Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm watching Ghost Rider 2 randomly on Netflix and it's... good!?

loving Pink Floyd album cover during the Devil Exposition montage.

Nicolas Cage being completely off his meds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Oh my god he's riding the giant wheel thing and now it's on fire.

Edit: And now we get Christoph Lambert as a crazy priest!

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 3, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Cage showing up in Avengers as the Rider is the only random cameo that would get me excited.

Also disappointed at Lambert not doing his trademark laugh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You know, with all the talk about the dream sequences in BvS and the cameos, I've been thinking about which one I'd really like to see.

"Now choose, Bruce Wayne, do you want a secret or a mystery?"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Let's be clear here, no super hero movie has had a final battle as good as the one from Godzilla. It's not a good comparison.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Clearly the photobomb option is the best choice.

Best Lex.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Whoopi Goldberg as Aunt May.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I liked PThortal 2. It, along with Ant-Man, Ghost Rider 2 and Man of Steel, has the only good fight scene in superhero movies.

Seriously, most Marvel movies are just variations on punch and punch harder and shoot a lot and sometimes scream or quip. A few have good choreography, but even then almost they never do anything creative with their powers, so the few exceptions stand out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Comic books are not fun.

Comic Books are amazing!

Super hero comic books tend to be very samey though. There's a huge world of fantastic comics from all around the world made over the last 70 years that deserve to be read.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

Both of these sentences are wrong

...no?

Comics books are amazing and super hero comics have a sad tendency to be very repetitive and samey, despite the occasional really original one. Doesn't make them bad or anything.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Captain America 3: Blood Dragon looking good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Does the Super Soldier Serum counts as a drug? Because winners don't use them.

Maybe this is the basis of conflict between Cap and former alcoholic Tony.

It could be considered the equivalent to becoming a cyber-commando. A Mark 0, if you will.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Read any good books lately?

McCloud posted:

Fixed that for you

Actually, it should be "Lived any good books lately?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PFcOeM_Usk

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Burkion posted:

So do the Guyver movies count for comic movies?

Because they're technically based on Japanese comics!

Sure.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jack of Hearts posted:

I'm fine with all further MCU and DCEU movies being garbage, with the exception of The Flash, which had better be good or I'm gonna cry.

Sam, except replace Flash with Aquaman.

I think the oceans are cool and their king too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tezzor posted:

Yeah Sad Scene #451 was my favorite part of the movie too. When I go to the Superman movie what I want is to be alternatively depressed, bored and disturbed. My only quibble was that visionary director Zach Snyder didn't include his signature epic slow mo rape scene

People have laughed at this post already, but I just really really want to underline the basic fact that what you want out of a movie doesn't matter. Sad movies are sad, happy movies are happy, and you can watch whatever one you prefer, but YOU CANT SAY A SAD MOVIE IS BAD BECAUSE IT ISN'T HAPPY! That's just stupidity on the level of hating a dog for not being a cat!

Also MoS isn't even that sad or depressing, jesus. I'm not a fan of the movie, but I can recognize and respect what is is, even if it's not what I want it to be.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

That's Learn to Fly

Learning to Fly is Tom Petty

You mean Pink Floyd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVhNCTH8pDs

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Avengers 2 isn't as bad as some people say on this forums (it's the internet message board effect, where everything is THE BEST or THE WORST ever), but the all CGI fight choreography, like Hulk vs Hulk Buster or Tony vs Ultron or Vision vs Ultron, is so much better than the live action choreography. The live actors are all directed in really weird ways. It is especially noticeable because of how good the choreography is in Ant-Man and Winter Solider. Or even just the CGI scene 20 minutes earlier in Ultron.

Ant-Man has some really cool, really creative fight scenes where they use their powers against each other in fun ways. I love it. Like, the fight between Ant-Man and the Falcon is so loving boss.

It also ends with a divorced family treated as a normal thing, which is super rare in Hollywood movies. I liked that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-_230SjbM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I was so disappointed with super hero movies last year (especially after how awesome 2014 was) that I skipped Ant-Man. I will have to watch it before Civil War, it is good to hear stuff like this!

It's far from perfect, but it's good parts are worth it and they also happen to be things other super hero movies usually get wrong, so it's a nice change of pace. I also skipped Ant-Man at first and only watched it when it came on Netflix.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

teagone posted:

:allears:

Really hope the solo Wonder Woman film will be good. :ohdear:

Oh man, that's a Tirailleur Sénégalais and a Zouave (and maybe a native american?), this is going to be loving great.

