Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
That poster is boring as gently caress but there's a teaser trailer coming today so that's exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

teagone posted:

Lord and Miller maybe realized the guy who they cast as Han is terrible from the all the dailies and there's nothing salvageable from his performance.

Uh, he's amazing so I really doubt that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

teagone posted:

I wasn't being serious, and there's no way that was the reason why Lord and Miller walked. That said, I've only seen Alden in Beautiful Creatures, and I thought he was pretty bad in that so :shrug:

Watch Hail, Caesar!, where he somehow steals the show from almost everyone else in it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jonah Hill is going to kill himself from transitioning to overweight->skinny->overweight between every single movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

That looks like lovely garbage.
poo poo garbage, one might say.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They all look fine. I don't really get the big deal over them. The middle one which I assume is Avengers is the least "realistic" of them but that doesn't really bother me at all

It looks like a lovely Halloween costume

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I agree quick reactions are appropriate. I'm saying at the point where you're doing multiple paragraphs, lists of bullet points, extensive spoiler discussion, responding to other people, it should go in the specific thread.

My quick reaction: it's pretty good. Not as good as the Raimi movies, better than the Amazings on most counts, though ASM2 in particular was prettier. Serviceable Spider-Manning if you're interested in that sort of thing. Most standout thing for me was a pile of good actors in minor roles.

Yeah, please discuss Spider-Man in the thread for it, general "hey go see it" reactions here are fine but if you get to the point of needing to use spoilers you're better off posting in the other thread.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Stop talking about Doctor Who in this thread

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Blumhouse is moving forward with Todd McFarlane's Spawn movie

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

When I read the description "Thanos reaches towards the sky, pulls out a moon and throws it at them," I did not imagine they'd make the shot as basic as possible and have him throw a baseball.

There were some good looking shots in there (the shot of Spider-Man with his new suit) from what I could see, but holy poo poo is that a missed opportunity.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

wyoming posted:

It's bizarre, but it's not good.

Nah it's definitely good

DC Murderverse posted:

if you live in New York you'd better be seeing all your superhero movies at the Lincoln Square IMAX. That's the best movie theater for seeing superheroes.

NY =/= NYC. I ain't paying $20 in train tickets to go pay $20+ for a ticket unless I'm seeing something in 70MM IMAX.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Advanced screenings are literally always "HOLY poo poo IT WAS SO GOOD EVERYONE WAS SO GOOD IN IT."

Always.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He looks like buff David Lynch.

David Lynch mixed with Gordon Ramsay

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Bowie was a tremendous actor, I always took his casting as a stunt because he frankly sucks rear end in most stuff he's famous for acting-wise. But I'm glad to have been proven wrong.

Yeah he's loving so bad in Labyrinth but just lmao if you think anyone else could have done as amazing as him in The Man Who Fell to Earth.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

It could have been construed as a joke at a suicide victim's expense.

Could have been? That's what it was. "Haha his daughter killed herself" is not a funny joke.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's an odd lack of self-awareness in this post. This thread is largely about complaints regarding pop culture. It's also generally a bad idea to call people pathetic for liking different things than you (no, I didn't watch the new Powerpuff Girls)

Nah, if you think a cartoon now somehow "ruins your childhood" or whatever for doing something different than the one you watched did, you're a pathetic manchild.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Okay.

But WB and the cast leaned into this and played it up. Everyone with common sense knew it was bullshit, but it was still a tacky and crass way to promote the film.

That's absolutely not true, a lot of people 100% believe and believed he was sending them rats with their heads cut off and poo poo.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah I read an article saying that Jason Blum and him are making the movie so cheap because they aren't getting paid for it at all.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Harry Potter is not a comic book movie

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

It still amazes me that most comic book movies haven't come close to this design.

Hela's looking pretty Kirby in Ragnarok

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Super Fan posted:

Who the gently caress cares about Lord and Miller?

A lot of people?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Some press got to see Justice League tonight, but they weren't allowed to post anything about it besides that they were seeing it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The MSJ posted:

More JL clips.

