Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rurea posted:

Arrested Development did it better and had an entire episode devoted to a metajoke about being cancelled.

Narrator: Michael Bluth had just been stunned to discover that a contract his company was counting on was being cut back.

Michael: "You initially told us to design and build 22 homes. Now you're saying 18. That doesn't give us enough capital to complete the job. And we've already got the blueprints drawn up and everything!"

Narrator: Well, that part wasn't true, but they would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Punisher: War Zone was all right (and just all right), but all the stuff referring back to his family getting killed and how sad he was were the most cringeworthy and tonally dissonant parts of the movie. Not to mention, there was just a Punisher movie two years ago, yeah it wasn't technically connected, but why feel the need to go back to that setup?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

The correct tone for Fantastic Four is fun Interstellar.

I feel like the first Fantastic 4 trailer deliberately evoked the first Interstellar trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WzHXI5HizQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-BVs-KCSiA

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alhazred posted:

His power was to survive multiple STDs.

Just imagine if Trask used Kennedy's corpse as the basis for the Sentinel design.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I saw Sucker Punch once and really don't feel like needing to see it ever again, but I do remember Oscar Isaac was clearly having a blast in it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snyder's Dawn of the Dead was also written by James Gunn, I think his first script after his Troma stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HIJK posted:

Do we know anything about Spider Man: Homecoming besides RDJ being in it?

Hot aunt.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Johns hires Richard Donner to direct new Superman film, MoS fans scream "Not my Superman!", failing to see irony.

Well, they might have a point. I mean, the Donner Superman and Lois had a good laugh at casually killing Zod, Ursa, and Non. That might be too grimdark for today's comic movie expectations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Goldblum in a space-based road trip movie between Helmsworth and Ruffalo? So pumped for this.

e: apparently Goldblum is playing Grandmaster, an immortal, timeless elder god who pits powerful beings throughout the universe against each other for fun. Yes. Yes, please.

I thought that the first two Thors were incredibly boring and am kind of tired of the MCU at this point, but between the director and the cast, I am getting unexpectedly excited for Thor 3.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just got back from Civil War, the segment in Peter Parker's apartment was by far my favorite scene in the movie. So now I'm unexpectedly looking forward to Spider-Man.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember hearing somewhere that the suits were so hot, the actors' boots literally filled with sweat and so whenever they walked around, they were sloshing around in it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Isn't there an actual Man of Steel-related show for Syfy in production?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

From the actor and actress POV, the MCU does do the one thing she was talking about - they keep the actors the same between the TV and the movies. The big characters are never going to show up on TV, but they didn't recast Clark Gregg or Powers Boothe when their characters went to TV, and Sam Jackson even made a cameo.

At the same time, I don't think any of the TV characters have moved up to the movies, so....

But then there's also stuff like Jessica Jones having to drop Carol Danvers because the movies claimed her, Night Nurse having to be switched because the movies claimed her, and Alfre Woodard playing different characters in Luke Cage and Civil War.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Well, we're talking relative to Marvel shows. TV is taken seriously these days. Mad Men and Breaking Bad started the trend of prestige television and lots of Hollywood actors are jumping at the chance to star in them. Unfortunately, I don't think any show has had that same phenomenon status that those two did.

Game of Thrones is probably on their same level. I think another good indicator is if actors who became prominent because of a show start to show up in major movies.

I still don't get how they're going to do Old Man Logan, between not really having any major villains, having Professor X be with him, already having done a movie about a mutant genocide in a dystopian future, etc. I mean, granted most comic adaptations are extremely lose but for this one I don't really see how they could actually take anything from it other than "older Logan in the future".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Please tell me there is a story about the Suicide Squad being sent to kill Carmen Sandiego.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Yes this, that scene in Batman vs. Superman was the only interesting part of the movie.

The corresponding scene in Civil War, with them all sitting in a table watching clips from previous movies, was laughably weak in comparison.

