Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Cameo posted:

Weird to see that since every single report during the casting of BvS kept on saying "oh, at this point, Gordon's dead, the Robins have died or moved on..."

So I wonder what the reason for him not being in BvS is. Retired, maybe?

For Robin, there's actually hints in the trailers that Robin in this version of the Justice League universe turned into the Joker who is in Suicide Squad. This has been a story in the comics and cartoon tv shows, and a lot of the imagery is exactly the same as in those. This is probably completely off base though and not true at all, but it's fun to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am really interested in seeing Slipknot on screen. The trailer has given us nothing other then he punches out some lady with zero context shown.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am really interested in seeing how Bucky Barnes ties into all of this, he wasn't even apart of the comic story right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rhyno posted:

There's a shitload of stuff in the comic that isn't in the film as Hemsworth isn't playing an evil clone of Thor in this.

Speaking of, if Thor is not in this, does that mean that in the movie time line that Thor: Ragnarok is happening at around the same time as Civil War?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jutsuka posted:

Taking a closer look at the screen where Thunderbolt Ross is showing the clips from previous films the canon deathtoll is as follows:

The Avengers
Overall losses $18.8 billion, 74 casualties.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Overall losses $2.8 billion, 23 casualties.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Overall losses $474 billion, 177 casualties.

So in three films depicting an alien invasion of New York led by an Asgardian god, three helicarriers crashing in the middle of Washington D.C. and a rogue A.I. intent on engineering an extinction level event the total loss of life is 274 people.

The Avengers can't be accurate because some of the most expensive real estate in the world was blown up, plus we see a clip of a newspaper that claims hundreds died in the attack on New York City.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

$429 billion in damages. At least $400 billion was from car death.

I swear they are terrified of getting the same criticism as MoS and have been trying to minimize it ever since. Even "hundreds" is a preposterous estimate, given what we see in the first 5 minutes after the portal opens and the Chitari are shooting exploding lasers at crowds of people, cars, and buildings.

They should just go with it cause it means Civil War's story makes a lot more sense. it adds a lot more weight to what is going on. Don't retcon this Marvel! This actually matters a lot to the overall Avengers storyline.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Im tired of Mystique. Mystique sucks now

She is on the same level to me as Wolverine. I am just really tired of seeing these two X-Men, when that universe has so many more interesting mutants. First Class killing a few of them really pissed me off but I still like the two current X-Men movies a lot. Also Sophie Turner looks stupid and out of place in Apocalypse.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

God drat I am so excited for Batman vs. Superman next week.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's really unfair to say Superman is tainted in Man of Steel over killing Zod who just straight up was going to wipe out all life on earth in order to create a new world for himself and his radical military diehards. You could make the argument that Zod wasn't even a person anyways since everything about him, from the moment he was created, was to kill and destroy in order to make way for his own race of massive failures.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like it's perfectly okay to change some of this stuff about these super heroes. Batman in this new movie clearly kills people without mercy. Watch the latest trailer, he is body slamming bad guys through floors and slamming them head first into hard objects, no way anyone in that room he took out survived those brutal attacks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Besides, this a Zack Snyder movie. Man of Steel was tame as gently caress for him. I fully expected that movie to have a scene where Superman rips a dudes head off and covers himself in the victims blood. Batman vs. Superman will get an R-Rated version for the blu-ray release, so maybe it'll still have 300 or Watchmen levels of blood and gore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

wyoming posted:

That was one of my favorite parts of Dark Knight, where the mob dude is like "Falling from this height wouldn't kill me." "I'M COUNTING ON IT" and pushes him off and it brutally shatters his legs, like, holy poo poo.

I felt like Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy was as much about how absurd Bruce Wayne/Batman then it is about how he is a hero. Batman vs. Superman seems to go that direction too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Finally saw Antman after not having a chance to catch it in theaters. It's pretty good.

