Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

who would that be, the one who gets redressed in front of a crowd of men or the one who another character asks if they have a boyfriend?

Women can have sexual identities and be empowered/proactive. In fact, the idea that it's one or the other is a criticism of plenty of pop-culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

But not every case of a woman taking their clothes off is empowerment. The vast majority of them in fact are not.

I didn't say the scene was an example of empowerment. Nor does it have to be for the character to be proactive for much of the film.

Especially since the character of Harley Quinn is consistently depicted as being emotionally dependent on a man, and this is a bad thing and the reason why she's a villain.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Again, I'm sure there was people for whom this was the case, but there were plenty who made the RDJ / Demon in a Bottle connection immediately upon the casting announcement. There's always people who hate a casting choice.

Yeah. I should say that it was far from a universal condemnation, like Leto, Affleck and Ledger provoked on announcement. But still a weird example that it's hard to predict, in advance, who'll do well in what movie.

I still want my Kristen Schaal and Kurt Brahnoeler Harley Quinn and Joker movie, though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
So when Rick Flagg moves onto the next mission at the end, we'll get this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmerFuzRNZ4

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I never defended Guardians. I'm just saying it's trying very hard to be DC's Guardians.
In the sense that it involves several people doing a thing in a place, yes.

quote:

Imitating something that's flawed is kind of adding another level of distastefulness.
That would make one level, then.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

It follows a group of antiheroes/scoundrels with a heavy emphasis (from the marketing at least) on older rock music. It feels rather transparent to me. You're free to disagree if you want.

What was the last tentpole movie marketed around new music? It's always either orchestral or retro. New pop music is reserved for comedies aimed at those young people I keep hearing about. New rock music doesn't seem to actually exist.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I stand corrected. It's especially loving weird seeing as it's a 14 year old franchise full of old people.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

Uh, Transformers? The original trilogy each got a brand new Linkin Park song. The Twilight movies had soundtracks far better than they deserved. 50 Shades is technically a tentpole, right?

Yes. I don't know. No.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

Linkin Park is literally the most popular/best selling modern rock band since the turn of the millennium. Quality aside, it's a pretty big deal.

Despite not actually writing a new song since Hybrid Theory. They did buy new costumes and hire new directors for their videos though.

Now I feel old because I remembered that that album came out about the same time as Limp Bizkit's third album, and I thought it was a coin toss about which band would age better. I was a really loving stupid kid.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I remember actually liking songs from both of them at one point.

We've all got a lot to answer for, man. This is a safe place.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

edit: Also you're allowed to like Hybrid Theory when you're 13, because it's exactly the emotional level of a 13-year-old.

This is true. There is, however, no excuse for having liked Limp Bizkit. I did, and for this I still must atone.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sort of crazy that was created by the same film that invented the ensemble picture.

And colours.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Elfgames posted:

1 captain america doesn't need help against government/sheild nobodies

This is not how action films work.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kevin Feige is also the source of the "70s Political Thriller" quote.

Do not believe his lies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

McSpanky posted:

I thought I had, but when I saw Rocky Balboa opening weekend I drat near leapt out of my seat and shouted "COME ON ROCK!" during the final round. For a moment I actually forgot I was watching a movie, which was even more amazing considering that scene came just after a montage. That feeling was transcendent.

Good sports movies can do that. I had this reaction to 'Goon' over the weekend. Which is an excellent sports movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tyree posted:

This clip shows off daper Vision. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWxGzxMAGX0

It is pretty crazy that there has still been 0 shots of Daniel Brühl, that I'm aware of, and Martin Freeman's character is only really visible in any of the media by freeze frame.

Good to see we're still at the "talk about the film's themes in detail" stage of screen writing.

Go all out. 2.5 hour slide show debate or bust, Marvel.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Hahaha what the hell is this?

"Characters talking? gently caress OFF MARVEL!"

There's 'talking' then there's 'spelling out the core conflict, that should be implicit in the structure and events of the movie.' My complaint was fairly specific.

Film is a visual medium.

I really hope this is representative and not the 5 minutes of distinct film the rest of it is wrapped around.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Gina Carano is good for fight choreography because she knows how to throw a good looking punch, Rousey not so much.

Which is weird, because Rousey is the way better fighter in real life.

Josh Lyman posted:

Rhonda Rousey is terrible and I hope we never see her in mainstream movies again.

I love that the mispelling of her name is consistently wrong across multiple forums and websites.

I said come in! posted:

Dare Devil is a show that gets this correct.

