupid as gently caress to call it a :gay: cinematic universe :gay:.

It's two movies and then a crossover movie. It's not a loving cinematic universe.

Every film now is a cinematic universe to someone. When the trailer for 10 Cloverfield Ln came out, there were people talking about how exciting it was to have another film in the Cloverfield universe.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gyges posted:

You've got to do something with her front teeth too, though. Maybe glue some chiclets on there to make them look like buck teeth?

That attempt at CGI could be interesting in the future though. Pay a big name actor a licensing fee, hire an unknown to do the role and see if they catch on, and tell the public that it's totally A List actor playing the part using the CGI program that totally exists.

Couldn't they just do a Cloud Atlas?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/RealHughJackman/status/724568571104362496

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Kryptonite that turns Superman into a Superdick, Clark split in two to fight his dark half personified by Superman, and a supercomputer built to kill Superman that, among other things, assimilates someone Borg-style in a pretty fuckin' scary sequence all considered, definitely belonged in a better movie overall.

Also, Annette O'Toole.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also, hey Metropolites: when the big Kryptonian scout ship starts shooting lightning out of it that's your cue to get the gently caress ooooooooout....have y'all learned nothing?

Edit: Burks is right tho, they were hosed no matter what they decided to do.

Luthor creates Doomsday in a secret bunker out in an base in the middle of nowhere. Since he's super rich, he's bought up miles and miles of the surrounding area to make sure no one comes snooping around. Since he's paranoid about anyone truly finding out what's being created there, he keeps strict control over who has access and when they have access. When he decides to unleash Doomsday, he tricks Batman and Superman into coming out there, so he can spring Doomsday upon them without warning.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Burkion posted:

Oh that CGI has not aged well.

Still looked better than Avengers Hulk.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has Ruffalo ever considered playing Columbo? He could easily pull off the "Eh, one more thing".

He was actually considering playing him on the big screen. I think there's a lot of hesitation due in no part to how iconic Peter Falk made the role.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is there a reason Marvel isn't doing everything in their power to get Brad Bird to direct a Marvel movie?

Did he lose Disney a poo poo load of money because of Tomorrowland?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, but it never had great ratings. They tried to cancel it after season 2, but only kept it because they had nothing to replace it with. They semi-cancelled it after season 4 by getting rid of the creator and moving the timeslot, then the final season was an online only Yahoo! streaming exclusive.

It was basically the unwanted foster child of network TV. The show itself was making metajokes about being cancelled in season 3.

30 Rock was making all those jokes too. Better even.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The bad: the front half drags a bit, the plot point where the Feds make a deal with Jigsaw didn't quite ring true to the film's interior logic, the score wasn't great and the side plot with the dead Fed agent's family either needed to be punched up or pulled back. My main problem (and I guess a major factor in the general audience's reaction to the film) was the I just didn't buy Ray Stevenson as The Punisher. He just looked and emoted way too much like a slightly annoyed middleaged Dad rather than a guy who'd been obsessively hunting down and murdering gangsters for five years.

Funny, I like Ray the best out of all the Punishers that have been cast.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'm more amused by the people who get upset when someone didn't like the film, than those who just didn't like the film, and have to treat it as a personal affront that someone didn't like something they liked.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Johns hires Richard Donner to direct new Superman film, MoS fans scream "Not my Superman!", failing to see irony.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

They should have gone with the Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yaws posted:

it's a combination of things

In this shot the excessive head space, the cops in the forefront and Caps dorky costume make him look like a 10 year old on Halloween.

Marvel's The Avengers: The Musical

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

For a while there it looked like we were going to get a big budget Conan film at Warner Bros developed by the Wachowskis or even John Milius again but the people who own the rights to most of Robert E. Howard’s characters (Paradox Entertainment/Fredrik Malmberg) got sick of WB dragging their feet so they struck a new deal with Millennium Films with the proviso that they start filming within a year or pay an extra million for every year they hadn't started production. Warner kept the rights to all the scripts they'd developed up to that point so Millennium had to start from scratch and they rushed through a bunch of scripts and a bunch of rewrites but they also couldn't nail down a director for ages and the end result was a rushed mess that no one was happy with.

The film actually made less than either of the first two Conan films even though they were released in the 80s. Nice work Paradox/Malmberg, that "Push through production no matter what" plan worked out great!

