Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I saw BvS with someone who argued that there's no Christ imagery in the film and that I'm making it up and it's just left me really confused. I loved Jesse Eisenberg.

I loved this too.

I don't know about BvS, but MoS had this as a part of its marketing campaign:

Man of Steel Ministry Resource Site posted:

Welcome to the Pastor Resource Site for the upcoming film, "Man of Steel". Here you'll find everything you need to educate and uplift your congregation: Including Free Videos, Sermon Outlines and Images. There are two ways to get started – Make a Selection on the Nav Bar or just Scroll below.

When I find the time I will try to find whether BvS got something similar going on.

Man of Steel, a movie that helps you to educate and uplift your congregation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Electromax posted:

I think Boob Marley had the right idea. To really get the weight of authority behind your argument, you have to appeal to the swarm - Google Trends.

Three pillars of the art form.

If this trend continues, Batman and Superman will soon become infinitely popular.

Data suggests Justice League 2 director chair should go to Adam Sandler.

EXTREMELY troubling trend here. Time running out to revive Seinfeld for season 10 and kickstart the brand.

Averages Assemble!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I cannot believe McFarlane is trying to get another one made in the year 2016. Actually I can't believe Spawn is still being published. I'm rereading it and it's so terrible.

The only thing unbelievable about a new Spawn movie is that it hasn't already started filming, and not just because of Deadpool's success. The 90s are now, and there is nary a thing more 90s than Spawn.

I do however find it completely unbelievable that Spawn is still going, and I refuse to accept any evidence that it does because it's just too terrible to imagine.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

HIJK posted:

:iceburn: Jesus, Neil.

Fixed. Like, holy poo poo, don't gently caress with Neil Gaiman.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Not my Lego.

Like, seriously, used to be that you had to build your own poo poo with Lego blocks and nowadays it's basically ready-made Lego action figures. Get off my lawn, millenial Lego!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The CGI is a huge black mark, but other than that it's a really fun movie that gets way too bad of a rap. And, as mentioned, the soundtrack is :krad:.

(Seriously, the practical effects for Spawn himself are actually fantastic. They really should have just stuck to practical all through instead of doing that horrible CGI.)

Agreed on the practical effects, but other than that I thought the movie was an unwatchable mess. It's like one of the cheap Captain America movies but with a higher budget, if that makes sense. Martin Sheen and John Leguizamo are both having a ball but Michael Jay White is utterly wasted and I'm pretty sure the movie actively killed Nicol Williamson, or put him in a coma or something because it's his last movie. And since I love Excalibur, I can never forgive the Spawn movie for that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's already been said that the fight scene from the trailers takes place at the Berlin Airport and is in the first act.

I can only find stuff about shooting a fight scene at an airport in Leipzig, which is a shame. The Berlin airport I was thinking of has had a hilariously troubled construction phase and I think has not been opened to this day, that being the explanation for why there isn't anybody around would have been an amazing in-joke for Germans.

edit: It was this airport I was thinking of.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 31, 2016

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I want so badly for Scarecrow to be in more Batman movies. Just think of the nerd theories if it's Murphy again.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

How is this better than the Green Lantern mask?

I'd say it's not, but it's been made some 15 years before Green Lantern so you can't really compare them like that.

Also, what was Ebert smoking when he wrote that review? It's like his one positive point about the movie is that it has great special effects.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Kurzon posted:

Where were the superheroes during the Rape of Nanking, the Holodomor, the Mau Mau uprising, the partition of India, the Balkan wars of the 1990s, and the Second Congo War? The Spear of Destiny certainly got around.

Scenes like these happen all the loving the time in comic books. They make for great splash pages. Remember this splash page from Green Lantern?

We know the power rings can hit a target many light years away (the Sinestro Corps has a guy that specializes in this). So why do they always fight in melee?

Because being a Lantern can get pretty lonely and melee-ing is one of the few chances anyone has to get into contact with others. It's a social event!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Ghost Rider should just end Civil War with his Shame power. It's like the Penance Stare, but he wags his fingers at the combatants while a ghostly "shaaaaaame" permeates the air.

They could do a crossover with Game of Thrones and have Shame Nun as his sidekick.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I think I'd make fun of these people if they went to the theater 76 times, no matter the movies they saw. I don't feel like breaking out my calculator but I'm pretty sure that dude spent more money on seeing a Star Wars movie than I spend on my son's clothing all year.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Picard Day posted:

Somehow I had never seen Excalibur before and decided to go watch it after reading this post. This movie is incredibly my poo poo (everything involving the first featurette with Uther Pendragon was incredible). I haven't seen BvS yet but this sounds like a pretty strong recommendation.