I'm hoping someone will eventually do a supercut showing how the BvS scenes fit in with how the various actions are shown firsthand in MoS.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's a great moment in Batman Beyond where Bruce Wayne refers to himself in his own head as Batman. That's who he really is. Bruce Wayne died that night in the alley and gave way to Batman. In the comics when Bruce Wayne was framed for murder he basically said "gently caress it" and totally dropped the Bruce Wayne identity. His extended family had to convince him to re-establish it, in another great moment that had either Tim or Dick ask, "if Bruce Wayne doesn't exist then who adopted me?" Great stuff. poo poo like that is what makes Batman a great and compelling character.

In the end of The Sandman, during Dream's wake, I like that in the Batman/Superman cameo, Superman is just Clark Kent and Batman is an almost bat-like monstrous figure, since that's how they each see their real identity as.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

Last Crusade would be cooler if it wasn't shackled by Death in the Family

Does it incorporate Death in the Family? I thought the Dark Knight stuff was supposed to be off in its own continuity.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Just watched BvS Ultimate Cut:

Is this out already? I thought it was coming out July 16?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Any of a multitude of the questions or issues raised by the alien invasion in The Avengers are either ignored outright, raised only as minor plot points with little depth or relegated to television side projects.

I laughed in Jessica Jones when, a short time after their city was attacked by aliens led by a mind-controlling Norse God, no one in New York believed that mind control could be real.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

Civil War is, if anything, a reaction to Cap winning in Winter Soldier. It's saying "Yes, you were right about the Nazis in the government, but you still broke the law and need to be under control of the (probably Nazi free?) government".

I like how at the end of Winter Soldier, Black Widow's big finale scene is her telling the Senate "gently caress you for thinking you have the right to have oversight over the military" and then in Civil War she's on the pro-oversight side and the only reason given is an awkward line of dialogue where she just says that she changed her mind.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I wish they had cast Grace Jones as an Amazon in WW.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That Thor logo looks like the intro screen to a 1989 NES game.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As terrible as Batman & Robin is, I thought Clooney was a good Bruce Wayne.

Now I'm thinking of a movie where, Incredible Hulk style, Bruce Wayne and Batman are played by two different actors.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Turn Left Thread! Nooooooooooooo

The Hulk Gladiator gear looks cool. Suicide Squad was not particularly good. I wonder if the MoS sequel rumor is true. I hope the new solo Batfleck movie is good. Finally saw a Brie Larson movie and she is really fantastic, but I'm not sure how it translates into a superhero role.

Someone take one of those and run with it!

It's strange to think how excited I am for Thor 3. I'm really not familiar with the source comics at all but from the stuff people have said here it sounds like it could be drawing from some good storylines, it has a director I really like, and the cast is extremely solid. (Then again I was looking forward to Thor 2 due to the director and cast also, but both are much stronger this time around.)

Ten years ago I never would have thought that the comic book movies I would be most looking forward to would be Thor 3, Spider Man 6, Black Panther, Valerian, and Wonder Woman.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Article looking back on Fantastic 4, mostly interesting for a few details on what was in the original draft of the script:

http://screencrush.com/fantastic-four-2015-what-went-wrong/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Was anyone ever even accidentally killed by Adam West Batman? I don't think so but I've only really have memory of the movie at this point.

We'll all have a chance to get some new memories of Adam West Batman soon:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/17/batman-adam-west-burt-ward-julie-newmar-animated

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Recently two of my favorite RPG designers - who are very smart people who I respect - did a podcast where they argued that the DCEU movies were significantly worse than DC television.

I like the people who seriously argue that the TV Flash outfit is better than the movie Flash.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is that actually Peter Serafinowicz's voice in The Tick? He's absolutely nailing Patrick Warburton if so.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Stacks posted:

I've always thought of Batman as a 'law and order' right winger. He's a billionaire beating up poor people to restore order.

