Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sponges
Sep 15, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

I can't wait until someone makes a superhero movie that actually is grim, dark, and gritty.

Does Watchmen count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I'm six years late on this but I finally watched Watchmen and I loved it. Probably my favorite comic book movie. Thematically dense, interesting characters, great setting and tone. Extremely my poo poo. What's the general consensus on it?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

If you want more than a cliffs notes version of that story just read the graphic novel. The movie hits the beats and moves on way too quickly. Adrian Veidt and Laurie Jupiter were badly cast. The movie has some pretty shots and touches on interesting stuff but is a thematic puddle compared to the lake that is the comic. Plus the book's criticism of superheroes doesn't really translate well to film; the original comic was a direct response to comics of the time and the movie doesn't serve the same function for comic movies of its time.

I read today that Chris Nolan told Snyder he made that movie too soon, and that is extremely on point. There's enough context now for moviegoing audiences to get what it's doing that didn't exist back in 09 or whenever it was. It would have been even more interesting coming from Snyder after having 2-3 DC movies under his belt.

Maybe me not caring about the comic helps. I thought Veidt and Jupiter were great.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I did this super quick and I'm sure it has a hosed up histogram or it's over contrasted whatever...but as a quick thing does this make the shot look better? Or at least a little more visually interesting than a boring grey sky over a boring grey location?

That sky looks like it came straight from the Flash Gordon movie

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Tezzor posted:

The vast majority of people who watch these movies you listed think of them as dumb entertainment which they like because they like lasers and explosions and nostalgia, not because they appreciate the alleged hidden complexity in them that can only be sussed out by 30,000-word fan theories. Most film watchers don't care about or even know about "alternative interpretations" (that is to say, poorly substantiated headcanon that always requires belief in a lot of stuff not in evidence) and of those who do, you are correct that most do see them as funny diversions or fun thought exercises. The problem arises when certain individuals get up their own rear end about their Alternative Interpretations to the extent that they forget that these are just silly games and not actually evidence that Darth Jar Jar or Secret Genius Michael Bay is a real thing, let alone that their existence is a material factor as to the quality of the movie.

You have a very dim view of movies

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

Sadly won't matter. This would need the greatest upswing in the history of cinema to become "Acceptable". It's hit basically all major markets I believe, and it's doing equally lovely in them too. It might end up making money, barely, but in no way would it be considered a success. Honestly if JL started filming a tiny bit later they'd probably shitcan Snyder. One movie that makes money but is critically iffy is one thing, another that is critically shat upon AND doesn't make money? That's a trend.

I don't know much about Hollywood accounting or whatever, but how bad of news is this? Is BvS going to be considered a failure?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Suicide Squad could very well be absolute poo poo.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

People responded more positively to the second Suicide Squad trailer so it's unfortunate those reshoot rumors are bunk. They could've had a solid movie there.

Maybe Leto will be a good Joker at least.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This seems like sour grapes considering Marvel movies are far more financially and critically successful.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Sorry guys I'm Team Marvel and the joke went over my head.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I loved the JGL sublot in TDKR

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

There's no way Civil War will be as bad as BvS right?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No, there are dozens of ways.

I find it hard to imagine Civil War being put together as clumsily as BvS.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Please don't be as lovely as BVS, Civil War :pray:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

He's still claiming that SS did reshoots to lighten the tone...?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

To be fair, those mumble core movies are mostly garbage

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

What any particular version of Batman does or doesn't do doesn't really have a bearing on the film's quality. Since the sequence where Batman toasts those guys with his jet and then breaks through that window is a kickin' rad piece of filmmaking, it's a kickin' rad piece of film. The comics still exist and will continue to do so. An adaption isn't beholden to them any further than taking whatever works for it. I mean I could be really mad that they made Iron Man into a snark machine when before in the comics he's usually the serious, leaderly one but it's better to accept the movie as its own thing.

The music and editing are fantastic. What follows when Batman infiltrates the building is one of the best action sequences I've seen in the movie theater since, well, I guess Man of Steel. That I think means more than "is this doing justice to the pen and ink version of Batman or the Timm cartoons or whatever.

That fight sequence is the only the memorable fight in the whole movie.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

I like how we've gone from "BvS sucked because Batman kills people <no further push on why thats important>" to "BvS sucked because it didn't inspire enough internet memes".

BvS sucking is indisputable.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Phylodox posted:

I was 29 when it came out.

You're welcome.

If my math is right you're over 100 years old?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Serious question: Do any of you use reviews or aggregators to determine if you're going to see a movie or not?