I've said it before, but the new Conan film felt like it was made by people whose only knowledge of Conan was from the low budget European rip offs of Conan from the mid eighties.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Clark Kent would still help people even if he didn't have powers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So this is obviously about the comic but I got Watchmen and am reading it now. I got it on the strength of the recommendations in here about how it's morally ambiguous, complex and the earlier post explaining how it examines different ethical positions and which character you side with says a lot about you. That's fascinating and is what prompted me to buy it first thing when I got money.

But...well, let's just say that, going into Chapter 2, Alan Moore must be the best writer ever if he can salvage Rorschach. Right now he's about as likable as some dirt between your toes. Right-wing jingoistic homophobes (who smell bad) are not characters most people would side with and if Moore can really end up making his brand of insane morality tenable, I will be incredibly impressed.

You're not supposed to like Rorschach.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Shouldn't tiny Linda Carter be a spoiler?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/JaredLeto/status/754072770363822080

I can't wait to finally see Leto's take on the Joker.

Someone pointed out that The Tattoo Man is the actually villain of the film. What if the Joker's tattoos were actually placed on him by Tattoo Man as a means of controlling him?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Should've gone with the Monica Rambeau version on Capt Marvel, that's all I'm saying.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Ehhh. I mean, it's not uncommon for people to call out for their mothers before dying (there are accounts of people doing it in WWII, for instance) so it wouldn't be crazy for him to say "he's going to kill my mom" or "you have to save my mom." I think what irks people about the line is that it isn't as humanizing using her first name in a scene where humanizing Superman is what gets Batman to snap out of it.

I think Superman saying "Save my mother" would have been more powerful than "Save Martha". The whole film sets up Bats not being able to see anything other than Superman's alien nature. Having Superman, in his moment of death pleading with Batman, not to spare him, but save his mother instead, would have been just as effective, narrative wise, at snapping Bats out of her murder rage. He would see Superman, for the first time, as not someone alien, but as someone human, who has a mother that he holds above his own existence. Batman wasn't able to save his own mother, but now he could save someone else's.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

At least the TV suit doesn't have sculpted abs. And the red breaks up the suit nicely (and there appears to be some yellow in there).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I love the idea of watching a movie on a huge projector screen but doing it standing up and thinking "god I wish I had a couch."

You can't afford a floor?!?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rhyno posted:

As expected, people are losing their poo poo over this and I am loving every second.

I find it funny that some of the people I follow on Twitter who are vehemently defending this casting by saying ANYONE who disagrees with it is racist, not a single one of them was championing Marvel making a movie about the black female Capt Marvel. Nope, they were all sooooooo thrilled that Brie Larson was cast instead.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

One of the villains is played by the star of Multiplicity. :D

Andie McDowell?!!?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Drifter posted:

Zack Snyder gave an interview where he said something along the lines of "I'm really glad that these COmic Book Movies are somewhat old hat now because you can finally tell a story, rather than have a thing be empty, distracting spectacle."

BvS was a legit good movie (there are certainly a few criticisms regarding delivery), but it's still sad to see people approach it like the more prolific MCU. And this dude's reasoning for calling it a dud, naming it leaden and implausable and witless, is just so lazy and stupid it kinda hurts.

I think "empty, distracting spectacle" describes BvS perfectly.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

The couple of skits he's done with Stewart Lee are pretty great, as are Stewart Lee interviewing him. If being a deconstructionist comic doesn't work out for Stewart Lee after three decades of it, he should consider a career interviewing counterculture figures.

I'm surprised you didn't mention DeVito as penguin. That is the gold standard of 'good loving luck to the next guy' in terms of defining a character in the public imagination.

Most people I know, when the think of The Penguin, they think of Burgess Meredith, not Devito. Hell, most have to be reminded of that Batman Returns even exists.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sony Entertainment CEO is quitting and Sony is considering selling off its entire Movie and TV division. This includes the IP rights to Spiderman animated and live action films.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/19/sony-is-weighing-a-sale-of-film-tv-business/

Warner Bros should buy it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

A reboot after the last reboot?

Eventually someone is going to make a movie where the franchise reboots again inside the current reboot you're watching

They should just release the first Terminator movie into theaters and call it a reboot/re-imagining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Love Batman's Ray-Bans

• Locked thread