Right? Ant-Man I thought was fantastic. Marvels best movies have been their new movie heroes, like Guardians of the Galaxy. Makes me excited for Dr. Strange.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want to see Batman and Superman kill people because no one is truly innocent and everyone is deserving of justice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

porfiria posted:

Goddamn Avengers 2 is bad.

I'm the only person in the entire world that liked this movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Savidudeosoo posted:

I will, till the day I die, argue for Age of Ultron's mediocracy

I really liked Tony Stark in Age of Ultron. It feels like a continuation of everything that happened to him in Iron Man 3 and his fear of what will happen to the world if he cannot personally keep things under control. Age of Ultron made him out to be the villain, not Ultron who as far as I saw it was just an extension of Stark. Ultron is all of Starks demons. I watched the Iron Man trilogy over the weekend, and i'm not good at words but it made me appreciate Age of Ultron a lot more when you look at the film from the perspective of Tony Stark and everything that happened in the Iron Man movies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Except for the part where he solves everyone's problems using the exact same thought process and experiments that made Ultron?

He doesn't solve anyone's problems tho? He stops Ultron, but leaves the entire world in complete and utter fear of super heroes, hence the setup to Civil War. Everything about Tony Stark is preventing threats before they begin, the whole problem with Nick Furry in the Winter Soldier.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

I had an argument with a friend about Age of Ultron where I argued that Marvel's problem was not that they cut up Joss Whedon's script so much, but that Joss Whedon wrote a loving 3 1/2 hour movie and Marvel said "yeah go ahead and film that" instead of "gently caress you Joss, go make a movie that won't be cut to shreds". He was totally fine with the idea of a 3 1/2 hour Age of Ultron, which is right above a 3 1/2 hours of a blank screen in terms of "things I want to watch".

I thought this was normal for scripts to be really long and then cut later on? We just never hear about it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

The big joke for Marvel properties is that each movie is just a 2 hour long trailer for the next film, but that actually seems to be the case with Batman vs Superman. Our worst fears realized.

The Marvel movies right now are one big story. Everything is tied together.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

First image from the Wonder Woman movie is out.

It triggers me to no end that this image is cropped.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Scyantific posted:

Garry Shandling, aka Senator Stern from Iron-Man 2 and The Winter Soldier, apparently passed away today.

drat shame we'll never get to see him tell Stark to go gently caress himself ever again :(

Awww, this makes me sad. I was just thinking about his character last week. I was hoping we would see more of him in future Marvel movies because he was working for Hydra.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This just happened today too. Reports are saying he was fine this morning and then a 911 call was made from his home, he was transported to the hospital where he was apparently awake and talking and then he died. loving crazy how that can just happen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

As excited as I am for Suicide Squad, i'm a bit concerned and confused about the storyline. I feel like the trailers are not doing enough to give the basic premise behind this film. In the previous trailer we see Amanda Waller trying to sell her crazy idea to some generals over dinner, and then in this new trailer she is doing it again at the White House? Why though? And what does Superman have to do with all of this? From how the trailers talk about him, this takes place after Batman vs. Superman, so he is dead at this point. What is the anxiety that the government is having that makes them feel that these locked away villains need to be brought out to do something?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The movie was garbage, no one cares about spoilers for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

like i said i dont care that much, its just weird to me because like - u see ppl freakin out over the FYAD Star Wars title or whatever

That was a few days before anyone even had a chance to see the film though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

computer parts posted:

After Superman showed up, these crazy villains started showing up too (of the Killer Croc variety, not the Joker variety). They were captured in the 2 years between Man of Steel and BvS, but Waller is trying to persuade the government to use them in some sort of black ops mission that has plausible deniability.

As for what the mission is, it's unclear.

Okay I was wondering if I was just nuts and missing something really obvious from the trailers. What are some of the differences we know about so far from the comic? I have never read it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Never mind, I hate all of Star Wars now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Okay, fair enough, but it did lead to that effect of "Now I'm just waiting for the part where it happens" and as soon as the scene started I felt a little bit sadder that I was spoiled on it.