I haven't seen BvS yet but I would have given Excalibur as one answer to "which movie have you seen more than 20 times" posted a while ago, so now I'm even more hype for BvS. Like, über-hype. Hüpe.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Man, the very deliberate visual style Ang Lee chose keeps getting cited as some kind of mistake. It's really weird.

I think most are saying that it was a mistake he chose that style, not that stuff like the exploding Talbot just kind of showed up when Ang Lee didn't pay attention. I don't agree to that, but Ang Lee's Hulk is an acquired taste.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

Flabby baby-face Stretch Armstrong Hulk with his neon purple pants, ridiculous Hulk poodle who explodes into green mist, and the awful attempts at comic-book-like transitions were all deliberate choices by the director. The were also mistakes in the same way that platypuses and gingko tree berries are mistakes by God. They were purposefully designed but are so hideous and absurd that they should have never existed.

As I said before the only things the movie have going for it are Nick Nolte playing a crazy old person (himself) and Jennifer Connelly, whose incredibly beauty is enough to slay any devil and redeem any sinner.

If you think the platypus of all animals is such a mistake, google 'naked mole-rat'. They are The Avengers to Ang Lee's platypus.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I like Jeffrey Dean Morgan or possibly James Purefoy a lot, but I'm still sad he has replaced Michael Fassbender. Otherwise these look surprisingly neat, considering it's promotional material for an X-Men movie. They even managed to make Psylocke not look like a stripper.

The symbol annoys me, though. Apocalypse should wear a big A on his belt, but if he is gonna have a symbol like that, it should use an Alpha.

edit: I'm dumb, the capital Alpha is an A.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 5, 2016

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

greatn posted:

The shield stuff is the worst part of Thor, and that takes place on earth. Him being a general idiot on earth is fine though.

The Shield stuff also contains Thor drop-kicking and then mud-wrestling a dude so it's actually the best part. It's a god reduced to the basest form of entertainment.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Kurzon posted:

What yardstick are you using?

They have a guy called "War Machine", pay attention!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Whizbang posted:

Actually he's called Iron Patriot.

I'm pretty sure by AoU he's back to War Machine again. He should have gone for something entirely different though, I like it when superheroes have like five different names in their CV.

I suggest Terror Device, that sounds wholesome.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

It's almost as if gangsters aren't exactly good at making the best life choices.

Thanks to the discussion a while back I rewatched the first half of Thor. I have changed my mind, the first thirty minutes on Asgard are better than the earth stuff. I really like douchebag jock Thor launching a War On Terror against the Frost Giants and almost getting his friends killed while he has so much fun beating things with his hammer. And the "You are a loose cannon Thor, give me your badge and gun!" scene with Odin is fantastic.

Also, the scene where we get topless Hemsworth isn't just female gaze, it's straight-up Kat Dennings' perspective. We get to marvel at his magnificent torso while looking over her shoulder.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The MSJ posted:

X-Men posters

Phew, those Four Horsemen posters from a while back had me worried that Fox was breaking with the tradition of awful promotional material for their X-Men stuff but I see they are back on form.

Rhyno posted:

That stupid poo poo when all the cops crawled out of the sewers with no ill effects and were able to fight Bane's army. gently caress TDKR.

I liked TDKR overall, but that whole big street brawl could have been, er, grittier. Once the focus is on Batman and Bane the surrounding battle lost me completely. I know they couldn't have done the opening of Gangs of New York but at least hint at some of the brutality. Matthew Modine's death is just the worst.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Terrible Horse posted:

It also features Batman at his least impressive and dumbest. After getting his rear end beat by Bane, then rebuilding himself from the ground up, crossing the world to reclaim his city, he says the worst retort i've ever heard ("No. I've come to stop you.") and tries to punch Bane again.

The whole thing just looked ridiculous. Like they tried to make a scene that needed 300 people work with 45 people or something.

I liked the Batman v Bane fight itself, actually. They had their cool fight in the sewers, with lots of cool lines and good choreography and stuff; I took their street fight to mean that they were both exposed for the costumed clowns they are and that Batman could just handle it better than Bane because he managed to move on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Batham posted:

God that street brawl... mercs armed with rifles, sitting in entrenched positions, abandon their position to beat on the (barely armed) cops with their fists rather than gunning them down. :cripes:

It's just so dumb and it sticks out like a sore thumb every time I watch that movie.

They somehow did that thing from Big Trouble in Little China where the two gangs shoot at each other and there are some token casualties on both sides and then all guns magically vanish and they charge and butcher each other with swords and meat cleavers and bo staffs.

