Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

“We actually have a pretty good batting average, all things considered. ”

uhhhh

Fox has made other movies than F4nt4st4c F4rt. Even other Marvel movies, such as Deadpool, which just made all the money, and X-Men Apocalypse, which is on track to also make a poo poo-ton of money.

Taking all the Marvel stuff Fox has done combined? Yeah, they're not doing too badly. They just can't figure out what to do with the Fantastic Four, specifically.

Chairman Capone posted:

Punisher: War Zone was all right (and just all right), but all the stuff referring back to his family getting killed and how sad he was were the most cringeworthy and tonally dissonant parts of the movie. Not to mention, there was just a Punisher movie two years ago, yeah it wasn't technically connected, but why feel the need to go back to that setup?

I mean, it's kind of Frank's defining thing. Frank is pretty much solely fueled by the grief over his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

It was a bad movie, the 4 stylization in the title is dumb, and I felt like attempting cleverness. :smith:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

It WAS good though, and it turned out Gondry was a great action director.

Yeah, I saw The Green Hornet in the theater and actually really dug it? It wasn't perfect but I had fun with it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

So aside from the by far largest comic book franchise ever created, people ask nerds which movies to watch. Unless those movies are X3, The Amazing Spiderman 2, or a whole bunch of other bad movies that made a bunch of money.

X3 and ASM2 were sequels to fairly good movies, so the initial "hey, nerd friend, should I see this?" word of mouth was probably "gently caress YES DO IT." ASM2 still underperformed compared to what Sony expected, by all accounts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sean10mm posted:

And how does X-Men: Apocalypse have bad special effects with a budget of almost $250 million? :signings:

Because the cast is starting to get tired of doing superhero poo poo and they're having to dump absurd money on them to keep them happy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, the machine is really only a bad thing when there's actual friction between them and the creative types (such as in Edgar Wright's case). When they support what a director's trying to do, I'd say they have a positive effect more than anything.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MacheteZombie posted:

Or how he considers Marvel's winning formula to be "these mythic caped heroes come striding out of the fog, lit from below and backlit. And then they stub their toe!"

He's kind of got a point there. One thing that's always set Marvel apart from DC, even back in the 70s, was the fundamental humanity of their characters. They're extraordinarily empowered people, but they're still people. DC's tried to hit this a few times, and most of their best work succeeds at it, but they've always had a more detached view of their heroes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Who the gently caress is Rom Spaceknight? I asked a few people and nobody has heard of him.

ROM Spaceknight is an 80s Marvel comic based on a toyline nobody remembers, where a robot man flies around space fighting aliens. It became kind of a cult hit, despite not taking off in the mainstream, because after a certain point it started getting really dark and weird and cool.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oddium posted:

just how high was this guy !! haha !! i'm so intrinsically bankrupt of creativity that drugs and art are synonymous to me

on the other hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRXVHfbgp_U

that's not creativity, that's just bugfuck insanity

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JediTalentAgent posted:

Fox might not 'need' the three big stars of the First Class reboot of films any time soon, though.

New Mutants could likely get away with none of them in it if the script dealt with a non-Charles era of the school. Wolverine 3 might not need any of them for more than cameo or flashbacks. The proposed Gambit movie could likely get away with zero interaction with the previously established X-Men characters and the Deadpool sequel could likely go the same way. X-Force, too, could likely be devoid of the Mystique/Xavier/Magneto characters. T

That's a good 4-6 year window of films Fox could do without the three before Fox might figure the time is right to put another true X-Men movie into production with those characters, and a potential new FF reboot in there too if they think they can finally find a formula for that that works.

Also, if they did decide to ditch McAvoy and Fassbender, Stewart and McKellen probably have another movie or two left in them. And they're also way more associated with the characters, even after First Class and DoFP, than the new actors.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Ron Perlman in a role that requires a prosthetic on his arm?

Never work

Well, more to the point, he'd have to take enough HGH to knock Bruce Banner on his rear end to look right.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

Ron Perlman in a role that requires prosthetic muscles?

Never work.

I mean, if we're going to go that route, you really may as well cast a WWE guy and just have Perlman ADR over him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Leto's Joker owns. :colbert:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

Meh and sigh. I already lost a significant amount of interest the moment Rodriguez was attached to direct. Shame... I would have been stoked about any casting news otherwise.

It's still based on Cameron's script and Rodriguez is working with Cameron on it. It's not a pure Rodriguez joint, and I don't think Cameron would have handed it to him if he didn't have faith it'd turn out better than Machete Kills and Sin City 2.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Electromax posted:

I thought spandex was the under armor stuff:

Thus imagining this:

...Which is what that Batman costume looked like to me, just with a more lanky guy in it. Must be some other material.

This is actually a fair point, something like that could look pretty rad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Brian Michael Bendis revealed that HBO is adapting his comic Scarlet.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/atx-brian-michael-bendis-scarlet-hbo-1201770613/
The synopsis at Bendis' website is pretty intriguing.