Yes and no. On the one hand, the hits really do feel like hits. On the other, the choregraphy often doesn't line up with the fight scene's story. That amazing, one take fight scene is cool, but if the idea is he's getting increasingly exhausted, why the gently caress is he pulling spin kicks out late in the fight scene? He starts the scene a brawler and ends up a kung fu fighter.

Goffer posted:

More people will like it therefore it will be bad because it will be mainstream and popular

Alternately, it will try for nothing ambitious, fail none of its objectives, clear the low bar it sets for itself, and thus be applauded for having few failings.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Sure, but Rousey is a grappler and that doesn't make for visually interesting fights.

The finale of "Flash Point" would like a word with you.

Seriously, just watch the finale of Flash Point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv6UKYEh76M

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I'm joking dude. Calm thy tits.

You were joking, but I love telling this story. We had a seminar with a dude called Paul Cale, Australian Commando and cage fighter. He's a living Jason Statham movie. He told a story about a guy biting him when he was applying a rear naked joke. His instinct was to pull tighter. He dislocated the guy's jaw. Turns out the structures that hold the jaw together are a lot weaker than those of the arm.

Same principle applies to legs, according to him. I didn't ask if he'd tested it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheeee posted:

I just watched Age of Ultron again since my friend hadn't seen it yet, it's on Netflix, and I hate myself. Holy hell it was worse than I remembered, almost every scene looks fake as poo poo, the CGI and backgrounds are going to age horribly, and the cinematography looks like rear end throughout half the movie.

Beyond the bad writing which gets harped on a lot it's the "action" scenes which are the most insultingly awful; the fight direction and camera work don't give any appearance of actual action with a flow of cause and effect, it's just endless meaningless character poses. Age of Ultron is the movie equivalent of a manchild posing his action figures against each other while making fight noises.

Somehow, 6 superheroes fighting an army managed to be dull. That's quite a feat.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

My issue with Ultron's puppet dance is that Terry Crews did it and did it better in a far more entertaining movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IMb8GFXHeI

Terry Crews is a treasure and Gamer is fantastic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He was too busy voicing Dracula, because someone thought that was a good idea.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's also a really, really poorly edited trailer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timby posted:

Ben Kingsley will appear in a movie for twenty bucks and a McDonald's cheeseburger.

That's Sir Ben Kingsley.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Apparently the airport scene is exciting and inventive, so I dunno what you're going on about. I'm not watching it until I see the movie at the theater, but considering the positive buzz it's getting I think that you would be in a minority saying it's a poor action scene.

People thought Winter Soldier's action scenes were fantastic, genre topping scenes and that Age of Ultron was awesome. When are we going to learn that Buzz is all lies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
And then he managed to throw casual racism in there as well.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Are you referring to the comments about Inarritu? That was condescending as gently caress. You can tell RDJ is still kind of bitter jelly his indie career never got there and now he's just a (extremely well paid) quip robot

Like who the gently caress are you? gently caress off Sherlock
Some people should never get sober.

Someone tried to tell me it was a 'sick burn' when it happened. I'm not sure how.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

This is the sort of opinion that goes unchallenged in the comic book movie thread.

You're right. Can't believe somebody only thought that movie was alright. It was loving awesome.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/aquaman/rumor-aquaman-director-james-wan-may-be-next-in-line-to-depart-the-dc-a141135

so how can people spin this as a case of "everything is fine, nothing to worry about"?

The most telling line is this "This is strictly a rumour for the time being anyway, but be sure to share your thoughts on this news in the comments section below."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

computer parts posted:

10 Biggest Mistakes 'Suicide Squad' Has Already Made

"Rumour: WB about to get rid of Snyder"

"Wait, no, they add two more movies to the slate"

"Rumour: seriously, we're right this time"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Any of those movies that "suddenly" got greenlighted were likely in the process of being greenlit before BVS even premiered, and likely didn't reflect any current decisions whatsoever, though.

I mean, you just don't DECIDE to greenlight a film and then announce it. This stuff takes a while.

I didn't say it was a response. But when the rumour said "They're about to get rid of him and they're all panicking and the entire shared universe is falling apart." And then the actual news was "Snyder begins shooting next film" alongside "Two more films are to be shot" it's okay to be skeptical about their ability to sift rumours. It's why your suggestion that it needs to be spun is kind of strange. The only real response is "They've yet to get anything right."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Those other things could easily be things they're obligated to do/are stuck with, is all I'm saying. The behind the scenes turmoil isn't necessarily discounted.