Except that there are no swords and meat cleavers and bo staffs, and the guns are still there, and they all shoot them while they charge. And they do a really poor job butchering each other because they go at it all through Bane v Batman, and when Talia leaves them to detonate the nuke they are still at it with no visible casualties except for Matthew Modine.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Meanwhile, over at BSS:

lomzus posted:

Vision ha ha

Tony just can't handle Vision's swag.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The idea of a She-Hulk court room drama or comedy gets brought up pretty frequently, and it is a good idea. But what I want to see even more is an In Treatment-like show or movie about Doc Sampson having to deal with superhero therapy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

But what if Kong had a healing factor? And knew karate? And Godzilla wasn't allowed to use atomic breath or dropkick Kong?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I'm having a hard time understanding how people can watch this and react with "Eh, it is lighted like looks like Inception."

Not saying that it doesn't, but it also looks loving amazing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I got the feeling that the most Inception-y scene with the three city skylines folding is from the final act. That just looks like the magic equivalent of a doomsday device, and I think it's a nice change that it's about folding space instead of the usual Everything Turns Into Dust thing X-Men: Apocalypse seems to be doing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

They will say that this isn't Deadshot, it's obviously his cousin Deadshoot.

Because the government is good at covering its tracks.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

gregday posted:

We are looking at this movie through a keyhole.

Is the a Marvel Villain called Peeping Tom?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I just had to ask, didn't I?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

One thing I don't get about Civil War is that Iron Man and Captain America are on opposite sides of what I would expect. I would think Tony would be a vigilante and Cap would be all truth justice and the America way.

I think their main difference lies in what constitutes the American Way. In AoU this was made clear when Cap was all "Every time someone tried to win a war before it started things go bad" while Tony was "But ALIENS! We need to be ready for the ALIENS!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

PiedPiper posted:

Cap missed Elvis, Woodstock, Cold War, Vietnam, 9/11 and Lewinsky scandal.
He is as un-American as it gets.

I bet he hates baseball.

At the end of First Avenger, Cap realizes something is wrong when Shield fucks up and plays the wrong recording of a baseball game. Dude is mad for baseball.

And I'm sure all those other things are items in his notebook.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

PiedPiper posted:

Government and subordination are a necessary evil, though.

I'll have to see the movie first, and I'm actually fairly optimistic about it, but right now I have the feeling Cap doesn't really have a plan.

The impression I got was that Cap flies by the seat of his pants throughout this thing, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I don't buy that the conflict is that there is a problem, then Cap and Iron Man sat down and independently worked up solutions and then fight over which is the better one. This time Iron Man is the man with the plan and all Cap knows and really needs to know is that that plan is lovely.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

According to some of the reviews, Cap is disillusioned and distrustful of authority in this movie, and he hates the idea Stark keeps bringing up of ending or preventing the fight so everyone can go home. Cap has nothing in his life except the fight, and no home to go to.

That happens in AoU as well, and it's an interesting notion. When they have their conversation while chopping wood together, Tony says something like "To end the fight, isn't that the mission" and Cap just tears apart a log with his bare hands. That guy is not really all that happy with the idea of a world without conflict.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You want to know where it comes from, casting all these pro wrestlers in movies. Every other wrestling move looks totally unnatural but the way they choreograph these fights always seems like someone is about to get powerbombed. Spectre had a prime scene for Craig to get put through a table and they just squandered it.

BVS did NOT disappoint with Batman's beautiful uranage while also making repurposing the crappy sparring Krav Maga of the Bale movies to look like a werewolf attack.

I'm the same about choke slams. They are the most basic and most awesome wrestling moves, where there is no doubt about anything that's going down. A guy grabs another guy by the throat, bodily lifts him up and then slams him into the ground. It's totally ridiculous for a number of reasons, like how does the slamee's head even stay attached, and wouldn't just crashing the guy's larynx be much easier if you already got him by the throat and are strong enough to lift him? But all of that doesn't matter, it's purely about visually expressing power and ferocity.

And yet there are so few examples of choke slams done right in movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jenny Angel posted:

In my senior year of college, I had to get a new roommate setup because most of my old ones had graduated. The one remaining roommate suggested we get a triple with another of his friends, and I agreed, having met the guy a few times and having no immediate problems with him. They were mostly pleasant guys, but they could be unbearable when I was trying to sleep. One night at something like 3 AM, I heard a bunch of sounds of clattering and crashing in the common room, so I marched out there, groggy and pissed off. Turns out these clowns had just blazed it and were having some impromptu wrestling matches

I was expecting this to get hella erotic. Even though it's good that you kicked their stoned asses, I feel a bit let down. I hope Civil War wont be the same.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Plus, do you really want a kid if the only way you can have one is to NOT have sex with Scarlet Johansson?

Also, children are really bad if you can't get mad. Like, Bruce could bask in the glow of Ithat special I'm A Dad feeling for the first few months but once the kid learned to talk back, hoo boy. Either it'll be Hulk City for the next 20 years or he will raise a total poo poo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of race lifting, Tessa Thompson could be playing Valkyrie in Thor 3.

My Valkyrie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Welp, at least it's a way for older actresses to get more roles.

• Locked thread