Seriously, how are so many celebrities apparently Highlanders? Patrick Stewart hasn't aged and Trent Reznor's actively aged backwards since he got off heroin.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Miracleman is now owned by Marvel, who are owned by Disney.

They will never make a good movie adaptation of Miracleman.

Given that it's not part of the Marvel universe, they might be willing to license it out like how Kick rear end and Kingsman happened.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

They made a comment about, after getting the rights and making it public, wanting to pursue more in movie form and the like.

Which is an awful idea.

Maybe some one could do a good Miracleman movie, as its story is pretty perfect FOR a movie, but I have very little hope for that to happen

That doesn't mean Marvel Studios is going to do it. Marvel Studios seems pretty dedicated to the MCU, which it'd be really goddamn weird to shoehorn Miracleman into, and I think everyone involved with working out that clusterfuck realizes that. You're more likely to see it done by Fox or Lionsgate.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mierenneuker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaACrT6Ydik

If the video doesn't load, it's *takes a breath* Juicy J, Wiz Khalifa, Ty Dolla $ign - Shell Shocked ft. Kill The Noise & Madsonik

This song is honestly so much better than it has any right to be. I wanna see more rappers working with EDM producers.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, uh... are they not even bothering with him having a secret identity?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy A. Person posted:

??

These aren't production stills they are just shots of him standing around on set. His face probably got hot in the mask.

Oh, fair enough, I interpreted the backpack ones as "he's going to school in full costume in Homecoming."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mierenneuker posted:

I hear it's improved by duct taping select areas of your screen.

That's not the point of the aspect ratio posts. The point is that Avengers doesn't make good use of its relatively tall aspect ratio, which is a fair point to make about a movie's cinematography.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Equeen posted:

I hope he's the former. I can't see him as Dick.

I hope it's the latter because anyone other than Ron Perlman or Manu Bennett as Deathstroke is a bad decision :colbert:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

Are there any specific runs of comics where Geoff Johns specifically hosed up and pissed off fans? Can someone summarize that in like a few sentences?

He wrote Blackest Night, which is a loving abomination and almost certainly where the backlash against DC doing "grimdark" things stemmed from. He also completely sidelined all the interesting Green Lanterns in favor of the really boring one, though that's less of an issue.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LesterGroans posted:

Oh, nice, a Ghost Rider Netflix series could be really-

Oh.

If he's just a one-off or minor recurring character on AoS, he'll almost certainly get a Netflix show. It's TV and movies where never the twain shall meet, not different branches of TV; the problem is Perlmutter not wanting to work with the rest of Marvel, and both AoS and Netflix Marvel are in his toybox.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

well why not posted:

The Thor logo is a bit concerning - I hope this isn't Marvel doubling down on retro nostalgia. Guardians is enough.

while on the whole I'd be against Marvel doing that, if we get Thor 3: Blood Dragon out of it I'm gonna be absurdly goddamn happy

one of these Marvel movies just taking an 80s aesthetic and revelling in it would unironically loving own, the nouveau-80s aesthetic may be "played out" but I am still a huge mark for it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fuckman posted:

Three characters meet in the woods. Thor is angry that his very dangerous brother has escaped and mere mortals who don't know what they are dealing with refuse to hand him to the gods' justice. Tony Stark is irreverent, literally, which further angers Thor, who we know to be a pompous, violent hothead. Stark is arrogant and possessive and dismissive, he sees Thor as an annoyance and an interloper keeping him from his goal. Thor sees Stark as a deluded fool. Thor attacks and Stark rises to the challenge, to prove the tech he built is above so-called magic. From afar, Loki watches with glee. They fight and Thor inadvertently gives Stark a brief advantage, which sets the tone - Thor is clearly more powerful, but Stark's cleverness keeps them evenly matched. Steve Rogers arrives to play peacemaker, but misjudged how much Thor - an unknown to him at this point- is amped for a fight. Thor blindly attacks Rogers in a rage, causing a wave of destruction. The characters stand up, the climax passed. Rogers asks "Are we done here," and indeed, we are. But the cinematography is lame, and that's the important thing, say guys who defend the Star Wars prequels.

On the other hand, two characters hate each other, but one realizes that they both have a mommy named Martha. But with good slow-mo cinematography pictures you could screenshot for your wallpaper. I can't imagine why one is considered a boring mess

To be more accurate, Batman "hates" Superman because he looks at Superman and sees this weird hosed-up alien that everyone's treating like a god. Superman's opinion is more like "dude stop there's more important poo poo going on." The Martha thing kind of works for me because it humanizes Superman in Batman's eyes- it reveals to Batman that Superman isn't just the blue spandex and cape, there's also a regular, ordinary farm boy named Clark hiding under there who's just as terrified of the deification he's receiving as Batman is. It's a little clunky, but I can totally see where they were going with it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ferrinus posted:

It's not even that. In fact, Batman acknowledges - as he winds up to murder Superman - that he's sure Superman had a mommy and daddy just like Batman did, and that mommy and daddy told Superman that Superman'd be special, etc, but tough poo poo it's time to die.