In both cases, there was news concerning the same topic as the rumour (the DCU in general, and Suicide Squad reshoots) and the rumour was wildly off base.

The kindest thing you can say about the rumour mill at this point is that it seems to be on point in knowing what they should be posting about, even if what they're posting is completely wrong.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

one financial cinematic embarrassment

850 million dollars worth of embarrassment. They sure have egg on their face. It's only by some pretty weird standards that that's an embarrassment. To put that amount in perspective, Thor and Captain America 1, the two movies that lead into the Avengers, didn't make that much between them.

quote:

driven off two creators for the same reason.
Was it the same reason in both previous cases? I remember McClaren had the whole 'artistic differences' thing.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 30, 2016

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

computer parts posted:

The indications are that was because of (lack of) merchandising rights.

And also spiraling production costs, and also that trying to build a cinematic universe around Spiderman was a dumb idea anyway.

TFRazorsaw posted:

For what it's supposed to be, yes, it is. ASM's franchise potential was shitcanned for the exact same thing.

If it's supposed to be something that leads into a team up movie, it's done better business that the two lead ups to the Avengers put together, and has a lower combined budget, and didn't have to be marketed twice.

ASM was a different film setting up a different cinematic universe with a very different rights situation by a different studio for a different character. It's a clumsy fit at best.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

This was a movie starring the two most popular superheroes of all time, coming after the big superhero movie boom that was already created for it, and not during the LEAD UP to said boom like the Phase 1 movies. It should have done better than it did. Far better. I don't know how this is even up for argument.

There's a difference between "It could have done better" and "it's an embarassment and they're going to rethink their multi year, multi film plan"

You initially asserted the second, not the first, and that's what people are arguing with.

There's also an assumption that DC is purely banking on those huge numbers and that's their only objective. The fact that they're giving a divisive director with a very distinctive style who hasn't had an unqualified hit since 2006 free reign with 250 million dollars suggests that they're thinking about a few things differently to Marvel.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't see how that's NOT an embarassment when it's bloody Batman and Superman, two characters who should print money just on name alone, but. I dunno what else to say.

850 million dollars. That is printing money. That other films have managed to make more doesn't make it not a lot of money. To put that amount in a different perspective, each character generates half that in merchandise sales every year, regardless of whether there's a film out.
The film generated double that in a month. It's a ridiculous amount of money. It's like saying a man who is 6'5 should be embarassed about his height because Shaq exists or something.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheeee posted:

You do realize that most people don't actually give a poo poo about Superman and aren't comic book reading nerds, right?

Marvel's films are raking in cash like big dumb effects-driven summer blockbusters because they are big dumb effects-driven summer blockbusters that have also tapped into the addictive consumer demand for serialized content, not because the broader moviegoing audience gives a poo poo about the personal stories of Bow Guy, Ninja Lady, and Green Dude.

As evidenced by the fact that the two biggest grossing movies in the series are the one that's the worst shot and the one that's the most incoherent.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Prior to sixteen years ago, the guy was a household name. His fading from the public consciousness is entirely due to DC's mismanagement of the brand. Batman doesn't have that excuse, and this movie compares SIGNIFICANTLY unfavorably, financially, to both movies starring him that preceded this. That's not insignificant. It has less and less to do with comic books, either. Batman has been a merchandising juggernaut since the 90's. He has the mindshare, and that didn't pull as much people into the brand as it should.

I really hate quoting myself but

Snowman_McK posted:

It's like saying a man who is 6'5 should be embarassed about his height because Shaq exists or something.

The Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises were ridiculous, unqualified successes. Doing 15 percent worse than something as insanely successful as The Dark Knight is not an embarassment in this or any other universe.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ungulateman posted:

more important than all this dickwaving about bvs' profitability: it is a cool, and good, film

Honestly, the scenes with the Batmobile and Batman vs PMCs round 2 were worth the price of admission on their own, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Lex's little mini-freakout of "I DON'T KNOW!" when Superman glows his eyes at him is my favorite tiny moment in the movie. It's exceedingly well done acting.

Also, when he stumbles over his words at the library. Eisenberg is a loving treasure. It's crazy to think that, just a few years ago, he was off brand Michael Cera. Now, that's Michael Cera.

TFRazorsaw posted:

People accuse me of resorting to a strawman, when you're comparing other people to the tools used by a fascistic, oppressive douche-bag? Really?

Well, if they were, they're not using a strawman, since Putin, Russia, and propaganda all exist.

• Locked thread