Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I honestly don't know. I was just envisioning ways to try in a manner that may have helped DC establish a more coherent shared universe and thinking about ways to make that work a little better. It probably wouldn't add much to MoS or WW but maybe SS and BvS.

EDIT: For BvS, I think it might have helped since so much of what that film drew from (TDKR comic) worked in large part due to their shared history, the idea of Bruce getting so much older and him going into exile. Doesn't help the Superman side of the argument but whatever.

So, yeah, I'd say it would have improved BvS and maybe SS.

i mean my take there is that any improvements on newer stories come at the expense of the character arc of nolan's batman and that's a bummer

like how iron man 3 should've absolutely been the last movie with iron man in it but instead tony's just stuck spinning his wheels making the same mistakes he'd already gotten past over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Does he ever grow up? The note it ends on is so corny that it has to be a joke. Amazing Spiderman 2 has a much better take on mourning, the ending of DKR makes Bruce look like a shithead.

'grows up' might've been a little too charitable to tkdr bruce, yeah

i think i've just gotten tired of comic book movies taking on so much of the worst aspects of their source material that got me to stop reading them in the first place in the time since nolan's trilogy that i now have a further appreciation that nolan's batman actually gets to have a drat ending

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bad day posted:

But the plot of Suicide Squad IS incoherent. Waller puts together a team of bad guys to stop Superman level threats. Except all of them are jailed individually and never meet. They’re just in some sort of file. The only one with any real superpowers goes nuclear and Waller is trapped so she puts together the team to come rescue her from the other team member. That’s not even a story. She put together a super team to stop the problem caused by putting together a super team. It’s like some recursive algebra problem.

a government official sending a bunch of minority prisoners(and captain boomerang) to solve a problem that she herself caused in the first place is absolutely a story that makes sense, though

the execution of the story wasn't so hot but you're pointing out that the events of the movie are caused by waller's hubris and hypocrisy like it undermines the movie's narrative when really all it does is undermine her narrative

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I never understand when I hear things like that getting laughs. The emotion in his face is acted so well and it's a beautiful image. Who cares that's not how tornados work?

Like in a Pokemon movie recently that was the 20th anniversary I took my kid to it and at one point Pikachu has a spoken line (Ash basically understanding his animal speak it hallucinating it in his death throes) and me and my wife loving cried, but on the internet everyone is laughing at it and posting videos of people in theaters cracking up. HEARTLESS MONSTERS

an animal suddenly talking at a dramatic moment is a pretty funny idea though

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dont even fink about it posted:

Along with the hollow and false melodrama of "his monument," it perfectly encapsulates how heavy Snyderman thinks it is compared to what it is actually achieving.

what does it think it is and what is it actually achieving?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Comic book audiences just aren't equipped to deal with sincere moments anymore.

i wouldn't say this is limited to comic book audiences, these days american pop culture in general feels so terrified of earnestness

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Superman 1 did it much better. If they wanted to do a "Should Clark out himself to save his dad" scene, they could have used the heart attack or even a car accident and make it so an ambulance couldn't arrive in time or some poo poo. Plus the execution was ridiculous.

but it's not just 'should clark out himself to save his dad', it's also specifically a scene where johnathon's actions speak more clearly to clark than his previous uncertainties about other people's safety and lives being more or less important than clark's own

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

was devito actually considered/rumored or was that just a good idea the internet latched onto?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It wasn't advertised in this way but Suicide Squad had a cast that wasn't a bunch of white guys.

yeah i'd bet money the suicide squad audience was more racially diverse than a lot of marvel stuff has had

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

batman would be a waste of hamm's comedic talents imo

I'd make him an overconfident hot doofus like hal jordan

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The cartoon version is not developed at all. The original teen Titans show has serial storytelling to an extent but no real character development. The current show is one off ten minute extended gags with about as much development as any given newspaper comic strip.