What snaps Batman out of it is the accusation that BATMAN'S letting people kill BATMAN'S OWN mom - which he is, figuratively speaking.

Well, yeah, on the surface he's aware that that was a thing beforehand, but it doesn't truly sink in until he sees Superman in a moment of weakness- one which connects back to the original perceived moment of weakness that Bruce became Batman over. Batman initially sees the farm boy reporter as the mask and the demigod as the underlying thing, when in reality Superman's the other way around.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

Are there any credible rumours about Moon Knight being anyone in anything?

If they do another round of new Netflix shows after Defenders, Moon Knight seems like a pretty obvious one, but they haven't nailed anything down yet.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I didn't like the book (or the movie, for that matter), but I remember this ad making me think it was going to be great.

Honestly, I'm pretty okay with the Fincher movie. The source material being lovely weighs it down, but they did the best they could regardless.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yoshifan823 posted:

I also don't buy that a New Gods movie is gonna be a thing

There's already Motherboxes, Parademons and Darkseid. The hard part of setting it up is already over.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

dishonouring loved money fresh tomato. heroes spat upon nature

deeply unhappy why viral hear you do something happy again

:crossarms:

your secret message is confusing me

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Most mass murderers throughout history have viewed their actions as acceptable.

If he'd not done it and just let the world blow up in nuclear fire, that wouldn't exactly have been better from a moral standpoint.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

LORD OF BOOTY, I'm writing to you from an alternate future where Dr. Manhattan doesn't exist, and the Cold War didn't end when we were attacked by psychic aliens. The Cold War still ended, and it didn't involve aliens or nuclear war. It also didn't involve a man named Adrian Veidt making billions of dollars from shrewd investments in the aftermath of an alien attack.

You can't exactly use our past to judge the situation Watchmen presents us with, though, because, as you mentioned, Dr. Manhattan doesn't exist. He's the key bit there. His presence escalated things drastically in the Watchmen universe, leading to a choice between "Veidt doing his alien thing" or "the Soviet Union and the USA blowing each other to poo poo." This isn't even subtextual, these are things that both versions say directly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

What is our source for the notion that Veidt's plan was the only plan that could have possibly prevented apocalypse? IIRC, none other than Veidt himself. He formulated the only conceivable plan to stop a nuclear eschaton, which conveniently didn't cost him anything he couldn't replace, eliminated his enemies, and made him even more fantastically rich than he was before. It's not exactly subtextual that the whole thing was a bid to make himself richer and, much more meaningfully, stroke his own ego.

Well, mostly the fact that he's the only one with a plan. Had someone else in the story come up with something better, I would not exactly be defending Veidt, and I'm also not going to say for sure that his plan worked (I took Manhattan's statements to Veidt as basically "you can't fix human nature, this situation's gonna pop back up eventually," rather than directly "your plan failed"), but he's really hard to outright fault, given the choices available.

Schwarzwald posted:

The threat of Dr. Manhatten isn't that he's a super powerful human/outright god, the threat of Dr. Manhatten is that he strengthens the US against the USSR and so destabilizes the balance between the two nuclear powers.

This is something that happened in real life.

But to a different degree and with different specific effects. That's the thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Prometheus always loving sucked. From day 1. His gimmick doesn't even make sense. He "downloads" fighting styles? And somehow he "downloaded" Batman's fighting style? Where the gently caress did he get that from? Also there's absolutely nothing about him that is reminiscient of the greek mythology Prometheus so his name makes no sense either.

He's like Mega Man, or Kazuo Kiriyama from Battle Royale: monkey see, then monkey do with impressive skill. It's not particularly original but it's not that out-there of a concept; hell, Taskmaster in Marvel can do nearly the exact same thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Maxwell Lord posted:

All I know about Prometheus is he was the main villain in Cry for Justice, in which everyone says the word "justice" a bunch of times and then he kills a bunch of people.

Oh yeah, the event where the logo could be very easily read as "GAY FOR JUSTICE" and yet nobody at DC noticed this until it was way too late

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

All comic book movie TV news should be presented by the trio of newscasters from Spawn where one was straightforward and serious and the others a shallow celebrity news presenter and a conspiracy theorist.

Spawn has so many good ideas and it kind of annoys me that they've only ever done anything cohesive with them in the HBO cartoon.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brainiac Five posted:

drat, didn't know those were as bad as Identity Crisis. Thank you for warning me away from them. :)

While I'd put them in the same tier of quality, they're different kinds of bad; Identity Crisis was an idea that could have been fantastic executed absurdly poorly, Arrow and Flash are mediocre ideas done in a mediocre way.

Watch Arrow up to when Manu Bennett peaces out of the show, I'd say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

People still talk about Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child.

No one talks about Spawn, ever.

I talk about it every now and then! It's not a good movie, but it's a fun little piece of 90s camp, and John Leguizamo throwing his entire self into playing a demon clown is hilarious.

• Locked thread