Speaking of WWI comic book movies, anyone like Luc Besson's Adèle Blanc-Sec movie? I had some troubles with it, because he took a pretty dark comic series (it includes WWI at some point, in all it's butchery), and turned it a funny adventure (sort-of trying for a French Indiana Jones, I guess). And that's a legitimate idea and not necessarily a bad movie, but the disconnect was pretty strong throughout for me.

And now Luc Besson next's project is another adaptation of a comic series I love, Valérian Space-TIme Agent, and I'm both pretty hype (it is closer in style to the Fifthe Element, so it might be great) but a bit worried a the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhmCHnNcWs

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

Watching Lucy and Malavita has rejuvenated my love for Besson, so thank you for bringing this to my attention. I haven't checked if the Tomb Raider discussion in the Greenlighted thread is still going on, but this would kinda fit :v:

Unfortunately, the discussion has veered hard into BvS territory.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I loved the Adèle Blanc-Sec film, she's pretty much a female early 20th century Indiana Jones mixed with the sense of humour from the Tintin comics. They're apparently planning two other films.

Yeah, but like I said the comic is... very much not that.

It's by french artist Jacques Tardi, who is... well, cynical is a way of describing him. He did a lot of stuff on WWI, especially focuse don the stupid butchery and the terribleness of the leadership and the pointlessness of the war.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Let's hope the movie keeps up the tradition of Valerian the time-cop from the future being kind of a dope and Laureline the medieval peasant girl being the smarter one who gets things done.

Edit: Also if the Shingouz aren't in there I will scream.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 26, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Not like canon is a meaningful concept anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You know, I really want a Doom Patrol movie. The Brotherhood of Dada deserves to be on the big screen.

Although thinking about it modern special effects might be too good for the Doom Patrol. It needs to have those weird camera tricks and puppets of 80s mid-budget horror movies to really work.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Boob Marley posted:

Here is the full chart. Use it to create your opinions/feelings.

That chart cannot be right because Ghost Rider 2 was great. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Thor 2 had the Portal fight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My father's a huge cinephile so I grew up on cool old french movies, like Les Disparus de St-Agil (The Vanished of St-Agil, a story about teenagers investigating a mystery at a pre-war boardig school) or L'Assassinat du Père Noël (The Assasination of Santa Claus, in an isolated french mountain village, someone has killed Santa Claus).

One of m favorite was a cartoon movie called Le Roi et l'Oiseau (The King and the Mockingbird), which I must have seen at least 50 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tE5902k3nE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every Christmas since as long as I can remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jzsKJvWiEI

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Plenty of Batman villains haven't made it to the big screen: Man-Bat, Clayface, the Mad Hatter, Hugo Strange, Calendar Man, etc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

After all this tmnt talk, I wonder...

Where's the Bucky O'Hare reboot?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

broken clock opsec posted:

I'm pretty sure there's still a contingent here holding out unironic hope for Triple H for some role or other.

Triple H as Himself vs Batman.

AT WRESTLEMANIA!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

This might out me as a tool, but Linkin Park's fourth album is actually real good. It's simultaneously a really obvious album about how terrible nuclear war is and a touching one about about suicidal depression. And they're way different from Hybrid Theory, a lot less rap-rock-y than they used to be. I don't give a poo poo about anything they did after that, they made the one thing they were meant to make and now they're back to making Dumb Bullshit.

edit: Also you're allowed to like Hybrid Theory when you're 13, because it's exactly the emotional level of a 13-year-old.

Yeah, I don't really care about the rest of their work, I loving love A Thousand Suns and I ain't ashamed to say it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMo1WoHcfE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I believe in our Lord and Savior Mothra.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kong isn't as good or as strong as Godzilla, but he'll go the distance.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FInally, the sequel to The Shadow I've been waiting for all these years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRcZ4Pw2t_8

I'm not even kidding.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Will Doctor Strange learn the Secret Names of Streets?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Doctor Strange seriously reminds me a lot of The Shadow from that trailer, except with 20 more years of cinematic technology and a bigger budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Part of Iron Fist's thing is that he's a rich white kid who hangs out with lower class and minority characters and learns from them.

Me, I'm hoping they get an asian actor to play Fu Manchu.

• Locked thread