Like when you say you want Cyborg to be more like the cartoon what do you even mean?

he had some stuff in the original cartoon, the standard saved by robot science 'i never asked for this' kind of stuff

there was also a cool episode where some 'good guy' heroic alien kept being low-key racist towards starfire because she was a tamaranian and cyborg's the only other titan who notices and kinda pulls her aside to have a heart to heart with her about it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Burkion posted:

Civil War is about the only movie it doesn't happen in to my memory

tony and rhody's scene at the end getting cut off by the worst stan lee cameo yet

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

So basically, "Not my Spider-Man"? As that's been pointed among the MoS and BvS discussions, that is no longer a valid argument.

it can still be a bummer on a subjective level

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wouldn't the Avengers roster have to be diverse first?

that's not fair, there's black sidekick and black sidekick 2 and uh...maybe scarlet witch if she's roma or jewish in the mcu?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s interesting that spider-fans seem to genuinely hate the Uncle Ben character.

uncle ben being replaced by uncle tony is the biggest reason i'm still skipping homecoming

like, 'replacing blue-collar good values uncle ben with trust-fund arms dealer uncle pennybags' sounds like something you'd make up to make fun of ditko or some other libertarian jack-off in the comics industry but no, marvel studios poured millions going all in on that

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Watch it,it's good.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You should watch it, in true Marvel Movies fashion they try to play both sides.

i'm getting real conflicting messages here but both are telling me to see it???

i'll keep an eye out for whenever it starts cropping up on hbo

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i will never have enough of depressed peter parker

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'd say 'hey maybe now we'll get x-men and doom in marvel vs capcom again' but that latest one ended up being a real turd

so i got no upsides to disney getting one step closer to owning all of us

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

DC kinda shot themselves in the foot with those DKR and Year One adaptations and now they're having trouble selling the graphics novels because people just watch the movies instead. Who knew being too accurate to the source material could have such adverse effects?

(Weller as Batman is fantastic casting.)

did they really though? either way dc's getting money out of you

like, they're probably having trouble selling the graphic novels because they're graphic novels

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

from a business sense it's hard for me to picture the actual funnybooks as anything beyond a testbed for what new characters/arcs/etc could show up 5 years from now in movies, games, and tv shows

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

disney is full of cowards who will never let us see deadpool's hosed up dick

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Diabetic posted:

I think this is a good thing for the X-Men, and you know everyone is going to be hyped as poo poo for X-Men vs Avengers.

nah, avengers movies are crowded enough as it is

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

I think its time for Americans to accept the Doctor Who idea of continuity, where it only matters when writers want it to. Otherwise who cares.

that's how all continuity works

canon is a fake idea pushed by charlatans

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

krypton is gonna be dumb as hell and also extremely my poo poo

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the revolution will not be televised because our benevolent god-king in a fursuit will quash it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty sure that the angle they were trying to convey is that it's a revolution in superhero movies.

so it's revolutionary in the same way that wonder woman was

by which i mean 'not at all' unless you throw up so many qualifiers that the statement is mostly just patting superhero studios on the head for very slowly catching up to diversity trends that other action movies have been way ahead on the past few years

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

J is definitely the plucky sidekick to K in MiB

'sidekick' has a connotation of not being the main protagonist, it'd be like calling luke or anakin sidekicks to obi-wan

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

The revolution in Black Panther is against T'Challa for wanting to drag Wakanda into the modern era and open it's doors to other people's and countries. Gold Jaguar is a traditionalist who wants to overthrow the new leader and keep things exactly how they are.

At no point does anyone go to America.

'drag into the modern era' is a weird phrase to pull for a nation explicitly more advanced than the rest of the world

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the 'more female prison guards' tweet, but it's about black tony starks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

coco and black panther are both disney-backed kid's movies with a largely PoC cast but strangely only one is getting propped up as this big revolution

again, it's just wonder woman redux: there are plenty of female-led movies out there and an increasing number of female-led action movies but PR and nerd solipsism dictates that no this is the movie that is bursting open doors and changing everything

and then it actually comes out and it's a tepid yawn of a film

• Locked thread