This reminds me of the 2012 election and people debating whether Dark Knight Rises was supposed to equating Mitt Romney with Batman or Bane.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched The Shadow with Alec Baldwin recently and it made me wonder if all of those 30s/40s-esque stylized superhero movies from the early 90s (Shadow, Dick Tracy, Phantom, Rocketeer, even Cool World) were all meant to capitalize on Burton's Batman. I have no idea what all those movies development schedules were like, but it seems like you have the Burton Batman (Burtman?) that was a film about a character who, even though it's a comic, was also one of a number of pulp adventurer/detective characters from the 1930s, and done in a film that had a deliberate throwback style and distinctive visual, and the response to its success was at least to a degree based on replicating that style and visual instead of finding other comics to adapt.

MacheteZombie posted:

Is Falcon an anti-hero? He murders those 3-4 henchmen pretty quickly at the beginning of Civil War.

No, he flirts and jokes with Black Widow right after killing them, so he's solidly on the heroic end.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Wasn't it a Steven King pullquote that got Dark Knight Returns a lot of its early mainstream crossover? I think my copy had blurbs from him and Mickey Spillane

I know Stephen King wrote the introduction to one of the Sandman volumes in the early 90s. Peter Straub, Clive Barker, Harlan Ellison, Gene Wolfe, and Samuel R. Delany also wrote some of the Sandman intros.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yaws posted:

This gritty Batman isn't going to amount to anything because the (completely justified) backlash against BvS was so strong he'll almost certainly not retain any of the murderous traits we saw in it. We're getting "normal" Batman again, because the market wills it.

It'll almost be like his character arc in BvS was him getting over those murderous traits!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

Looking for the quote I did find someone pointing out that in BvS "Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Comedian) was Thomas Wayne, Patrick Wilson (Nite Owl) was the voice of the US President and Carla Gugino (Silk Spectre) was the voice of Kryptonian ship."
Which is neat

I didn't realize until I finally watched the ultimate edition that Thomas and Martha Wayne in BvS were both played by actors from The Walking Dead (Negan and Maggie).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Martman posted:

Snyder, a known Ayn Rand lover, almost definitely intended it to be sad for Doomsday, a clearly superior being, to be brought down by a bunch of parasites.

Doomsday was created by Lex Luthor, who could only get where he was in the movie by government contract and who wasted money donating to the Metropolis Library. Bruce Wayne however is never shown to work with the state and merely issues a statement in support of books, costing nothing. Doomsday is defeated because Batman is the superior capitalist.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That list might be fake, but I'd be fine if Duncan Jones did Man of Steel 2.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rewatching The Dark Knight Rises, I feel again that it's my favorite of the Nolan trilogy, even though I do acknowledge that The Dark Knight is superior in many ways, there's just something about the weight of TDKR and the way that it fits in not only as a sequel to TDK, but also as a sequel to Batman Begins, not just with direct references but with themes and imagery and even subtle musical cues that all just really works for me. Overall I feel like the Nolan trilogy is one of the few trilogies of any sort where in addition to all the individual pieces working well on their own, it actually can benefit from watching them back to back and taking it in as a single three-act story.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

He also played a minor villain role in Sin City, that came out a few months before Batman Begins. Good year for movie adaptations of Frank Miller comics.

Although I guess Elektra also came out in early 2005.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'll probably give DKR another go soon. In the meantime, I just realized something for Batman Begins that's never spelled out: if Bruce Wayne had become a League of Shadows member, they probably would have just gotten him to give them the microwave emitter. Presumably, they still pull off the same plan they always had for Gotham, except with the additional steps of having to steal the thing and getting rid of their rogue member.

On the subject of Bruce becoming a League of Shadows member, I'm embarrassed to say it took me a while to realize that Bane in TDKR is what Bruce would have become had he killed the peasant in Batman Begins and embraced the League. I'm half convinced that the reason Nolan chose Bane in TDKR was entirely because he's masked just like Batman (only his mask is permanent, just as he is more extreme) and also "Bane" is essentially a phonetic contraction of "Bruce Wayne". I have to assume that Nolan saw that and figured that it was too good to pass up and that he'd just write something around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, ever since the soft reboot of the X-movies with First Class, Apocalypse is the only one that I didn't like, and even that at least had some good things within it. X-3 and Wolverine 1 remain the low points of the series by far.

• Locked thread