It is hilarious to me that Mark Hamill got top billing for a less than one minute cameo where he doesn't speak.

He probably got paid up front for the next movie too since he begun acting in that film almost right away.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

"the second installment" wait, was the Godzilla movie from a few years ago the first movie?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PiedPiper posted:

Captain Confederacy.

I kind of get where Cap is coming from, but what is his solution exactly? To answer to nobody?

One of the clips released spells this out, he wants to answer to nobody because he is concerned about bureaucracy getting in the way of allowing the Avengers to do their job. He doesn't trust the system because after Hydra he see's it as easily corrupted.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PiedPiper posted:

What if HE is with Hydra?

Well I mean he was doing their dirty work for awhile there before Winter Soldier without realizing it. :kiddo:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I do feel like Captain America would vote for Donald Trump.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PiedPiper posted:

If anything, I think Cap is socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

I hope Captain America at least reads this http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/7-things-people-who-say-theyre-fiscally-conservative-socially-liberal-dont

I feel like Captain America would be better if he pulled a Superman and stopped being American, but then his name would be really awkward at that point.

Josh Lyman posted:

I read that the budget for Infinity War is $1 billion, with $400m going to directors, writers, producers, and principal cast, and $200 million of that going to RDJ.

I mean, good on his agent for squeezing every last dollar out of Disney, but gat drat.

No way that's accurate, not for two movies. What are the current record holders an actor and director have gotten for money for doing a movie?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Cap has nothing in his life except the fight, and no home to go to.

Is this why he appears to be so protective of Bucky? Best friends and all that but Bucky committed some pretty serious war crimes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cythereal posted:

From what I've gathered, yes. Cap sacrificed everything he was and might have been when he became Captain America, with one exception: Bucky. Bucky is the one and only lifeline Cap still has to the person he used to be.

This was also apparently supposed to be Cap's main thrust in Age of Ultron: his greatest fear, as demonstrated by Scarlet Witch, is winning and having nothing to fight for. Cap dreads being a supersoldier in a world that doesn't need a supersoldier. Even Chris Evans brought it up in an interview, that he plays Cap as a person who doesn't put on a costume or gear to become a superhero, Captain America is his primary identity day in and day out, and this in Evans' mind is a large source of Cap's friction with people like Stark, Banner, and Romanov - people who punch their time cards when they put on the suits, then clock out at the end of the day and go back to being normal, everyday people.

From the trailers, I really like the way in which Steve views Bucky, with compassion and understanding. There's this complex relationship between the two that for the audience feels uncomfortable because you know what Bucky did as a brainwashed soldier, but have to appreciate the loyalty Steve has to his best friend even though he almost died because of it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In the movie universe, is Captain America feared though? Kinda interested in seeing which superheroes the public is scared of. Bruce Banner/the Hulk is a given, but who else does everyone mistrust?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cvnvcnv posted:

:psypop:

Yes, there is. Plenty of people are all for individual rights and against big government. What in the world is this?

You could argue though that some of these beliefs are misguided. Social and economic policy are connected to each other and a lot of people don't understand how having differing views on both creates a lot of confusing conflict. Conservative fiscal policy tends to hurt social progress.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's going to be hard to undue some of the things Whedon did, i'm glad he is no longer making Infinity War.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I saw someone on another site talk about how a better idea for Hawkeye in Age of Ultron, would have been if he had a sister he was protecting, plus there would be that connection with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Giving him a wife and kids was really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Cap is utterly and completely certain in himself, he does not ever question himself or doubt that he is doing the right thing. He may at times trust the wrong people, but Cap never pauses to consider whether or not he's right, or admit culpability for the negative consequences of his actions.

This is kinda the theory behind why Cap was almost able to lift Thor's hammer in Ultron.

• Locked thread