WW stopping terrorists at a bank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpxlqTx7DTg

The League fighting Steppenwolf underneath Gotham.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBzRV9Tk1VU

Everything in both of these looks like actual poo poo

Seriously that shot of Batman standing on top of the Batmobile is HORRIBLE

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 6, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Spacebump posted:

The first Avengers isn't bad.

It absolutely is

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Burkion posted:

Shane was filmed to be in color at a time where that was still not always a sure thing and could be a novel concept.

Not quite a gimmick, but definitely not the norm.

Logan is a modern movie supposedly filmed to be black and white when I think I can safely say the vast majority of Logan's intended audience has never seen a black and white movie.

I think it's a valid question about how Logan looks or if it's just a stupid gimmick to make you buy an over priced bluray.

Hey I got that bluray for $7 on Amazon. I haven't and probably won't watch the B&W version, but

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

TDK was IMDB's #1 movie of all time forever and it's still number 4, who gives a gently caress what people think of it? TDK isn't even in the top 200 best movies ever made

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

LMFAO. What the hell.

I wish I could make that the forum background

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Serf posted:

does henry cavill have some sort of weird disease which makes it impossible for him to grow more than one mustache in his life

He had to film Mission Impossible in the same week

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Supposedly the original script for The Mummy was pretty good but when Cruise got involved his contract allowed him to make changes so the script was changed to focus on his character a lot more.

I'm willing to believe this is 100% a studio exec "leaking" "information" to take the blame off of themselves for making such a lovely loving movie because everyone else who talks about movies where Tom Cruise had creative control make him out to be incredibly understanding, friendly, and doing his best to make the movie the best it can be.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

John Brown posted:

Why can’t you guys just be excited about a film we’ve waited a decade for?

It’s very clear that Cap (and obviously) Spidey & Vision are toast. I’m also suspecting that Black Panther will literally die defending Wakanda.

It also appears that Iron Man and gang are leading Thanos on a chase to lure him away from earth.

Any speculation that Cap’s shield will look considerably different considering it will be made in Wakanda?

Lmao if you think Sony is going to let Marvel kill Spider-Man in a non-Sony movie after Homecoming just saved the franchise.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

No one knows what Battle Angle Alita is, are you kidding me?

Walk up to 200 people and ask them if they know and you'd be lucky to get one.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jutsuka posted:

No one needs to take anything FoldableHuman has to say seriously ever again:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/940493552278126592

Man, this guy is a real dumbass, huh?

Phylodox posted:

Come on. With the benefit of repeated viewings and freeze frame, yeah, but even the people saying they did survive were iffy about the details. One moment of them crouching amidst some rubble where they’re clearly not the focus of attention? How is it strange that people who’ve only seen the movie once might miss that?

??????
He obviously saved them, that's the entire point of the scene. The movie does not need to have the family RUN UP TO SUPERMAN AND HUG HIM while he's screaming in order to know they are saved. This is why you get dumbass poo poo like the Russian family in Justice League or the WE HAVE TO SAVE ALL THE PEOPLE in Age of Ultron.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I mean...Superman kills Zod, and, like that one guy said, he raises his gaze to where that family should be and screams. I didn't read it as the family being dead, but it's not unthinkable that someone might. Like that guy.

He's screaming because he killed Zod. It's unthinkable to think someone might think that because it's hard to believe someone can be so bad at watching a movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There can exist a midpoint between "literally nothing but an obscured distance shot in a 3/4ths of a second scene" and "they hug Superman and thank him."

Ok, and? It's hand-holding baby poo poo. The movie does not need to show something that is so obvious a child can figure it out.

Taintrunner posted:

Dan's not confused at all. He said it "looked like." He knows, he's simply stating what it looks like in the shot. It's a perfectly valid opinion and it's a shame to watch people be so disingenuous for the sake of a dogpile.

This is exactly as disingenuous as what you think we are being disingenuous about. He doesn't know poo poo, he's trying to get internet cred by dunking on the "mistakes" Zach Snyder made.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Cool. Movies are a cinematic language and the ability to properly communicate things to the view is part of that. Mysteriously this thread loves to veer back and forth between something being necessary and something being 'hand-holding baby poo poo' entirely based off if they can be snide shits about it. The idea that Man of Steel is a super-mature and amazingly adult film that doesn't need to 'hold hands' is lol as poo poo when you consider the vast majority of the film doing exactly that.