Yes. They at least give me a general idea if a movie is worth my time.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

HIJK posted:

Jared Leto alienated the cast and crew by acting like an rear end. Cutting his screentime was probably inevitable.

None of that poo poo actually happened

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I have a very clear memory of watching The A-Team with my dad and laughing with him at the absurdity of Mr. T spraying machine gun fire at the "bad guys", followed by cuts of them jumping out of their exploding vehicle or running away while bullets sprayed everywhere. Same with GI Joe always showing people bailing out of their crashing planes or jumping free of their exploding tanks or never getting hit anywhere but in the shoulder by their laser machine guns.Think that you can fire a machine gun at people at not hurt them? Yeah right. This was something my friends and I laughed at on the playground, how unrealistic and stupid it was.

At 10 years old I had realized that massive violence without consequences was just bullshit pandering so that kids could enjoy it. At 10 years old. There's really no hope for the people who haven't grasped that in their twenties or (shudder) older.

If someone chooses to beat the poo poo out of people then their moral code against killing doesn't matter, because a moral code vs. a brain hemorrhage caused by blunt impact trauma to the skull doesn't mean poo poo.

This is Batman. He knows exactly how to beat someone up without killing them

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Batfleck should just carry around a rifle and shoot everyone that gets in his way. gently caress martial arts. Drop the pretense. Kill kill kill!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

BvS would still suck if Batman didn't kill.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Begins is the weakest of the trilogy by orders of magnitude.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

loving hell Jesse Eisenberg sucked in BvS. I hope he doesn't come back.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Identity Crisis owned

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Actually, it didn't

I thought it was a compelling whodunit. A real page turner if you will. I should point out that I generally hate superhero comic books and the people who read them.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

People like jacking off their hate boners over Identity Crisis, and ignore that it has really good art and dialogue. There's some stupid poo poo in there, but Butter Pecan, and "I bet Batman never does this to his parents." when Superman hassles his mom for paying for her Daily Planet subscription when she didn't need to, is some of the most heartfelt stuff you'll find in a super hero book.

Yeah, that's what I dug about it. The rapport between the JL is top notch stuff. SH comics nearly always have horrific dialogue and lazy characterization so IC was compelling in that regard

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

And the way people responded to that was hilarious. You'd think Sue Dibny was a real person and they were friends with her.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Crion posted:

Frankly, it's hosed up that they weren't more graphic, in order to maximally troll those lame nerds. As it is, forums user "Y Kant Ozma Diet" can only make lovely posts fantasizing about how much worse an already terrible comic could be.

Sue Dibny deserved better and your shrill exasperated post has showed me the light. Now slip into your Superman onesie and go to bed.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Crion posted:

Oh hell yes, both versions of that post got preserved

I believe you're on your third iteration of that post. It keeps getting worse but keep chugging along little dude!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Crion posted:

I'm just glad there's even one thing about comic books you're willing to assess critically, regardless of how questionably edited it is.

Crion as in Crying. Crying for Sue Dibny (RIP)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Terminator 5 had some of the worst casting I've ever seen.

Bad movie

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Hey Simon Pegg made it.

And Jimmy Fallon

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I wonder if JL might do better in the long run than BvS? It's a worse movie of course but it's crowd pleasing schlock that might not get the bad word of mouth that BvS did.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

JL was a huge let down tho. Basically ruined every single character. I hope the loving nerds who cried about colour and levity are happy. Fuckers.

We got an MCU movie with even worse special effects. Just sloppy filmmaking from top to bottom.

But we got some Joss Whedon quips! :downs:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

What disappointed me the most about JL was how we’re constantly reminded that Diana is a super sexy lady. Also Superman’s 180 from being a guy who’s trying to figure out his place in the world and realizing that everything his does will have some sort of negative consequence to a happy go lucky guy who is cracking jokes was jarring.

He was utterly drained of any pathos. What was his takeaway from being dead?

"that was weird"

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Whedon ruins everything he touches. I'm so glad the Russos got the job for the next Avengers movies.

Remember in Age of Ultron when Captain America said a swear and Iron Man said "you kiss your mother with that mouth?"

Just hilarious stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think this thread is mostly populated by hardcore Snyder fans who think Wheedon broke their previous movie rather than Wheedon coming in and trying to bail water out of a sinking ship to make something remotely watchable under a 2 hour mandate with half completed footage.

It's almost like Whedon has literally never made a good movie in his life and he was brought in as a last ditch effort.

• Locked thread