No, you are disingenuous about this. There is on room for any criticism of Zach Snyder at all in this thread because you're genuinely afraid that acknowledging literally any mistake will be giving in to the terrorism of My Superman. Instead you unironically start complaining about 'hand-holding baby poo poo' in the mass market superhero movie that includes this incredibly subtle shot:

"Not showing the entire point of a scene" is not a failure of "cinematic language." The movie decides to not focus on the family that he VERY OBVIOUSLY saves because that isn't the focus of what happens when he saves them. It focuses on him screaming about what he did. If he didn't save them and it did not show that, THAT would be a failure of cinematic language.

I don't really care if you're mad at the thread for not agreeing with you, but I personally try to stay as consistent as possible with what I say, like I did before. The Russian Family subplot in Justice League and the SAVE EVERYONE sequence in Sakovia in Age of Ultron are hand-holding baby poo poo that actively make the movie worse because people look at stuff like this and go BUT I NEED TO SEE EVERYTHING OR ELSE HOW CAN I KNOW!?!?! Movies are a cinematic language, and just like any language people can be bad at reading it and understanding what they are seeing or not seeing and why that might be.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Cool. Movies are a cinematic language and the ability to properly communicate things to the view is part of that. Mysteriously this thread loves to veer back and forth between something being necessary and something being 'hand-holding baby poo poo' entirely based off if they can be snide shits about it. The idea that Man of Steel is a super-mature and amazingly adult film that doesn't need to 'hold hands' is lol as poo poo when you consider the vast majority of the film doing exactly that.

No, you are disingenuous about this. There is on room for any criticism of Zach Snyder at all in this thread because you're genuinely afraid that acknowledging literally any mistake will be giving in to the terrorism of My Superman. Instead you unironically start complaining about 'hand-holding baby poo poo' in the mass market superhero movie that includes this incredibly subtle shot:

Also you edited this second part into the post after I hit quote

I'm not being disingenuous at all. I think that if you watch the ending of Man of Steel and you go "WHY HE SCREAM? HE NOT LOOK AT FAMILY WHEN HE SCREAM" like Dan did you are actively an idiot, and that is not the movies fault. It's not a mistake. YOU are being disingenuous calling it a mistake. The scene conveys EXACTLY what it needs to convey without adding in superfluous nonsense. It is not the movie's fault.

And ok? It's one of the only "mass market" superhero movies I have watched again after the first time because it actually has substance to it. I'm not even going to disagree with you that that is hand-holdy, because it is. However, I'd much rather the film hand-hold people who don't understand symbolism and make it look nice than adding in superfluous exposition that ignores EVERYTHING ELSE about the storytelling of the scene.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 12, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Martman posted:

Umm I think it was pretty obvious that the family did die, and then Superman used his Super Yelling power to bring them back to life.

Pretty basic stuff, guys.

Yeah, but there's no shot of their crispy zombified corpses crawling towards Superman in gratitude, loving Snyder has no idea how to communicate this poo poo smdh

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Top Gun posted:

I've been away from the thread for a few days and come back to six pages crying about Man of Steel. My dudes that movie came out in 2013 and the general public remembers it about as well as the Hulk films let it go. It's probably not even going to be canon after the Flashpoint movie.

I mean Tomorrow Disney is going to buy the X-Men franchise and they are going to revive it into a powerhouse brand like they did with their own Internal animation division, Marvel, and Star Wars. X-Men is going to be RELEVANT again. No more beating around the bush and pushing Inhumans in everyones face. I dunno about you folks but I would would much rather talk about and admire the beauty of free market capitalism than talk about what Superman does to appeal hip and cool with the kids.

Disney buying Fox is incredibly awful, I don't really give a poo poo if it means Wolverine can be in Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Speaking of, this owns
https://twitter.com/ava/status/944258928715513856

• Locked thread